Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nekr0s1s

Unpopular Modern Opinions

What? Starcraft and warcraft 3 had a much bigger impact on the genre than warcraft 2.

The problem with most rts games is having a crappy campaign. People will go multiplayer and find out how much demanding these games are. Just like fighting games.

Starcraft is just Warcraft 2 with concepts stolen from War Wind, and Warcraft 3 is just Starcraft with concepts stolen from Warlords Battlecry.

i'm going to be completely frank and say its delusional to say that "Starcraft is just Warcraft 2 with yaddayaddayadda." The two games are honestly so different its hard to compare the two directly at all.

I dunno, maybe I'm biased, I love starcraft despite sucking at it. I like that the game has the high skill ceiling it does for skirmish play, and I did find the campaign pretty alright.

1 hour ago, FractalBeast said:

Starcraft is just Warcraft 2 with concepts stolen from War Wind, and Warcraft 3 is just Starcraft with concepts stolen from Warlords Battlecry.

Warcraft 3 plays very differently from Starcraft. Awful comparison. 

- Cosmetic-only microtransactions are just as bad as P2W and random roll ones. Whereas the school bullies used to kick your ass and call you a loser, now they call you a Default.

- Super Mario Odyssey > BotW.

- Don't care about the FF7 remake. Ask me again when the final episode is released (probably never).

- Nintendo games are too damn expensive, even when buying used. Cartridges are not an excuse, just ask CDPR.

- Premium online multiplayer sucks.

- Online multiplayer sucks.

- Doom Eternal will have microtransactions for Battlemode. Don't believe me? Hit up the Steam page, check the preorder bonus and tell me the Big White Square isn't gonna monetize the entire intestine out of that, let alone the shit.

- Farpoint was actually pretty good.

- Saints Row 2 was the best one by a mile. They should have ported THAT to the Switch. The Third was incoherent and completely lacking in content, so much so that I managed to 100% it in a single weekend.

- Smash is a convoluted mess that is almost impossible to keep track of. And I've beaten Cuphead, make of that what you will.

- Dangerous Driving > Burnout Paradise, even with the bugs and the shit framerate on console.

- The Squeenix Avengers game looks like ass.

- The Last of Us' actual gameplay wasn't that great, tbh.

- Gran Turismo Sport is an affront to the series and it kills me that such a robust paintjob editor would be wasted on such an abomination.

- Quake Champions kind of got boring after a while. It made me realise that what I really loved about Quake III was the mod support.

- Aliens Colonial Marines is actually pretty fun. That "hacking the door" bit in the hangar is still the hardest, most bullshit and unbalanced part of the game, but with the patches and the corrected .INI file, it's actually quite enjoyable now.

"- Cosmetic-only microtransactions are just as bad as P2W and random roll ones. Whereas the school bullies used to kick your ass and call you a loser, now they call you a Default."

Not remotely true. Cosmetic-only microtransactions don't hold the games you purchase for ransom behind paywalls or give unfair advantages to the opponents you play against who are willing to spend exorbitant amounts of dosh. Cosmetic-only microtransactions ultimately don't have any adverse effects on gameplay, whereas non-cosmetic microtransactions have a litany of problems attached to them. With games such as DOTA 2 and Fornite, cosmetic-only microtransactions allow for free content updates to get funded and are ultimately beneficial for all parties involved. I'm guessing you're angry because someone you were playing CSGO with insulted you for not having a better knife. This is a really bad take. 

"- Online multiplayer sucks."

That's a very broad and narrow-minded thing to say, sir. 

"- The Squeenix Avengers game looks like ass."

I haven't heard anybody say anything besides this. 

5 hours ago, Ajora said:

With games such as DOTA 2 and Fornite, cosmetic-only microtransactions allow for free content updates to get funded and are ultimately beneficial for all parties involved. I'm guessing you're angry because someone you were playing CSGO with insulted you for not having a better knife. This is a really bad take. 

That's going a bit too far don't ya think? All MTX are the same cancer to me as well, regardless of their impact upon gameplay, although admittedly the purely cosmetic ones are not quite as bad as they don't affect that part of the game (obviously).

I'd also argue they allow for milking masquerading as "new content" BS more than anything. I'd rather have DLCs or expansions instead of those if we're talking about more content in the future. For me, MTX have a place only in F2P games so that the games can stay that way and they could prolly be seen as a way to fund or support future content indeed, but if the game had to be purchased (aka not free-to-play) there's no excuse to incorporate these things, even if you're not forced to spend a single penny on them.

Are you going to tell me now I'm angry because a random internet kid insulted me for not having enough lootboxes and AWP skins :p ?

9 hours ago, SaladBadger said:

i'm going to be completely frank and say its delusional to say that "Starcraft is just Warcraft 2 with yaddayaddayadda." The two games are honestly so different its hard to compare the two directly at all.

I dunno, maybe I'm biased, I love starcraft despite sucking at it. I like that the game has the high skill ceiling it does for skirmish play, and I did find the campaign pretty alright.

