Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AlanjWeh89

*UPDATE * Jazz Jackrabbit Doom v2.1

Recommended Posts

Looks really cool! Did you took some of the textures from the Hocus Pocus TC? Is it just a coincidence that looks similar?

 

Yhe one at 1st and 3rd screenshot...

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Looks really cool! Did you took some of the textures from the Hocus Pocus TC? Is it just a coincidence that looks similar?

 

Yhe one at 1st and 3rd screenshot...

Lol, no. They do I agree. But those are the original textures from Jazz Jackrabbit 1.

Share this post


Link to post

I am really enjoying this. Honestly Jazz was never really one of my favorite games, mainly because to me it’s just Sonic with a gun. This is a really well made Wad I must admit.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Spooner5020 said:

Honestly Jazz was never really one of my favorite games, mainly because to me it’s just Sonic with a gun.

I don't understand the complaint. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Salt-Man Z said:

I don't understand the complaint. :)

I think just because it didn’t feel original. I feel like Jazz should have been more like the prototype of Jazz Jackrabbit 3. That was more original. Maybe not so much of a complaint, but just an opinion 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Spooner5020 said:

I am really enjoying this. Honestly Jazz was never really one of my favorite games, mainly because to me it’s just Sonic with a gun. This is a really well made Wad I must admit.

Glad you like it. I understand where you are coming from. I've heard a lot of that subject lol.

 

Thank you again. There's a few things here and that I need to add or tweak... Like the Fast Fire pick up, that guadually picks up the rate of fire for the LFG-2000 and shortening the length of the mp3 tracks. I already got the songs taken care of.

 

Just that fast fire "custom inventory" is a pain to find info on. lol

 

I'll figure that out eventually.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, RomDump said:

Playing it right now. It's really awesome. 

Thank you. Glad you are enjoying it.

 

Is the 90's nostalgia kicking in? lol

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, AlanjWeh89 said:

Thank you. Glad you are enjoying it.

 

Is the 90's nostalgia kicking in? lol

"What are you doing?" Yeah.

 

I played alot of Epic games as a kid but not a ton of Jazz. Still, I like alot of the throwbacks. The best part so far is the DOS font in the menus.

 

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, AlanjWeh89 said:

Glad you like it. I understand where you are coming from. I've heard a lot of that subject lol.

 

Thank you again. There's a few things here and that I need to add or tweak... Like the Fast Fire pick up, that guadually picks up the rate of fire for the LFG-2000 and shortening the length of the mp3 tracks. I already got the songs taken care of.

 

Just that fast fire "custom inventory" is a pain to find info on. lol

 

I'll figure that out eventually.

Also i’m not sure if you are aware, but I get texture errors whenever the game starts up. I noticed it in one of the levels in a pond somewhere. The edge of the pond was that weird texture missing look if you know what I mean. 

 

I’m playing this on the latest GZdoom so what’s the issue? It’s not a big deal, but just an annoyance lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Spooner5020 said:

Also i’m not sure if you are aware, but I get texture errors whenever the game starts up. I noticed it in one of the levels in a pond somewhere. The edge of the pond was that weird texture missing look if you know what I mean. 

 

I’m playing this on the latest GZdoom so what’s the issue? It’s not a big deal, but just an annoyance lol.

The missing texture I got taken care of... I realized it after I posted it.

 

I'm tweaking with the mod. Now those missing texture messages in the beginning, I can't get to remove for some reason.

 

They were originally there before but I removed them to use the Jazz JAckrabbit textures. I'm sure there is a way. I'll figure it out. Still learning.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, AlanjWeh89 said:

The missing texture I got taken care of... I realized it after I posted it.

 

I'm tweaking with the mod. Now those missing texture messages in the beginning, I can't get to remove for some reason.

 

They were originally there before but I removed them to use the Jazz JAckrabbit textures.

I'm sure there is a way, I just got to figure it out. Still a noob lol

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, AlanjWeh89 said:

I'm sure there is a way, I just got to figure it out. Still a noob lol

Lol. You’re good. I am hopeful this will get a cacoaward. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Spooner5020 said:

Lol. You’re good. I am hopeful this will get a cacoaward. 

How will it get to that point? Just curious. By the number of downloads?

