Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ProudCipherMedia

Fury's Sky - Action-Flight IWAD for GZDoom

2 minutes ago, Johnny B. Getgoode (The Guy) said:

Hai! I'm the lead dev of this project. My buddy here did a good job summarizing things with the main post, but feel free to ask if you have questions.

That's right! Also, if something breaks while you're playing, that's a good thing. Tell us what happened, when and under what conditions, and finally if it's a reproducible bug. Anything you find helps us make the game the best it can be!

Good hunting, gents!

Just a couple of months ago I was wondering, if someone ever tried to make something like Descent in GzDoom. This project looks very interesting and I can't wait to see where this is going. Keep us updated!

On 7/12/2019 at 10:43 PM, elend said:

Just a couple of months ago I was wondering, if someone ever tried to make something like Descent in GzDoom. This project looks very interesting and I can't wait to see where this is going. Keep us updated!

It's less "Descent" and more "Star Fox", at least in terms of how the planes feel. It does have some Descent-like elements, though, such as flying in caves or other confined spaces. No 6DoF though, although someone did do that recently...

Anyway, Cipher and I will definitely keep you guys updated! Right now I'm working on improving AI pathfinding, and I just implemented a basic respec system for plane upgrades.

EDIT: Just pushed out changes. Redownload if you want the new hotness. :P

Edited by Johnny B. Getgoode (The Guy)

This looks super cool. I played it some with mouse/keyboard but I'd much rather play something like this on a controller. Has that been done/tested (I know gzdoom has controller support I just didn't know if there's known issues or anything)?

For now I've just flown around the tutorial a bit but there's an untextured strip of grass in the middle of it in case you were unaware

2 minutes ago, DuckReconMajor said:

This looks super cool. I played it some with mouse/keyboard but I'd much rather play something like this on a controller. Has that been done/tested (I know gzdoom has controller support I just didn't know if there's known issues or anything)?

For now I've just flown around the tutorial a bit but there's an untextured strip of grass in the middle of it in case you were unaware

Funny you should mention that. I omitted controller support because, previously, I had no way to code keyboard/controller support in the hangar menus.

That has changed. In my latest dev build, I found a way to make the menus respond to keyboard/controller events. So now the next step is getting surefire controller support on the table. It will be included in the next update, provided I can get it working in a satisfactory manner.

Note that a cockpit view will also be added. :P

Also, I'm aware of that grass. No idea what's causing it ATM. It hasn't been a huge priority right now, but I'll definitely look into it.

Awesome, I look forward to both of those things. I don't mind using keyboard in the menus as long as the controller functions during gameplay.

The grass doesn't bother me, was just making sure it wasn't something on my side.

1 minute ago, DuckReconMajor said:

Awesome, I look forward to both of those things. I don't mind using keyboard in the menus as long as the controller functions during gameplay.

You won't have to. I've tested the menus and the controller works as well as the keyboard. Left Axis Up/Down or D-Pad Up/Down can be used to cycle through hangar buttons, and the "A" button on an XInput controller can select stuff (On a DInput controller, it's probably "Button1" or something; they're all different).

Sorry for the double post, but I just thought I'd let all interested parties know that a new version of Fury's Sky is now live, and it's a biggun. It adds controller support, a cockpit view, and some improvements to AI and HUD scaling.

Now, there's a couple things to be aware of before you take the plunge.

IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED TO RESET ALL OPTIONS TO DEFAULTS THROUGH SETTINGS IF YOU'RE COMING FROM AN OLDER BUILD. HUD SCALING MAY BE DISTORTED OTHERWISE.

Also, when controller support is enabled, the yaw/pitch movement model for the plane changes entirely to one that better suits controllers. So no automatic banking when the stick/mouse is let go. If you want to use the mouse with the old movement model, you need to disable controller support from options,

Also also, HOTAS and analog throttles are not supported...yet. :P

Ok, was able to try tutorial out with my Switch Pro controller. Good stuff so far. Some notes

• The limited menu options in the FurySky don't include "Joystick Options" so I had to load up Doom 2 to enable/configure the controller.
  • As a note to others who prefer inverted up/down in flight games, you have to invert the "Forward/Backward" axis in the Joystick Options, not the "Look Up/Down" axis
  • When I read yesterday about how the controller functions (does not return to center when joystick returns to center) I thought I'd like that better but I think I prefer it to return to center (This i think would be closer to how it is in Star Fox)
  • With no further configuration the only controller thing that works is directional stick (I realize I just need to set it up in GZDoom, just leaving as info)

Also, I know this may not be possible, but for lack of better words will there be "Expert" control (full 6 axis motion) instead of "Novice" (left/right/up/down controls), to use Ace Combat terms? I realize this is supposed to be Star Fox-like but that was a rail-shooter type game most of the time. Maybe it is in here too I just have played the Tutorial so far. 

