Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Casketkrusher

My second attempt at map making.

I've managed to finish my second map for my megawad Condemned To Eternity. This one was a challenges because I have not the biggest knowledge yet at making maps so this outdoor area was a pain in the bud, I actually had to start from scratch becauce I messed up during the final stages, bummer! But I've managed to finish it! I'm curious about your feedback, I also changed the first map a bit. Tested with GZDoom no jumping. Boom doesnt work on this. 

Cheers!

MAP01 - Condemned

1165237860_Screenshot(1).png.6fc0e9116ca9ae4f25321f6bb369371c.png1966117836_Screenshot(2).png.d2887dd4ec715d11a72b5d6ce7deeb74.png1948322747_Screenshot(3).png.cf233c504b4c206867a2ad7183615302.png831892419_Screenshot(4).png.ebffaff26ba099410543b62025d6659b.png1547134674_Screenshot(5).png.a43c7ff5d05b0c70726dcc3d86eb23ca.png1359491962_Screenshot(6).png.d18923775697e88831c702ce77026cca.png1160991992_Screenshot(7).png.f7e399ba812759d0dd8ea49eacc8bda3.png2006571834_Screenshot(8).png.5db75df1ecffe5a1ecf1e40ca679a23e.png852931518_Screenshot(9).png.10def026a3e3c54c883dbe1aa8f46130.png840289773_Screenshot(10).png.e1bed38c8dc9ba5b5eb572c781241379.png211295202_Screenshot(11).png.9db16a55068bf020005befda04e26201.png469994555_Screenshot(12).png.617b326b4fe6ac73b41181bbe615be4f.png243613565_Screenshot(13).png.c4e40c3559267d43eabdbb3c201377b0.png

MAP02 - Damnation

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jy4481o2b3ylq2/Doom - Condemned To Eternity.rar?dl=0

Screenshot - MAP02 - Damnation (1).png

Screenshot - MAP02 - Damnation (2).png

Screenshot - MAP02 - Damnation (3).png

Screenshot - MAP02 - Damnation (4).png

Screenshot - MAP02 - Damnation (5).png

Screenshot - MAP02 - Damnation (6).png

Screenshot - MAP02 - Damnation (7).png

Screenshot - MAP02 - Damnation (8).png

Screenshot - MAP02 - Damnation (9).png

Screenshot - MAP02 - Damnation (10).png

Screenshot - MAP02 - Damnation (11).png

Screenshot - MAP02 - Damnation (12).png

Screenshot - MAP02 - Damnation (13).png

Screenshot - MAP02 - Damnation (14).png

Screenshot - MAP02 - Damnation (15).png

Screenshot - MAP02 - Damnation (16).png

Screenshot - MAP02 - Damnation (17).png

Screenshot - MAP02 - Damnation (18).png

Edited by Casketkrusher

That website set my anti-virus alarms ringing. Depending on file size, you can just zip and attach the file through Doomworld itself.

9 minutes ago, Magicana said:

That website set my anti-virus alarms ringing. Depending on file size, you can just zip and attach the file through Doomworld itself.

I used a dropbox link. My post is updated :)

Gotta admit this is a pretty fun map! Only 3 maps so far (Or rather 2 maps and some weird demo map occupying slot MAP02). The detail in this map-pack is pretty good and looks well made. I do have some very minor gripes, most notably the fact that on MAP03 some of the linedefs were a little wonky (according to GZ's Dev console some linedefs weren't connected?) as well as that Arachnotron trap... Not a fan... I was lucky in killing it with very little damage but if luck wasn't on my side that'd sting.

Overall though I don't have much to complain about... 9.75/10 (Omg amma using the quarters :o)

24 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Gotta admit this is a pretty fun map! Only 3 maps so far (Or rather 2 maps and some weird demo map occupying slot MAP02). The detail in this map-pack is pretty good and looks well made. I do have some very minor gripes, most notably the fact that on MAP03 some of the linedefs were a little wonky (according to GZ's Dev console some linedefs weren't connected?) as well as that Arachnotron trap... Not a fan... I was lucky in killing it with very little damage but if luck wasn't on my side that'd sting.

Overall though I don't have much to complain about... 9.75/10 (Omg amma using the quarters :o)

Thank you, yes I've noticed this as well, especally with curved linedefs. They are all connected though. Sometimes it happens more often. Don't know why. Should have a deep look into it :) the wad you downloaded I didn't save the map info correctly. It is fixed now. 

Had a playthrough of map02 (In slot 03)

I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the map - The mood lighting, music, etc, are all really good. I also found a ton of secrets so go me.

