Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kain

getting redhat linux, what disks are needed??

well i decided to get linux, redhat linux. but something is confusing me.

what the hell are all those disks for????
whitch ones are far more important??? cus there are like 5 of them mofo,s.

i was thinking about making a doom deathmatch server.

there is usually an install core disk, extended software disks, and a support disk.
essentially, only one disk should be needed, but I'm no RH expert.
go to one of the RH or LinuxNewbie sites to get answers like this.
gl.

yah i know but i wanted to know from someone who has redhat linux.
but the websight doesnt give me any help.

really you only need a basic edition. dont spend $50 for the server and commercial shit that you will never use. unless you are makeing a server and want that stuff.

you will want to make a list of your hardware, and a good detailed list too. i learned this the hard way. one thing to really check is the modem. if it says "for win95/98/me/2000/xp" srcap that modem or any hardware that says that. also a number of so called full hardware modems are also in some odd way controllerless. make a list of chipsets and numbers with chip sets, versions of card/chip. type(ISA,PCI,AGP) other helpfull things such as network seting, if any. also sound cards can be a bit troubling. if you got new hardware, like last few months, wait untill the next release of LINUX. ALSO if you dont know much about computers, learn about them first. LINUX can be in many ways friendly towards newbies, however many spots will still kick ur ass(even if u know what the hell you are doing) it takes time to learn LINUX

so the first two for like gnome and some basic stuff???

its not going to have anything i dont want.

i have a tnt2, pentium2, soundblaster card, and some other network cards.

i have a bunch of network cards. and i do mean allot.

thats about it.

ok your hardware should give u little problem. but you still may need the nvidia TNT2 driver after install. Also i recomend useing KDE. I never have like knome that much even when it was the first one i used. however i would learn them all. once agian if u use a modem beware

How can you not want to join the borg cube that is windows?...resistance is futile...

oh yeh...microshaft sucks and i bet bill gates swims around in money like scrooge mcduck.

Seriously though. I was thinking about getting linux (not really, but sorta yet cuz microsoft cares not for it's customers)...but, really, how much software can you really get for it? What games are linux compatible? I'm assuming zdoom and zdaemon are if you want to start a server.

Some of the disks are important, the rest is free stuff.

I could imagine Billy leaping headfirst into a pool of money, and then snapping his neck upon impact against a compressed layer of 100 dollar bills and Sacajawea Dollars.

well i will get it working and yes, there are many games out for linux. but since most people dont have it, you will only probly find homebrew games for it.

yay i got redhat and the install was extrremly breezy. all in all it took about 2 houres ( slow cdrom ) and when it got done, it asked what res i wanted and how many colors and i rebooted only to find kde booting up after i type in my password. cool. last linux i used, i had to type in kde or go to the director. cool as hell.

o yah, the network setup is extreemly easy, but youll have to know what your doing.

Quast said:

oh yeh...microshaft sucks and i bet bill gates swims around in money like scrooge mcduck.

Yes, he swims around in the money that he doesn't give to charity. You know, Bill Gates isn't as bad as people say he is, it is the other people that run his company that are the bad ones.

bigbadgangsta said:

You know, Bill Gates isn't as bad as people say he is, it is the other people that run his company that are the bad ones.

Lies. He's the boss, he's guilty for all their crap.