Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
coltonrawr

Maximum Doom Level Order

I was thinking of having some sort of level-order setup for Maximum Doom (for the Doom, Doom 2, and Heretic WADs within) like Xaser has for the Master Levels (set by difficulty). Would anyone be interested in pitching in to this? (Sure, some of the levels here aren't that great, but it'd certainly make playing this collection a bit easier).

One does not simply put order to Maximum Doom.

This is a question I myself have pondered. Assuming one doesn't want to delete any wads, it would be best to create sub-categories for DM-only maps, episode replacement packs (up to 9 maps), larger packs, (up to 32 maps), sound-mod only wads, wads that don't work on vanilla, and so forth.

Personally, I've cut this bastard down to currently 104 wads from the Doom I folder (97 individual or a few map wads, 7 wadpacks) and 562 from Doom II ( 506 and 56 respectively). There's a lot of crap, believe me. I think a much more manageable 'Minimum Doom' is the best way to go, and I still have a ways to go. But yeah, it's best to go in with the mindset of not putting up with bullshit, and ruthlessly cutting out the time-wasters to get to the good'uns. 

And they ARE there.

It would probably be best to have the mapinfo for whatever would come out of this have only the maps that work in singleplayer and have the difficulty curve you'd expect from Doom megawads/the original Doom/Doom 2 itself. The Heretic ones, meanwhile, would probably end up having a WAD/mapinfo all to themselves due to them having enough maps to have a short episode from Maximum Doom. That's just my take on what this would entail and what it would likely come to be.

I can't wait to play "Minimum Doom" when you're done, Matt. I'd be willing to do up a mapinfo for that, assuming you end up wanting to make a definitive level order. It's a strange mix of tedium and fun sorting through old garbage, I used to be obsessed with doing that. The biggest example I have of cutting down a bunch of rubbish and leaving only the gold behind was cutting the DWANGO series down from about 352 total maps to the best 50. I called it dwango50.wad naturally and I'm glad to say I do see people playing it from time to time so if you finish this Minimum Doom project, you'll definitely have a handful of people who want to play it, myself included.

Yeah I suppose I could boil it down to a top 100, or top 100 of both Doom and Doom II each, but there's still lots of variables I would have to decide on.  Like including historical wads like say sewers.wad, which I personally hate.  Or if there's some bullshit like mandatory secrets, or you're unable to 100% complete it, or if the path to the exit can be broken, etc.  If I do it, it would be a 'personal' Minimum Doom. 

But then again, it WOULD kick ass, I must admit.  Watch this space.

The proper order of Maximum Doom is to just play them all in alphabetical order live on twitch and name the series "The Great Shovelware Extravaganza"

I just go A - Z 1 - 12. It had an actual order on PS2 was it or XBox Doom 3 collector's edition. Oh there's 1,000+ other levels? I don't think I knew that and I own it.

What's the proper order for Z!Doom?

Edited by geo

53 minutes ago, Mystic 256 said:

The proper order of Maximum Doom is to just play them all in alphabetical order live on twitch and name the series "The Great Shovelware Extravaganza"

Tarnsman. That crazy sunnava- bitch, he did it.

On 7/16/2019 at 6:12 PM, Maximum Matt said:

Tarnsman. That crazy sunnava- bitch, he did it.

He didn't really though. He only played through the Doom 2 maps. Which is still impressive, that's 3062 of them. But he left all the Doom 1 and heretic maps, and that's another 425.

I've also done it a long time ago, in 2012. The full Doom, Doom II and Heretic maps. But I never streamed or recorded anything.
I think what made it easy/quick to get through is not ordering it alphabetically, but by size smallest to largest WAD files. That's how I did it anyway

1 hour ago, betabox said:

I've also done it a long time ago, in 2012. The full Doom, Doom II and Heretic maps. But I never streamed or recorded anything.
I think what made it easy/quick to get through is not ordering it alphabetically, but by size smallest to largest WAD files. That's how I did it anyway

That's really cool! 😀

I'm about to start the same thing tomorrow. I am going to stream and record it (because I have a YouTube channel, and because no one has ever seemed to have done it), and I'm looking forward to it with a lot of excitement, albeit also with some dread.

How do you feel having done it, if I may ask? I'd love to hear about your experience.

9 hours ago, Kes Gaming YT said:

He didn't really though. He only played through the Doom 2 maps. Which is still impressive, that's 3062 of them. But he left all the Doom 1 and heretic maps, and that's another 425.

Yeah, he was under the impression that all the wads in the Doom I folder had Doom II equivalents.  This is not the case (even though there are tons of D2 conversions, which probably led to his assumption) and so he missed a lot of old school maps.  

He would also occasionally quit a wad if he'd played the first level before, and not check if there were any maps after it - he would miss some there.  And a couple of times I think he would start playing before realizing he wasn't recording, and just keep going and not replaying - because sometimes the end of an episode and the start of the next one wouldn't match up in the alphabetical level order.  So yeah, he missed a few (and this is my OCD showing), but the Maximum Doom Crapstravaganza nonetheless is still a monumental achievement.  

