Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mewse

Godspeed, Little Plane...

NoPoet said:

So, you weren't paying attention when American films such as The Patriot, Pearl Harbour and U-571 died in the UK cinemas. Each of these films drastically altered actual events in order to make the Americans look more heroic, and in Patriot and U-571 this was heavily at the expense of the British. Then there's Saving Private Ryan which has a cryptic reference to the RAF being unable to do their jobs when in the real thing, horrendous weather conditions prevented them from supporting the beach landings. The Patriot is reviled as anti-British. So was Titanic to some extent. Braveheart was funded by the Americans.

I cringed during U-571, because I knew the actual story of the Enigma: that it was obtained by Polish commandoes and smuggled into England where they cracked it at Bletchley.

The BALLS of it all! At the end of U-571, it says "These events are loosely based of the heroic actions of the crew of the following ships:"

*Every* ship was prefixed with "HMS" as in "Her Majesty's Ship".. Gawd..

Er...eh? Mewse, the Enigma machine was stolen by the British Navy! Are you joking, or do you mean it?

DOOM Anomaly said:

Yes...

...Now say it's funny...Say it!! **Shakes Fist** :P

It's very funny, and original but it's Doom humor, unless you played Doom, it probably wouldn't appeal to you, I enjoy it alot...the expresions are great, the storyline, the characters personality's are not waht you'd expect, the list goes on.
and yes about the size thing, he's right, it's called sexual dimorphism and it's common in almost every species.

Xanthier said:

It's very funny, and original but it's Doom humor, unless you played Doom, it probably wouldn't appeal to you, I enjoy it alot...the expresions are great, the storyline, the characters personality's are not waht you'd expect, the list goes on.
and yes about the size thing, he's right, it's called sexual dimorphism and it's common in almost every species.

Hence the ":P" indicates that I was only joking and wasn't serious at all, It doesn't effect me if you think This was funny or not cause every1 has their own opinions.

DOOM Anomaly said:

Hence the ":P" indicates that I was only joking and wasn't serious at all, It doesn't effect me if you think This was funny or not cause every1 has their own opinions.

Sorry, I wan't even meaning to quote you, but the guy who didn't like the comics...and I was explaining why I found it funny, so on...

Xanthier said:

Sorry, I wan't even meaning to quote you, but the guy who didn't like the comics...and I was explaining why I found it funny, so on...

I see that, I was just stating that if there is a ":P" in any of my posts (or many peoples posts for that matter) then they are intended on being a joke and not serious, But for my case, that is for all my posts, regardless of a ":P" or not. :P

NoPoet said:

Er...eh? Mewse, the Enigma machine was stolen by the British Navy! Are you joking, or do you mean it?

Actually yeah, you're right, the British did steal an Enigma from a U-Boat.. twice actually, the Americans did it once from what I've read.. however this is what I was referring to:

"During mid-July 1939, Chief-of-Staff Lt.-Gen. Waclaw Stachiewicz, authorized the Ciphers Office to share all their knowledge on Enigma with the Allied intelligence services. The Allied representatives in France and England received Polish-made clones of the Enigma encryption machine during the a meeting in Warsaw between 24 and 26 July, 1939. On 16 August 1939, General Stewart Menzies was given a copy of an Enigma at the Victoria Station in London. The British began to read Enigma messages in mid-August, 1939."

http://webhome.idirect.com/~jproc/crypto/enigs1.html

DOOM Anomaly said:

I see that, I was just stating that if there is a ":P" in any of my posts (or many peoples posts for that matter) then they are intended on being a joke and not serious

I thought :P and :p were meant to indicate a pulled tongue; i.e. that you are being slightly rude to someone in a joking sort of way.

Grazza said:

I thought :P and :p were meant to indicate a pulled tongue; i.e. that you are being slightly rude to someone in a joking sort of way.

Well, when I do it, it means its a joke or a pun of some sort and shouldnt really be taken seriously.

mewse said:

The British began to read Enigma messages in mid-August, 1939.

This ties in with the England chess team (which included three of the Bletchley Park code-crackers) being ordered to return from Buenos Aires as soon as war was declared.

mewse said:

*Every* ship was prefixed with "HMS" as in "Her Majesty's Ship".. Gawd..

Nitpick: That would have been "His Majesty's Ship" at the time.

Grazza said:

Nitpick: That would have been "His Majesty's Ship" at the time.

are you saying i'm wrong?

Grazza said:

Afaik, :P (or :-P as I do it) indicates a tongue hanging out the side of the mouth, meaning that you're making a slightly lame joke.

Funny, this topic has suddenly been expanded to also be about how shitty Hollywood movies are and how over-patriotic the American movies are.

Funny, this topic has suddenly been expanded to also be about how shitty Hollywood movies are and how over-patriotic the American movies are.

Sorry, I've got something of a talent for dragging conversations onto alternative lines. ;)

NoPoet said:

Erm...am I the only one who doesn't find the comic strips funny? Where is the humour in an Imp throwing square fireballs? Why are all the Cacodemons tiny?

It sure as hell seems that way. =) I want more Greenpile! Gimme more! MORE!!

P.S. I don't care if your sense of humor is different, etc. You're one of the many that lives on Earth; I try not to judge. For that matter, nobody else should care. Hell, people go up to me and tell me all the time that my sense of humor is very "unique" and "dark"... In my book, everyone is either a doom/doom2 wad maker, doomer, non-doomer, or a combination of the first two.

Grazza said:

OK, I didn't realize there was a distinction between :p and :P.
The latter isn't mentioned at http://www.doomworld.com/vb/misc.php?s=&action=showsmilies.

There isn't a distinction, it was just my interpretation of the smilie - didn't know that there was a table of meanings for smilies on this site. Guess my interpretation is wrong.
Holy crap, that means that whenever someone uses the :P/:p smilie they're being rude, because sticking out your tongue at people is rude!

I think this is bordering on trolling.

[utterly sarcastic]Yes, I came to Doomworld to annoy people.[/utterly sarcastic]

Lost Soul said:

I think this is bordering on trolling.

Just take a look at his reviews.

NoPoet: A troll uses annoyance to gain attention, it's the means, not the end.

myk said:

Just take a look at his reviews.

NoPoet: A troll uses annoyance to gain attention, it's the means, not the end.

The End Justifys the means...

Just take a look at his reviews. NoPoet: A troll uses annoyance to gain attention, it's the means, not the end.

So people are implying that my reviews are lacking in some respects? As I've been urging people, if you've got a problem with my reviews, tell me what those problems are, otherwise I can't do anything and won't even worry about it. If you're just trying to hurt my feelings...er, why?

I don't like to think that I am annoying people. But it seems I'm getting on peoples' nerves because I don't agree with everything everyone says. Where I come from, this is called "individuality", not "trolling".

I don't see that you're getting on anyone's nerves, nor do I see anyone here agreeing with everything everyone else says.

What's this "individuality" you speak of, by the way? And I thought discourse was a shared interaction...