Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
slayermbm

Game mutes when setting the music volume bar all the way down

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I have noticed this specific problem on past versions of Eternity Engine and the newest ones, including the 4.0 release (Völuspá) and the drd team site builds (I'm currently using the x64 07-21-2019 build).

 

When I set the music volume bar on the lowest position, every sound in the game mutes, not only the music. Maxing the sfx volume bar does nothing.

 

Then, when changing the music volume up even one position, sounds return.

 

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I also find that the music volume is way too high and the sfx sounds are way too quiet when comparing them on similar settings.

 

This problem persists even if I close and open the executable again. Currently testing with Doom 2.

 

Edit: just to mention that I'm currently on Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC x64. I believe I already experienced this on Windows 7 SP1 x64 too.

Edited by slayermbm

Share this post


Link to post

@Altazimuth thanks man, that actually works with the latest version!

 

Shouldn't this file be included in the daily builds?

 

Also, sorry, I was wrong, the sound actually works correctly using the official release.

Share this post


Link to post

That sounds very strange. Recently i use latest devbuilds x86 without midiproc.exe and never had any problems with sound or music (Windows XP). I guess midiproc is bundled with Eternity.exe?

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Loud Silence said:

That sounds very strange. Recently i use latest devbuilds x86 without midiproc.exe and never had any problems with sound or music (Windows XP). I guess midiproc is bundled with Eternity.exe?

The issue is not present in Windows XP, because that's before MS jacked up MIDI output, and sound, in general.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, kb1 said:

because that's before MS jacked up MIDI output, and sound, in general.

Maybe we should use a portable (packaged with Eternity) MIDI sound font instead of rely on broken music drivers? It would also sound predictable across all platforms if it's packaged.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, printz said:

Maybe we should use a portable (packaged with Eternity) MIDI sound font instead of rely on broken music drivers? It would also sound predictable across all platforms if it's packaged.

Scc1t2.sf2 is actually MS GS Wavetable in soundfont format and is small, slightly over 3MB. It's best choice in terms of instruments' balance. Also OPL synth with high polyphony (if it's possible) would be awesome.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×