Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Doom: Annihilation update

1 hour ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

What's wrong with all this people today wanting to post a reply without even finishing to read sentences?

If people doesn't agree with you it doesn't mean we doesn't read the whole message. We just found your logic invalid.

BTW

1 hour ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Dude in a Doomguy cosplay fighting monsters is not the same as John Wick, it won`t attract the same public.

Different main character in another Action Shooter Movie = This another Movie is no more Action Shooter like previous.

I'm sorry, what? That's the most stupidiest thing I've even read in this thread.

I'm starting to agree that this movie is fundamentally better as a concept than the 2005 film. I can see what they wanted to do with this movie. I can see the ambition and the direction they wanted to give it but would have needed a obviously higher budget and more experienced production crew, fx, actors, etc... of course, they just didn't have those finances or resources.

But it still wouldn't have made a good DOOM flick even if it had those things. It would have been a good sci-fi horror movie for sure If it had those things... But it wasn't doom at all. And same goes for the 2005 movie. Unless you're comparing it to Doom 3... Which was so drastically different in atmosphere, story, gameplay and environment than the classic DOOM series. Yes this 2019 film along with the 2005 film are more relatable to the Doom 3-theme as Doom 3 was meant to be very atmospheric horror & theatrical and very linear in its own design.

But classic Doom is in such a different realm of concept, atmosphere and vision that neither of these movies even come close to portraying it. It would be so difficult to pull off a truly "Doom-themed" movie, no matter the budget or resources, because it's not a conventional sci-fi horror movie in any sense... Not at all. It would take a director like Ridley Scott, David Lynch, George Lucas, James Cameron, Sam Raimi or John Carpenter to create such a Doom saga. Those are just examples... but they are some capable of executing such types of films within a likeness of the classics and of that scale.

To be fair when I think of a doom movie..  I don't think of one done in the style of Doom 3. I don't even think of one done in the design style of Doom Eternal or Doom 2016 (as they are hybrid designs of all the prior series and new concepts, though both far superior to doom 3 imho). When I think of a DOOM movie... I envision it in the spirit of classic DOOM. I think many others do as well, and I think this implies that any other theatrical "vision" just won't cut muster or ever be "Doom" enough for the majority of us. 

DOOM is a episodic action saga in a dark & evil realm with *some* sci-fi and *some* metal (but not entirely) elements. It was always that more so than a shallow horror metal-theme sci-fi flick, and that's why it'll never be possible to pull it off in a film.

Edited by Buckshot

12 hours ago, Linguica said:

Hate to make an 700% profit on my movie. Just can't stand it when that happens.

that clearly takes his point out of context linguica. You took his statement and his olive branch and twisted it to look like he was being contradictory.

20 hours ago, Linguica said:

Hate to make an 700% profit on my movie. Just can't stand it when that happens.

Actually, there were little to no proffit, if any. You din't put into account marketing costs and some HUGE sum that was paid for licensing (something like 5 milions, yes, it's crazy).

UPD: actually, it was 10 whoooping milions.

Edited by incel

So I actually watched the movie yesterday. Honestly...it wasn’t that bad.  It’s amazing how much with the right kind of care and effort a decent Doom movie can get made. Yes this one followed the original game more, liked the nods to the game (but why couldn’t Daisy have been a rabbit like in the game the talking ship thing was weird)acting was somewhat decent I really liked the guy who played Betruger and I liked the woman who played Joan.

The only things I didn’t like was they had Captain Savage player by a guy who looked SO MUCH like the avatar in Doom to the point I thought he was gonna be the one surviving and then they killed him off, Hell felt like an afterthought even though the director said Hell would be a big part in the movie and you only saw it for a few minutes at the max, NIMBLE ZOMBIES?, there was no doomguy even though the director said originally he’d be in it in some form whatever that meant, the ending was a cliffhanger.

All in all I found it very enjoyable. I still think the 2005 movie is just a bit better because of nostalgia reasons and cause it was so cool to see Doom on the big screen when it came out. I definitely plan on buying this on Blu-ray and putting it next to my copy of the first movie when it comes out.

