Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WeDemBois

Eternal possibly removes the pistol?

Ever since that first reveal at E3 2018, there's been one question on my mind: Will the pistol be better than 2016?

Let's be honest, only about 1% of people used the pistol after the first mission apart from people who do pistol challenges and those sort of things. So I really wouldn't be surprised if the devs just thought "If no one used it, then why should it be in the next game?".

Another reason for me thinking this is that there's literally no pistol in the weapon wheel in ALL gameplay reveals. Maybe they could be hiding it for Quakecon 2019?

TL;DR: I think Doom Eternal is gonna pull a Quake I and start us off with a shotty.

Don't quote me on this but I think somebody else on these forums said the pistol was in the game.

5 minutes ago, STILES said:

Don't quote me on this but I think somebody else on these forums said the pistol was in the game.

I kinda hope so. A pistol similar to a remake of the original would be nice.

Everyone needs a fallback weapon when you run out of ammo, the Doom 2016 pistol was a big improvement over just having bare knuckle in the Original Doom. At least you stood a fighting chance in 2016.

5 hours ago, WeDemBois said:

I think Doom Eternal is gonna pull a Quake I and start us off with a shotty.

Quake 1 also had an axe, so I think there will be a non ammo weapon like the pistol.

Maybe you get access to better weapons early. I remember C & C Tiberian Wars giving you access to the Ion Cannon already in your 1st mission. Why should the Slayer loose all his weapons after the end of Doom 2016? 

10 hours ago, igg said:

Quake 1 also had an axe, so I think there will be a non ammo weapon like the pistol.

Maybe you get access to better weapons early. I remember C & C Tiberian Wars giving you access to the Ion Cannon already in your 1st mission. Why should the Slayer loose all his weapons after the end of Doom 2016? 

Samuel could have taken them away when he ports you out of Mars. 

The pistol is a staple of the series , I'd be surprised if they remove it. As already said , you NEED that fall back weapon.

3 hours ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

Samuel could have taken them away when he ports you out of Mars. 

I think the ending doesn't imply this. He just fetches the Crucible. The Slayer never lost his weapons in previous teleportation. On the other side we still have to learn how the demons were able to enter our universe again

The Well has been shutdown. 

4 minutes ago, igg said:

I think the ending doesn't imply this. He just fetches the Crucible. The Slayer never lost his weapons in previous teleportation. On the other side we still have to learn how the demons were able to enter our universe again

The Well has been shutdown. 

The well, yes... but Argent energy channeling devices have been seeded all over the Earth for possibly more than a century now. That's direct energy from Hell itself, which essentially translates into hell-damned souls at the end of the day. Shoving enough of that into a concentrated mass could possibly be tearing at reality for all we know. That's not even counting all the -active- cults specifically trying to work towards inviting Hell. UAC is the most known cult, but it's entirely possible that they are only one of many. And further more; we don't know how much time has passed. For all we know, just as Doom 2016 was taking place, Earth was already being invaded. 

5 hours ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

The well, yes... but Argent energy channeling devices have been seeded all over the Earth for possibly more than a century now. [...] For all we know, just as Doom 2016 was taking place, Earth was already being invaded. 

Can you explain these two points in more detail? I just replayed Doom 2016 and I don't remember any reference on a) Argent Energy on Earth or b) Earth already being invaded.

Edited by igg : Fixed grammar

1 hour ago, igg said:

Can you explain these two points in more detail? I just replayed Doom 2016 and I don't remember any reference on Argent Energy on Earth already being invaded.

Was Earth not invaded at the end of 2016? I thought I heard someone say that.

They should improve it instead. Make it a skill-based weapon. For example, make headshots do 4 times as much damage. 

3 hours ago, igg said:

Can you explain these two points in more detail? I just replayed Doom 2016 and I don't remember any reference on a) Argent Energy on Earth or b) Earth already being invaded.

The entire purpose of the Argent Energy Tower is to extract and package Argent energy for use on Earth and throughout the solar system, as is stated in several in-game codex entries, hologram speeches, etc. When Samuel himself says, "We solved an energy crisis that the world had no answer for," he's specifically referring to Earth.

