Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bass Slapper '89

*UPDATE * Jazz Jackrabbit Doom v2.1

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
On 7/14/2019 at 10:49 PM, AlanjWeh89 said:

@Traysandor and @NPC_CO8ALT, Thank you the honesty. I am currently touching up everything as we speak. When it comes to what y'all have said are eye openers. I'm a noob still learning, so all what you say is helpful. I slowed down Jazz to a 1.5 speed, no ludicrous speed anymore... At least in my opinion. I was really trying best to match the original game by his speed.

 

I do agree about cut scenes. The problem is that idk how to code them... There is so much I need to learn. Weapons I'm working on, especially the shotgun. I took out the Railgun Turtle, was told he was annoying. Idk if it's the enemies HP, but I brought the HP down a pinch. Hopefully that'll help with the amount of shots taken from the shotgun, freeze gun etc.

 

I do apologize for posting a game with so many problems. As I mentioned, this is my first mod I ever designed. I learned everything all on my own with no knowledge on what I'm doing. I am sure I have missed a bunch of important info along the way. Thank you again, I will definitely get this mod to be more awesome than it is now ;)

 

 

 

If you haven't played Shadow/Rise of the Woolball yet, I'd take that as an inspiration of sorts. And as far as fast character movement and platforming goes, you'd probably want to check out Sonic Robo Blast 2 as well - It used to run on a modified version of the GZDoom engine. It now uses Doom Legacy as the base, but it's the same general idea. Fast characters and tight platforming is a recipe for a lot of frustration, but it can be done right.

Edited by Traysandor

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Traysandor said:

 

If you haven't played Shadow/Rise of the Woolball yet, I'd take that as an inspiration of sorts. And as far as fast character movement and platforming goes, you'd probably want to check out Sonic Robo Blast 2 as well - It used to run on a modified version of the GZDoom engine. It now uses Doom Legacy as the base, but it's the same general idea. Fast characters and tight platforming is a recipe for a lot of frustration, but it can be done right.

Shadow/Rise of the Wool Ball, I have played but not Sonic Robo Blast 2.

 

I'll look into them, that way I can get idea. The levels I designed was a mix of Platforming and Non-Platforming, mainly due to reviews and people who I know  that don't like platforming in FPS games... Figured I'd share the back story. I'm sure over time I'll redesign the levels.

 

Right now, I'm just finishing with touching up features like the weapons, enemies etc. I have been busy doing that for the last week and in my opinion, I think this version is better now when it comes to gameplay.

 

Thank you for your advice

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, AlanjWeh89 said:

Right now, I'm just finishing with touching up features like the weapons, enemies etc. I have been busy doing that for the last week and in my opinion, I think this version is better now when it comes to gameplay.

 

Looking forward to it!

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, noisebloom said:

 

Looking forward to it!

Glad to hear bro. I am finally getting down the coding and wow it's a headache lmao

 

Since I got the idea of inheriting THINGS, most of the errors of GZDoom Builder are fixed, but that means whatever I inherited, are now giving me this "!"... smh lol

 

So, I'm going back through the levels and replacing them. I am debating about changing the level design on a few levels but that'll be later on for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, AlanjWeh89 said:

Shadow/Rise of the Wool Ball, I have played but not Sonic Robo Blast 2.

 

I'll look into them, that way I can get idea. The levels I designed was a mix of Platforming and Non-Platforming, mainly due to reviews and people who I know  that don't like platforming in FPS games... Figured I'd share the back story. I'm sure over time I'll redesign the levels.

 

Right now, I'm just finishing with touching up features like the weapons, enemies etc. I have been busy doing that for the last week and in my opinion, I think this version is better now when it comes to gameplay.

