Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Doom: Annihilation update

4 minutes ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

In context, that "who needs Doomguy" line was just a lighthearted joke.  It wasn't meant to be taken as "LOL Doomguy sucks because he is male".

Fair enough I suppose.

Movie still doesn't look too promising.

Only time will tell I guess.

I'll never understand the idea that halo copied the doom marine's design. I always thought Master Chief had more of a "biker helmet" thing going on than anything, and his armor is unrecognizable outside of that. They're both green, I'll grant that

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

He also isn’t a fan of destruction, at least when he’s still a normal human during Doom2. He literally says to himself that rebuilding Earth is going to be a lot more enjoyable than destroying it was.

In a better universe, Doom 3 was a Sim City-style game where you rebuild Earth cities after the apocalypse.

2 hours ago, aSeriesOfNumbers said:

All I want from a Doom movie is:

1.Doomguy killing tons and tons of Demons with a Chainsaw.

2.A lot of blood and gore.

3.Kickass Thrash Metal playing in the background.

4.And barley any dialogue.

So you don't want a movie. You want a glorified music video.

Not sure how making all dialogue be about barley really fits with the theme, though. :p

19 minutes ago, Gez said:

In a better universe, Doom 3 was a Sim City-style game where you rebuild Earth cities after the apocalypse.

So you don't want a movie. You want a glorified music video.

Not sure how making all dialogue be about barley really fits with the theme, though. :p

How else would you make a proper Doom movie?

I just stated everything that needs to be in a Doom movie.

Its possible to make an action movie enjoyable throughout without much dialogue.

Also, I didn't mean music playing 24/7. Only when the action shows up.

But of course, you have to find something to start an argument with, even if its completely unjustified.

Edited by aSeriesOfNumbers

I'm not a movie maker; but I'm of the opinion that the stuff a movie needs and the stuff a video game needs are quite different; which is why movies derived from video games are generally bad (ranging from absolutely awful to just mediocre) while video games that try to behave like movies are boring.

The key difference between the mediums is this:

• Video games are active entertainment. The player plays.
  • Movies are passive entertainment. The viewer watches.

A video game, being active, needs action. By action I mean it as a generic term, not necessarily action as in action movie: zoning an area in Sim City is an action, buying a house is an action in Skyrim, rotating a falling block is an action in Tetris, etc. Action doesn't have to be kicking a monster in the face, but it has to be something that the player actively does and consciously chooses to do. On the other hand, pressing F repeatedly when prompted is not an action.

A movie, by definition, will never have the kind of action has a game has. That's why "action" in a movie means a different thing, and is about stunts. While watching stunts can be entertaining in an of itself, it's not enough to sustain interest for 90 minutes or more; it just becomes repetitive and boring. So you need something else to maintain interest in your audience if you're doing an action movie, and that's where the plot enters the equation. You will need the following elements:

• At least one good character to carry the movie. It can be a likeable protagonist that the audience will grow to care about and want to see succeed, or it can be a loathsome antagonist that the audience will love to hate and want to see vanquished; preferably it'll be both but you need at least one.
  • Some story that makes some minimum amount of sense so that you're not constantly distracted from the action by plot-induced stupidity, lack of consistency, and plot holes.

So what does it mean for Doom? Doomguy is not a good protagonist because he's just an avatar for the player. And, now with the whole "Doom Slayer" thing that built him up as an invincible murder machine, how can you feel worried about his fate? He's just going to perform badass stunt after badass stunt and win the day without a scratch. That's not how you do a movie protagonist. If anything, the role a "Doom Slayer" Doomguy could fill would be that of an antagonist. See the first Terminator. But you couldn't make The Terminator with Doom. Vile Reese and Sarah Caconnor trying to evade Doomguy and finally getting able to get rid of him by luring him to a crusher would make a fun 5-minute parody but not a good feature-length movie.

What about the antagonist? Just a bunch of mindless demons, with less personality than the Pac Man ghosts. Forget it.

So, no, making the movie be about Doomguy is not going to work. You've got to make the movie be about other people. Making it about people trying to handle the demon invasion while they don't have the unbeatable, silent badass to rescue them is the best bet; you can have a bunch of hapless character, feed most of them to the monsters to build up tension along the way and then focus on a small amount of survivors that are in real danger because they're not invincible demon slaughterers. The idea of a Doom "prequel" which is about Doomguy's squad getting annihilated by the monsters works, if you have all the characters in the movie die at the end, then cut to Doomguy in his shuttle, watching the last bodycam display go dark, sighing, then putting on his armor and grabbing his pistol. The End, roll credits.