The energy sent there is the blue, supposedly purified form of the energy, but the game seems to hint that there is really no completely safe process and that the UAC is either deluded, or is deliberately concealing the risks.

46 minutes ago, Quasar said:

The entire purpose of the Argent Energy Tower is to extract and package Argent energy for use on Earth and throughout the solar system, as is stated in several in-game codex entries, hologram speeches, etc. When Samuel himself says, "We solved an energy crisis that the world had no answer for," he's specifically referring to Earth.

The energy sent there is the blue, supposedly purified form of the energy, but the game seems to hint that there is really no completely safe process and that the UAC is either deluded, or is deliberately concealing the risks.

To be more precise: 

A) Taurus Daggerknight wrote about Argent channeling devices on Earth. I thought this means Argent energy is being "collected" or "gathered" on Earth too which I consider necessary for a Hell invasion. Small Argent batteries shouldn't be enough for a Hell portal? I remember Hayden using Argent energy as a solution for Earths energy crisis but his final speech (loss of Argent energy and Vega) hints that the Argent breach on Mars is closed and no others are available. Wasn't the Well the Argent source? So, when the Slayer closed it even Samuels crucible can't recreate another Argent breach on Earth since the Well is lost. Maybe Samuel looked for other sources but corrupted all realms by using the Crucible, thus causing Hell on Earth?

B) In addition Taurus Daggerknight also said the Earth invasion is already happening during Doom 2016 but I don't remember that either. Maybe it was hinted in the multiplayer DLC or an interview? I was just wondering. 

Just another thought: What if the Phobos invasion seen in the Eternal trailer doesn't show demons travelling from Mars to Earth? Isn't it possible they're travelling from Earth to Mars? Maybe they are aware of the access to the ancient civilization on Mars and don't  want the Slayer to reach it?

This thread just made me realize they haven’t revealed the pistol yet. Maybe they thought showing it off would be boring? All the weapons shown off so far (besides the Ballista I think) have their two interesting mods that change how the gun works, and I don’t really know how what mods the pistol could have. 

You might be right with the Q1 style shotgun start. Between an armblade, shoulder mounted flamethrower/grenade launcher, and shotgun, maybe they found the pistol to be redundant? Or like D44M did with certain weapons, it’s been relegated to multiplayer-only. 

Ballista's two mods are the Explosive Bolt and the Destroyer Blade that can fruit ninja enemies.

Edited by Hofmann

1 hour ago, igg said:

To be more precise: 

A) Taurus Daggerknight wrote about Argent channeling devices on Earth. I thought this means Argent energy is being "collected" or "gathered" on Earth too which I consider necessary for a Hell invasion. Small Argent batteries shouldn't be enough for a Hell portal? I remember Hayden using Argent energy as a solution for Earths energy crisis but his final speech (loss of Argent energy and Vega) hints that the Argent breach on Mars is closed and no others are available. Wasn't the Well the Argent source? So, when the Slayer closed it even Samuels crucible can't recreate another Argent breach on Earth since the Well is lost. Maybe Samuel looked for other sources but corrupted all realms by using the Crucible, thus causing Hell on Earth?

B) In addition Taurus Daggerknight also said the Earth invasion is already happening during Doom 2016 but I don't remember that either. Maybe it was hinted in the multiplayer DLC or an interview? I was just wondering. 

Just another thought: What if the Phobos invasion seen in the Eternal trailer doesn't show demons travelling from Mars to Earth? Isn't it possible they're travelling from Earth to Mars? Maybe they are aware of the access to the ancient civilization on Mars and don't  want the Slayer to reach it?

A) Individual small batterries aren't much... but several billions worth of those batteries, of varying sizes, shapes, output, etc? Remember that ALL of civilization at this point is using some kind of Argent energy cell. The source was Mars, yes... but remember that the entire operation was based on Mars sending out "energy packets" via the projector using the Gauss cannon tech. This has also been going on for -quite- a while, so effectively, imagine every single bit of tech- from phones, to vehicles, to entire cities- using energy from Hell (Argent tech).