 

Thank you for your advice

 

Platforming and full 3d movement generally don't mix all that well, yeah. There are some examples of what platforming could do in an FPS, like Doom: The Golden Souls 1 and 2 (Takes a lot of inspiration from Mario games). SRB2 is the only one I'm aware of that does platforming at speed in an FPS engine (At least that you can find for free that I know of)... even if it is more of a Total Conversion (And doesn't really have any FPS elements other than jumping on some badniks and bosses)

 

Now that I think of it, some Heretic/Hexen levels had a touch of platforming elements too (If you have a copy of one laying around somewhere).  Or if you have any of the 3D  Mario or Sonic games laying around (Yes, I know a lot of the Sonic ones are bad for various reasons)

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Traysandor said:

 

Platforming and full 3d movement generally don't mix all that well, yeah. There are some examples of what platforming could do in an FPS, like Doom: The Golden Souls 1 and 2 (Takes a lot of inspiration from Mario games). SRB2 is the only one I'm aware of that does platforming at speed in an FPS engine (At least that you can find for free that I know of)... even if it is more of a Total Conversion (And doesn't really have any FPS elements other than jumping on some badniks and bosses)

 

Now that I think of it, some Heretic/Hexen levels had a touch of platforming elements too (If you have a copy of one laying around somewhere).  Or if you have any of the 3D  Mario or Sonic games laying around (Yes, I know a lot of the Sonic ones are bad for various reasons)

Thanks for the info again. I looked in to the mods you mentioned and I can see what you mean by platforming.

 

I'm sure I'll edit the levels once more, but I'm gonna do some editing to the "THINGS" since those won't take long. I am finally getting the hang of coding. ;)

Share this post


Link to post

I do think a mod like this does have potential to be really good if you embrace some of the more toony aspects of things.

 

I'm guessing you might also want to replay the original Jazz Jackrabbit games to find a final boss worthy of (At least) replacing the sprite of the boss.

 

Also another mod with some platforming I remembered is called Prodoomer, though I strongly suggest you play that on I'm Too Young to Die difficulty (Or with cheats) because oh boy.... the enemies and levels in that mod are quite the slogfest to get through.

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/11/2019 at 6:54 PM, AlanjWeh89 said:

I tried to design a "CustomInventory" item for a Rapid Fire feature for LFG, but keeps freezing and crashing once picked up. Ended up removing the item completely... Will figure it out some day.

And if you try using "Inventory" instead of "CustomInventory" ?



Also I played it a bit but the lack of air control killed my first try.
Please add this in the scripts of every map:
 

Script "AirControl" ENTER
{
    SetAirControl(0.7);
}

This will allow to the player to change his direction mid-air if needed. So it should help having a more easy platforming and dodging attacks while jumping.

 

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, NerdyButLazy said:

Nice! Jazz Jackrabbit was a favorite of mine when I was a kid. Giving this a shot!

Enjoy! So I have made a lot of changes since this was posted. Once I'm complete, I'll post up the version I'm currently on

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Dude27th said:

And if you try using "Inventory" instead of "CustomInventory" ?



Also I played it a bit but the lack of air control killed my first try.
Please add this in the scripts of every map:
 


Script "AirControl" ENTER
{
    SetAirControl(0.7);
}

This will allow to the player to change his direction mid-air if needed. So it should help having a more easy platforming and dodging attacks while jumping.

 

Thanks buddy! Will do

 

I haven't tried "Inventory" I don't believe. I will give it a try and let you know.

Edited by AlanjWeh89

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, AlanjWeh89 said:

Enjoy! So I have made a lot of changes since this was posted. Once I'm complete, I'll post up the version I'm currently on

Awesome. I'm eager to see the improvements you made!

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, NerdyButLazy said:

Awesome. I'm eager to see the improvements you made!

All I can say at this point, they're definitely improvements buddy. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Recap 7/22

 

  • Added "AirControl" to all my levels. Thanks to @Dude27th for mentioning that.
  • Messed with the standard status bar... 
  • Designed my own design of the Railgun and the Shotgun
  • All ammo pickups are animated, expect for Clips and Shells
  • THINGS I inherited, changed most of the Things to "!"... Went through all 20 levels to fix those issues.