Anyway, still great so far, plan to configure controller and try out actual game soon.

edit: ok I was wrong the right stick does yaw. 

Edited by DuckReconMajor

2 hours ago, DuckReconMajor said:

• The limited menu options in the FurySky don't include "Joystick Options" so I had to load up Doom 2 to enable/configure the controller.

You shouldn't have to do that with the latest IWAD. In the update, there is a "Joystick Options" menu called "Controller Options" (which is essentially the same thing, just with different labels for the functions). This point, along with the note about Joystick behavior, makes me think you're still using an older IWAD. Did you redownload from the Proud Cipher site, perchance?

Also, 6-axis motion is not implemented, nor will it be. The game was designed around the "novice" control scheme, or Rogue Squadron controls if that's your thing, as a stylistic choice. This game is not intended as a flight sim or sim-like, and I want to focus more on the action, so I would prefer not to have too many layers of complication.

I'm glad to see such unique projects in the community. Keep it up.

It also reminds me a bit of Warhawk and Colony Wars.

Ok yeah you are totally right, I forgot to update the iwad. Updated and it's much better now. 

At this point my only issue is the turning doesn't seem to be analog, just once I get out of the deadzone it goes full left/right. I tried adjusting the sensitivity but it seems to be the same, anywhere from 0.1 to 4.0 does instant full turn, but if i turn to 0.0 of course it doesn't turn. I tried it in regular Doom 2 and it does recognize analog movement there.

It's still usable the way it is but it'd be even better with analog turning.

Here is a video of me playing it after clearing the config to default, doing some option tweaking in the tutorial, then trying it out in the campaign.

edit: I have two controllers there because I've connected the pro controller via Bluetooth, but now I have it directly in via USB-C and it shows up as a second controller, so I had to figure out which was which.

At this point my only issue is the turning doesn't seem to be analog, just once I get out of the deadzone it goes full left/right. I tried adjusting the sensitivity but it seems to be the same, anywhere from 0.1 to 4.0 does instant full turn, but if i turn to 0.0 of course it doesn't turn. I tried it in regular Doom 2 and it does recognize analog movement there.

It's still usable the way it is but it'd be even better with analog turning.

After watching your video, I noticed that you were using "Tilt" instead of "Yaw" to control turning. That's probably where you are running into issues.

Yaw and pitch are both analog. Tilt is not, however: it just flips your craft 90 degrees so that you can yaw faster (Star Fox 64 has a similar mechanic where you would hold Z or R to tilt the Arwing 90 degrees and then accelerate turning based on which way you were tilting). I realize that that's a bit confusing, since it's not yaw in the traditional sense, but that's how I did it. Try using the Yaw axis for basic turns instead.

Gotcha. Re-bound everything and it's so much better. Very Star Fox-like as you said. Figured out how to upgrade aircraft and heal and working through the first mission now. Thanks for the help!

10 hours ago, DuckReconMajor said:

Gotcha. Re-bound everything and it's so much better. Very Star Fox-like as you said. Figured out how to upgrade aircraft and heal and working through the first mission now. Thanks for the help!

No problem. I appreciate your feedback a ton. It's nice getting a perspective about my game through the eyes of an interested player. It gives me some insight as to how I can improve my game, or at least get the ideas I'm trying to convey across.

HEADS UP, BOYOS. It has been determined that the F-63 Scarab, in its current form, sucks harder than a leech with Dyson-powered lips. Therefore, it is getting a rework.

Here's what you can expect from the new and improved Beetle-boi.

-Laser weapon will be replaced with a rapid-fire projectile repeater.

-Projectiles will grant shields to the Scarab on impact with an enemy. Each hit increases the shield's duration. This is now the only way to gain shields, as the ability to gain a shield from airbrake has been removed for the Scarab.

-Absorption Beam and Absorption pulse will now restore energy scaling with the Scarab's damage rating. The base energy gain from Absorption Beam will be halved, along with the cooldown between beams, so you can use it more often.

-Redirection has been reworked. Now you can hold down the button to use more Charge to power it, and gain more energy back in return. The amount of energy gained per unit of Charge scales with the Scarab's energy efficiency rating.