7/10

Trying to be totally reasonable and not misogynist or chauvinist, a Doomchick (closest equivalent to Doomguy) sounds like a great idea to have somewhere.   Problems with this case being inaccuracy to the source material, the actress's crappy tweet, and being in line with current Hollywood trends of disingenuous virtue signaling, etc.   From what I see here, it seems she may have played the part very well, kicked ass, and shown some great physical skill.   Just what I previously said is the problem as well as her looking like an undersized kid in her helmet in the trailer.   For a Doomchick people expect someone bigger and more muscular like a wrestler such as the late Chyna.   Personally I'm too damn skinny to play THE Doomguy no matter how strong or powerful I am.   In my avatar picture I only appear to have such bulk due to wearing a regular black gi top under all that.

Giving some real life examples.   Fire Departments used to have a requirement that you must be able to carry someone.   So that more women could qualify for the job more easily, they eased the requirement to you can drag a victim, which unfortunately could be more detrimental to victims.   Also I have a friend who has a handicapped brother with health problems they have to sometimes call an ambulance for.   He has complained about them sending two woman paramedics of which neither can carry his brother who I think is a small skinny guy (in a wheelchair), so he carries his brother and helps load him in the ambulance himself.   Now there's plenty of women strong enough to do so, but it's a problem when they hire the wrong people for the job for the sake of hiring them, and send them out without sufficient backup.   If he wasn't there to carry his brother, it would have been worse.   I can picture the paramedics knocking on a neighbor's door and asking, "Hey, do you think you can carry this guy?"

Edited by Gokuma

Spoiler

874781243_DoomHero.png.be8595efa93c7c0209b2d7e297567635.png

It doesn't say doomguy. It doesn't say doomgirl. It just says YOU over and over. And after you kill the icon of sins it says our hero in the bestiary scene. 

Edit : this doesn't mean I think he isn't a guy. The daisy scene pretty much shows him as a guy. Same with the hud.

Edited by Pegg

21 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

Funny thing reading people now consider 'Doomguy' as an avatar...

Time changes...

It's just cause John Romero said it once back in like...2002 that is making fans espouse that belief over and over.  They forget John Romero hasn't been in ID software for years now (before he said that Doomguy is an avatar) so whatever he says now doesn't mean it's cannon.  Let's also not forget John Romero and Tom Hall both stated the Doomguy is related to B.J and Commander Keen, as well as the Doom RPG games possibly being cannon...which would make the marine (or at least one of them) Stan Blazkowicz.  You could read an entire article about this over at https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Canon

Either way, it's debatable at best if the marine is truly supposed to be the player in cannon.  With Doom Eternal confirming who the DoomSlayer truly is, we'll possibly get yet another answer that's actually coming from ID software themselves.

I'll just wait to see how the movie does when it actually is released before making any judgement about it. And I don't think the gender discussions do this thread any good. This is like the 100th time it is about to get derailed by people fighting over it.

24 minutes ago, Pegg said:
  Hide contents

874781243_DoomHero.png.be8595efa93c7c0209b2d7e297567635.png

It doesn't say doomguy. It doesn't say doomgirl. It just says YOU over and over. And after you kill the icon of sins it says our hero in the bestiary scene. 

Edit : this doesn't mean I think he isn't a guy. The daisy scene pretty much shows him as a guy. Same with the hud.

This is the best evidence of the marine being the player since it's actually in print from ID themselves.  Even so, they could be referring that the "player" plays as "the marine" that stops the invasion.  The article I linked states this theory best:

"A different way of referring to each protagonist is as the "player," although this is a technical denomination similar to that of the player character in role-playing games. And so, the player knows the player isn't the only marine and will see a bunch of other marines that were killed on their missions."

Sorry if I side tracked the topic.  Either way watch the movie for yourself and come to your own conclusion.

On 9/26/2019 at 11:37 PM, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

You don't like Doom 4 because it's not like the original, yet you like the new movie.

Something sort of noticeable about story in Doom is when people only know it's not that important because of what the creators said about it, rather than just looking at the small existing story ingame (and in booklets and such) and realizing it's made intentionally to not matter.

