Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MasterfulDark

Custom Enemy appears invisible

Posted (edited)

My enemy is based on unused system shock sprites for a machine. It has melee attacks.. and that's about it.

Sounds do work when i summon the enemy. 

Here's Decorate (note: pain 0 and pain state aren't supposed to be here, they were added because i read somewhere that without them the enemy is invisible. but they didn't help, so i will remove them once i fix the problem)

Spoiler

ACTOR Lifter 1984
{
  Obituary "%o was ran over by a Lifter"
  Health 600
  Radius 35
  Height 50
  Mass 1000
  Pain 0
  Speed 15
  MeleeRange 50
  Monster
  +NOPAIN
  SeeSound "lifter/sight"
  DeathSound "lifter/death"
  ActiveSound "lifter/active"
  States
  {
  Spawn:
    LFTR AB 10 A_Look
    Loop
  See:
    LFTR ABC 5 A_Chase
    Loop
  Melee:
    LFTR AB 8 A_FaceTarget
    LFTR C 8 A_CustomMeleeAttack (random(7,13), "lifter/melee", "lifter/miss")
    Goto See
  Pain:
    LFTR ABC 5 A_Pain
    Goto See
  Death:
    LFTR F 5
    LFTR J 5 A_Scream
    LFTR H 5
    LFTR I 5 A_NoBlocking
    LFTR J -1
    Stop
  }
}

Sprites go as this:

LFTR A1 A2A8 A3A7 A4A6 A5 B1 B2B8 B3B7 B4B6 B5 C1 C2C8 C3C7 C4C6 C5 (Alive)

LFTR F0 G0 H0 I0 J0 (Death)

So all in all i have 20 png sprites. Also i positioned them correctly in slade (with modify offsets thing).

They are in .wad and positioned between S_START and S_END.

Posted (edited)

your sprites are probably not aligned or what ever its called

you can align them manually or open them in something like slade and have it do the work for you

in slade you can select all the sprites and hit one of the two buttons that show up instead of the sprites and then if you hit the right one you can select align as monster or something like that and it will align them all for you

In the Death state, you have the frames going FJHIJ instead of FGHIJ.  This isn't the cause of the invisibility, but you might want to fix that, too.

Maybe your png images are in a format not supported by the game engine.  To test this, make a copy of your wad, and in the copy, use Slade to convert the pngs into doom graphic format.  If that make the monster visible (but perhaps ugly), then my hypothesis is confirmed.  Maybe PNG Palleted would look better than Doom Graphic.

Update: the problem is no more, somehow it just.. started working. I suspect i was launching the wrong wad.

21 hours ago, Empyre said:

In the Death state, you have the frames going FJHIJ instead of FGHIJ.  This isn't the cause of the invisibility, but you might want to fix that, too.

Maybe your png images are in a format not supported by the game engine.  To test this, make a copy of your wad, and in the copy, use Slade to convert the pngs into doom graphic format.  If that make the monster visible (but perhaps ugly), then my hypothesis is confirmed.  Maybe PNG Palleted would look better than Doom Graphic.

Thanks! Gonna fix it right away.