Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Doom: Annihilation update

2 hours ago, TheDoomDude said:

Indeed, but not the people who want a good Doom movie.

These people should realize that a Doom movie is never going to be a good movie.

Also, the Doom novels were not good novels, and the Doom comic was not a good comic.

2 hours ago, EtherBot said:

it is so immeasurably disappointing to see this director get harassed and belittled at every fucking turn, every time he even acknowledges this movie he's working on exists. And for what? For being a low budget film director, in a franchise you'd prefer got higher budget films after ONE failed movie like a decade ago?

YOU'RE A LITTLE DIRECTOR!  YOU MUST HAVE LITTLE GUTS!!

Anyway I think the closest we'll get to a good DooM movie is Ghosts from Mars.   The 2005 Doom is alright except for the whole virus/chromosome thing and not having anything larger than a pinky.

2 hours ago, EtherBot said:

well it WAS for the specific gamers to react to this, but then it turned out you guys are the reason we cant have nice things so, if we EVER get another Doom multimedia anything that isn't a video game, I guess it would be for non-fan people who have heard of the name Doom, and who frequent online streaming services.

Sorry if you wanted something different :)

it is so immeasurably disappointing to see this director get harassed and belittled at every fucking turn, every time he even acknowledges this movie he's working on exists. And for what? For being a low budget film director, in a franchise you'd prefer got higher budget films after ONE failed movie like a decade ago?

hhHHHHHHHHHHH

Oh nooo, how horrible, a hollywood director facing criticism for their work. He must be crying himself to sleep on his pillow stuffed with money. Damn these entitled gamers, having opinions and standards. 

6 hours ago, Gokuma said:

My theory is that they just watched Mortal Kombat Annhilation, smoked some crack, and decided lets do that with Doom!

And some dumbass at Barfthesda saw dollar signs and granted the license to them shortly before snorting a line.

I can't imagine anyone sees dollar signs with straight to video. Oh I can only hope this is the Doom equivalent of Annihilation.

Hey, people see dollar signs in a stolen pair of used unwashed pants if it can mean their next hit.

13 hours ago, TheDoomDude said:

doomannihilationexclusive-1.jpg.4029b0d0be2175fd630b4d4495977e9c.jpg

This looks like a goblin from Dungeons and Dragons not a demon from Hell.

It is, I won't deny that, but that still doesn't mean you can't do something new and creative with the story

I would make the exact opposite point, this looks more like it came out of a sci fi horror movie like alien.

You could make excuses for the 2005 movie for just being based on doom 3, which just happens to be be only doom game I'm not interested in.

From the trailers of the new doom movie it seems they're really focusing more on action but the demons look A LOT more like aliens than demon, I'm still convinced that this movie is nothing but a cash grab. Just read my previous post where I explain why.

You can bet I'll be getting it on Blu-Ray. I'm trying to organize a watch party as well, and plan to do a YouTube review. Someone's gotta support it...

^ That actually sounds fun.

1 hour ago, Pegg said:

People discuss this movie more than they'll ever watch it.

I'm almost willing to bet more than half the people who shit on the movie (and especially the director) won't even bother watching it. It must be cool to criticize something you've never experienced in full.

12 hours ago, whirledtsar said:

Oh nooo, how horrible, a hollywood director facing criticism for their work. He must be crying himself to sleep on his pillow stuffed with money. Damn these entitled gamers, having opinions and standards. 

Yeah, damn those gamers who have opinions and standards for shitting on the director, the cast, and sending him death threats.

I am also sure this movie will sell millions.

15 hours ago, whirledtsar said:

What

EXACTLY

is he being criticized for?

I'm not against criticism, and I never said I was. 

Have I said you can't dislike the way the SWAT armor looks? Have I said you're not allowed to dislike the look we've gotten at the sets? Have I said it's immoral to criticize this film, especially as a Doom film?

The only thing this director is being "criticized" for, is being a low budget director, which is not a negative quality. And the process by which people are "criticizing" him includes harassment, name-calling, death threats.... This is criticism? It looks like bullying to me. Grow some balls and a touch of empathy, would you. You people are making this community look like its made of a bunch of morons. 

There's a pretty hard line between legitimate artistic criticism and sycophantic gate-keeping, the latter of which is what we're seeing with some of the *ahem* more colorful community members. And here's something very few people have acknowledged: Trailers are frequently misleading, and especially in the case of teasers, you're thrown a plethora of out-of-context images. Here we have not only that, but the teaser was also supplemented with some lousily worded and rendered text that obviously won't be in the final product. People are judging a trailer that's edited extremely poorly, and not to an actual preview of the product.

Considering the poor quality of trailer and what I remember of garbage that they've written on social media I wouldn't blame the so called "gamers" on preemptively assuming that the quality of end product is going to be sub-par.

Spoiler
4 hours ago, seed said:

Yeah, damn those gamers who have opinions and standards for shitting on the director, the cast, and sending him death threats

I would gladly read what can be described as "List of requirements and recommendations for shitting on %thing% on the Internet" for a laugh if such thing exists.

I would be less embarrassed by the criticisms if they were coming from people who actually have experience in video production. My background isn't extensive or anywhere near "Hollywood" level, but I did a short documentary series for a friend's film, which had lots of practical in-camera effects, a monster costume, lights, etc. It took hours and hours to shoot a minute or two of footage. I played an extra in the opening shot of the film and despite being about 15 seconds, it took an hour at least just to set up that single shot. This stuff is insanely time-consuming and difficult even on a shoestring budget.

