Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sultan

New to speedrun

Hello everyone, I'm new to the speedrun genre and I would like to know where to get the game and what version of the game I need:)? (doom 1/2)
Plus any tips,guides will help too 

Doom v1.9. I think you can buy the game from steam and you get the DOOM/DOOM2.wad files.

If you want to play high variety of WADs/maps, use PrBoom+ as your source port. I think it is not so newcomer friendly source port, but at the same time it has the most amount of different features etc.

Crispydoom/chocolatedoom should be very good and easy to use sourceport for speedrunning WADs/maps that do not have any fancy new features.

Once you have sourceport picked and WAD bought, make a shortcut out of prboom+.exe or crispydoom.exe and have parameters like this written:

crispy-doom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -skill 4 -file HR2final.wad -record mydemo

Here "-iwad doom2.wad" uses Doom 2 as the game for the source port. -skill 4 is the ultra-violence difficulty (5=nightmare, 1 = im too young to die). -file HR2final.wad uses the custom WAD with 32 new levels from the HR2final.wad known as Hell Revealed 2. -record mydemo will records a demo file with a name "mydemo" in your sourceport folder. This -record is very important parameter because it affects tiny bit on how the game works. But just enough to make many of the tricks known in speedrunning A LOT MORE EASY. Don't try to perform ANY tricks without -record parameter. Always record a demofile while practicing.

I don't recommend reading the Doom Movement Bible, yet. It has very technical and useful information but just not for newcomers.

I was just about to post a similar topic before discovering this one.

On 7/22/2019 at 10:43 AM, kraflab said:

If you go with prboom+, then this write-up might also be useful: https://dsdarchive.com/guides/prboom_plus

Could you elaborate on the importance of the -shorttics and -longtics parameters? I appreciate it.

2 hours ago, NerdyButLazy said:

Could you elaborate on the importance of the -shorttics and -longtics parameters? I appreciate it.

-shorttics has lower turning resolution and -longtics has higher turning resolution. If you in put both in Pr/GLBoom+ and turn your mouse slowly, then you'll see you can turn more precisely in -longtics while you can clearly see you're skipping quite some pixels in -shorttics.

If you're recording a demo, you are using -shorttics, but I guess -shorttics is just a standard for recording demos or such. However, because of the low turning resolution, you're easier to aim at the right angle for glides.

IIRC, you have to set your -complevel to -1 if you want to record in -longtics, which makes the behavior of the game a little bit different, and it seems according to dsdarchive, wrong -complevel is not qualified for valid demos.

Edited by GarrettChan

2 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

-shorttics has lower turning resolution and -longtics has higher turning resolution. If you in put both in Pr/GLBoom+ and turn your mouse slowly, then you'll see you can turn more precisely in -longtics while you can clearly see you're skipping quite some pixels in -shorttics.

If you're recording a demo, you are using -shorttics, but I guess -shorttics is just a standard for recording demos or such. However, because of the low turning resolution, you're easier to aim at the right angle for glides.

IIRC, you have to set your -complevel to -1 if you want to record in -longtics, which makes the behavior of the game a little bit different, and it seems according to dsdarchive, wrong -complevel is not qualified for valid demos.

Good to know! So basically, if you're a speed runner in training, you'd probably wanna play with the appropriate -complevel and -shorttics at all times, even when not recording.

14 minutes ago, NerdyButLazy said:

Good to know! So basically, if you're a speed runner in training, you'd probably wanna play with the appropriate -complevel and -shorttics at all times, even when not recording.

Correct. When you're recording, your movement will be "shorttics" by default as recording only works with low resolution turning. But yes, if you're practicing (and not recording) then using -shorttics will help keep your environment identical to a real run!

Do note that in some source ports, recording won't let you use save/loads, which you will probably want to use a lot when you're practicing a trick or part of a map. So that's where the -shorttics mostly comes into play.

1 hour ago, NerdyButLazy said:

Yes. I usually have shortcuts for -complevel 2, 3, 4, 9 and 11 with -shorttics written with it, so when I casually play Doom, I'm in the same environment of doing a run. -shorttics is weird at the beginning, so it takes quite a bit of time to get used to it. BTW, welcome to the biggest hole in the world ;P

You can set it always to use -shorttics via the cfg, so you never need to worry about it again. That will work for regular play and recording (though obviously not playback).

BTW, for -complevel 9 (and 11) it will always use -shorttics for recording even if you tell it to use -longtics, since Boom and MBF didn't offer this possibility, and Andrey wisely decided against creating new incompatible demo types.