Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nekr0s1s

Unpopular Modern Opinions

1 minute ago, ketmar said:

actually, i can wait for several years, and then do a cheap upgrade, and run current "next-next-next-gen-AAA^3" games on an average-to-lower PC of that time. i am in no hurry to try the game immediately after release.

Same here, that's how I am able to enjoy games that I could not back in the early 2010s after all :D. Then again, I am increasingly worried about the future compatibility of the games made nowadays, won't be surprised if they're going to be nothing more than digital garbage in 10yrs from now, so waiting so much time is probably not going to bring any benefits...

But even so, I'm still not very fond of the idea. It really does look like system requirements are an absolute deal breaker for me nowadays, and something I am completely tired of.

cackling at anyone who spends money on maintaining a benchmark PC so they can play modern games because they think indie games "are derivative"
i think you got that shit in reverse dummy
modern AAA games have to be a hundred percent derivative cos they're principly guided by people who don't give a shit about games.

just cos you've seen a couple of 16 bit megaman clones on steam doesn't preclude indie gaming from being the major creative force in the scene.

Edited by yakfak

1 hour ago, seed said:

hen again, I am increasingly worried about the future compatibility of the games made nowadays, won't be surprised if they're going to be nothing more than digital garbage in 10yrs from now

i'd say that such games were garbage from the very beginning then. like, if you know that you did a really good thing, you know that it will be making you money for years. sure, not much, but is there such thing as useless money making property? ;-)

that is, i believe that good games will prolly be available in one or another form, in a stores like GOG*. and if the game will disappear, then it doesn't worth my time, because it was just a silly cash grab. i can always choose another cash grab game, they're all the same anyway. ;-)

*ok, or in one of file sharing networks, stripped of DRM. if the publisher don't want my money by that time... meh, "pirates" will do me a favor for free then.

Count me in with the "Duke Nukem Forever is actually pretty good" crowd. I don't like the turret sections - especially the second one against all of the fighters - but otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed that game. I do agree with the majority opinion that the "Doctor Who Cloned Me" DLC is better than the main game though. I think part of that is that it simply has no crappy turret sections!

You can also count me in with the "Aliens: Colonial Marines wasn't bad" crowd. On XBox 360, played Solo or Co-op, I had a good time with it. Graphically I'd say it fits right in with that console and the instances of the AI failing it weren't particularly noticeable if you're just playing the game.

At large this isn't an unpopular opinion, but in this forum it seems to be... Doom 2016 is the best Doom. Doom 3 was made more fun by BFG edition, but was a pretty good (albeit slow) game beforehand; I just much prefer the high-octane excitement of the new Doom. I'm properly hyped for Doom Eternal, too. I won't offer opinions on the older Dooms here, as they're not "modern" by any definition, but suffice it to say that they're products of their time and I'd not be playing still if it weren't for source ports and my mapping hobby/habit.

No idea if this opinion is popular or not. I certainly haven't seen it said anywhere that I look, but in putting most exclusive XBox One games on the Windows Store and making them playable with Windows 10, Microsoft have sealed my opinion that the XBox One isn't worth owning. Sure, I missed out on Forza Motorsport 5 and 6, plus the proper version of Forza Horizon 2 and (seemingly) Halo 5, but I've played Gears of War 4, Forza Motorsport 6 Apex and 7, plus Forza Horizon 3 and 4 in 4k on my PC and would expect later entries in these flagship series to be available on PC too. So for most console games, a PS4 will suffice (unless you want Nintendo, but they've always been exclusive) and the majority of games seem to be multi-platform including PC now. I can't think of a single XBox One exclusive other than Halo 5 and Horizon 2 that I really want to play and in that latter case I've got two major "even better" sequels already.

So yeah, XBox One is pointless and Microsoft have enforced that with the PC-XBox cross platform support. Honestly, that's a good thing.

To add to the topic, I'd like to remark that the PC Gaming Community is a fucking blight. I built a computer but I still play consoles, and its embarrassing to see deride others for their gaming machine of choice. 

I dunno, Xbox has mouse and kb support now, and that's pretty HUGE for me personally, although the game needs to support them in the first place, you can't just play any game with a PC-like setup. But it is surely tempting to buy an Xbox for this reason alone for me (saying this as someone who has not touched any controllers in over a decade, whose brain is likely going to split in half the moment he touches one).

I heavily disagree about A:CM not being bad, the only things that game got right were the sound effects, music, and atmosphere, the story and gameplay was hot garbage, with braindead Xenos which only do suicidal charges in your direction instead of relying on their environment to get you, useless friendly AI, and fighting much more Weyland Yutani troops than Xenos. Did I mention how the Xenos AI was fixed on PC by correcting a simple typo ("teather" -> "tether"). The game deserve the reputation it got, and Gearbox all the hate for failing to deliver a decent game after multiple delays and deciding to outsource it to other studios, not to mention overhyping it to hell.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

To add to the topic, I'd like to remark that the PC Gaming Community is a fucking blight. I built a computer but I still play consoles, and its embarrassing to see deride others for their gaming machine of choice. 

