Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RichardDS90

Have you ever changed as a gamer as years went on?

3 hours ago, Maser said:

I used to be really impressed with how games were evolving.  Nowadays, I wish they would devolve back to what they used to be.  You know, fun and challenging games that you could actually play right away without having to do stupid updates and search for patches to make the game playable. And don't even get me started on games that force you to join a website before you can play it.   

This! It's pretty much why I barely play modern games these day, exceptions of course like the new Doom games. Hell the furthest console I've gone up to is an Xbox 360. Or the 3DS if you count it as part of the 8th generation too. The only patches I'll accept are more fan made patches to a game that's already good enough in it's own right.

I used to play everything that came out that I could get my hands on, and obsess over video game industry news and such, now it's a passing interest, and I play more Minecraft with my brother and old school fps source ports than I do anything else. I harbor a growing frustration with gaming "culture" as a whole, and find it increasingly toxic and immature in many regards. I don't have the time I once had for gaming, and even when I do I have much less motivation to enjoy it.

I use gaming to keep in touch with distant friends and do multiplayer games with them just to hang out, it's not a serious competition anymore. I still love racing and flight sims, but hardly find as much time for them as I used to and my racing wheel rarely gets used these days. I guess I'm just getting old.  

Gameplay wise, I used to horde resources and VERY carefully plan things and take my time, play slowly, now I just go for it, no longer conserve everything for the boss fights, play through games faster and take much more risk. I die more as well haha. The only multiplayer game I've been seriously competitive with in the last 5 years is Rocket League and a couple of online racing sims. I've decided to start playing online Doom now, as I'm slowly returning to the old games and communities, just to have fun and kick some nostalgia around.