Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nanami

A couple quick, dumb questions.

I'm sure this has been asked only about seventeen quatrillion times, but anyway. I'm new here.

1) How does one put DeHacked files into a wad using DeePsea?
2) How does one do scripts (Legacy or ZDoom) through DeePsea? (I usually use notepad, heh)

If there are easier ways to do either of these than DeePsea (I'm sure there are) feel free to tell me. Thanks.

Nanami said:

I'm sure this has been asked only about seventeen quatrillion times, but anyway. I'm new here.

1) How does one put DeHacked files into a wad using DeePsea?
2) How does one do scripts (Legacy or ZDoom) through DeePsea? (I usually use notepad, heh)

If there are easier ways to do either of these than DeePsea (I'm sure there are) feel free to tell me. Thanks.

I would use wintex 4.3 to put a dehacked file into a wad.

Nanami said:

DeePSea is probably the most versatile all-round DooM editing utility. You ought to learn its many features. However, XWE is an excellent alternative to DeepSea for wad entry management. You can also use it to insert and edit scripts. WadAuthor's interface for scripts is also easy to use, but WadAuthor has no wad entry management capability.

You can find XWE here.

In DeePsea, hit F7

Click Merge-Import multiple files into a PWAD.

Click Open target file and pick the wad you want to put the lump into.

Click add lump files and find your dehacked patch.

(If the patch is called dehacked.deh (or dehacked.txt or dehacked.anything) DeePsea will correctly call the lump dehacked for you. If not... Click rename lump and call it dehacked.)

Click save all files.

The original file will be backed up as (yourfilename).bak and the new file will be written complete with your dehacked lump in it.

If you use Wintex to do it, remember to create a new entry called 'colormap' (it only lets you use original lump names for this), load your patch and the rename the lump to 'dehacked'.

(you'll also notice another lump appears with the same name, delete the one that takes up no space - it's a bug)

Oh, wow! It worked! I've been wondering how to do that since I played, um, what was the name of that really good Legacy wad file? Nimrod. I saw DeHacked in the file and said "Woah, how do you do that?" Thanks guys.

Instead of starting a new thread, this is easier.
Now that I got DeHacked to work, does anyone know how I could do this?
I made a new Baron. I replaced the Candlabra (never use it anyway) and gave it a little more health than a normal Baron. I called it Baron 2. Anyway, I changed the colors so that his hands (and blood) are red instead of green. How, is there a way I could make him shoot red fireballs instead of green ones, while still having the OLD Braon shoot green ones?
Hope I didn't confuse anyone with that. =/

Nanami said:

...is there a way I could make him shoot red fireballs instead of green ones, while still having the OLD Braon shoot green ones?

Don't think so. There are only a limited number of monster attack types, and the Hell Knight and Baron share one. If you make it red for one monster, you make it red for them all. You could make a Baron throw a red attack by giving some other monster produced projectile the characteristics of the baron fireball and then making the code pointer that produces it part of your modified Baron's attack, but then you'd end up affecting the attack of the other monster as well.

Unless someone else can think of some cunning DEH work, this is the kind of thing where you'd need to use DDF in EDGE, Doomscript in Zdoom (when it gets done) or EDF in Eternity (again, when it is done).

Sort of... but not really, since you'd have to make the new baron use a modified attack belonging to another monster, the cacodemon for instance. When clawing the new baron would inflict the caco's damage, so it wouldn't be perfect, and you'd lose the caco.

myk said:

When clawing the new baron would inflict the caco's damage, so it wouldn't be perfect

Good point. I was forgetting about the clawing damage. Still, if you've managed to find a few spare frames, you could make a seperate claw/close attack with a couple of demon bites or revenant punches in it to make a super close attack instead.