All the major differences between Starcraft and Warcraft 2 are features that Blizzard stole from Warwind.

Asymmetrical tech trees, asymmetrical play styles, even those "installation" maps.

@Ajora: I don't play CSGO or any other games with that crap in it. It's the sole reason I quit Quake Champions. There is such a thing as peer pressure and cosmetic MTX are built entirely upon it. "Hey, all your mates have this cool shit, why don't you?" Pressuring kids into pestering their parents who don't know any better to drop hard-earned cash on overpriced skins for fear of IRL social ridicule. This isn't just my opinion, either. Google "Let's Go Whaling" and see what comes up. They may help support a game long term, but to say they aren't manipulative is completely disingenuous.

Online multiplayer didn't always suck, only when endless treadmill progression and unlocks became the norm. Also the near-complete erasure of free-for-all dethmatch. The last MP game I truly enjoyed as-is was Q3A, because I could just drop into a matchwithout a headset and shoot shit without wondering what XP level my opponent was or what gear they were using. Actually, this ties into my issue with MTX too.

3 hours ago, seed said:

I'd also argue they allow for milking masquerading as "new content" BS more than anything.

How? MTX gives the developer money, which is then used to operate the studio, which creates new content. Do you have any idea how game development works?

Arguably because, in many cases, the "new content" is lacklustre, insignificant or just plain recycled (GTA Online, I'm looking squarely in your direction).

2 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

How? MTX gives the developer money, which is then used to operate the studio, which creates new content. Do you have any idea how game development works?

If you're unironically asking me that (no I don't pretent to know everything about the process, and that's not even my point anyway), then you probably didn't understand what I said. Might try to read the post/that part multiple times.

1 hour ago, scalliano said:

Arguably because, in many cases, the "new content" is lacklustre, insignificant or just plain recycled

Yeah, pretty much. And also something that just keeps the coin flowing but not necessarily something that really is worth the investment. Or just desperate attempts to keep people playing because the game is simply dying.

3 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Do you have any idea how game development works?

ah, that's easy.

1. dump half-finished buggied shit onto customers, because customers paid to work as beta-testers.

2. make sure that the game is not complete without DLCs. hide some story arcs, or even endings in yet-to-be-produced DLCs.

3. customers are idiots, so don't give a shit about their complaints.

4. when people start bitching about MTX, say that it is Very Hard to develop games, devs are on a constant crunch, money is always short, so STFU and GTFO.

10 hours ago, seed said:

That's going a bit too far don't ya think? All MTX are the same cancer to me as well, regardless of their impact upon gameplay, although admittedly the purely cosmetic ones are not quite as bad as they don't affect that part of the game (obviously).

I'd also argue they allow for milking masquerading as "new content" BS more than anything. I'd rather have DLCs or expansions instead of those if we're talking about more content in the future. For me, MTX have a place only in F2P games so that the games can stay that way and they could prolly be seen as a way to fund or support future content indeed, but if the game had to be purchased (aka not free-to-play) there's no excuse to incorporate these things, even if you're not forced to spend a single penny on them.

Are you going to tell me now I'm angry because a random internet kid insulted me for not having enough lootboxes and AWP skins :p ?

No, I'm not going to do that because I think you made a fair point. I can't blame anyone for not wanting cosmetic micro-transactions in premium games, but there's no reason for anyone to raise their pitchforks when they show up in games such as League of Legends and CSGO. Perhaps I should have made that distinction. 

@scalliano I know there are lots of undisciplined youngins who play games like Fornite and will ridicule their peers for not having all the latest skins, but that's really just a symptom of human beings being shallow and materialistic, rather than a symptom of publishers implementing undesirable business practices. 

Edited by Ajora

22 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Like the devs see any of this money. They still get the same salary and the same stupid crunch time nightmare. While the publisher is laughing all the way to the banks.

On 7/27/2019 at 5:17 PM, ketmar said:

ah, that's easy.

1. dump half-finished buggied shit onto customers, because customers paid to work as beta-testers.

2. make sure that the game is not complete without DLCs. hide some story arcs, or even endings in yet-to-be-produced DLCs.

3. customers are idiots, so don't give a shit about their complaints.

4. when people start bitching about MTX, say that it is Very Hard to develop games, devs are on a constant crunch, money is always short, so STFU and GTFO.

Now here's an unpopular modern opinion on videogames...

Modern videogames suck because of... CAPITALISM. Because capitalism sucks. You know why no one ever complains about Dwarf Fortress? Because it was made out of love to the craft. Not because some rich cocksuckers wanted to make money off this IP they bought for X dollars.

On 7/21/2019 at 7:04 PM, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Here's a few of my unpopular modern gaming views I hold:

- DooM 4 is the worst DooM game out of the main 4 + Final DooM.

