Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Noah Eadie

Kill Sector - Ridiculous Doomlike Tabletop RPG

Posted (edited)

Okay, straight to the point! Here we go!

killsector_cover_b_web.jpg.82731e8a8bd7d1cf8961f35625154f4b.jpg

Last year, my buddy and I released Kill Sector, a tabletop RPG inspired very specifically by the Doom modding community, among other things (those other things chiefly including Bionicle, KMFDM, Warhammer 40K, and Superjail). See, I loved all these crazy weapon packs and partial conversions and enemy randomizers, and I wanted to make my own. Two hours after opening Doom Builder I realized it'd take forever to put anything worthwhile together.

So I decided to make a tabletop RPG instead!

Kill Sector is built for people like me - people that have all these crazy, over-the-top ideas specific to cool sci-fi action scenarios, but get overwhelmed by the workload required to convey that idea to anyone else. If you've ever wanted to make your own weapon mod or partial conversion but didn't have the time, energy, or skill, Kill Sector is the game for you.

As far as RPG's go, Kill Sector is very, very rules-lite. During the year of playtesting, we regularly saw people who've never played one in their life sit down, make a complete character, and understand the rules within the course of a single session. At the same time, it's a system where you can make whatever the hell you can think of and it'll work in a way that makes sense mechanically. If you have an idea, you can write out the descriptions, lore, and rules in a matter of minutes, put a bunch of ideas together over the course of an hour, and run an action-packed session (which we call gauntlets) for your buddies, who are themselves over-the-top characters of their own. To give you an idea, some characters we've seen during playtest include:

• blood-powered cybernetic vampire alien
  • mech-piloting lava-spewing demonoid shape-shifter
  • happy-go-lucky golem wielding a double-ended jackhammer
  • time-travelling giant robot powered by the remnants of the Liberty Bell
  • teleporting assault lighthouse with undead-melting spotlights

Kill Sector is gladiatorial in theme, meaning a lot of the design points towards arena-style fights with bespoke enemies and hazards. We've seen it work wonders for more traditional adventures, however - run-and-gun arenas are merely an implied default.

If this sounds like your kind of thing, check out our website, consider getting the rulebook (or our free crash course), and hop onto our Discord.

I'll leave you with some of the official art I've made for the rulebook here. Enjoy!

210676895_killsector_flyer001web.jpg.40fabcab3cf2fcbb1939a12ba63ee3a1.jpgkillsector_killtech_chainsawers_web.jpg.bb9e6c457c3336a661614f77c90f5079.jpgkillsector_scorpion_launcher_web.jpg.dd922e384f5af8e3508557ce379c6bdd.jpg

killsector_labor_enforcer_book.jpg

killsector_acid_pit_web.jpg

Edited by Noah Eadie : formatting (spoiler tags were acting buggy)

Posted (edited)

table tops suck just create the maps or weapon packs yourself, it's alot easier than you make it out to be (atleast for me). If you're interested, I'm more than willing to help

16 hours ago, ([zen3001]) said:

table tops suck just create the maps or weapon packs yourself, it's alot easier than you make it out to be (atleast for me). If you're interested, I'm more than willing to help

Hey, don't be a massive cunt that randomly shits on someone's work, especially when you aren't even offering to provide feedback because you are swinging your dick around about the fact that you don't like table tops just because which is also irrelevant to this topic. Also, shilling for your own modding skills while this is a table top game topic!? That's an another thing you should'nt do especially since it would'nt help the author of this topic to begin with. Just, think twice before posting next time, now where's my LAAAAAAAAMB sauce?

Anyway back on topic, I love the art! It's extremely KMFDM :D so you weren't kidding when you mentioned it as one of your inspirations. If I was into table tops (or more specifically friends who were into them, my board game friends aren't into table top RPGs unfortunately) I would definitely have tried it. Good luck to you guys!

Oh hey, this is cool! I really dig the idea of a Doom-themed tabletop RPG, even though I'm by no means a TTRPG veteran.

I'll make a note of giving this a look later, possibly even getting together a group to play with. c:

On 7/13/2019 at 11:12 AM, Gustavo6046 said:

The art really reminds me of the expressionist era of artistic work. Nice job! I see a good potential with your project ^^

Thank you kindly! George Grosz and Saul Steinberg specifically are two of my biggest inspirations for my personal artistic style.

Advanced issues found

On 7/13/2019 at 2:49 AM, Alter said:

Anyway back on topic, I love the art! It's extremely KMFDM :D so you weren't kidding when you mentioned it as one of your inspirations.

Thank you. Aidan "Brute!" Hughes (the album cover artist for KMFDM) is another one of my personal visual inspirations. I've had a few conversations with the guy and he's pretty cool. He actually made an FPS of his own back in the day, called ZPC (Zero Population Count). It wasn't... well, it wasn't great, but it's very much his aesthetic.

(sidenote: if double-posting like this is a Doomworld faux pas, please let me know so I can combine the two into one neat little post)

This looks awesome. I'll need to check it out later. Also, I only learned about ZPC recently. Saw a video of the intro, I believe. It was very Brute!

We've just released a free quickstart document that includes rules, pre-made characters, and an adventure. It's specifically made for people that haven't played a tabletop before and includes some handy cheat-sheets. Check it out!