This is getting more into a general discussion on approaches to filmmaking, but I find that to be a pretty interesting topic, so hopefully some of you do too..

You made a lot of good points Gez, but ultimately.. Nah, I gotta disagree. Great filmmakers and storytellers have done so much more with so much less material countless times before.

So, no, making the movie be about Doomguy is not going to work.

Making the movie be "all about Doomguy" would be a mistake in my opinion, but what the 2005 film did was throw the title "DOOM" on a passable-but-generic sci-fi action flick and unfortunately the new film seems to be unfolding somewhat similarly. Hopefully I'm wrong, but if there IS a potential recipe for a good Doom film, that just isn't it.

Taking away the name, I feel the 2005 film was actually unduly panned as a standalone product, it was pretty fun to watch and a budget was clearly there. One reason (although not the main reason) it sucked was because there was almost nothing in the way of game tie-ins or fanservice. I mean shit, why weren't the marines at least in Doomy looking armor? Why did the bfg shoot BLUE plasma? These were extremely easy brownie points to score that they just dropped the ball on, fuck knows how. At least they got Pinky right. Even as absolutely terrible as the Mortal Kombat movie was, at least it looked like Mortal Kombat, y'know? To me, despite being a big mark against it, this is actually not the worst sin the Doom movie committed.

The biggest sin was that it had sweet fuck all to do with Doom. Again, the "no plot elements to work with, no character" argument to me is not only demonstrably wrong but unnecessarily limited from a creative perspective. There is SO MUCH ROOM to fill the world of Doom up with lore since the whole thing is so basic, but there's no need to reinvent the wheel and toss out what little plotline Doom has.

Talented writers are able to take a 'mostly blank setting' and a 'mostly blank slate character with some basic character traits (refuses to kill innocent people, not much respect for authority) and spin it into something interesting. We can't find out some more about why the UAC are doing what they're doing? We can't find out why Doomguy's CO ordered him to fire upon civilians? We can't build a world that tells us anything about the various aspects of the world of DOOM? Doomguy's struggle for survival on the martian terrain going from base to base? Anything?

I mentioned that video game films almost always get their tone wrong, but another important mistake too many of them make is this: They're given a basic world, only the fundamentals of the settings and characters are established, so there's plenty of room to write a story that somehow makes it all fit together while keeping the audience entertained. Yet, they all insist on throwing out what little IS there and just reinventing the wheel, so all the potential fanservice (aka the whole reason a video game film should even exist) is immediately destroyed and you just end up with some random film that just happens to share it's title with an existing game. Why even do it at all at that point?

You could easily add a few other key outsider characters to give him motivation or to add plot elements if necessary. In the games Doomguy receives a transmission at least once informing him of where Earth's hostages are. Let's build on that, there are clearly others alive out there communicating with him, so you don't even have to do the oddly-narrow "Doomguy is literally the only character" approach. Why not give the Doomguy a little backstory? Why not make it so a childhood friend is one of those hostages, giving him some sort of true motivation? Or perhaps make it so that Daisy was given to him by his since-deceased sister or some shit, and so he really wants to get back and protect the only living being he truly cares about, but then he finds Daisy dead and this fuels his roided-out rampage for the final 10 minutes/climax of the film. Maybe this leads him to being so detached and ruthless, maybe this leads him to becoming stonehearted, maybe this leads to him resolving to literally live in Hell and transcend his very humanity for the sake of keeping innocent lives safe?

I mean shit, is it just me or is there way more potential meat on this bone than you guys are giving it credit for? I mean I just thoughtlessly pulled those potential plotlines directly out of my ass and I already think there's way more there to build upon that just isn't being seen. I'm trying to expand on the existing elements, limited as they may be, rather than rewriting it all from scratch. Doomguy is there, the overall skeletal plot of the original Doom/Doom2 is there, expanded upon even, all the classic visual elements could make an appearance and make the fans go "woooh!!!" in the theater (which should be what a video game movie exists to do) like GREEN bfg balls, double-barrel shotguns, exploding barrels, green armor/the general appearance of the soldiers being similar to the game, the dead rabbit head, the city on fire.. I mean there are SO many iconic visual elements that would be dirt cheap to reproduce but would still please general Doom fans! They'd have some "Hey, I recognize that!" moments, which in my estimation are absolutely crucial to videogame films.

