Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xanthier

Doom graphics

Hey does anyone know anything about CorelDraw, I just ordered PSP but i was wondering because someone told me that it's just as good.. I know it's not doom related but i want to use it for sprites and such, Thanks.

CorelDraw is GOOD!

That`s what I use to edit textures mostly.
On my second computer I have PSP, but I prefer to work CorelDraw (but maybe that`s just because I`m more used to that).

m0l0t0v said:

CorelDraw is GOOD!

That`s what I use to edit textures mostly.
On my second computer I have PSP, but I prefer to work CorelDraw (but maybe that`s just because I`m more used to that).

Yeah i used to have it, but i got paintshop pro instead just to be safe on Cyrez's recommendation, I'm working on sprites for his RE TC, But thanks anyway.

Edit: Thanks for the tip, deathzor

don't make the pictures in 16 million colours, or it'll be too blurry around the outline.

Hell, what was that one old, old graphics program sprite artists used to use... contained the word "paint." I wanna find that, somebody told me it's perfectly suited for sprites.

About this program you mentioned that contains the word "paint", is it 'Deluxepaint' or something like that? I heard that it is a dos program though.

Well, there's Paint Shop Pro. I still use the good old 16-bit PSP v3.11, because it never expires and does what I need.

There's a much older DOS program I have as well, but for some reason I cannot think of its name at all. It was a REALLY nice program for the period in which it was written -- has a complete Windows-3-style GUI, can use EMS and XMS if you configure it to do so (so no 640k memory limit), handles BMP, PCX, and a couple of other formats I believe, can do color gradients with any tool, including flood fill (this is GREAT for creating SNESish 16 and 256 color graphics), and has a really handy masked pasting feature -- if you change the graphic's background color to (255,255,255) and paste with the option turned on, it doesn't paste over the white areas. PSP 3.11 has no such option and its a real pain.

The only problem with that program is that it uses 0-63 for colors rather than 0-255, so it can round off numbers in your palette. So before I use it, I always save the image's palette in PSP, work in this other program (wish I could remember its name), and then restore the palette later in PSP.

PSP7 is very cheap, around $50, and that gives you 95% of Photoshop's power (with a far slicker interface, too).

Fredrik said:

PSP7 is very cheap, around $50, and that gives you 95% of Photoshop's power (with a far slicker interface, too).

really? it cost me $90, are you sure you don't mean 6?

Xanthier said:

Hey does anyone know anything about CorelDraw, I just ordered PSP but i was wondering because someone told me that it's just as good.. I know it's not doom related but i want to use it for sprites and such, Thanks.

I have CorelDraw. Last time I mentioned CorelDraw, people said it sucks - I dunno, it meets most of my needs, but I know that PSP is better, because it can do certain things that CorelDraw can't.

So if you ask me, you should be happy that you're getting PSP.

dsm said:

I have CorelDraw. Last time I mentioned CorelDraw, people said it sucks - I dunno, it meets most of my needs, but I know that PSP is better, because it can do certain things that CorelDraw can't.

So if you ask me, you should be happy that you're getting PSP.

I got it already, so I hope it meets my needs. thanks

Yeah that's with that rebate, mine had a rebate for $30 but i had to provide proof of ownership of a competitive product :(
I'm gonna try and use the Amazon one because it's not Amazon specific, they have a seperate one, think that'll work? all it says is provide receipt and proof of purchase.

I'm pretty sure I had a copy of the prog Quasar is describing. It had a name that might have been kind of like Deluxe Paint, but it certainly was not DPaint. I never really got into the "mystery" prog though as I was already a hardened DPaint user, and then I moved on to photoshop and PSP. But yes, I do remember something very much like what was described.

I still have DPaint installed, however, and use it every now and again. Even now, it does quite a few things that other painting progs simply don't do. Shame it will only give me a max of 256 colours. A windows version of DPaint with a modern interface and new functionality, but keeping the old stuff too would be great. I have searched around, and tried a quite a few programs, but none did the job in the way I wanted.

I think that the Doom Legacy site links some old program for editing graphics and it states it is good for DOOM editing. That might be it.

Bleu_tiger said:

I've never used coreldraw before. How do you guys think of it? Is the interface abit similiar to photoshop?

Don't have PSP so I don't know about that, but the CorelDraw I have is split up into different programs: CorelPhotopaint (the one that resembles PSP the most I guess), CorelDraw (which is useful for making detailed sketches, but worthless when it comes to coloured pics), CorelTrace and CorelShow (which is pretty useless imo).

I use CorelPhotopaint the most, because it's the one that resembles a typical drawing program the most - you open a new window (after specifying size and colour type), there's a tool box with a number of tools, a brush size box (to determine the size of the "brush" you're painting/drawing with - I usually have it at '0' or '1') and a colour palette.

Ultraviolet said:

Hell, what was that one old, old graphics program sprite artists used to use... contained the word "paint." I wanna find that, somebody told me it's perfectly suited for sprites.

Neo Paint maybe? :P
I got that one, some shareware version. (note: run in Dos of couse)

Torn said:

Neo Paint maybe? :P

Hmmm, yup, I think that was the one I was remembering.

Edit:

If so, it looks like it has been updated over the years...

DOS

http://www.neosoftware.com/np.html

Windows

http://www.neosoftware.com/npw.html

Edit2: Whilst I'm pretty sure that is the prog I was struggling to remember, and therefore, possibly the one Quasar was trying to remember, Deluxe Paint used to be used by loads of graphics people and many games have sprites produced in it. So maybe that is the one Ultraviolet was searching for.

Yeah, Neopaint! How could I forget that?

The little shareware nag in the form of a guy that runs across the screen and holds up that sign that says "Don't forget to register" doesn't work properly when you have a really fast computer ;)

Instead of holding you up for about 10 seconds, he runs across the screen at top speed, you barely see the sign, and then he's gone. Heheheh.

Quasar said:

The little shareware nag in the form of a guy that runs across the screen and holds up that sign that says "Don't forget to register"...

He he. I'd completely forgotten about that little guy. He was a pain on slow computers though.

I remember I paid like 8-9 us$ (50 danish kroner) for neo paint on one diskette.... I have never really used it... :/
Maybe I should try it again... :)