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/12/2019 at 10:07 PM, Spooner5020 said:

I think just because it didn’t feel original. I feel like Jazz should have been more like the prototype of Jazz Jackrabbit 3. That was more original. Maybe not so much of a complaint, but just an opinion 🙂

 

You can not be serious. The JJ3 prototype was so awful it got the franchise shitcanned forever.

Share this post


Link to post

I seriously wanted to give this a high rating but man is there some major issues. For one, Jazz WAY too fast. I have to disable auto-run just due to how slippery he feels. Sure Jazz and Jazz 2 were designed for you to go fast (though that's debatable for some levels) but not so fast that you can't control him. Secondly... railgun enemies? Really? And my final major complaint... the guns are either silly, remind me of JJA or are just so bad the default blaster is superiour.

 

Overall I like what you have but there are some major kinks that need ironing.

 

6/10

 

 

PS: Also what engine was this designed for? I noticed quite a few errors when I loaded this in GZDooM.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, onetruepurple said:

 

You can not be serious. The JJ3 prototype was so awful it got the franchise shitcanned forever.

No it was because Jazz 2 didn’t sell well. When they were looking for publishers no one wanted it because they didn’t wanna publish for a game that in the last title didn’t sell well.

 

Jazz 3 was a lot of fun and I liked where they were going with it. It’s a shame that it wasn’t even halfway finished when they cancelled it.

 

if you wanna talk about a bad Jazz game, play the GBA Jazz reboot. They made Jazz into some Han Solo wannabe and the gameplay was slower.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

I seriously wanted to give this a high rating but man is there some major issues. For one, Jazz WAY too fast. I have to disable auto-run just due to how slippery he feels. Sure Jazz and Jazz 2 were designed for you to go fast (though that's debatable for some levels) but not so fast that you can't control him. Secondly... railgun enemies? Really? And my final major complaint... the guns are either silly, remind me of JJA or are just so bad the default blaster is superiour.

 

Overall I like what you have but there are some major kinks that need ironing.

 

6/10

 

 

PS: Also what engine was this designed for? I noticed quite a few errors when I loaded this in GZDooM.

Thank you for your input. I respect that on what you mentioned. I'm still working out the kinks. I'm a noob still learning.

 

I was told that Jazz moved too slow. lol (Currently Speed = 2, originally 1)... Could 1.5 be okay or just leave him as regular Doom guy speed?

 

I didn't want my mod to be too easy, that was before I included the railgun enemies.

 

GZDoom is the engine to use. The errors I'm trying to figure out...

Share this post


Link to post

This was a certainly interesting to check out, a few things I'd put in for feedback based on the handful of maps I've played thus far:

 

- This game reminds me in a way of Rise/Shadow of the Wool-Ball. Find a way to embrace the tooniness and silliness (throw in some cutscenes or background context besides vanilla intermission text) - otherwise it becomes fairly boring after a while.

- Custom HUD is nice, but it'd be great to know how much of what ammo I had at a glance.

- The infinite ammo guns were what carried me heavily, as I could just pluck away at enemies until they were dead. It was fairly effective at dealing with most of the small fry.

- The shotgun replacement easily wins the award for the most underwhelming weapon I've used in a long time - it was taking me several shots just to dispatch normal baddies - a job done far better by the infinite ammo pea shooter variants.

- The various guns had some interesting gimmicks, but the variety of ammo types and guns could probably do with some simplifying.

- Our hero moved way too fast for me to handle, and platforming was straight up impossible (I actually had to turn autorun off in order for Jazz to not move at ludicrous speed - at which point he handled a bit more of what I'm used to in Doom engines with Doomguy's autorun normally enabled)

Share this post


Link to post

Weapons seem poorly balanced IMHO. I was able to cheese out the 3 levels i played with the 2nd pistol ONLY since it has unlimited ammo and hits multiple enemies.

Many of the other guns were either too weak or not useful in many situations. The shotgun and freeze gun took WAY too many shots to kill standard enemies for example.

Its NEVER a good thing if the player can prefer the PISTOL over the vast majority of the weapons given to them.

Share this post


Link to post

@Traysandor and @NPC_CO8ALT, Thank you the honesty. I am currently touching up everything as we speak. When it comes to what y'all have said are eye openers. I'm a noob still learning, so all what you say is helpful. I slowed down Jazz to a 1.5 speed, no ludicrous speed anymore... At least in my opinion. I was really trying best to match the original game by his speed.

