Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Inaudible Trash Talk

[SOLVED] Help! My Doom WADS are Doomed!

Posted (edited)

Well... Not so much as really Doomed for all of Eternity. (See what I did there) I just need help trying to find out what's going on with my GZDoom. I have both Doom and Doom2 wads but it won't pop up the screen of choosing between Doom 1 or Doom 2 or Hexen for that matter. It's permanently fixated on sticking with Doom 2 and I know there is an option to never let the window pop up again but it's never bothered to ask me in the first place. I tried older versions and it never once asked me. Is there something wrong here? Do I have a broken build or just had bad luck upon stumbling into broken or outdated ones?

Delete your config file and it should give you the option, or just move the doom2.wad to somewhere else so it can't find it. I think there is a check box when that pop up comes up that says 'don't show again' or similar

Posted (edited)

I tried looking for a config file but there is no where in sight. When I moved the DOOM wads, the selection screen didn't pop up. It just cut itself straight to Doom 1. So I guess it met me halfway there. And I figured that much, but I never clicked it or checked the box. It just boots itself up straight to the nearest base doom I guess. There's a Wad of Hexen I've been wanting to play but I guess I would have to constantly move the doom and Heretic wads out the folder for it to recognize the Wad.

Edited by Inaudible Trash Talk

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Inaudible Trash Talk said:

Well... Not so much as really Doomed for all of Eternity. (See what I did there) I just need help trying to find out what's going on with my GZDoom. I have both Doom and Doom2 wads but it won't pop up the screen of choosing between Doom 1 or Doom 2 or Hexen for that matter. It's permanently fixated on sticking with Doom 2 and I know there is an option to never let the window pop up again but it's never bothered to ask me in the first place. I tried older versions and it never once asked me. Is there something wrong here? Do I have a broken build or just had bad luck upon stumbling into broken or outdated ones?

1) Open Gzdoom.

2) Press ~ (above the tab key) to bring up the console.

3) Type the following and press enter:

queryiwad true

4) Close GZdoom (which can also be done by typing "exit" without quotes in the console and then pressing Enter).

You should now be able to get the IWAD Selection Menu.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/CVARs:Configuration#queryiwad

The Gzdoom console is your friend, so I recommend reading that entire section.

Also, if the above queryiwad is set to "false", you can toggle the IWAD selection menu with the Shift key when starting Gzdoom.

Edited by Master O

@Master O Thank you guys so much on your help. I've tried @xvertigox's and it did work but for convenience, having to back up my files on the original to test which worked, Master O's did the trick. But regardless of which thank you guys all for your help and helping my doom experience. Cheers! 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Inaudible Trash Talk said:

@Master O Thank you guys so much on your help. I've tried @xvertigox's and it did work but for convenience, having to back up my files on the original to test which worked, Master O's did the trick. But regardless of which thank you guys all for your help and helping my doom experience. Cheers! 

Glad that helped you.  I would recommend keeping that particular console command handy in case you run into that problem again.

Also, if the above queryiwad is set to "false", you can toggle the IWAD selection menu with the Shift key when starting Gzdoom.