Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Doom: Annihilation update

1 hour ago, geo said:

Semper Fi mother fucker.

He could have been a genuinely good Doomguy under the right circumstances.

I think the only issue I have with the movie is that the characters look less like space marines, and more like swat team members. Does it represent what Doom's actually about? No, but I'm ok with that. It seems like a fun crappy movie to sit down and watch with the boys.

8 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

Anyone can be a great actor with the right director that refuses to take anything but perfection and has the budget to allow it.

9 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

He's got eyebrows for the job for sure.

image.png.ac45da77d62b1180b4af606a72b351de.pngimage.png.a79f4efb054bdacc9fe141353fb391a9.png

Edited by Silliest Putty

I wrote about my thoughts on the new movie in the OG thread amidst all the hot takes. I'm really not picky when it comes to Doom stuff.

When I entered the franchise, it was from the initial perspective of Chex Quest, and Doom 3 was already out.

To me, Doom was this abstract shooter thing with the same mechanics as Chex Quest, so the mechanics weren't special to me. What resonated with the story, and the story is that of a weird anomaly ushering in mysterious creatures from what would turn out to be hell. That's a very interesting dichotomy to me (science and hell-fantasy), and it's explored a lot in Doom 3, which never had to "live up" to Doom in my eyes, since it was already a Doom game (read: released/part of the series) when I began engaging with the franchise. It was just part of the entire Doom package.

My image of the story of Doom is very much slowburn science fiction drama that feeds into surreal action horror as it comes to a close. Think Aliens crossed with Evil Dead. I absolutely loved the Doom movie, unironically, and I'm very excited for this rendition of the Doom story. Would I have loved a balls to the wall Hardcore Henry style hedonistic blood fest? I mean, probably, but that's not Doom. That's never been Doom. Thats a vague pastiche of the memory of "90s shooters" in its least defined terms. That's Duke Nukem before its doom. It's Brutal Doom.

Doom 2016's biggest mistake was playing to that image and memory before playing to the actual games, and it terrifies me how much the Doom community is just willing to forget OG Doom as a landmark immersive horror title with diminished lighting and moody, realistic soundscapes, because we're all too busy salivating over the righteous fist of a fictional player insert marine and his double-barrel shotgun.

Please dont misconstrue that to mean I dislike Doom '16. I love Doom '16, and it is, to me, a DOOM GAME. There is no doubt that it's a Doom game. Like I said, I'm not picky when it comes to Doom stuff, and I'll honestly accept just about anything. I loved every single one of the games, I adore the og film, I read and love each of the novels (including the doom 3 books).

My willingness to accept so much varied Doom media as truly Doom-like is only so strong BECAUSE the Doom brand is so wide and so malleable in the first place. My issue is in people talking about Doom as if it's only one thing: crazy high octane action with little on its mind and a host of big guns and demons. Perhaps the art can be nice, sure it can be aesthetically pleasing, but lets not try too hard here. It's just Doom.

i cant agree with that at all.

something that specific can never be Doom.

That is the Doom comic.

On 7/31/2019 at 11:46 PM, Maximum Matt said:

Wasn't he shotgun zombie guy in the movie?

You are correct.  He was Sarg.

im not going to lie, i honestly forgot about this movie at all, though this thread was about an old map pack or a WIP awesome mod when i saw the name Doom: Annihilation.

the only thing i remember about this movie were the bad "die die die!" part and the protagonist being smaller than the BFG. to be honest i kinda enjoyed doom 2005 movie  i obviously disliked the virus/infection ala resident idea, but i wasnt expecting the movie being so close to the game lore anyway, most of the games movie (if not at all) dont follow so close the plot or lore of the game anyways so i dont have high hopes for any movie game.

i will give it a go but not paying for it, what i think its going to happen is im going to watch the movie like for 5 minutes then lose interest on it and just close the video (whenever i find it online..) and then find a review video, i mean i didnt even remember there still incoming a new doom movie so that i guess tell much about it.

The makers of the new movie have shit all over and given the finger to the fanbase and community aside from making an embarrassing bastardized pile of hollywood straight to DVD dribble.  So no way will I give them a cent even out of morbid curiosity to laugh at it.   Now what's entertaining are some reaction videos such as the Doomguy reacting or Hitler reacting.

I still can't work out why this film even exists. It has to be a cash grab as the new game is coming out right?

"Movie director: Calls gamers the "worst group of people" and says he doesn't want our money. Movie actress: Says "who needs a doomguy" and gives the fanbase the middle finger. Official DOOM Twitter page: Distances itself from the movie. Man I can't wait for this movie to flop." - Some guy from the comment section of the trailer.

This quote perfectly sums up my thoughts on this movie perfectly. Not to mention the only thing from the doom series that shows in these films is the BFG. You know, not the iconic character design of the Doomguy's armor. Not any of the demons resemble their demonic selves. None of the amazing and memorable weapons besides the BFG shows up. The set pieces don't look like any of the settings from any of the Doom games besides maybe Doom 3. The only thing in common with these movies and the Doom games is the name and the BFG. The day one of these corporate hacks gets money out of me for giving the franchise I love a bad name is the day I sell my soul. I honestly wish that they would just give the Doom rights to a director and writer that actually care, but that won't happen as long as they receive enough money to warrant another soulless movie. I beg y'all to not see this movie so that we can one day get a Doom movie worthy of our money. Hopefully. Have a good day.