+1. Fuck platform wars and exclusivity.

On 7/14/2019 at 3:17 PM, Ajora said:

I'll call Gone Home what I want to, thanks. Gone Home is the game where the term originated from. For many of us, it's the first game that springs to mind when we hear the term being used. I've played through Gone Home. I like Gone Home. The exploration elements outweigh the puzzle elements. Even if they didn't, 'walking simulator' is a perfectly apt way to describe the game. I get that the nomenclature was initially meant to be derogatory, and for many people, it still is, but many of us in the walking simulator community use the term affectionately and without irony. It's a much better label for a video game genre than 'SHMUP' or 'character action game'. 

I expected that game to be like Shadowgate... nope. There's a lot more exploration and backtracking, but yes it's a walking simulator and while there were other walking simulators before it, the term appeared in a lot of reviews. Oh and like a lot of Unity garbage or walking simulators in general, there are no mirrors. Prodeus is a walking simulator and so is Dear Esther, dare I say the first. It was on par with a walk through Skyrim, but I didn't have to pay $10 for an hour of gameplay. Walking simulators are relaxing and easy to complete.

On 7/14/2019 at 3:22 PM, EtherBot said:

i quite like the descriptor "walking simulator."

the previous opinion was me explaining how "walking" legitimately is literally the central gameplay mechanic, and how thats fine

gone home isnt about walking, though. There's more to learn from its design in regards to organically weaving gameplay and story in regards to puzzles and worldbuilding. It's the next step from arcane point and click games the adventure genre desperately needed for its comeback, and instead of talking about that everyone calls it a "walking simulator." I don't think thats derogatory, its just inaccurate. It shares some aesthetic similarities but i wouldn't call Portal an FPS.

Imagine if walking simulators were just called EstherHomes like MetroidVanias.

On 7/14/2019 at 9:37 PM, D88M3R said:

I thought it was Dear Esther? That was the first one that i played, now THAT is a true "walking simulator" if i have ever seen one, if i am remembering right Gone Home came when the party already started and the genre(?) was already well known, but i just dont feel like doing the research right now, maybe it did coined the term first.

I feel Dear Esther was the first and the true definition, but walking simulator didn't appear until Gone Home reviews. I was rather disappointed it was an hour walk through Skyrim quality visuals when in Skyrim I could be fighting things.

4 hours ago, ketmar said:

oh, Mass Effect. Mako is great, i really love driving it.

Yeah driving it up walls, doing flips with it. That thing is so comically terrible they never brought it back.

7 minutes ago, geo said:

Yeah driving it up walls, doing flips with it.

absolute fun! feels like arcade racing game with arcade physics. yet i've been told that it is much more boring on consoles with a controller, and that's prolly where all hatred against Mako came from. i can imagine that with a controller it is not as fun.

actual unpopular opinions...idk. I've written here before about how Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs is absolutely phenomenal, and doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

Can I get meta with my unpopular opinion?

We need to stop talking about games purely in terms of "goodness." Take sound design for instance. People stray from discussing what effect the sound design has on the game, in favor of binary, meaningless declarations that the sound design is "good" or "bad." We treat video games as software with objective purposes and not as art. Hell, culture has started talking about art in general as if it has an objective purpose. Why is everyone so concerned all of a sudden with rating attempts at expression? IDK, it gets on my nerves.

1 hour ago, ketmar said:

absolute fun! feels like arcade racing game with arcade physics. yet i've been told that it is much more boring on consoles with a controller, and that's prolly where all hatred against Mako came from. i can imagine that with a controller it is not as fun.

Felt like a hover tank it was so floaty. In some cases it was tough to drive forward without it zig zagging. It was terrible during that xenomorph mission. I played on PC and I felt it was weird getting forced to use a keyboard for a game that on consoles lets you use a controller.

The Mako was a strange beast. I think I enjoyed the sections with it a lot more when I as in actually designed levels, rather than terrain generated maps with prefab buildings in (with duplicated interiors...). Definitely glad to have played that with a controller on the 360! Kind of missed it when it was gone, as the resource mining was even less interesting, albeit quicker.

Also, I saw some talk of controllers... I have a wired XBox 360 controller plugged into my PC that sees use in racing games and stuff like Assassin's Creed and Arkham Asylum. I then swap to keyboard and mouse for RTS and FPS. It's a great controller and works very well for a lot of games. I can't imagine why you'd go without one, to be honest!

