Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChicagoTrash

What would be your ideal doom movie?

47 minutes ago, elend said:

I always imagined a potential Doom movie to be like a mix of Aliens and Starship Troopers. It‘s gotta be a bit tongue in cheek, a lot of rock‘n roll and if possible as much practical effects as possible.   

This! Yes! I always forget about Starship Troopers, it seemed so underrated. 

Something like Hardcore Harry mixed with b-movie action\horror. Less focus on story and more classic Doom enemies.

Edited by Noiser

I wanna see Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson reprises his role as the evil doom marine, but for him to have an identical twin who is heaven's champion. Then have the good and evil Dwaynes fight each other in the ultimate battle between heaven and hell.

If the live action stuff that was in the cards for the 3do port of doom managed to become a reality it would be the perfect doom film. No exceptions.

If we are talking about the straight up one person vs the forces of Hell then frankly nothing will beat the game and thus why even try going down this route.

A film would be far better to explore other elements of the Universe the game is set in, like the fall of the UAC based on Phobos and Deimos prior to the marines landing there and the events of Knee deep in the dead start.

I mean a horror film base on the initial hellish outbreak would be a far easier task to pull off here.

I'd absolutely love a slow burn sci fi horror retelling of the backstory of doom. Little details, especially Deimos vanishing form the martian sky, really sound like they'd play well in a sort of conspiracy story starting on mars in the UAC, and maybe by the end of it as all the pieces are falling together and hell is breaking loose, it can bend more in a traditional Die Hard/Aliens kind of direction I think most people think of when they picture a Doom movie. Near the end the protagonist finally goes to hell in a short, abstractly terrifying climax (think half-life's xen, i guess). Having that grounding in a slow conspiracy story can help really sell it when it becames more action and suspense oriented like you THINK you want the whole movie to be. Think, idk, Stranger Things season 1.

For the setting something in between original Total Recall and Aliens. For the monsters, practical effects on similar level as the first Predator and Day of the Dead movies. 

The movie takes place in mars, teleportation experiment takes place in a top secret research facility on Mars City, so secret most of Mars City's personnel thinks is a myth. The experiment involves Mars City, and space stations on Phobos and Deimos.

The first 30 minutes of the movie is about daily life of UAC personnel specially space marines as security. Doomguy suffers an accident that renders him mute and is sent to the Hangar's infarmary, he wakes up after a couple of hours next to a grinning zombie scientist covered in blood and vomit wielding a scalpel, our hero beats the zombie to death after a short struggle, he got a deep gash in his face, and a couple of scratches and bruises. He patches up his facial wound wondering what the hell just happened. Doomguy then walks outside the infarmary, his mind could not comprehend what he saw. Walls covered in blood, scorch marks, and bullet holes. A bloody mess of a corpse wich used to be a fellow marine, then a shotgunner growls "alarm" to his fellow former humans, Doomguy unholster his pistol and then for the next hour and a half, the rest of the movie is pure run and gun action with occasional nods to other Doom games such as Doom 3, Doom 2016 and when Doomguy gets sent back to Earth, Doom Eternal reference.

Make the enemies mostly look like Doom 3/2016 style, except for one scene where Doomguy gets attacked by a horde of straight-up pinky demons, as realistic-looking as possible (practical effects for close ups), moving and sounding just like in OG Doom, and he's only got.... a chainsaw.

Director : Jordan Peele

Terry Crews and a bunch of comedians could fill out the roster of Sarge, soldiers, and scientists.  Maybe a Bruce Campbell cameo?

give it the self seriousness of Snakes in a Plane. Gore and death and practical special effects. But echo The Thing by making us guess who is infected.

DOOMguy should shoot a toxic barrel and blow everything up in the end like in Jaws.

" Sing a New Song, Motherfucker! " -Dave Bautista prolly.

Evil Dead + Thing + Real Genius

Edited by Mk7_Centipede

4 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

The ideal doom movie is this:

I tried but I was already bored after 4 minutes and 50 seconds.

A good Doom movie is something that Hollywood won't allow! If you want to work together with one of the major studios to make a movie based on a videogame, you're going to have to allow SEVERE COMPROMISE, with many unnecessary changes being made!

I'm not sure I have an ideal Doom movie--I think competent filmmakers could approach it in various compelling ways. But I'd love to see one based on DOOM 2016 with the style and tone of The Punisher: War Zone, a visually arresting movie that revels in hilarious amounts of violence:

On 7/6/2019 at 1:44 PM, ChicagoTrash said:

Which game would it be based on? Would it be more horror or action? Would it feature Doom Slayer? Metal music?