Share this post


Link to post

Great to see making such good progress! I've had a blast playing it over the last few weeks and am amped for the new version : )

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, xvertigox said:

Great to see making such good progress! I've had a blast playing it over the last few weeks and am amped for the new version : )

Hell yeah, glad you are enjoying the mod! I am gonna begin trying to design the Fast Fire Pickup! Like what @Dude27th mentioned to me is try

 

Actor FastFire : Inventory

instead of

Actor FastFire : Custom Inventory

 

We'll see how that goes... If no luck, I'll post the issue here.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

@Dude27th this is what I tried... Not sure if it needs to be scripted.

 

I tried it but no difference in rapid fire rate... Any advice will be very much appreciated. Thanks bud.

 

actor FastFire : Inventory (IDNumber)

{

Inventory.PickupMessage "Rapid Fire"

Tag "LFG2000"

Inventory.Amount 1

Inventory.MaxAmount 10

Inventory.PickupSound "jazz/rapid"

+INVENTORY.ALWAYSPICKUP

+COUNTITEM

+FLOATBOB

States

{

Spawn:

PLSP ABCDEFGH 3

loop

Pickup:

TNT1 A 0 A_GiveInventory ("LFG2000", 1)

TNT1 A 0 A_GiveInventory ("FastFire", 1)

Stop

}

}

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, AlanjWeh89 said:

@Dude27th this is what I tried... Not sure if it needs to be scripted.

 

I tried it but no difference in rapid fire rate... Any advice will be very much appreciated. Thanks bud.

 

actor FastFire : Inventory (IDNumber)

{

Inventory.PickupMessage "Rapid Fire"

Tag "LFG2000"

Inventory.Amount 1

Inventory.MaxAmount 10

Inventory.PickupSound "jazz/rapid"

+INVENTORY.ALWAYSPICKUP

+COUNTITEM

+FLOATBOB

States

{

Spawn:

PLSP ABCDEFGH 3

loop

Pickup:

TNT1 A 0 A_GiveInventory ("LFG2000", 1)

TNT1 A 0 A_GiveInventory ("FastFire", 1)

Stop

}

}

What it is supossed to do ? 
The actor itself is fine.

You don't need to use A_GiveInventory("The same item you picked up") tho.

 

But what should happen when you pick it up ?
It's like a temporal powerup or you have a limited use of this item ?

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dude27th said:

What it is supossed to do ? 
The actor itself is fine.

You don't need to use A_GiveInventory("The same item you picked up") tho.

 

But what should happen when you pick it up ?
It's like a temporal powerup or you have a limited use of this item ?

 

Sry I forgot to mention.

 

What it supposed to do is pick up the firing rate of the LFG2000... First the LFG has slow rate, once this item is picked up, it picks up the firing rate. Once after you collected the Inventory.MaxAmount 10... The LFG should be firing like an automatic weapon. Unlimited time span

 

Best way to explain it.

 

The best example I can think of is Hocus Pocus Doom Level 40

It's a Jazz Jackrabbit Themed level

 

Edited by AlanjWeh89

Share this post


Link to post

You can use in the LFG2000 "A_JumpIfInventory" in the Fire state.
The "A_JumpIfInventory" checks for a specific item , and a quantity.
If you have equal or more the quantity of that item the state changes or 'jump' to the state that you specify.

 

Example:

	Fire:
	TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("FastFire",1,"Fire1")
	TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("FastFire",2,"Fire2")
	TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("FastFire",3,"Fire3")
	TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("FastFire",4,"Fire4")
	TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("FastFire",5,"Fire5")
	TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("FastFire",6,"Fire6")
	TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("FastFire",7,"Fire7")
	TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("FastFire",8,"Fire8")
	TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("FastFire",9,"Fire9")
	TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("FastFire",10,"Fire10")
	BUMM A 11	//Your normal fire
	Goto Ready
	