There are several action-comedies out there that, despite not being video game based films, provide a great example for what a video game based film aught to be like. Kung Fury provides a great example on the more absurdist end of the spectrum, but Zombieland also comes to mind. Zombieland is so similar to Doom in terms of story content when we throw out all the little details: Some average people are left alive but almost everyone is dead, they have to fight and explore for survival, but there's a ton of zombies out that what's gonna kill em good. The Doom story is: A soldier is left alive but almost everyone is dead, he will have to fight and explore for survival, but there's a ton of demons out there what's gonna kill him good. My point is, when you have a very basic premise, you can somewhat easily expand upon it and turn it into something interesting without contradicting (or ignoring) the basic elements of that world that are already in place.

When people say videogame films are always bad because there "just isn't enough to work with", I never buy that ultra-lazy answer. A big reason they're usually crap is because they pointlessly change basic, fundamental aspects of the world that the game has already established even though that's entirely unnecessary to do when you have a virtually blank slate anyway; the filmmakers also always seem to forget that the only logical reason to ever make a videogame-based movie in the first place is to please fans of said videogame. I mean seriously, why the hell else would you even do it? Throw some damn familiar visuals from the game in there FFS! Again I'll point to Mortal Kombat at least getting the visuals right. To me it's sad that MK is about the only videogame film I've ever seen to get the visuals right... and even then that's pretty much the only thing it has going for it.

I swear I can envision a multitude of different Doom based films that actually work, just on the basic level of being an entertaining romp that pleases most fans. The fact that so many videogame films are awful has convinced the world, wrongfully, that it is an impossible goal to achieve. The blame never seems to be laid at the feet of the directors and writers who took some basic characters and a basic world and spun it into trash rather than gold.

Why is it always the game's "fault" for somehow having an inferior idea-quotient? Sure that argument might fly for a game like Pong or Tetris, but not much else. Wouldn't providing settings, props, basic themes, basic storylines and basic characters - which almost every video game has - to good writers surely result in something.. You know.. Good? Of course it would, we've seen it before. I feel like the blame has been mistakenly placed upon the games themselves (and by proxy the devs) rather than the creatively stunted/limited writers who are incapable of creating cohesive, interesting story trajectories using those basic elements.

Thus concludes my sloppy dissertation on everyone seeming to misunderstand why literally no videogame movies have ever been good. It's all for fun and entertainment, but I think about this kind of stuff a lot, so you can see why I roll my eyes at people saying "FILM IS BAD BECAUSE WOMEN" or "FILM IS BAD BECAUSE GAME". Both takes are just so... lazy.

Edited by Doomkid

12 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Why not give the Doomguy a little backstory?

True, that could work for the movie. But at the same time I think it'd kinda detract from the character in the rest of the franchise. Which is why my personal preference is for having the movie be about People Who Canonically Are Not The Doomguy.

10 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

When people say videogame films are always bad because there "just isn't enough to work with", I never buy that ultra-lazy answer.

That's not what I was saying, though. My point was about the stuff that define a video game do not necessarily translate well to a movie plot. Imagine, for example, Sid Meier's Civilization: The Movie. The core element of the game is that you're an immortal ruler who guide your people through all eras of history, from primitive hunter-gatherers to the space age. Can you shoehorn that into a movie? Would it even be a good idea to try?

Likewise, a Doom movie cannot just be one-and-a-half hour of Doomguy straferunning around, popping zombies with a chaingun, downing imps with a shotgun, shooting pinkies with an SSG and ending with two-shotting a cybie with a point-blank BFG dance. It might be fun in the beginning but it'd just end up being terribly boring because it'd be in a movie, not a game, so all the displayed combat prowess would be down to script instead of skill.

10 minutes ago, Gez said:

True, that could work for the movie. But at the same time I think it'd kinda detract from the character in the rest of the franchise. Which is why my personal preference is for having the movie be about People Who Canonically Are Not The Doomguy.

That's not what I was saying, though. My point was about the stuff that define a video game do not necessarily translate well to a movie plot. Imagine, for example, Sid Meier's Civilization: The Movie. The core element of the game is that you're an immortal ruler who guide your people through all eras of history, from primitive hunter-gatherers to the space age. Can you shoehorn that into a movie? Would it even be a good idea to try?

Likewise, a Doom movie cannot just be one-and-a-half hour of Doomguy straferunning around, popping zombies with a chaingun, downing imps with a shotgun, shooting pinkies with an SSG and ending with two-shotting a cybie with a point-blank BFG dance. It might be fun in the beginning but it'd just end up being terribly boring because it'd be in a movie, not a game, so all the displayed combat prowess would be down to script instead of skill.