I played mass effect on PC (with kb & mouse) . The Mako felt weird at first but when I got used to controlling it, I really enjoyed it. 

4 minutes ago, Phobus said:

I think I enjoyed the sections with it a lot more when I as in actually designed levels, rather than terrain generated maps with prefab buildings in (with duplicated interiors...).

I too enjoyed the actual designed missions more compared to the prefab terrain and building planets. But that has more to do with the environment as opposed to using Mako.

The only other game I can think of where the use of keyboard and mouse felt totally wrong versus a controller was when I tried Halo: Combat Evolved on PC way back when. Driving the Warthog trying to steer with the mouse was a proper headfuck... So I gave up and never played it again until I found Halo: CE Anniversary Edition for XBox 360 and then had a good time and did the rest of the series as well.

Also, new unpopular opinion - the Battlefield series (from 3 onward) are totally worth getting on a discount for the single player campaigns. But be prepared to jump through some EA hoops to actually get the working on PC.

3 hours ago, yakfak said:

cackling at anyone who spends money on maintaining a benchmark PC so they can play modern games because they think indie games "are derivative"
i think you got that shit in reverse dummy
modern AAA games have to be a hundred percent derivative cos they're principly guided by people who don't give a shit about games.

just cos you've seen a couple of 16 bit megaman clones on steam doesn't preclude indie gaming from being the major creative force in the scene.

Oh you don't need a benchmark PC to play modern games, just something made in the last 5 years. Really the bare minimum is that your machine supports whatever API the game uses, and since the majority of indie games use premade engines (RPG Maker, Unity, Game Maker), being unable to run modern games even when forced down to potato settings probably won't lead to an enjoyable experience (if they boot at all). Buying anything other than midrange is also waste of money in the long term, as all those Titans eventually get outclassed by future lineups (while having far less of the support and QOL features later cards have).

There's one dirty truth you have to accept: the mass majority of indie games are either scams, completely incoherent, fangames, or otherwise indistinguishable from each other. All it takes is one look at itch.io, Gamejolt, and the amount of stolen clipart hentai shovelware games flooding Steam to see that. The majority of anything is awful, and this is a factor in all media.

32 minutes ago, Jaxxoon R said:

Oh you don't need a benchmark PC to play modern games, just something made in the last 5 years.

*laughs in i5-3570k*

8 hours ago, seed said:

$$$, need to spell that again it seems.

Not all of us have that kind of budget to allow us to enjoy high end PC gaming. I don't, so the chances of me sticking to PC gaming in the future are gradually decreasing, unless Stadia or GeForce Now turn out to be a decent alternative. If not, consoles here I come.

If you want PC gaming, you'd better have the money. And yes powerful PCs are very expensive (they definitely are here, <1000$ is not going to get you far and that is NOT an exaggeration, and I'm not adding anything else to the price apart from the PC itself, good luck gaming on budget hardware, unless you're playing few games, or older titles, in which case a high end rig is probably going to be overkill...).

tl;dr keep in mind not all can afford the luxury.

either you have way too high standards for your situation or you have no experience with pc gaming at all, I can achieve about 60fps with most modern games at high settings in 1080p with a 500€ pc, especially with AMDs budget products recently. Obviously if you want 120 fps on 4k monitors it's going to be more expensive but again, your standards are too high if you lack the money for it (how ever if you look into youtube some budget PCs are even showing good results for 4k but I have no personal experience with that). You're also not forced to pay extra every month for services just to play multiplayer.

PCs aren't really cheaper for the performance compared to a ps4 pro for example but just 100€ more and you'll get way more options and freedom to play your games the way you want to.

53 minutes ago, ([zen3001]) said:

either you have way too high standards for your situation or you have no experience with pc gaming at all, I can achieve about 60fps with most modern games at high settings in 1080p with a 500€ pc, especially with AMDs budget products recently. Obviously if you want 120 fps on 4k monitors it's going to be more expensive but again, your standards are too high if you lack the money for it (how ever if you look into youtube some budget PCs are even showing good results for 4k but I have no personal experience with that).

I think you missed my point if you're saying this. Also I'm aiming for 1080p @ 60fps on high/max settings, it's not that much is it? What a surprise I also have a 500e PC that was purchased not too long ago and guess what, I can't run games like Doom 2016 or Prey on my desired settings.

You're also not forced to pay extra every month for services just to play multiplayer.

Don't mind that too much, if that's the price of getting rid of sys req forever. You've probably also missed my numerous posts on MP (something I no longer have any interest in as a whole, so a Playstation would fit nicely since you only need to pay for MP there).

just 100€ more

"just".

Simply put, that's the kind of money that I neither have nor have much interest to invest.

so instead of just paying 100€ more you preffer to pay about 10 every month, just so you don't have to worry about looking at the requirements?

what's your system btw? I can play most modern games like doom without a problem with my 500€ pc.

