Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beast

Gamma Station - single player medium tech-base map

Posted (edited)

Hi doomers

My latest map is now in the wild. Let it wreak havoc! Big thanks to @noisebloom and @Super Mighty G for testing.

Download it from the idgames archive

(note - this replaces map10)

Description: 
A bad feeling runs down your spine as you
scale over the perimeter wall, entering the base. Nobody answered the
doorbell, and comms are down too. You were hoping the base partially
survived the demon onslaught, hoping for a bunk bed and a hot meal. You
prepare to make your way into each of the three underground structures.
Demons beware, hot lead is the only meal you bastards are going to get!

Additional Credits to: 
All of the playtesters that offered excellent
criticisms and advice: noisebloom for the detailed ammo and monster
balancing notes, and Super Mighty G for the FDA. Your feedback were
invaluable.

Style     : Exploratory
Theme     : Tech-base with hellish elements. Stock vanilla textures only
Difficulty: All skills implemented
Game      : DOOM2, limit removing port required
Map #     : Map10
Mode      : Single Player
May Not 
Run With  : doom2.exe and Chocolate Doom (gives visplane overflows)
Tested    : PrBoom-Plus 2.5.1.4 / Crispy Doom 5.1
Play time : ~15 to 30 minutes
Jumping   : No
Crouching : No
Freelook  : No / not required
Spoiler

gammasta_r1_1.png.43b437c40564ad9d5f3788f39b976b03.pnggammasta_r1_2.png.ee7904b3b2182bc574b56080adcf1888.pnggammasta_r1_3.png.c9ed1967258f33bbb2fb012b8b75991f.pnggammasta_r1_4.png.86e72d2f703fcae583e4aeaee72e67a5.pnggammasta_r1_5.png.db6f8bd62d3c1366ae6eb69314bfc943.pnggammasta_r1_6.png.51fabb3530411479afc933d9c934cc88.png

gammasta_r1_7.png.515f2799eac01a1794f687c8c44035be.pnggammasta_r1_8.png.a48bf0b0b7dd7d378e033d6b6c2611fa.png

Edited by beast : final release update + screenshots

3 minutes ago, noisebloom said:

Just wanna mention that this was a great map, and I think this would be a great one for the usual suspects (@Magicana, @Suitepee, etc) and others to check out!

Despite the dodgy tag I still saw this. I'll check it out when I'm home from work 

- Some cute ideas here -- favorites include the quirky compblue/fireblu room, and the metal switch maze.

- Gameplay is quite corner-campy. The base is rife with hitscanners, and the layout is dense in halls and doorways, so there is much peekaboo. Sometimes it works, the metal maze in particular, its high concept and eeriness holding it aloft, but the unerring use of this mode can be tiresome.

- Amusing use of barrels. Early on a shotgunner blew itself up on that central hub.

- The layout is really primitive. Areas are predominantly boxy, and connected via hallways and doors (even a four-directional hubspoke). I feel that is overused as a critique -- the problem is often rooted elsewhere, such as a lack of any design ideas at all, but you have enough of those. 

- I liked how the start area has been subjected to a nukage spill upon your return.

- The misalignments, of tekgreen especially, aren't so great. This map strikes me as being more in the early 2000s postcard style -- cozy areas, low ceilings, modest structure, mid detail -- than in the freer '90s vanilla, and a relative degree of cleanliness and polish would be more befitting, in this case. 

49 minutes ago, noisebloom said:

Just wanna mention that this was a great map, and I think this would be a great one for the usual suspects (@Magicana @Suitepee, etc) and others to check out!

I've added this to my next playtesting stream list.

7 hours ago, rdwpa said:

- The layout is really primitive. Areas are predominantly boxy, and connected via hallways and doors (even a four-directional hubspoke). 

Yup, I struggle to create non-boxy layouts. Maybe I need to make some experimental maps to practice...

7 hours ago, rdwpa said:

- Gameplay is quite corner-campy. The base is rife with hitscanners, and the layout is dense in halls and doorways, so there is much peekaboo. Sometimes it works, the metal maze in particular, its high concept and eeriness holding it aloft, but the unerring use of this mode can be tiresome.

I do overuse the ambush flag, using more free-roaming monsters is on my list of things to practice.

Thanks for playing and the great feedback @rdwpa

Here it is:

Hopefully my sniffles don't come through audibly. I'm going to blame that head cold on why I died so often.

Had two deaths before I started using saves (Second death was me trying to speed through and absolutely paying for it).

I spent most of the map praying for health (I also broke the map getting the soulsphere - Whoops) - With the shotgunners, you need to rely a little bit too much on luck to get through.

It is a little blocky, but I don't mind that.

Ammo was very finely tuned - I would have liked a few more bullets, but I also missed the plasma gun secret with 200 cells that would have fixed my ammo woes (I poked around in Doombuilder after playing to see how things worked).

Just saw Magicana's gameplay, thought you used some sector colors on the blue, my mistake. Very nice design overall, I really liked the little windows who closes with the enemies behind them that is a very nice idea. 

Cheers!

Really liked the lighting in this map, nothing else worth mentioning comes to mind that has not already been said by others. Good stuff

Here is my gameplay video. I was really lucky that i didn't die even tho that was really close couple times. Also the secrets i found was really helpful with that

21 hours ago, Magicana said:

Had two deaths before I started using saves (Second death was me trying to speed through and absolutely paying for it).

I spent most of the map praying for health (I also broke the map getting the soulsphere - Whoops) - With the shotgunners, you need to rely a little bit too much on luck to get through.

@Magicana great play-through, I really enjoyed it. I am glad you saved because watching someone else play makes me aware of how large the map really is. You deserved that soulsphere especially since you broke that secret, good job! thanks a bunch for recording this 💀

19 hours ago, Casketkrusher said:

Just saw Magicana's gameplay, thought you used some sector colors on the blue, my mistake. Very nice design overall, I really liked the little windows who closes with the enemies behind them that is a very nice idea.  

Yea I'm stuck in the 90's not using sector colours, but I am glad it gave a similar impression, thanks. I got the idea of the moving windows from Doom2 map04 "The Focus". The heightened contrast makes the enemies visible only for short periods to create tension.

@Matias you really made good use of the rocket launcher, and I really enjoyed watching that play-through. The small things you only notice when somebody else plays your map - like which panels are tried for secret doors and how you enter a room differently by angle or speed. Thanks for recording!

On 8/10/2019 at 1:45 AM, Suitepee said:

I play this at 2:02:55 into this playtest livestream. A pretty good map overall.

I am glad you liked the nukage spill. The first switch is not intended to be so hidden, it (and a couple others) should be more visible, which I will do in the next update. I took note of the other things from the recording too. You certainly handled that ssg well enough, great game!