I agree with all 3 points you've made there. I also don't want you to think that entire text wall was directed solely at you, lol - I think you're raising totally valid points. Making it about "THE Doomguy", or assuming that there really even is "just one doomguy" may well deter a lot of Doomers for that same reason, using other marines while still telling a generally Doomy story could be a safer approach to avoid messing with canon. A lot of new fans seem to be obsessed with the Doomslayer though, pretty much solely for marketing reasons I think having there be "one doomslayer" would have the largest appeal. Not so much here, but elsewhere on the net, Doomslayer is practically worshipped, and a large number of players accept the theory that doom1, 2, 64 and 4 all share a common protagonist. You could have a Doom1 story disguised as a Doom4 backstory, so to speak.

Civilization is another prime example of just not being a good slate to launch a film from, for much the same reason as SimCity, despite both being really awesome as games. The little essay above pretty much only pertains to games that have definitive settings, characters and motivations - Typically, platformers, FPS games or other action games. Sim-type games (Civ, SimCity, Rollercoaster Tycoon) and puzzle games definitely don't fit at all into the "basic springboard to launch a full-fledged story from" case that I was making for films based on action, adventure, fighting, RPG and FPS games.

You could easily do a movie about only doomguy kicking ass but you would require an exceptionally talented and charming actor to pull it off. Tom Hardy, Chris Hemsworth (I'd love to see him and Taika Waititi do Doom, that would work) or hell Tom Cruise could probably make it work. And then that's not enough, as even these guys have starred in enough shite movies to even count, you'd need a director with style. Excellent production design. The whole monty. And no video game movie is gonna pull that sort of budget. Not yet. A successful video game movie would have to pave the way for it to ever happen.

7 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Even as absolutely terrible as the Mortal Kombat movie was

I love that movie. It's still to this day the best movie adaptation of any video game. Low bar, I know. 

A movie could start out with the Doomguy assaulting his superior officer for commanding a squad to fire upon unarmed civilians.

On 7/15/2019 at 10:24 PM, Super Mighty G said:

Oh boy.

How many want to bet they don't mention hell once just like the original movie?

Also lol it's direct to video. That says it all.

On 7/15/2019 at 10:49 PM, Sgt Nate V said:

I'm sure it was mentioned at least once in the teaser.

On 7/16/2019 at 4:25 AM, TheMightyHeracross said:

Right there in the trailer, 23 seconds in: "We've opened up a portal to Hell"

Look, I know you wanna hate-circlejerk the movie and hey, I don't have particularly high hopes myself to be honest, but come on.

But what chance the plot will be taken in actual otherworldly supernatural 'inter-dimensional' realm created by one of the primordial supreme Gods where he grows his power to take revenge against other primordial supreme Gods, i.e. "Hell" ?

Ok, so here’s a sneak peek at the BFG. 

Something I’ve noticed: the graphic shown for the chainsaw does look to be accurate for the movie, but the BFG graphic looks to be ripped from the 2016 version despite the movie version looking drastically different. 

Remember when id said they wouldn't be involved with the film? Looking back, I see that as less "we don't want to be associated with this thing" and more "we're too busy working on Eternal to give it more attention".

5 hours ago, Man of Doom said:

Something I’ve noticed: the graphic shown for the chainsaw does look to be accurate for the movie, but the BFG graphic looks to be ripped from the 2016 version despite the movie version looking drastically different. 

Director Tony Giglio has states the movie is based on the original game, but there are clear nods to the series as a whole. The barrel, for instance, looks like the Doom 64 barrel, but has Doom 3-ish UAC logo.

I'm not a fan of the Chainsaw acquired message effect. It wasn't even in first person so who's hud was that for?

It's just cheesy to me.

2 hours ago, Chezza said:

I'm not a fan of the Chainsaw acquired message effect. It wasn't even in first person so who's hud was that for?

It's just cheesy to me.

Pretty sure that's just icing for the post. There's clearly some "fancy editing" that accompanies the framing of the clip as well.

On 9/4/2019 at 1:36 PM, MaxRideWizardLord said:

But what chance the plot will be taken in actual otherworldly supernatural 'inter-dimensional' realm created by one of the primordial supreme Gods where he grows his power to take revenge against other primordial supreme Gods, i.e. "Hell" ?