Progression was a little weird at first - I flicked most of those skull/grave switches and I presume they did something because they're all tagged as doing something, but I don't know what. I flicked them mainly because it's Doom and you flick switches. However I mostly always knew where to go.

Monster use also felt kind of set-piece - I'd perform an action and monsters would teleport in. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but it did make the map feel a little empty at times (By the way, that isn't inherently a negative element to mapping either).

My only other criticism would be that I fell in an inescapable nukage pit and I'm not sure it was meant to be inescapable - I jumped out because I didn't want to redo the level, but maybe some kind of lift would be handy.

1 hour ago, Magicana said:

Had a playthrough of map02 (In slot 03)

I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the map - The mood lighting, music, etc, are all really good. I also found a ton of secrets so go me.

Progression was a little weird at first - I flicked most of those skull/grave switches and I presume they did something because they're all tagged as doing something, but I don't know what. I flicked them mainly because it's Doom and you flick switches. However I mostly always knew where to go.

Monster use also felt kind of set-piece - I'd perform an action and monsters would teleport in. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but it did make the map feel a little empty at times (By the way, that isn't inherently a negative element to mapping either).

My only other criticism would be that I fell in an inescapable nukage pit and I'm not sure it was meant to be inescapable - I jumped out because I didn't want to redo the level, but maybe some kind of lift would be handy.

Those switches was intentionally, I wanted to confuse the player. There's one switch which lowers the wall in the second graveyard the rest does nothing. The nukage pit was also intended, if you fall you died. Maybe I can put a lift in there I know it can be frustrating to die in a nukage pit. And I still don't know why those linedefs don't work sometimes. It gives a weird visual effect, also noticed I made the secrets a bit more noticable with different textures. The one with the switch kills a Hell Knight in the tech base. It's kind of a bonus for not fighting him. There's a crusher thats why you saw the bloody mess. And in reward you get some shotty shells. Too bad you didn't find the most exiting secret. It has a great view of the entire map. Again, thank you for playing!

1 minute ago, Casketkrusher said:

Those switches was intentionally, I wanted to confuse the player. There's one switch which lowers the wall in the second graveyard the rest does nothing. The nukage pit was also intended, if you fall you died. Maybe I can put a lift in there I know it can be frustrating to die in a nukage pit. And I still don't know why those linedefs don't work sometimes. It gives a weird visual effect, also noticed I made the secrets a bit more noticable with different textures. The one with the switch kills a Hell Knight in the tech base. It's kind of a bonus for not fighting him. There's a crusher thats why you saw the bloody mess. And in reward you get some shotty shells. Too bad you didn't find the most exiting secret. It has a great view of the entire map. Again, thank you for playing!

Was that the secret with the plasma gun? I saw it up high while I was playing and was hoping I'd find it, but no luck.

2 hours ago, Magicana said:

Was that the secret with the plasma gun? I saw it up high while I was playing and was hoping I'd find it, but no luck.

Yes, I was surprised you didn't find it though. 

Ok, so this is getting a bit untidy. You now have two threads to update with the same new maps, and none of them is named after your mappack. Maybe rename one of them "Condemned to Eternity" and focus on that one.

Also, every time you release a new map, you don't link to that single map, but to the updated mappack, containing all the previous ones. My suggestion: until all the maps are ready, just upload them separately, not as a pack.

Btw, are they meant as pistol starts or continous play?

The files are quite large. Is it because of the music tracks? What format are they?

That said, I'm glad you already got a third map. They're great so far (went through the second map yesterday, gonna check the third soon) and I await the rest.

11 hours ago, Yebudoom said:

Ok, so this is getting a bit untidy. You now have two threads to update with the same new maps, and none of them is named after your mappack. Maybe rename one of them "Condemned to Eternity" and focus on that one.

Also, every time you release a new map, you don't link to that single map, but to the updated mappack, containing all the previous ones. My suggestion: until all the maps are ready, just upload them separately, not as a pack.

Btw, are they meant as pistol starts or continous play?

The files are quite large. Is it because of the music tracks? What format are they?

That said, I'm glad you already got a third map. They're great so far (went through the second map yesterday, gonna check the third soon) and I await the rest.

Thank you I will make one thread. I was planning for a mappack so that's why I updated my wad. The maps are all pistol start beatable but they get increasingly harder each stage. I'm at this point that Hell Knights, Cacos and Chaingunners are the main enemies. More traps in each map and even more secrets with great rewards. The music files are Ogg Vorbis. Full tracks by Hodges. Got them from his BandCamp page. I also used PS1 graphics and textures which replaces the original Doom 2 textures. If you have any tips for me feel free to say so.

Cheers.