The byproduct of which nothing is spoken. They claim it's completely clean, but whose to say that the byproduct is not strictly physical, but a reality rupturing force? 

Either way... as many argent cells coursing with Hell forged energy as there are people on the planet. Perhaps even more. Mars base has the source at one local point, which itself is half in this reality, and half in the other. Earth is fully saturated. 

2) I didn't say Earth has already been invaded. I said It's POSSIBLE that it's going on.  Specifically: "we don't know how much time has passed. For all we know, just as Doom 2016 was taking place, Earth was already being invaded. "

As for the demons traveling between planets; again, it's possible that they don't need ships, considering they are warping in all over the place. 

41 minutes ago, whatup876 said:

I think i know what kind of pistol we'd like to see return and show up in Eternal.

Will it make enemies get big bugged out googly eyes when you shoot them? :P

Also, what if they had a "pistol start" mode in Eternal?

Select the mode and start each level with the pistol until you find the rest of the arsenal while trying to go past the enemies.

20 hours ago, whatup876 said:

Also, what if they had a "pistol start" mode in Eternal?

Select the mode and start each level with the pistol until you find the rest of the arsenal while trying to go past the enemies.

That would be pretty interesting. Could be possible seeing as there's a lot more weapon pickups rather than ammo boxes this time. 

What's with all the pistol hate?

FREE BULLETS!

Spoiler

Goddamn it id, I finally rid myself of "too good to use" syndrome through intense Doom1/2 therapy, and then you put a gun with INFINITE ammo in Doom 2016.

The pistol was utterly pathetic and underwhelming in D2016. No power whatsoever, took numerous shots to down a basic Possessed, sounded like a cat sneezing.

Classic pistol was infinitely better. Sounded somewhat meatier, looked cool, and for fighting zombiemen it had the perfect tempo as far as damage and RoF went.

I'd be fine with starting with a shotty in Eternal. If not, a pistol with a lower rate of fire but proper damage and sound effects would be well appreciated.

On 7/7/2019 at 9:03 PM, DooM_RO said:

They should improve it instead. Make it a skill-based weapon. For example, make headshots do 4 times as much damage. 

Too much. But 6 times in the eye...

Don't worry. I'm sure if it's not in the base game, you'll be able to buy it from the UAC Store for Argent credits, or Bethesda Bucks, or whatever they call 'em.

716b39c690485cdcb81ea5fb9e29d7fb0504b9e1

According to people with hands-on experience from E3 2019 the pistol is in the game, but they've excluded it from the hands-off demos for unknown reasons.

On 7/16/2019 at 12:01 AM, Rifle Infantry said:

The pistol was utterly pathetic and underwhelming in D2016. No power whatsoever, took numerous shots to down a basic Possessed, sounded like a cat sneezing.

Classic pistol was infinitely better. Sounded somewhat meatier, looked cool, and for fighting zombiemen it had the perfect tempo as far as damage and RoF went.

I'd be fine with starting with a shotty in Eternal. If not, a pistol with a lower rate of fire but proper damage and sound effects would be well appreciated.

This is the first time in 25 years I've seen someone call Doom's pistol good.

5 hours ago, FractalBeast said:

This is the first time in 25 years I've seen someone call Doom's pistol good.

It's all the presentation. The pistol's slick, black, and when you shoot it it jumps in your hand and kicks up a big muzzle flash with a "pow". More importantly, against map-1 troopers it makes for a satisfying one-two punch, making it feel useful for at least the period you'd be making use of it. For the engagements it's meant for, it's no less satisfying than any other of the classic weapons.

Compare to the D2016 pistol; barely any recoil, tiny in your hand, and even dumb possessed take a few shots and a glory kill. It doesn't feel like anything useful, even in the earliest engagements.

Have to say @Rifle Infantry, to each their own, but I really don't see what you do in Doom's original pistol. It was about as basic a pea-shooter as they get. I can't say it's tempo, ROF, sound or recoil anims ever left an impression of any sort, other than "Need a gun, I  need a gun, I need a gun right now!" . 

Now, Quake 2's Blaster. THAT was a meaty pistol.