It would be an action movie with Brian Eno's album "Here Come the Warm Jets" as the soundtrack!  >:)

Well. My idea would be an all first person movie, but the beginning would show around part of a location, then it would go to the protagonist and zoom in through their head like in GoldenEye 64. Then the movie would go out like a video game, with a hud and no story whatsoever.

Has to be one part where the characters learn what's happening, what the stakes are, and then one of them says "well....... we're doomed."

15 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

Has to be one part where the characters learn what's happening, what the stakes are, and then one of them says "well....... we're doomed."

With a Seinfeld laugh track

This is going to hurt my hand writing all this on my phone.

I truly think a heavily Doom 2016 inspired movie would work. As in Doom guy is a unrealistic bad arse, he is a mute but speaks loudly nonverbally, he isn't in every single scene but essentially in several action and brutal moments stealing the show, there is some humour but also not afraid to show some proper gore.

The aesthetics and monster designs would also be of modern design (more leaning on Eternal) and there will be side characters who do the talking, dying, surviving and being awed when they witness the Doom Slayer.

A couple scenes I picture;

1. The survivors (be it a mix of marines and scientists) lock themselves in a room with security monitors. This is when they witness Doom Slayer's true bad assery as our camera pans into the screen and then enter a Scene with the Slayer slaughtering a bunch of Demons like a gore nest arena with the BFG Division song playing.

2. Doom Slayer cracks some skulls and chainsaws a zombiemen or imp (who was terrified and tried to flee) and then enters a science facility or living quarters with caged animals. The audience (us) sees his soft side as he finds a little white bunny named Daisy and he frees it. The following scene has the beastly Slayer walking through a dark hallway (think Doom 2016 trailer) but with a cute bunny hopping around him like a loving domesticated pet.

I can see Vega being in it just to help push narrative and direct the Doom Slayer to the next scene. Also we need to see a moment with marines getting slaughtered in a battle against Demons to appreciate how brutal the monsters are and how even more brutal the Slayer is.

The vibe of the movie would be an adrenaline action flick. It's not there to impress with story, win any Emmys or follow the status quo of a typical flick, which feels perfect for Doom.

8 hours ago, ChicagoTrash said:

With a Seinfeld laugh track

"And what's the deal with Cyberdemons?"

On 7/8/2019 at 10:31 AM, ReaperAA said:

The ideal doom movie is this:

Or, you can, just, well, y'know, play the game?

A doom let's play but the Hollywood budget went into animating it: Like instead of having the short 5-10 min "X Let's Play" animated you see on YouTube, it would be 3+ hours long.

This or the All Guardsmen Party with everything given a Doom skin rather than a Warhammer 40K skin.

A Doom movie needs a Hell invasion with a ranging bestiary (not just an Imp). If they cannot do that then don't even bother imo.

And while I prefer practical effects most of the time, if Eternal can render a convincing Cyberdemon in real-time than surely a movie can do something even better with the advantage of pre-rendering.

I had this idea for a long time, i would even want to make a script for it but i am lazy lol, i promise to get on it at some point and then upload it here, but it would be something like this:
Two movies, one for Doom and one for Doom 2, the first movie would be three acts with every act being an episode in the game, completely in first person, basically a blend of Hardcore Henry and Hotel Inferno 1/2 (seriously people, if you love fps watch those movies) 
i would put a little prologue on Earth with the Doomguy refusing to shoot protesters and then getting sent to Mars and then a little epilogue with him returning to Earth and seeing everything destroyed
very little dialogue but enough as to give context to what is going on 
make it short, none of that 2 hours or longer bullshit that we get from most blockbusters nowadays, and it would be practically non stop action with a little horror and suspense thrown in, and i would recreate every level in the game to look EXACTLY like they do in the game, so the story and the character would go through all of them
and i would use the same music but with real instruments, practically i would do like a complete walktrough of the first game but in live action

i think it could work as a entertainment, i have no idea about the second movie, i am still trying to figure it out

On 7/6/2019 at 9:21 PM, Mystic 256 said:

A gritty 1980s styled Anime OVA Doom Movie with a 80s metal soundtrack

Violent, gorey, actiony and badass

This. Give me some buttery smooth Akira type thing and I'd gladly pay gold for it.