Doom's Hell is not Dante's Hell, it's just vaguely inspired by it. Doom's Hell is most certainly not the biblical hell. It's just a loosely defined hell and the details are left blank on purpose. The actual hierarchy and principles of such a hell are beside the point. No one cares what the hell lore is in Event Horizon, yet it's a community darling when it comes to depicting hell in movies.

Furthermore, you do not want the ultimate Satan, leader of all Hell, present in Doom. id obviously goes in the direction of "Doomguy's eternal struggle against the endless forces of Hell", but if there's a Lucifer at the top, he is either just a really powerful demon that Doomguy could've went and killed anytime during his crusade and then what; or he's a near-omnipotent eternal being in struggle with God and that just means he could've snuffed out DG with a thought anytime and he just allows him to run around and play hero for shits&giggles. Bad look.

Doom works best in a harsh universe where Hell is "merely" a dimension of demons we tapped into in our arrogance and got burned for it.

On 8/22/2019 at 5:26 AM, D88M3R said:

Changing the race/gender/sexuality of a character for no reason is the same thing whatever way you do it, make Blade an albino guy or Wonder Woman a hairy man for example and see what happens, besides there is not really a point behind it, is just marketing stunts, is "inclusiveness" for inclusiveness sake and if it looks dumb and pointless from someone outside of the USA like me i can only imagine how ridiculous it must be from the inside, they have good characters that are black or women or whatever, use them, dont change what it works for being one way so the brand gets noticed.

Counterpoint:

Spoiler

They made Nick Fury a black guy and everyone thought it was the best thing ever. But go ahead and try to advocate how David Hasselhoff was a better Fury than Sam Jackson, it should be hilarious.

Heck, even the "I'm not a racist but" crowd, when cornered, admits that they'd accept Dwayne Johnson as the Doomguy. But he's not white, so what gives?

He is white enough for them. 

Just saw Gggman on Twitter getting emotional about the BFG reveal clip. People following suit and I am not even sure what the major issue is. 

3 hours ago, dew said:

What does this word salad even mean?

Doom's Hell is not Dante's Hell, it's just vaguely inspired by it. Doom's Hell is most certainly not the biblical hell. It's just a loosely defined hell and the details are left blank on purpose. The actual hierarchy and principles of such a hell are beside the point. No one cares what the hell lore is in Event Horizon, yet it's a community darling when it comes to depicting hell in movies.

Furthermore, you do not want the ultimate Satan, leader of all Hell, present in Doom. id obviously goes in the direction of "Doomguy's eternal struggle against the endless forces of Hell", but if there's a Lucifer at the top, he is either just a really powerful demon that Doomguy could've went and killed anytime during his crusade and then what; or he's a near-omnipotent eternal being in struggle with God and that just means he could've snuffed out DG with a thought anytime and he just allows him to run around and play hero for shits&giggles. Bad look.

Doom works best in a harsh universe where Hell is "merely" a dimension of demons we tapped into in our arrogance and got burned for it.

And how's the gibberish you're talking about now is anywhere relevant to my original post?

I have no idea how you managed to see a "biblical" hell in the post, considering I haven't said a word in to reference of it. I've literally just took the plot of the 2016's lore, where the "bad guy" is just one of the primordial powerful guys that you'd call a God, duh. Besides, what's not supernatural about setting things on fire by the power of will? I'd say it goes against our natural understanding of universe, thus it's super. I've also used a bit of Doom 3 lore, which id seem to confirm were done in same lore unvierse, where UAC just did open portal to another dimension with these super advanced Hi-Tech beast that have different biological structure than humans or any other being in this universe and thus being able to shoot fireballs, to say loosely.

And thank God the id didn't take the non-sense biblical approach which would give the whole Doom lore a more of fantasy feel with it's linear "evil vs good" narrative, but rather give Sci-Fi genre to it, i.e. literally Science Fiction, a fictional Science which allows us to have parallel universes realm, maybe eve inter-dimensional realm with otherworldly (from other world, which has different physics, universe and probably entirely different from this, molecular universe) creatures; a fiction that obey to the rules of logic and common sense, of badass guys fighting other badass guys where we call one of the badass guy as just "bad guy", rather than straight up "satan vs god". A Science which allows the MAGIC, i.e. spiritual power of Mind which allows to bent reality, along side have power within which allows said creatures use pyrokinesis (shoot fire balls or light enemies on fire like archie), psychic telekinesis for levitation, etc, to be as real, explained, studied and physical as the gravity.

