Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zayJax

Zandronum vs GZDoom vs zDoom

They're different.

• ZDoom: No longer being developed, so useful for recording ZDoom demos, or if you have a very old PC, but otherwise most people use GZDoom
  • GZDoom: the modern version of ZDoom, notable for its hardware accelerated rendering which ZDoom doesn't have
  • Zandronum: a multiplayer focused fork of GZDoom. Fewer features, but far more robust net code.

So basically for modern ZDoom family engines, GZDoom is for single player, Zandronum is for multiplayer. 

Although of course there are plenty of other non ZDoom family ports that are worth looking at too (Eternity, PrBoom+, Doom Retro, Crispy etc.).

From a performance perspective, you should use Zandronum. It's the absolute fastest port of the three in most computers except on very very modern ones. But if you got a decent computer (Say, a dual-core 2GHz with any GPU that isn't an intel integrated one and is newer than 2008) using GZDoom is perfectly good and you get some more mods.

So, very, very modern starts in 2008? ;)

BTW, the CPU is barely relevant here, the actual limiting factor is pixel fill rate of the GPU, what costs a bit performance here is that modern GZDoom renders to an offscreen buffer which needs to be copied to the screen once. Old and slow graphics cards do not really like that.

Thanks for the support! Now i have decided that Zandronum is the best one because of the more stable code and better perfomance.

;)

I like to play in software mode and in that mode on my system Zandronum deliver noticably the best performance on very busy maps + busy mods for the whole zdoom family.

Can't say for the opengl displays as i don't play with them.