Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nekr0s1s

Unpopular Modern Opinions

8 minutes ago, seed said:

Controllers are a fucking nightmare especially for FPSes, if there's no aim assist going on at all. All controllers have their purpose, but controllers simply aren't suitable for all types of games, just like mouse + kb isn't always the best.

I never understand these keyboard vs controller debates without any context. Even Super Meat Boy bashes keyboard in the game, there are quite a lot of good keyboard players for that game. Also, I'm really used to play Super Meat Boy in keyboard. This really depends on whether you're using something a lot. Generally, my input precision is better using keyboard because I played most of my games in keyboard. That's the reason.

Probably there are god tier controller Doomer out there we don't know. Before getting into speedrunning, I thought keyboard only is really bad for running Doom, but there are quite a few very strong Doomer using keyboard only (although this is not the original point of debate, but you get my idea).

6 hours ago, seed said:

Perhaps he was mean, but he has a valid point - selective breeding only opens the gates wide and large for all sorts of other genetic anomalies and mutations, that's the last thing you want to do with a supposed "forced evolution".

Also, never forget that if you take away from humans what they value most - their freedom (of choice in this case) - they will rise, without a single shadow of doubt. It's never going to work.

Valid points, well delivered.  I concede that you are obviously more versed in the topic so I thank you for the enlightenment and admire your knowledge.

But as new mutations arrive, in my pipedream, just don't allow those with new ailments to pass their genes on.  I'm no scientist, so this is just me thinking.  I also acknowledge that since I'm not a scientist,  nor am I even deeply studying this topic, that I am, by many peoples' standards, not even allowed to contemplate this kind of stuff.

And therefore, I gave the thread an unpopular opinion; lack of popularity verified by the response it got.

Edited by Rare Hatchiama

3 hours ago, Rare Hatchiama said:

Valid points, well delivered.  I concede that you are obviously more versed in the topic so I thank you for the enlightenment and admire your knowledge.

But as new mutations arrive, in my pipedream, just don't allow those with new ailments to pass their genes on.  I'm no scientist, so this is just me thinking.  I also acknowledge that since I'm not a scientist,  nor am I even deeply studying this topic, that I am, by many peoples' standards, not even allowed to contemplate this kind of stuff.

And therefore, I gave the thread an unpopular opinion; lack of popularity verified by the response it got.

You might find this article interesting, it should address some of the questions you're contemplating (or give you more questions to think about!). Controlled breeding or eugenics is not just troubling in terms of biology and ethics, it also poses a hypothetical serious risk to everyday responsibility. To put it simply, this kind of practice essentially overrides the practice of 'leaving it to chance' which will inevitably apply to the normal population, not just people with mutated genes. It becomes an undesirable moral obligation to have enhancements and achieve perfection, just to 'keep up with the Joneses'. The only (likely) solution to the issue of passing on 'undesirable' genes is that the onus is placed on the people who may want to have children and have faith that they will make the right informed decision. It's not your or anyone's right to override their decision making. It's their choice to weigh up the risks of having a child and what sort of genetic mutation they might have. I am deaf myself but I know the chances of having a deaf child is actually slim. But if there was a big chance, I'd still go ahead with it because it isn't that bad being deaf and I'd be well equipped to raise them. But if there was a, say, 95% chance of my future child having a serious illness that involves excessive chronic pain and premature death, I would definitely reconsider having a child.

7 hours ago, seed said:

All controllers have their purpose, but controllers simply aren't suitable for all types of games, just like mouse + kb isn't always the best.

fair enough. what is the best is dependent on many factors. if i was truly trying to be competitive in an rts or a fps where everyone else was playing on a keyboard and mouse i would probably do the same. i wont deny the advantage of the mouse.

thats really what the debate is anyway, its mouse vs analog stick. and yea, the mouse is quicker and more precise. all a keyboard offers is 100+ buttons, which is ridiculous 99% of the time. 

usually i dont need the speed of the mouse or the buttons of the keyboard so the pros outweigh the cons. 

the eugenics thing reminds me of the custom mutated mosquitos which were released in south america to combat disease. sounded like a great idea until it turned out to be just as much, if not more of a problem. 

point is, we do not have the knowledge to play god successfully, and trying to figure it out could very well kill us. maybe this makes me a luddite but id posit  theres nothing wrong with a little humility. 

They only seem good  if you have the apathy of a serial killer.  Which is a really bad trait so time to tell eugenics the bad news! 

I said this when social media became a thing.(2004 ...?) It might not be an unpopular opinion now, but I'll say it nonetheless.

- Social media is a more shittier carbon copy version of any forums on the internet, literally the same functionality.

- The witcher series is overrated.

- Crash Bash is a better Mario Party.

- C&C Tiberian Sun > Starcraft Brood War.

- The entire Final Fantasy series is boring. I'd rather play Heroes of Might & Magic.

41 minutes ago, Octillion said:

The witcher series is overrated.

I don't know if this opinion can be considered as an unpopular opinion of this point, since Witcher 3 was praised for its (excellent?) story writing and its environment, and a lot of people agreed that the combat system of the game is not good.

7 hours ago, Octillion said:

- C&C Tiberian Sun > Starcraft Brood War.

YES. The Brotherhood is pleased to hear this.

On 10/16/2019 at 9:15 PM, HUNdebLeonidasX said:

Far cry 2 is boooooriiiing

Even if it had more details than the rest of the series

Honestly I enjoyed FC2's difficulty much more than FC3, I even love the jungle setting more than the more generic looking islands.

9 hours ago, Octillion said:

- The witcher series is overrated.

I assume you are talking about the games? I haven't played them (not my type of game), but I've read all the books and found them good.

9 hours ago, Octillion said:

- The entire Final Fantasy series is boring. I'd rather play Heroes of Might & Magic.

Well, these are very different types of game, no?

38 minutes ago, dr_st said:

I assume you are talking about the games? I haven't played them (not my type of game), but I've read all the books and found them good.

Yes, I meant the games.

38 minutes ago, dr_st said:

Well, these are very different types of game, no?

I should've elaborated a bit. Both of them are turn-based and have rpg elements, I meant in that regard. (I know, HoMM falls into turn-based strategy more than turn-based rpg. I just always thought they were very similar.)

On 10/17/2019 at 2:04 AM, Rare Hatchiama said:

You're still don't fully understand it. Even if you have a population with perfect genes, and make them procreate by eugenics, there will STILL be harmful mutations.

Eugenics is pointless because there is no method beyond genetic engineering that ensures perfect offspring. Every time a child is conceived DNA is given a chance to mutate regardless of what genes the parents have because it's fucking DNA man, shit just mutates randomly if given the chance.

Every time a child is born, that's a new diceroll on introducing new diseases and defects into the genepool. But that's okay, because with each generation walking into the grave, that's old diseases and defects going extinct.