These changes will be live in the next update.

'Ello you blokes!

I decided to push another update. Note that this will be the last update for the IWAD until the Steam release. So basically, the IWAD that's available now will be the build that will be distributed on Steam.

The main draw of this update is that the IWAD is now fully compatible (as far as I know) with the Android source port Delta Touch. Here's a basic guide on how to get the IWAD running in Delta:

1. Download the IWAD and rename it from "FURYSKY.iwad" to "FURYSKY.wad"

2. Stick it in the folder where Delta detects IWAD files. By default, that's /OpenTouch/Delta on your internal phone/tablet storage.

3. Run the IWAD using GZDoom Dev Legacy or (if your device supports it) GZDoom Dev Modern. Note that I've personally had better results on Legacy.

4. Once you've confirmed that the IWAD works on your device, you'll need to bind functions to either Delta's touch buttons or Delta's gamepad menu. Here's a list of Doom input functions and what they correspond to in FS:

Look Up/Down = Pitch (Alternate)

Look Left/Right = Yaw

Move Forward/Backward = Pitch (Normal)

Move Up/Down = Throttle

Move Left/Right = Tilt

Jump = Airbrake

Crouch = Toggle 1st/3rd person

User 1-4 = Wingman commands

Attack = Primary Fire

Alt Attack = Secondary Fire

Reload = Replenish Health

Zoom = Free Camera

Also, DO NOT ENABLE SOFTWARE RENDERER IN DELTA SETTINGS. MODELS WILL NOT SHOW UP. THIS MOD IS GLES-ONLY.

Other than that, a lot of the stuff in the update is bug-fixes and QoL improvements. Note that starting CP will be set to 0 and only 2 planes will be available for purchase at the start: The Condor and Locust. The others must be unlocked through gameplay. Note that some planes are currently inaccessible due to certain criteria being impossible to fulfill right now. That will change as more levels and content are added.

Thanks for your support! See you when we launch on Steam!

For those interested in sampling the game with all the planes/weapons, here's a version of the IWAD that has them all unlocked. It works alongside the main wad, and the install procedure is the same: just dump it in the same directory as gzdoom.exe. It's called "FURYDEMO.iwad."

Note that FURYDEMO will NOT receive updates. EVER. If you want to play any new content that gets added, you must use the main WAD.

Speaking of content, MAP 04 and MAP 05 are being developed ATM. I hope to have them ready, alongside 6, 7, and 8, by one week after our Steam launch. We're targeting a release of August 12th, but that may be subject to change.

Have fun!

On 7/25/2019 at 11:36 AM, Johnny B. Getgoode (The Guy) said:

For those interested in sampling the game with all the planes/weapons, here's a version of the IWAD that has them all unlocked. It works alongside the main wad, and the install procedure is the same: just dump it in the same directory as gzdoom.exe. It's called "FURYDEMO.iwad."

Note that FURYDEMO will NOT receive updates. EVER. If you want to play any new content that gets added, you must use the main WAD.

Speaking of content, MAP 04 and MAP 05 are being developed ATM. I hope to have them ready, alongside 6, 7, and 8, by one week after our Steam launch. We're targeting a release of August 12th, but that may be subject to change.

Have fun!

Will the final level of the main IWAD have the Icon of Sin in it?  :)

8 minutes ago, Master O said:

Will the final level of the main IWAD have the Icon of Sin in it?  :)

No, but it will make you its bitch, John Romero style.

In all seriousness, I do have neat stuff planned for the later parts of the game, but I need to get there with the earlier levels first, heh.

Also, possibly putting in some balance changes, because of shit like this

27 minutes ago, Johnny B. Getgoode (The Guy) said:

No, but it will make you its bitch, John Romero style.

Dai-Fury's-Sky-Katana?

Hey, you know how I said I wouldn't update the IWAD until the Steam release?

I LIED.

A new update is live, and can be downloaded from the link on the first post.

The main feature of this new update is two brand new levels: MAP04 and MAP05. MAP04 is a scavenger hunt mission where you find and down a Night Owl transport in a labyrinthine canyon with twisty passages and caves. You need to find it quickly, lest the transport escape and the mission fail. If you complete this mission, MAP05 awaits. In MAP05, you assault a Night Owl base where historical artifacts are being unearthed for an unknown purpose. Shut down the operation by taking out 4 excavators on the map. But be warned, the Owls won't let that site go without a fight! You may run into something especially nasty on that map...

The update has also been applied to the Steam build, and will be available when the game releases. Good luck and good hunting!