Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brock

What kind of wads you guys enjoy

wads that bring something new to the table, like new gameplay ideas. Classic style levels are nice every now and then but it can become tedious.

Wads that destroy me.

On a serious note, largely combat focused wads that are straightforward, not much into puzzles and nonlinear or cryptic progression, but if it's good enough for me, I'll probably play it. That's pretty much my only standard really, stuff to be good.

19 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Slaughter/challenge maps, platforming stuff, rocket jump maps

Never knew there was rocket jump maps for Doom. Tought it was only a tf2 and Quake thing.

I tend to prefer puzzles, challenging claustrophobic set-pieces, cryptic progression in a somewhat linear fashion and scarcity of resources. Bonus points if you can mash all of these together.

Despite my preference, as long as it's Doom (and it plays on my source-port of choice) I enjoy everything :)

I love maps that bring something new to the table without changing the Doom-feeling to much. And I´m still discovering such maps even after more than 25 years of dooming. :)

Pretty much anything that's not either a jokewad or a slaughtermap.

I like maps that introduce unique gameplay and themes, but tend to dislike maps that are 'experimental.' I like smaller to medium sized maps with little backtracking and keyhunting/switch-finding. I naturally have quite abysmal directional skills - and so, I much rather enjoy levels where I don't have to do much work. I guess you could say I enjoy more 'linear' styles of maps? I don't have anything against Slaughter, but I personally enjoy smaller monster counts. I've got no issues with 90's or 90's aesthetic WADs too - 'Slugfest' is probably my favorite Doom2 level pack, actually.

Essentially, I like most WADs. The moment I have to 'puzzle-out' or scrape walls for an hour, though, I'm gone. :)

Edit: If there's an extremely tight ammo constraint, I usually will bail out of there too lol

i like it when people find ways to express themselves with doom maps and it doesn't really matter how. i admire a bunch of levels which are way too hard for me cos of the moods they evince. puzzles rule if they feel right, linear adventures rule if they feel right. music choices are a big part of why i'll pay attention to a level - I've come to realize that BTSX gameplay isn't my thing but the level architecture and the original tunes make me return to them anyway.

maps by people who think there are very strict parameters for making something feel "doomy" are generally gonna be offputting to me. it's been done

I like any kind of maps that doesn't drag too much into duration, except the kind of long maps that are enjoyable and doesn't bore you to death by getting lost or something.

And also, good music is a factor for me to enjoy the maps even more...a recent case of this situation is Eviternity, for example...

I like slaughter maps or very well detailed works. However, I'm not a fun of ultra hard maps that place you in a room with 120 archviles and one pillar as cover. 

I also hate large maps that are a big, confused maze without any clear path to a goal (so yes, I don't like Misri Halek).

Unique and experimental wads, bonus points if they dont follow "good mapping" conventions and you can feel they author was just having some fun mapping it.

I'm a bit two sided.

Traditional: My own definition for a traditional wad is something that more or less keeps itself grounded in the Doom universe and doesn't mess with the game play too much, keeps the lay out simple with no crazy geometry.

Unique: And suddenly a switch is flipped and I want more monsters and bigger guns, maps that blow E1M1 out of the water and play hockey with it.

Techbases and Hell maps.  Quake-themed maps, too, but good ones are kinda hard to come by, outside of Project Slipgate and Dimension of the Boomed.

Well detailed and somewhat linear maps as I hate the feeling of wondering if the path I took is progress or a dead end. I generally want the dead end to try 100% the level and gain full experience. Also I dislike backtracking.

Small to medium levels are my preference hence my like for the classic Doom wads. Not a big puzzle fan, but I like the satisfaction of finding new secrets.

7 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

zdaemon rjspace

god i miss rocket jump stuff in ZDaemon. InvasionUAC used to have a rocket jump level but XSnake replaced it with that 'virtual reality' thing

To answer the OP: I've always enjoyed grandiose visual setpieces (Sunder❤💕), but lately I've been getting more into the gameplay side of things, to where maybe someday I can enjoy Sunder as it was intended.

Just now, DuckReconMajor said:

god i miss rocket jump stuff in ZDaemon

Would you be willing to playtest a work in progress project at some point?

my favorite kind of map is a single level map that is large , non-linear and is exploratory in nature with a high monster count (350+) and puzzle elements.   I like having to really work at getting 100% and being in those kinds of maps I just lose all track of time as I am just enthralled with the challenge this kind of map presents.

I'm not really a huge fan of slaughter wads although I kind of released one recently but still it does not contain thousands of monsters. Anything else is fine, especially classic-style maps such as Endgame, Classic series maps, DTWiD, etc.

I like Plutonia style maps, maps that are difficult without being obnoxiously high in monster counts. Preferably techbases, I hate most outdoor or hell levels.

Fun gameplay, above all else. Good looks a distant second. Sorry - it's difficult to describe it any better.