Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Elio AF

A Doom Collab?

Who would be interested if we did a Doom 2 wad, that runs with vanilla doom, but in Ultimate Doom format (4 episodes with 8+1 missions). I'm not quite sure what the theme is, I just don't have much in hand right now, and a collab wad seemed like a good idea. We can discuss some ideas here: https://discord.gg/JJbDYkZ

You can also see what I've thought of there.

Edited by Elio Nako

5 hours ago, Elio Nako said:

Who would be interested if we did a Doom 2 wad, that runs with vanilla doom, but in Ultimate Doom format (4 episodes with 8+1 missions). I'm not quite sure what the theme is, I just don't have much in hand right now, and a collab wad seemed like a good idea. We can discuss some ideas here: https://discord.gg/JJbDYkZ

You can also see what I've thought of there.

Welcome to Doomworld!

I assume that you mean you want to make a vanilla Doom 2 megawad, but one that has 36 maps and 4 intermission screens. For that, you'll need to use one of the ZDoom-family of ports (yes, I'm including GZDoom) or Eternity, because you'll need to use MAPINFO to define where the intermission screens will be and which maps will exit to the secret maps.

Other than that, if you want to assemble a full megawad, collaboration is probably the easiest way to get there quickly. If you can come up with an interesting idea and a decent theme, you'll probably get some volunteers to help you realize your goal. Having a map or maps of your own to show would help your cause, particularly since you're new and your first post is entreating others to help you realize a full megawad.

Fun fact, there are more engine with some sort of mapinfo than those listed (like a certain fork of the prodigal son.) Not sure how many support episode definition though, but I'd be surprised if EDGE didn't. I'd assume k8Vavoom has it too. So vanilla compatible could be made to work with a variety of ports. Although the best case would be if all engines supported umapinfo, but hey, at least two do.

But otherwise, yes, what Pegleg said. Once you have an idea and a few showcase maps, you can come back and start a community project, and you will probably get volunteers. Relevant thread to read.

UMAPINFO also fills this use case, assuming you want to keep things as otherwise-vanilla as possible. It still requires use of a port that supports it, however, which means PrBoom+/UMAPINFO at the minimum (GZDoom also supports it and I believe Eternity will at some point), but that'd probably be a bit less limiting in the end, even still.

I'm so dumb I totally forgot you cannot use mapinfo on vanilla doom SORRY ig it's GZDoom now.

6 hours ago, Elio Nako said:

I'm so dumb I totally forgot you cannot use mapinfo on vanilla doom SORRY ig it's GZDoom now.

You're not dumb. People, particularly those new to project management and proposal of DW projects, sometimes forget things. At least the responses you got were civil.

If you want to make maps that are vanilla compatible, you can still do that. The only need for MAPINFO is to define the episodic structure and show the new intermission screens where you want.

You can still create levels that will play in Chocolate Doom--for example, DMP 2017 had all the maps contained in 1 pk3. You could still load it in Chocolate Doom and play the first 7 maps (which were all vanilla compatible). So, you don't have to say "Well, I want to make a Doom 2 megawad with 4 episodes like the original Doom, so I have to abandon vanilla compatibility and make this a UDMF project." You certainly can, but you don't have to. Just set the ground rules for the project to be:

• Vanilla compatibility
  • Stock Doom 2 bestiary (or additional monsters if you want, but define the resource pack)
  • Stock Doom 2 weapons (or other weapons if you want, but define the resource pack)
  • Whatever texture resources you want to use (to go with the themes you want for the episodes)

Then list the episodes (with their themes) and let people sign up for the map they want to make. Explain that the megawad will be compiled for GZDoom to take advantage of the new episodic structure, but that the compatibility level is to remain vanilla and there will be quality control to maintain this requirement. And then stick to those guns when people start to complain about not being able to use the fancier features of GZDoom in their maps, why is the compatibility vanilla when it can only be played in GZDoom, etc.

Or you could just say "we're making a UDMF megawad for Doom 2 with four 9-map episodes." It's really up to you. The world is your oyster.

EDIT: Please make the link in the OP to your Discord channel a hyperlink. It's not necessary, but it is a convenience for people going there from here.

27 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

EDIT: Please make the link in the OP to your Discord channel a hyperlink. It's not necessary, but it is a convenience for people going there from here.

Thanks thanks, I just did. Also I finished mapinfo episodes so yeahh...

It depends if you have in mind some themes or some kind of limitations...

For now you have just in mind to a doom 2 wad divided in different episodes, right?

7 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

It depends if you have in mind some themes or some kind of limitations...

For now you have just in mind to a doom 2 wad divided in different episodes, right?

Definitely not, the backstory is 100% complete, for each and every episode, as well as I have prepared the skybox textures, so the themes it will have is a tech spaceship, moon base (Charon) , infected moon base (Pluto) and hell

49 minutes ago, Elio Nako said:

Definitely not, the backstory is 100% complete, for each and every episode, as well as I have prepared the skybox textures, so the themes it will have is a tech spaceship, moon base (Charon) , infected moon base (Pluto) and hell 

Can you share some of this here?

13 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Can you share some of this here?

Nope. Personally, I'd consider it kind of a spoiler, so I won't share it. But I guess it can't be helped anyways, since if you join the discord server, you can read the whole backstory...

Buuuuuut I don't mind sharing the skyboxes for e2 and e3

rsky2.jpg.5e6934781a915cc8dbfe9fab6d41dde6.jpgrsky3.png.91806c3413f42b5e86f78d54da4a87ba.png

Take a look yesterday at the things you done and it's a pretty cool stuff!

There's some kind of deadline? If it's a loose deadline like "end of the year" or something like that, maybe i'll join...

On 7/16/2019 at 11:12 AM, Walter confetti said:

Take a look yesterday at the things you done and it's a pretty cool stuff!

There's some kind of deadline? If it's a loose deadline like "end of the year" or something like that, maybe i'll join...

There's no deadline at all

Live Sign.zip

Here's a track I made, and I know the start and some transitions aren't as good as I imagined and as smooth as they should be, but I can fix them. This is basically sign of evil pitched down to -1 and slightly modified.

I also uploaded a video to my youtube channel, so watch it right here if you want, but it's the original version, unmodified at all, if y'all have any suggestions, you can leave them here, on youtube (commets etc) or on discord :) 

12 hours ago, Mk7_Centipede said:

great song!

Thank you! I didn't like that version as much as the new one. I'll make sure to upload it on youtube

I wouldn't mind contributing a level or a few for a collab project! I like the idea of working on a collaborative megawad!

But yeah maybe just making a 32 level megawad for doom 2 instead of making a 4 episode thing would be better unless you want to do a UD Megawad

1 hour ago, WolfBlue said:

I wouldn't mind contributing a level or a few for a collab project! I like the idea of working on a collaborative megawad!

But yeah maybe just making a 32 level megawad for doom 2 instead of making a 4 episode thing would be better unless you want to do a UD Megawad

It's split in 4 episodes, I already did that on MapInfo. Join us on discord! Also has Ultimate Doom textures as well, I added them myself.

25 minutes ago, Elio Nako said:

It's split in 4 episodes, I already did that on MapInfo. Join us on discord! Also has Ultimate Doom textures as well, I added them myself.

I have joined the discord!

19 minutes ago, WolfBlue said:

I have joined the discord!

Alright, gonna check it out tomorrow cuz I'm yawning so bad so...

On 7/18/2019 at 12:03 AM, Walter confetti said:

Oh, i see... so i'd like to join!

Are you on discord? If not join us