Like, we probably did not need Carmack and Romero themselves to remind us about the story being meaningless.

It's also a case of media or games themselves being seen as if they can communicate something without needing creators to explain it, even something like "the story is a last minutes after-thought, it doesn't mean shit".

But at the same time, i wonder who else besides Tom Hall thought of there being story in Doom because Sandy Peterson i think was the one who explained the Archviles just wanting to help their partners and probably the concept of Hell corrupting reality by merging different worlds.

And Adrian may have been the one who thought of Daisy, just to put a dead bunny in the game. (unless i'm wrong here so correction please and thanks)

10 hours ago, STILES said:

It's just cause John Romero said it once back in like...2002 that is making fans espouse that belief over and over.  They forget John Romero hasn't been in ID software for years now (before he said that Doomguy is an avatar) so whatever he says now doesn't mean it's cannon.  Let's also not forget John Romero and Tom Hall both stated the Doomguy is related to B.J and Commander Keen, as well as the Doom RPG games possibly being cannon...which would make the marine (or at least one of them) Stan Blazkowicz.  You could read an entire article about this over at https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Canon

Either way, it's debatable at best if the marine is truly supposed to be the player in cannon.  With Doom Eternal confirming who the DoomSlayer truly is, we'll possibly get yet another answer that's actually coming from ID software themselves.

No need to explain my friend, i know the whole story...

Bit spoilery review-ish thing

The movie went by very fast. It didn't take long to get to the action and it had a small running time. Because of this it didn't overstay its welcome but also things felt very rushed, none of the action or events had time to breathe.

The squad dies very fast and almost entirely to zombies (or whatever they are). The only two members of the squad that I liked were the sarge (or captain) and the main actress. The only other notable actor was Betruger.

Zombies were weird. You can tell there was only literally 3 zombie actors (two in scientist garb and one with a suit and tie) You never see more than 2-3 on screen so its hard to get a sense for just how many there actually was suppose to be. They were also the typical braindead zombie that eats human flesh but they could also parkour.....? It was so random lol

The imps were cool, they had the fireball charge up from Doom 64, but they weren't very mobile. In the hell sequence you can see Imps climbing walls and jumping around but for the rest of the movie its a dude in a suit.

The BFG. It don't work like that. The weapons in general also looked too fake and clean. The double barrel shotgun scene was nice, but again, way too short.

There was so much fanservice. From the names of past id Software characters to the Red/Blue/Yellow keycards to some of the weapons (exception to BFG) among other things. Some of it felt cringey while others I thought were nice.

Overall a decent low budget action movie. It wasn't a pain to get through but I don't think I'll ever watch it again.

FYI There has been more discussion over "Doom canon" in this one thread than the creators have ever, ever done.

(Except perhaps when they argued whether to throw Tom Hall's design doc in the trash... or crumple it up, wipe their asses with it, set it on fire and THEN throw it in the trash.)

1 hour ago, wheresthebeef said:

I barely saw the movie yesterday and well..

you saved my job because I have the same thoughts as you

Just watched it. 

I don't understand how anyone can say it was worse than the original Doom movie. It was WAY better, and actually had something to fucking do with DOOM. 

I wouldn't rank it as an amazing movie by any means, but it also was nowhere near as terrible as it could have been. And there was obvious , sincere effort despite the budget. 

- Lots of callbacks to pretty much every entry in the Doom series except Doom 2016. I noticed even a visual callback to the Doom PSX cover at one point. 

- Most of the actors did decent job. No one was cringe worthy except for this one scientist extra. 

- Most of the issues with the movie had to do with the low budget, but I've seen worse. 

- Much more action than the 2005 movie. 

- GOod job conveying the superior strength and speed of the monsters compared to humans. Lots of movies like this do a bad job at that. 

- Female actress was not a huge deal. No woke- issues with the way the movie plays out, she's just incidentally a she. 

- First person perspective shots felt much less forced than the 2005 movie. 

Things I did dislike: 

- That one scientist lady was really, really annoying. 

-  BFG was more like a plasma rifle in function. It's form looked plastic like. The projectile was more like the classic BFG though. 

