Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Geforce

My Introduction to Doomworld

Hello, everyone!

I joined this forum a few days ago, so I thought that an introduction thread would be fitting.

I hadn't played any of the original 3 Doom games until about a year ago. Whenever I used to watch video game documentaries on Youtube, they would always mention how the original Doom by id was a "revolutionary game" or something along those lines, and I didn't really care. When Ultimate Doom went on sale on Steam one day, I decided that I would try it out and see just how good it was. To be honest, I didn't think that it was bad, but I didn't really think that it was amazing or anything like that either. After playing through the first three episodes of Ultimate Doom, I stopped playing it and thought "well, that was okay," and that was it.

Fast forward to about two months ago, when Karl Jobst's video on 4shockblast's :08 second run on Hangar appeared in my recommended Youtube feed. I decided to click on it, mainly because I didn't have anything else to watch at the time. That video really motivated me to want to try out Doom again. I would say that one of the reasons why was because I wanted to see just how hard that record was to achieve (and I can definitely see why now). After playing through it again, but this time paying more attention to the soundtrack and levels, it was a lot more enjoyable. Seeing Karl's second video on another set of Doom speedruns about a month ago really made me want to try out speedrunning the game for myself, mainly just to see if I could or not. And.... wow! I haven't had this much fun with video games in a while. Mainly because I'm not very good at multiplayer games, especially when dealing with toxic teammates is a part of it, so being able to almost "play myself" and trying to beat previous records is enjoyable. The peeps over in one of the Doom Discords are also awesome to interact with as well.

Anyways, I know that nearly 30 years into Doom's lifecycle, but I hope to become a more active member of Doomworld!

Enjoy the few hours left in your weekend. :)

Welcome everyone! I didn't like multiplayer in the past either since it was more annoying than anything back in the day. It's better by tons now since people have matured since then haha. What I like about Doom is that you can customize it to your liking with mods (particularly in GZDoom or Zandronum).

9 hours ago, bigmoneysalvio said:

9 hours ago, bigmoneysalvio said:

I would also like to do an intro. 

My name is Bryce and Im from Ohio. I'm engaged to Geforce and we hate doom. Except speedruns.

"I'm engaged to Geforce"

wut?