Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Doom: Annihilation update

27 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

Because the trailer is representative of the quality of the final product.

That is simply not true. Trailers are not made by the filmmakers, typically. Whoever puts it together may not even have access to the final cut. They might get the tone wrong or otherwise misrepresent it.

1 hour ago, DoomSpud said:

The fact it's 3 letters off the name of the female lead of another classic 90's FPS to me is just ridiculous. Like, how fucking lazy can you be?

I demand you show me a similar post of yours where you rage that developers of Perfect Dark are equally lazy and unimaginative for blatantly refering to Joanne d'Arc.

17 minutes ago, Đeⓧiaz said:

My friend said that Doom 2016 is shit only judging by it's trailer. Well yeah, it's great idea to judge the whole movie only by a trailer. Uh, no. That's wrong. Why? Because you can only judge by trailer "I want/I won't watch the whole movie", BUT you CAN'T really judge the whole product. Feel the difference of understanding of "What can I say about this by watching the trailer"

That's different, the player deliberately played the game slowly. 

The new trailer is better than the old one though.

2 hours ago, DoomSpud said:

Or it could do what the first movie did and make me ashamed to mention to anyone I was a Doom fanatic because I'd cop questions like "that's the shit you play is it?" or "saw that movie they made about that game you never shut up about... it was fucking retarded".

Cause we all had such pride in spending our free time talking on forums about a 26 year old violent video game before that... :P

Why care about what other people think of your interests? There are dudes out there in their 30s who dedicate most of their free time to My Little Pony. Power to 'em. Have fun. I'm not gonna think any less or more of them based on a movie and if I did, who gives a shit? :P

Just for an easy comparison here and for shits and giggles , heres both trailers side by side DOOM 2005 and Annhilation.

if we were to go merely off the trailers , I'd want to watch Annihilation hands down. 

With all those dislikes, the new trailer is actually better than I expected.  The special effects are cheap, sure, but the outdoor shots of Mars look cool, as does the group of imps.  The helmet HUD with the map display was cute.

It's 2019, not the 90s (and thank god for that) girls want in on the fun too, as they should, get with the times. You can easily change the gender of main characters while still staying true to the source material. Marvel does it all the time effortlessly. All in all it's about the writing and production. This looks like a fun grindhouse movie.

Also there's more to life than being "right". Try being wrong once in a while, it's refreshing.

Just now, RightField said:

It's 2019, not the 90s (and thank god for that) girls want in on the fun too, as they should, get with the times. You can easily change the gender of main characters while still staying true to the source material. Marvel does it all the time effortlessly. All in all it's about the writing and production. This looks like a fun grindhouse movie.

Also there's more to life than being "right". Try being wrong once in a while, it's refreshing.

Plus we're not even sure how the characters balance out in the film anyways. We're given an entire squadron of marines at the beginning, we're likely to see command shifting as casualties kick in. It's clear she's one of the main characters, but the whole "they replaced Doomguy with a girl" narrative was pretty much made up as a hyperreaction by the type of people you'd expect to overreact to that kind of thing as soon as she was referred to as a lead on the film.

It's all a bunch of bullshit from my POV.

1 hour ago, Sgt Nate V said:

Huh, I remember the director saying it would be rated R back in 2018, and here's a gory set photo:

image.png.f68d302c345ee4ebc62f81f804dba65d.png

good enough for me, really so far the only disapointing thing is a lack of doomguy. Call it a bad doom movie for having no resemblance to the actual doom lore of both the original game and the new ones, id software doesn't even want it to be a reality but that's exactly what I allways thought a doom movie should look like. Just a more over the top predator movie on mars

5 minutes ago, ([zen3001]) said:

good enough for me, really so far the only disapointing thing is a lack of doomguy. Call it a bad doom movie for having no resemblance to the actual doom lore of both the original game and the new ones, id software doesn't even want it to be a reality but that's exactly what I allways thought a doom movie should look like. Just a more over the top predator movie on mars

I mean, no resemblence to Doom lore if you discount:

• The fact it's based on the Doom instruction manual's story section (confirmed by Tony). Before the Doomguy entered the fray, he was left on the dropship as his squadron went in to investigate. We're being shown an interpretation of what happened in the run-up to Knee-Deep in the Dead. (From this POV it actually makes more sense if Doomguy is *not* in the film)
  • Takes place on Phobos, which is even decked out to directly resemble the intermission screen.
  • The fact it involves scientists naively researching some kind of teleportation/interdimensional travel device that opens a portal to Hell (THE key plot point of Doom).
  • It pulls in some plot points from Doom 3 (lead scientist is named Dr. Betruger; an ancient civilization may be involved).

16 minutes ago, RightField said:

Doomguy at this point is such an iconic character tho, I don't mind having a female lead but I would love to see a depiction of doomguy's overall character in a movie

1 hour ago, DooM_RO said:

Because the trailer is representative of the quality of the final product.

Absolutely not.

I have seen plenty of terrible trailers which looked like garbage, or did not grab my attention in any way. When I gave the movies a try, I was usually pleasantly surprised that I did it.