All that besides the point, what one describes as "hell" doesn't matter at all in the slightest. What matter is, is that we want a lore where we fight otherwordly creatures, i.e. beings literally from another universe that have supernatural powers, i.e. powers that would be considered as super, beyond natural by the average human citizen. NOT a fucking bacterial infected and mutated "zombies" that we'd call a "demons" for whatever reason.

I'm pretty sure the 'Weapon Acquired' graphic is for the promotional clips/trailers. Not sure why some people are annoyed about that.

Everywhere I look, on all social media, the response to this seems overwhelmingly negative, and I don't entirely understand why. The like/dislike ratios on YouTube uploads of the trailer are completely insane (I fucking hate 'dislike' buttons, they need to die, they make angry trolls think they're right and they're a bloody scourge on society!) The first trailer was pretty underwhelming, sure, but everything else since has been just fine for something straight to video/streaming.

I think a lot of hate is coming from people who have joined the fandom since Doom 2016, expecting something like Hardcore Henry or Crank, with "Doom Slayer" splitting demons in half with only his hands, and all that, rather than "Evil Dead on Mars"/"Aliens in hell" which is pretty much what most Doom media was before that. I really don't care if the main character/'Doomguy' turns out to be a woman. Honestly I couldn't care less. I do understand why some people do care, and I get it, but what I don't get is the level of anger which that awakens in them.

I mean I do love 2016 and the Doom Slayer version of Doomguy, the only problem with him is that the horror and suspense element is pretty much lost. I know most people associate that part solely with Doom 3, but the original Doom was pretty scary at the time too. In a lot of ways this feels almost like what I wanted to see in 2005, but unfortunately timed after the 2016 game.

Personally I can't see how a movie with the Doom Slayer/2016 Doomguy would work, everything about him is designed to compliment the gameplay, not the story. But I'm all over seeing somebody attempt a movie of classic Doom without the drawbacks of the 2005 one.

I basically agree that direct adaptions of games can't work as a movies. The medium is too different. Either they spin their own watchable narrative or adhere as much as possible to the source material. One audience will be disappointed either way.

Trying to make a straight adaptation of a game is dumb, you should set an original story within the "world" of the game so fans see tons of references but it's still an actual movie that is trying to be a proper movie. See: Detective Pikachu.

2 hours ago, FreakZoneGames said:

I'm pretty sure the 'Weapon Acquired' graphic is for the promotional clips/trailers. Not sure why some people are annoyed about that.

Everywhere I look, on all social media, the response to this seems overwhelmingly negative, and I don't entirely understand why. The like/dislike ratios on YouTube uploads of the trailer are completely insane (I fucking hate 'dislike' buttons, they need to die, they make angry trolls think they're right and they're a bloody scourge on society!) The first trailer was pretty underwhelming, sure, but everything else since has been just fine for something straight to video/streaming.

The problem with the film for me is that it just feels...cynical. Like it's being done only because Doom is in the mainstream again and Universal realized they have this old video game license they can cash-in on.

And it checks out. The film is being produced by Universal 1440, who seems to exist solely to churn out cheap animated features and meaningless direct-to-video sequels to Universal properties collecting dust: Jarhead, Hard Target, Backdraft, Scorpion King. The whole thing looks low budget enough that the live-action commercial for Doom 2016 probably had more money to play with.

Doom deserves better that a DTV cheapie, but I can't imagine that my feelings are much different than anybody who liked Jarhead or Backdraft and find out that some mediocre and forgettable DTV film is calling itself a sequel to a thing they enjoyed.

8 minutes ago, Jarvay said:

The problem with the film for me is that it just feels...cynical. Like it's being done only because Doom is in the mainstream again and Universal realized they have this old video game license they can cash-in on.

This is true, except Universal probably set out to make the movie in order to not lose rights to the franchise. They did luck out with Eternal creating some extra free hype for them, and now they maybe wish they threw more money into it. The movie is highly likely going to suck, and this cynicism is the primary reason for that, not the junk in the protagonist's pants.

On 8/24/2019 at 1:12 AM, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

In context, that "who needs Doomguy" line was just a lighthearted joke.  It wasn't meant to be taken as "LOL Doomguy sucks because he is male".

Who needs @Doomguy when we have @doomkid. That's right you can burn me to the ground for saying "LOL Doomguy sucks because he is adult."

On 9/5/2019 at 9:15 AM, Man of Doom said:

Ok, so here’s a sneak peek at the BFG. 

BFG9000! [softly] let it pop!