37 minutes ago, ([zen3001]) said:

so instead of just paying 100€ more you preffer to pay about 10 every month, just so you don't have to worry about looking at the requirements?

what's your system btw? I can play most modern games like doom without a problem with my 500€ pc.

I know it's kind of a strange logic, but with a console I know that I will also simply be able to run whatever I want without ever having to worry about upgrading in the future, unlike with a PC. Again, I would not pay 10 bucks every month if, hypothetically speaking, I would choose a Playstation where only the MP aspect requires a subscription, and my interest in MP is below zero so it would be basically free for me.

Besides, I'm not playing many triple-A games anyway, which in a way makes matters even worse because I'm definitely not upgrading, let alone build a PC just for 1 or 2 games that happen to capture my attention. The only reason why I am still on PC honestly is the fact that I had managed to get various games for the platform over the years as I was not allowed to own a console back when I was a kid (my parents had always been supportive of things that mattered such as education, but never hobbies and personal interests), otherwise I would have probably never got any interest in the platform, it has nothing to offer to me anymore.

As for specs... currently using an i5-6xxx series (more than that is irrelevant really...), 8GB of RAM, and a GTX 950. That's as far as 500e took me at the time, the only change I could have possibly made was going for an i7 at the expense of a weaker video card, but I wasn't, and I'm still not, considering a future upgrade. Not good enough to run games like Witcher 3, Prey, or Doom 2016 on high settings in 1080p @ 60fps, isn't it?

15 hours ago, ketmar said:

oh, Mass Effect. Mako is great, i really love driving it.

I maintain that anyone who dislikes the Mako simply doesn't know how to drive it properly ... that being "like a lunatic". :)

- Wolfenstein II is much better than The New Order/Old Blood, at least from a gameplay perspective (no more fucking bullet-sponge shotgunners for one thing).

- Nothing about The Witcher 3 grabbed me. Albeit, I've only played 8 hours of it according to Steam, but I have little incentive to continue with it, especially with how goddamn long it supposedly is. Also, fuck CD Projekt RED for how they treat their workers; they aren't the angels that much of the gaming community worship them as.

- Indie developers need to stop living in the past and make something truly original, or at least explore themes that are rarely done. for example:

What about an egyptian-themed RPG game? why most games in the genre have to be some generic dark/high fantasy? have the player character be some badass pharaoh or the son of one of the many gods.

Probably too much to ask, but what about making some licensing deals to make some games based on not-so-famous animes? like a FPS based on Gantz, a Death Note adventure game, a racing game based on either Wangan Midnight or Initial D.

6 hours ago, Nekr0s1s said:

- Indie developers need to stop living in the past and make something truly original, or at least explore themes that are rarely done. for example:

What about an egyptian-themed RPG game?

Unrest is a fantasy RPG based on India (of course it's not that exotic to the devs, as they are from there).

As for the other idea, why would you put up with the headaches of licensing for a property that isn't famous/popular?

I actually like more of the same, as long as it still is good and fresh. And I am forever stuck in the past and future, but never present.

Also,

a racing game based on either Wangan Midnight or Initial D.

I think both are popular among car enthusiasts or people who play racing games in general.

animes

Just "anime" for both singular and plural, same for "manga" :p.

Here's a few of my unpopular modern gaming views I hold:

- DooM 4 is the worst DooM game out of the main 4 + Final DooM.

- The Wii is the best Generation 7 console

Kinda couldn't think of many... I rarely touch modern release games that aren't Indie :P

On 7/18/2019 at 2:02 AM, Nekr0s1s said:

Probably too much to ask, but what about making some licensing deals to make some games based on not-so-famous animes? like a FPS based on Gantz, a Death Note adventure game, a racing game based on either Wangan Midnight or Initial D.

Aren't all of those hugely popular though :P

11 hours ago, Pegg said:

Aren't all of those hugely popular though :P

Not down here in Brazil. I went to an anime convention earlier this month and most people only seem to care about shonen-type anime. eg.: Saint Seiya, One Punch Man, Bleach, Naruto and so on.

"Fighting games are still in stagnation today. The genre was only worth the investment in the 1990s."

Unfortunately, I've learned the hard way dropping chess in exchange. Fighting games require you to either have a strong scene or you need to travel to forward your experience. I was at my limit with online multiplayer years ago. I think I could have reached grandmaster in chess if I didn't give up on finding competition. Fortunately, with the resources today, I could reach my prime or more.

Blizzard is solely to blame for the stagnation/death of the RTS genre. They've been making the exact same RTS since WC2 (occasionally enhanced by concepts that other more experimental studios added to their RTS franchises) and they are indirectly responsible for the MOBA.