9 hours ago, betabox said:

I did it this way too, and it's better as you can plow through a lot of small levels quickly and get to know the 'feel' of the compilation.

8 hours ago, Kes Gaming YT said:

I'm about to start the same thing tomorrow. I am going to stream and record it (because I have a YouTube channel, and because no one has ever seemed to have done it), and I'm looking forward to it with a lot of excitement, albeit also with some dread.

May the super shotgun be with you.  You gonna do the whole thing?? I would recommend going through the .txt files in the folders first and delete off any wads that specifically say are DM-only, unless you want the full Max Doom experience and record a whole lot of you wandering through lots of empty levels ;-)  Also, might as well just delete anything whose filename starts with E1M1, because there are dozens of Hangar re-skins.  

You also need to check out Piece Of Pie Software and his Max Doom video series (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1QOcqot3cU&list=PL0E1E2DABC31CC5C4), this guy was methodically going through it for more than 10 years (!!!) before admitting defeat last year, and he only got to the letter D!!! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfbvvSEWZ6c&list=PL0E1E2DABC31CC5C4&index=486)

That's probably my only real regret, not taking down notes as I went through it, mark down which ones were really good, etc. I don't remember why, but it was nowhere near as bad as I expected. I had a system on how I'd handle/approach WADs when they got ridiculous/impossible by way of monster count/placement, etc. which helped keep things moving along. Plus there was a ton I actually gained from the experience as I used Doombuilder extensively, for whenever I got stuck solution-wise and learned so much about maps in the process. Became second nature to figure out what triggered what in a map, or if there was any trigger, if items were missing or difficulty-specific, etc. Was way more fun than misery.

I wish this didn't remind me, but I miss @GreyGhost

8 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

I did it this way too, and it's better as you can plow through a lot of small levels quickly and get to know the 'feel' of the compilation.

This, very much this. I think it's motivating, WAD count wise, to see you've gone through a considerable portion of the content in so little time. I actually didn't exclude any E1M1 edits or DM maps just on the goal I had set of at least reaching an exit in any map if it was possible. Obviously had to adjust that rule a bit here and there.

On 9/21/2020 at 12:33 AM, Maximum Matt said:

Yeah, he was under the impression that all the wads in the Doom I folder had Doom II equivalents.  This is not the case (even though there are tons of D2 conversions, which probably led to his assumption) and so he missed a lot of old school maps.  

He would also occasionally quit a wad if he'd played the first level before, and not check if there were any maps after it - he would miss some there.  And a couple of times I think he would start playing before realizing he wasn't recording, and just keep going and not replaying - because sometimes the end of an episode and the start of the next one wouldn't match up in the alphabetical level order.  So yeah, he missed a few (and this is my OCD showing), but the Maximum Doom Crapstravaganza nonetheless is still a monumental achievement.

Believe me, as someone who is also a little OCD, that would drive me crazy.  

May the super shotgun be with you.  You gonna do the whole thing?? I would recommend going through the .txt files in the folders first and delete off any wads that specifically say are DM-only, unless you want the full Max Doom experience and record a whole lot of you wandering through lots of empty levels ;-)  Also, might as well just delete anything whose filename starts with E1M1, because there are dozens of Hangar re-skins.  

On top of being OCD, I'm a completionist, so I'm going to do absolutely everything, even if I do have to wander through a few empty DM maps and play a few reskins. ;) I'm actually going back and replaying through a couple of maps that I didn't do properly in Part 1 of my series.

Speaking of which (I hope this isn't against forum rules) here is a link to my Part 1 if you want to see what my format is like:

You also need to check out Piece Of Pie Software and his Max Doom video series (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1QOcqot3cU&list=PL0E1E2DABC31CC5C4), this guy was methodically going through it for more than 10 years (!!!) before admitting defeat last year, and he only got to the letter D!!! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfbvvSEWZ6c&list=PL0E1E2DABC31CC5C4&index=486)

I'll be sure and check him out! I imagine the burnout gets real. xD

Holy hell, dude, you're for real!! I'm gonna watch the hell out of this series, but I'm tellin' you, there's more than a *few* DM map and reskins!!

There's plenty of cool, interesting, and flat-out weird stuff on Max Doom, but there is quite a lot of grind to get to them, and I hope you are aware of that sir.

Good luck!!

1 hour ago, Maximum Matt said:

Holy hell, dude, you're for real!! I'm gonna watch the hell out of this series, but I'm tellin' you, there's more than a *few* DM map and reskins!!

There's plenty of cool, interesting, and flat-out weird stuff on Max Doom, but there is quite a lot of grind to get to them, and I hope you are aware of that sir.

Good luck!!

I went in the "doom 2" folder, and you are right! There are a TON of wads that start with dm, or e1m1.

Still going to play through all of them, even if it makes me want to pull my hair out. Gotta stay committed. xD

Really happy to hear you are going to watch it, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!! 😀