17 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

I would be less embarrassed by the criticisms if they were coming from people who actually have experience in video production. My background isn't extensive or anywhere near "Hollywood" level, but I did a short documentary series for a friend's film, which had lots of practical in-camera effects, a monster costume, lights, etc. It took hours and hours to shoot a minute or two of footage. I played an extra in the opening shot of the film and despite being about 15 seconds, it took an hour at least just to set up that single shot. This stuff is insanely time-consuming and difficult even on a shoestring budget.

But you know, simply knowing about what the process of creation involved is not everything. Besides, people will criticize the end product at the end of the day, they don't care about what the whole process entails.

17 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

I would be less embarrassed by the criticisms if they were coming from people who actually have experience in video production.

This almost reminds me of the "be X in order to criticize Y" argument, although probably not intentional.

I ordered a copy!  I can't wait for the schlock overload!!  Me and my friends are going to put it up on the big screen drink beers and laugh like it's a comedy.

I'm going to watch it with cautious pessimism while internally yearning it to be good.

SWAT vs Goblin Zombies are lame but the director may be deliberately hiding the best parts, I probably would if it's a direct to video film with a peculiar fanbase.

Under promise, over deliver I always say.

3 hours ago, seed said:

This almost reminds me of the "be X in order to criticize Y" argument, although probably not intentional.

It's not so much that criticism should be handled a particular way so much as, criticism is the most effective when it's directed at the art itself, rather than letting biases and imagined narratives dictate your response.

On 8/3/2019 at 7:02 PM, Gez said:

These people should realize that a Doom movie is never going to be a good movie.

Also, the Doom novels were not good novels, and the Doom comic was not a good comic.

It's totally possible to make a good Doom movie. I mean, a major influence of the series, especially the original game, was Aliens and that could be the basis of a good Doom movie.

22 hours ago, StainlessSteel said:

I ordered a copy!  I can't wait for the schlock overload!!  Me and my friends are going to put it up on the big screen drink beers and laugh like it's a comedy.

I’ve ordered one too out of curiosity and for shits and giggles. 

On 7/18/2019 at 10:32 PM, Maximum Matt said:

Donnie Darko Doom. Someone get on it.

will do buddy, will do (maybe idk)

8 hours ago, LadyVader1138 said:

It's totally possible to make a good Doom movie. I mean, a major influence of the series, especially the original game, was Aliens and that could be the basis of a good Doom movie.

Only if the people doing it (a) had plenty of money and (b) were good at making movies.  Zombies: The Beginning is literally Aliens-but-with-zombies, frequently scene for scene, and it's utter shit because it's cheap as heck and made by a hack.

The 2005 Doom movie was trying to be Aliens, but didn't have a competent director or writer. Making the Aliens formula work is more about immersion, memorable monster(s) and likable characters more than just having a lot of money to throw at it. That's why Doom didn't work, primarily, because neither the characters, environments or monsters were above status-quo.

On 8/5/2019 at 5:55 AM, StainlessSteel said:

That sounds like a great way to enjoy it. No doubt I’ll be watching this thing out of curiosity, might as well make a thing of it!

On 8/4/2019 at 4:18 AM, Gokuma said:

The makers of the new movie have shit all over and given the finger to the fanbase and community aside from making an embarrassing bastardized pile of hollywood straight to DVD dribble.  So no way will I give them a cent even out of morbid curiosity to laugh at it.

On 8/4/2019 at 4:38 AM, Gokuma said:

My theory is that they just watched Mortal Kombat Annhilation, smoked some crack, and decided lets do that with Doom!

And some dumbass at Barfthesda saw dollar signs and granted the license to them shortly before snorting a line.

On 8/4/2019 at 10:49 AM, Gokuma said:

YOU'RE A LITTLE DIRECTOR!  YOU MUST HAVE LITTLE GUTS!!

On 8/4/2019 at 11:04 AM, Gokuma said:

Hey, people see dollar signs in a stolen pair of used unwashed pants if it can mean their next hit.

ROFL, all 4 of these posts had me dying!

I like low-budget trash. Anyone here ever seen Death Machine? That movie was all kinds of awesomely awful, yet the director went on to do the original Blade. 

My order is in. I'm giving the movie a chance, primarily because the teaser we've got is so wonderfully dumb I couldn't possibly pass it up. 

On 8/3/2019 at 9:45 PM, Man of Doom said:

I can’t believe I have to go to bat for what’s essentially a low-budget B-movie, but here we go. 

The director has already had to clarify that:

-Demons WILL actually be demons from hell and not genetically engineered mutants

-There WILL be a proper DoomGUY, and not just a female Doomgal as the lead

-Research was done on the games (including classic Doom, Doom 3, and Doom 2016) to make it as faithful as possible

-The story is more or less an adaptation of Knee-Deep in the Dead

-The director is himself a fan of the games

Additionally, we’ve more or less seen that:

-The setpieces are heavily inspired by classic Doom

-There’s already confirmed to be lots of gore involved

-The cast and crew involved were having a hell of a time making this movie 

-The “who needs Doomguy” tweet was clearly meant as a tongue-in-cheek joke that way too many idiots took out of context

-The vitriol had gotten so bad that at one point people actually started engaging in targeted harassment of the cast and crew (especially the lead actress and director)

Look, I get that Universal isn’t giving Doom the Avengers treatment with a $200M budget and big name actors. 

I mean, that last teaser wasn’t particularly impressive at all. But if there’s one positive thing to take away from all this, it’s that at the very least, they actually tried to stick to the game’s story for once. 

If we’re going to let this movie suck, let it suck on its own merits and not because some outrage grifter told us to. 

God, I miss Post Hell. 

Until we dont see the movie, those are just words.

I'm gonna laugh so hard if it ends up actually being decent (maybe even good) and all we got was just a bad trailer that made people start doubting. Do I actually believe that will happen... no. But it would be funny.