 

I do agree about cut scenes. The problem is that idk how to code them... There is so much I need to learn. Weapons I'm working on, especially the shotgun. I took out the Railgun Turtle, was told he was annoying. Idk if it's the enemies HP, but I brought the HP down a pinch. Hopefully that'll help with the amount of shots taken from the shotgun, freeze gun etc.

 

I do apologize for posting a game with so many problems. As I mentioned, this is my first mod I ever designed. I learned everything all on my own with no knowledge on what I'm doing. I am sure I have missed a bunch of important info along the way. Thank you again, I will definitely get this mod to be more awesome than it is now ;)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I played some of this and enjoyed a lot of what I played. I was hit with waves of nostalgia from the title menu onwards, and I think the movement speed is spot-on (I'm thinking you've already slowed it down by now). 

 

I think there are two main aspects that are hurting my immersion:

  • The enemy sprites look a look out-of-place, graphically. I think some work to help them be more cohesive with the graphical style would go a long way.
  • The guns, while good nostalgic replicas of the originals, lack a little "punch". To be clear, I'm not saying that they don't do enough damage, but they lack punch in the way the SSG delivers it in spades. I think some sound work on these could do wonders.

I think there's a lot of potential here, and I'm excited to see how this is supported going forward.

 

Quote

I do apologize for posting a game with so many problems.

 

Definitely don't think you need to be apologizing. I've been pleasantly surprised of the community here, the great feedback offered, etc. I think if anything, this forum is a fantastic opportunity to improve your work into something much greater.

Share this post


Link to post

@noisebloom, Thanks bud, I appreciate that.

 

The turtle gunner enemies, I had a hard time to doing the shading at first, if that's what you mean by out of place, I'll definitely work on that overtime.

 

I agree with the weapon strength, but I actually got that taken care of yesterday.

 

I made so many changes, repairing and coding...

 

  • Shortened the mp3 songs, they were too long
  • Removed every error, except for one... still figuring that out
  • Inherit  a lot of the weapons, items and powers (Got tired of opening GZDoom Builder and seeing the long list of issues. Went from 57 to 16...)
  • Removed GLDefs on certain things.
  • Slowed down Jazz Jackrabbit. Was Speed = 2, went down to Speed = 1.5, back to standard Speed = 1
  • Removed a few weapons that I thought were useless or overpowered.
  • I removed the Rail-gunner
  • Aligned some textures and adding in missing textures I missed along the way.
  • Designed a customized HUD (Not the Status Bar)
  • Strengthened the firing on the Riot Shotgun and Freeze Cannon.
  • Changed up features on certain enemies

 

It was a headache but in my personal opinion, it runs way better than my previous versions of Jazz Jackrabbit Doom. I totally understand I don't need to apologize. I'm just the kind of person that doesn't like giving out crappy quality of anything. I am a perfectionist. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

So, I got to remove every single issue, except for one

 

"Attempt to get invalid state See from TurtleGoonBullet"

 

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

 

Thanks in advance for advice

2019-07-17.png

2019-07-17 (8).png

2019-07-17 (1).png

Edited by AlanjWeh89 : Added details

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, AlanjWeh89 said:

So, I got to remove every single issue, except for one

 

"Attempt to get invalid state See from TurtleGoonBullet"

 

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

 

Thanks in advance for advice

2019-07-17.png

2019-07-17 (8).png

2019-07-17 (1).png

 

 

Never mind, saw the problem and got it fixed.

Share this post


Link to post

I just redownloaded and the new WAD is called "JJDoom - v1.7.wad". Is this correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, noisebloom said:

I just redownloaded and the new WAD is called "JJDoom - v1.7.wad". Is this correct?

That's the current one to download. Still have yet to replace it with JJDoom - 1.8

 

I'll replace it when I get the chance. Still have to look through each level to fix anything.

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/12/2019 at 11:52 PM, RomDump said:

"What are you doing?" Yeah.

 

I played alot of Epic games as a kid but not a ton of Jazz. Still, I like alot of the throwbacks. The best part so far is the DOS font in the menus.

 

Lol, that is exactly what I was trying to do. Jazz and Doom were my 2 favorite games in my youth. Best of both worlds for sure. :)

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×