	Fire1:
	BUMM A 10
	Goto Ready
	Fire2:
	BUMM A 9
	Goto Ready
	Fire3:
	BUMM A 8
	Goto Ready
	Fire4:
	BUMM A 7
	Goto Ready
	Fire5:
	BUMM A 6
	Goto Ready
	Fire6:
	BUMM A 5
	Goto Ready
	Fire7:
	BUMM A 4
	Goto Ready
	Fire8:
	BUMM A 3
	Goto Ready
	Fire9:
	BUMM A 2
	Goto Ready
	Fire10:
	BUMM A 1
	Goto Ready
	

 

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Dude27th said:

You can use in the LFG2000 "A_JumpIfInventory" in the Fire state.
The "A_JumpIfInventory" checks for a specific item , and a quantity.
If you have equal or more the quantity of that item the state changes or 'jump' to the state that you specify.

 

Example:


	Fire:
	TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("FastFire",1,"Fire1")
	TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("FastFire",2,"Fire2")
	TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("FastFire",3,"Fire3")
	TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("FastFire",4,"Fire4")
	TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("FastFire",5,"Fire5")
	TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("FastFire",6,"Fire6")
	TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("FastFire",7,"Fire7")
	TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("FastFire",8,"Fire8")
	TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("FastFire",9,"Fire9")
	TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("FastFire",10,"Fire10")
	BUMM A 11	//Your normal fire
	Goto Ready
	
	Fire1:
	BUMM A 10
	Goto Ready
	Fire2:
	BUMM A 9
	Goto Ready
	Fire3:
	BUMM A 8
	Goto Ready
	Fire4:
	BUMM A 7
	Goto Ready
	Fire5:
	BUMM A 6
	Goto Ready
	Fire6:
	BUMM A 5
	Goto Ready
	Fire7:
	BUMM A 4
	Goto Ready
	Fire8:
	BUMM A 3
	Goto Ready
	Fire9:
	BUMM A 2
	Goto Ready
	Fire10:
	BUMM A 1
	Goto Ready
	

 

Thank you so much buddy. When I get out of work, I will give it a shot. Thank you again

Share this post


Link to post

Hope everyone is doing well.

 

I made a lot of changes on the mod, as you can tell from my updates through out July.

 

I have a few things to change and test, which means I should be done with all updates soon. I'll keep y'all posted.

 

Thank you for all the support and advice.

Share this post


Link to post

I played and finished this game mod and I'm disapointed because I had no levels from Jazz Jackrabbit 1.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, luke11685 said:

I played and finished this game mod and I'm disapointed because I had no levels from Jazz Jackrabbit 1.

The songs in the levels give the Jazz Jackrabbit 1 & 2 feel. lol

 

It sure does feel different, I agree.

Share this post


Link to post

For all who are interested, here's what I have planned.

  • I'm planning on adding a secret level that has the theme of a Pinball table (Epic Pinball Influence)
  • I'm also gonna add, Poster Textures of the local metal bands I know through out the levels as easter eggs.
  • I've added a few sectors on Level 7: "Beachin' Bunny", cause I felt that the level was short... Most likely will add more sectors on some other levels to extend the game play.

 

Sorry I haven't kept in touch. I have been busy and just got back from a family vacation. The Jazz Jackrabbit Doom mod is still being worked on and will continue doing so till I get to working just right for y'all.

 

Btw, what do y'all think of the Jazz Jackrabbit Doom v2.1?

Share this post


Link to post

Here's some screenshots of Map 21: Doomball!

 

There's still a lot for me to do:

  • Gonna try to work on polyobjects for the Flippers
  • Add on more ramps to explore the map for secrets
  • The Table Art

This is the most important things that need to be done for this level.

JJDoom - v2.1 (edit area) at 2019.08.27 19-15-38.131 [R2787].jpg

JJDoom - v2.1 (edit area) at 2019.08.27 19-20-30.076 [R2787].jpg

JJDoom - v2.1 (edit area) at 2019.08.27 19-20-51.790 [R2787].jpg

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×