It's like saying a 30min. demo is representative of the campaign of a full, 8-9h long game.

1 minute ago, seed said:

I have seen plenty of terrible trailers which looked like garbage, or did not grab my attention in any way. When I gave the movies a try, I was usually pleasantly surprised that I did it.

Couldn't agree more with this. It's especially fun going back and watching trailers for older films, cause most of the time it's almost comical how different they feel compared to the actual film. Like, the 1997 trailer for Starship Troopers is hilarious to watch now, but I love that movie!

26 minutes ago, ([zen3001]) said:

Doomguy at this point is such an iconic character tho, I don't mind having a female lead but I would love to see a depiction of doomguy's overall character in a movie

I dunno, man. Does Doomguy ever even say anything? He doesn’t even have a name. Until the 2016 game he’s pretty much just a POV, and 2016 only beefs him up as a commentary on the fact that he exists as a series of actions without personality or story. A force of nature.

29 minutes ago, FreakZoneGames said:

I dunno, man. Does Doomguy ever even say anything? He doesn’t even have a name. Until the 2016 game he’s pretty much just a POV, and 2016 only beefs him up as a commentary on the fact that he exists as a series of actions without personality or story. A force of nature.

his personality comes from all the memes

im so immeasurably disappointed by the doom twitters public statements distancing themselves from the movie, they're acting like they're disowning a failure son. They've had opportunities to clarify literally any other direction, and they haven't. It just bums me out because there are no bigger fans of doom than the people making that movie, you can tell just by glancing at it. I've watched the og movie dozens of times, in detail  and I can't even tell whether the filmmakers liked Doom, or even played it. What a fucking terrible PR move. vindicating the most entitled people in your entire demographic and encouraging more harassment of the director, intentionally or not. By officially distancing themselves, they've canonized the new film being bad, thats almost gamer lore now. And it hasn't even been released.

Can you imagine being the director?

28 minutes ago, kristus said:

Doomguy is not an iconic character, he's hardly even a character. He's an avatar. Doomguy's armor is iconic. But there can be anyone behind that visor.

THIS.

I am honestly a bit baffled by any claim that Doomguy/ Doom Slayer is "iconic". What exactly is iconic about him? The dramatic, emotional way he emotes "URNF!" when he tries to dry hump a wall, hoping it'll open up for him? Or the fact that he does what every action hero does (pick up guns and kick ass) ?

This idea that a nameless, silent character whose face has only been shown a handful of times over a 25 year period, who the creators said is just placeholder for you, is somehow so important that the movie can't work without his immediate, constant presence, is beyond silly. The setting is the star. Characters are very secondary in Doom, even the player. As long as there are likable space marines with guns, there's no need to push for an exact representation of Doomguy.

6 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

This idea that a nameless, silent character whose face has only been shown a handful of times over a 25 year period, who the creators said is just placeholder for you, is somehow so important that the movie can't work without his immediate, constant presence, is beyond silly. The setting is the star. Characters are very secondary in Doom, even the player. As long as there are likable space marines with guns, there's no need to push for an exact representation of Doomguy.

You have a solid argument but the problem (for me at least) is that status bar face is so ingrained in my mind that I can't imagine the Doomguy being anything else than a guy resembling that picture, especially that remade picture I posted a while ago. The same would be for Gordon Freeman or Ripley in Aliens. The Rock could have been a great Doomguy but they blew it. 

Maybe I made the wrong impression but I really have no problem against female protagonists. I like the new Ion Fury character a lot (at least her design) and I played a femshep in Mass Effect in half of my playthroughs but this actress doesn't really look the part. If you're going to fight demons you'd better hit the gym and be in shape and athletic. How else are you going to fight 10 revenants and 50 chaingunners at once? She really doesn't project that strong female archetype well. Doom ain't no romcom.

Have you seen Nina Bergman (one of the lead actresses)? I go to the gym and she's more buff than me. Now, you're probably referring to Amy Manson, who plays Lt. Dark, and yeah, she's slender...but she doesn't look weak.

7 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Have you seen Nina Bergman (one of the lead actresses)? I go to the gym and she's more buff than me. Now, you're probably referring to Amy Manson, who plays Lt. Dark, and yeah, she's slender...but she doesn't look weak.

Yeah, was referring to Lt. Dark. Nina's fine. She's got that huge jawline too which helps. I saw her gym pics and she could fit the role.

19 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

You have a solid argument but the problem (for me at least) is that status bar face is so ingrained in my mind that I can't imagine the Doomguy being anything else than a guy resembling that picture, especially that remade picture I posted a while ago. The same would be for Gordon Freeman or Ripley in Aliens. The Rock could have been a great Doomguy but they blew it. 

Weird how he looked totally different in Doom 3 then huh? 😜

(Also Karl Urban looks way more like that HUD face than Dwayne Johnson. Jussayin’)

2 minutes ago, FreakZoneGames said:

Weird how he looked totally different in Doom 3 then huh? 😜

(Also Karl Urban looks way more like that HUD face than Dwayne Johnson. Jussayin’)

I thought both the D3 guy and ROEguy looked quite similar to the original Doomguy.