- The Wii is the best Generation 7 console

Kinda couldn't think of many... I rarely touch modern release games that aren't Indie :P

The Wii opinion isn't really unpopular. Some people say it's the best mainstream console of all time, which in my opinion is very true. Proof you don't need paid services, high specifications or DLC to make a very awesome console. Also, homebrew! Nothing like booting up my collection of Gamecube games via SD Card, and play them with a Logitech controller ON A WII. Or playing Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Commander Keen, any NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA, most N64 and some PSX games on it with a GC controller, Classic Controller, Wiimote (+ Nunchuck) or sometimes a PS3 controller. It's also very cheap and you can get it for like 5$ or up to 30$, but 10$ is a very common price for them.

I really don't agree with your opinion on Doom 2016. IMO Doom 3 is the worst Doom game because it's completely unlike the original Doom. It's not a bad game, but it's a bad Doom game, in that respect it is indeed the worst Doom game, because it's not like Doom.

Doom 2016 on the other hand, at least has the somewhat cartoony art style down, the fast gameplay down, larger levels etc. It's a better Doom game than Doom 3 because it sticks to what makes Doom, well, Doom.

It's kinda a case of Sonic Labyrinth. Why would Sonic, a series about going fast, suddenly have a game where you move veeeery slowly and you can't even spinjump IIRC. That's right, it's not like Sonic at all, it's not a good Sonic game, but it could be a good puzzle game.

- All Nintendo consoles outside of the NES and SNES have terrible game libraries and are only held by a few games (which is usually Zelda and Mario)

- Console/system wars are the exact same thing as children fighting over who has the best toy

- GTA 4 > GTA V

- The new Baldur's Gate will be a lot better if the combat is turn-based instead of that turn-based-with-pause bs. Since it's Larian Studios working on it, I'm hopefull

- Videogames are not art.

6 hours ago, WalterAB said:

- Videogames are not art.

This is not so much "unpopular" as just plain wrong.

3 minutes ago, WalterAB said:

How so?

Art is "the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power."  Video games absolutely qualify.

Now this is not to say that there aren't plenty of bad video games, or lazy video games, or dumb video games.  But there are plenty of bad, lazy or dumb films.  Or books.  And bad or lazy paintings, or pieces of music, or whatever.

5 minutes ago, Capellan said:

Art is "the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power."  Video games absolutely qualify.

Sure, there is a lot of art in videogames, but games themselves are not art. They're pieces of software meant to be entertaining, and not always (actually, almost never) for their beauty or emotional power.

And I don't say any of this in a negative way. I think it's totally fine for videogames to not be art.

I agree with Cappellan. Even if the games, much like other media is designed primarily on making money the actual development process is creative and can push imagination / create emotions just like your typical art.

1 hour ago, WalterAB said:

Sure, there is a lot of art in videogames, but games themselves are not art. They're pieces of software meant to be entertaining, and not always (actually, almost never) for their beauty or emotional power.

You are posting this sentiment on a website where one of the core activities is oohing over game screenshots.  :)

As for emotional power ... people simply don't write fanfic about something unless they are emotionally invested in it, and there is a shit ton of video game fanfic out there.  Or ask gamers how they feel about Tuchanka, or the Ranger sub-plot in Honest Hearts, or about the conclusion of Gone Home, or the opening of Firewatch.  

Or heck, look at this (partial) list of emotions compiled by the University of California and try to tell me that a game's never made you feel any of them.  Because I'm 100% confident you'd be lying if you did:

Aesthetic Appreciation

Amusement

Confusion

Excitement

Fear

Interest

Joy

Nostalgia

Sadness

Satisfaction

Triumph

Overall doom eternal is looking pretty disappointing to me. I don't like the dashing, pole swinging, wall climbing, or cluttered hud. The dashing takes away from the skill of movement because you can just tap a button to instantly make large leaps of movement in any direction. This makes doging projectiles, evading enemies, and making jumps significantly easier and ruins the fun in my opinion. The pole swinging is just an unnecessary addition to add more parkour mechanics in the game that is absolutely not needed. Same with the wall climbing. Doom 2016 had just enough movement mechanics with double jumping and ledge grabbing, any more will make the game feel less and less like doom and more like its just trying to follow the trend of other modern shooters. The hud in doom eternal just looks absolutely ridiculous and unfinished, I really hope they do something about before release because just looking at makes me want to throw up.

15 hours ago, Capellan said:

You are posting this sentiment on a website where one of the core activities is oohing over game screenshots.  :)

Quoting just a single line from your post so I don't clutter the thread for people uninterested into our conversation, I'm actually addressing your entire post.

Like I said, there certainly is art in videogames. But most games are designed around a core mechanic, and all the artistic aspects come afterwards.

Let's take our beloved classic doom as an example: It's designed around the idea of being an immersive shooter, where the player feel like they're inside the game. The mechanics as to how the game is fun to play are centered around combat, exploration and mild puzzle solving. These are pretty technical things. Creative, sure, but still technical. All the art comes afterwards. Sprites, textures, music, cover art, logo, writing.

That is not to say that there aren't any games that focus more on the artistic aspects. Certainly there are. I've played a few games that I felt were pretty artistic. That doesn't mean that videogames as whole is an art form.

Let me put it this way... You can certainly make art out of ice blocks, that doesn't mean that all ice blocks are inherently art.