My theory is that they just watched Mortal Kombat Annhilation, smoked some crack, and decided lets do that with Doom!

And some dumbass at Barfthesda saw dollar signs and granted the license to them shortly before snorting a line.

On 8/1/2019 at 4:32 AM, Silliest Putty said:

He's got eyebrows for the job for sure.

image.png.ac45da77d62b1180b4af606a72b351de.pngimage.png.a79f4efb054bdacc9fe141353fb391a9.png

yeah, he really just lacks the hair

37 minutes ago, Gokuma said:

My theory is that they just watched Mortal Kombat Annhilation, smoked some crack, and decided lets do that with Doom!

And some dumbass at Barfthesda saw dollar signs and granted the license to them shortly before snorting a line.

here's the thing, universal had the rights to make doom movies since the 2005 movie. I'm guessing id software just forgot about it and when universal realised how popular the new doom games are getting they decided to just make another movie with the same name to capitalize on it. ID even mentioned that the movie has nothing to do with the new games, they established a neat lore for the game and I'm pretty sure the movie producers have no clue about any of it. I wouldn't be surprised if id took away the license from universal after this movie. I think there could be a pretty great doom movie based on the new games but this movie just screams cash grab to me.

9 minutes ago, ([zen3001]) said:

yeah, he really just lacks the hair

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Doomguy bald in Doom 2016?

1 minute ago, TheDoomDude said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Doomguy bald in Doom 2016?

I don't remember any hair or head reveal of the new doomslayer, he's been in that helmet the whole time.

1 minute ago, ([zen3001]) said:

here's the thing, universal had the rights to make doom movies since the 2005 movie. I'm guessing id software just forgot about it and when universal realised how popular the new doom games are getting they decided to just make another movie with the same to capitalize on it. ID even mentioned that the movie has nothing to do with the new games, they established a neat lore for the game and I'm pretty sure the movie producers have no clue about any of it. I wouldn't be surprised if id took away the license from universal after this movie. I think there could be a pretty great doom movie based on the new games but this movie just screams cash grab to me.

This is my theory as well, as you don't loose the rights to a property unless they are striped away or you don't do something with them after 10-15 years. Which is probably why they made a movie, so they wouldn't loose the rights. 

1 minute ago, ([zen3001]) said:

I don't remember any hair or head reveal of the new doomslayer, he's been in that helmet the whole time.

tumblr_oj721hJBcS1szcxzqo1_500.jpg.7fe26026cd0631ef1f5563a6a1f54239.jpg

1 hour ago, TheDoomDude said:

Movie director: Calls gamers the "worst group of people" and says he doesn't want our money.

can you blame him? 

Just now, EtherBot said:

can you blame him? 

I'll answer your question with another question. If a video game movie isn't for gamers, then who is the target audience thats supposed to bring in the big bucks.

5 minutes ago, Gez said:

Yes, it's a low-budget direct-to-video. It's not going to be technically impressive.

I'm not asking it to be, the CGI and effects don't have to be great, but I do want them to resemble something from Doom, and not this: doomannihilationexclusive-1.jpg.4029b0d0be2175fd630b4d4495977e9c.jpg

This looks like a goblin from Dungeons and Dragons not a demon from Hell.

9 minutes ago, Gez said:

The Doom storyline is super-cheesy and dumb, that's quite deliberate, so a Doom movie isn't going to have much artistic merit for its story.

It is, I won't deny that, but that still doesn't mean you can't do something new and creative with the story

11 minutes ago, Gez said:

Doom is a video game, not a movie. A movie is a completely different medium, a spectator isn't a player. So no, a Doom movie cannot just be the playback of a UV-max demo.

I don't think anyone is asking for someone to playback footage of E1M1 in the third person and call it a movie.

13 minutes ago, Gez said:

People who love watching dumb action flicks. People who love the cheese.

Indeed, but not the people who want a good Doom movie.

2 hours ago, TheDoomDude said:

If a video game movie isn't for gamers, then who is the target audience thats supposed to bring in the big bucks.

well it WAS for the specific gamers to react to this, but then it turned out you guys are the reason we cant have nice things so, if we EVER get another Doom multimedia anything that isn't a video game, I guess it would be for non-fan people who have heard of the name Doom, and who frequent online streaming services.

Sorry if you wanted something different :)

it is so immeasurably disappointing to see this director get harassed and belittled at every fucking turn, every time he even acknowledges this movie he's working on exists. And for what? For being a low budget film director, in a franchise you'd prefer got higher budget films after ONE failed movie like a decade ago?

hhHHHHHHHHHHH

Edited by EtherBot

2 hours ago, TheDoomDude said:

This looks like a goblin from Dungeons and Dragons not a demon from Hell. 

Of course it doesn't look like a Demon, it's a Former Human! Demons don't wear lab coats!

Also,

this thread got really stupid and awful to look at