- SSG and BFG are the only iconic weapons. The rest are generic, passable sci fi military stuff.  

- Again, obvious issues from being low budget, but some attempt to work with it was obvious. 

- Final "boss" was....odd. Not sure what it was supposed to be. 

- The movie didn't have a solid tone. It was neither horror, nor pure action, nor super B grade. But again... this is because of the budget. If they focused on either tone, I can't help but think it would have required even more of a budget. 

Overall: good effort. Not a great movie, but absolutely not wretchidly terrible either. It's worth  a watch if you're a Doom fan, or just looking for a chill evening.

I kind of wish/ hope that the guy helming this project might get another stab with a higher budget, because  I honestly think he'd do a good job with more to work with. 

The movie was fun, but the budget definitely showed.  Props department made the ARs and AKs look pretty bland, the Marines' combat armor was about as boring as it got, BUT I thought the Imps were awesome and the action was definitely there.  I wish there was a lot more with the Super Shotgun.  The acting that stood out to me the most was Dominic Mafham as Dr. Betruger, because he was almost able to elevate some of the scenes past it's b-movie budget feel.

7 hours ago, Pegg said:

So it has the alpha BFG but with green projectiles? 

More like it's a beefed up plasma rifle whose projectiles LOOK like the BFG. It is not an area of effect weapon, it hits single targets (unless the projectile was occasionally burning through  a target railgun style, which I do not recall). 

side notes ,but a couple of fun easter eggs that were a little more subtle IMO: 

- The dead marine Blazkowitz is decapitated. New Colossus reference?

- The guy that everyone thought was supposed to be Doomguy gets killed by Former Humans. People cited this as a reason for why he is not Doomguy, but.... E1 ends wit OG Doomguy getting ripped apart by former humans primarily. It may be a stretch, but I wonder if this wasn't a callback of its own. 

I watched the movie last night around at 11:30pm...

I'm not gonna say anything about its budget or being a b-movie... that doesn't make sense to me.

What can i say?: Yes, better than the first Doom Movie. 

I liked it, many visual references to the games. I knew it was worthwhile having a little faith to it, just like the faith message in the movie.

I liked the Marine Squad. Sorta reminds me to the Doom Bible characters a bit.

No much to say, a good Doom movie so far. 

I like both movies now.

Edited by Gerardo194 : typos

Just saw the movie for myself. Yeah, I'd say it was rather decent for a B-movie! I wouldn't call it good exactly, but I wasn't bored either. Seemed pretty faithful to the original games and they at least tried their best with the budget they had. Probably won't watch it again anytime soon, but I'd still say I was reasonably entertained for an hour and a half.
Wonder if Romero himself will see it soon too and share his thoughts...

Edited by Triple_sSs

I just got done watching it and I really enjoyed it. I was skeptical going in, with the reviews being mixed as they were bound to be (and I've avoided reading too many of them because, really, I don't give a shit in the end - I'll enjoy what I personally enjoy). But wow, this is exactly what I was hoping for in a Doom movie back in 2005 when we instead got served up a generic glitzy shitshow selling itself on big stars and a blowout budget but having squat-nothing to do with the Doom series itself.

This isn't for the Doom 2016 crowd at all - there's no super soldier mowing down demons left and right and punching out monitors from roid rage. This is more about the horror and suspense you felt when you saw the flashing lights at the start of Deimos Lab, and the dark parts of Doom 3. The feeling that the enemy is a real threat and by being the best soldier you can be, you might make it out alive like Joan does at the end.

It had the right amount of fan service stuff - Doom style maps in the HUDs, red and yellow keycards, a couple familiar names thrown in; the chainsaw, SSG, and the BFG9000; some explosive barrels. Nothing that went too far out of the way just to say "oh yeah this is Doom" without it being justfied by getting used as part of the action sequences.

It's not going to win awards. Some of the acting is a bit thin maybe, some of the humor might miss the mark (like Winslow noping out during one of the battles, it's pretty silly) but it was passable for me. But it was a solid thing altogether. The only fault I can really find is that it could be longer - especially the Hell part! If Tony Giglio gets his way and gets to make another entry, I hope he's going to show us more of that.