Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Viewing Hexen scripts

How does one go about looking at the scripts in Hexen.wad? I cannot figure it out.

I don't think the scripts are in the WAD as uncompiled lumps, but you use DeePsea don't you? If so, hit F6 whilst editing the map you are interested in and click "Decompile BEHAVIOR". DeePsea will do a very fine job of decompiling the script and saving it for you.

I just took a look at the scripts for just map01, and they're quite complex. Thanks guys. :)

Enjay said:

If so, hit F6 whilst editing the map you are interested in ...

"Whilst" -- that shows class. :)

Tarin, F6 brings up the menu which includes the script decompiler button.

Nigel, I was surprised to see that WadAuthor also has an internal decompiler. I opened hexen.wad with it, right clicked in void, selected scripts and voila, there they were, including a message that since hexen.wad contained no "scripts" lump, WA had decompiled the behavior lump.

Biffy said:

Nigel, I was surprised to see that WadAuthor also has an internal decompiler.

Hmmm... Interesting. How does it cope with Zdoom stuff, particularly the newer commands and things like spawn names for items?

I tried a few older command line utils a while back (before Jack did his stuff with DeePsea) and they would provide fairly meaningless output for any newer commands. Some would even refuse to process the script, or get as far as the unknown command and stop output at that point (thereby giving you an incomplete script).

Enjay said:

Hmmm... Interesting. How does it cope with Zdoom stuff, particularly the newer commands and things like spawn names for items?

I tried a few older command line utils a while back (before Jack did his stuff with DeePsea) and they would provide fairly meaningless output for any newer commands. Some would even refuse to process the script, or get as far as the unknown command and stop output at that point (thereby giving you an incomplete script).

As long as you have the ZDoom config file and the latest version (1.21) of acc.exe, it works fine. You should be able to get them from here.

Ultimate DooMer said:

As long as you have the ZDoom config file and the latest version (1.21) of acc.exe, it works fine. You should be able to get them from here.

I can't get it to work. When I used WA on Hexen.wad, it was somehow able to decompile the scripts and I'm beginning to think that John Williston hard coded that into WA. I deleted the scripts lump from a recent zdoom wad, leaving the behavior lump, and WA did not decompile it, just listed some default korax stuff from Hexen.

Ultimate DooMer said:

Where have I been? Living in some cave? Where can I get version 1.21... oh wow... oh man... *smacks himself* and all this time I was using 1.15? No wonder I couldn't get hubmessaging and the such to work... but seriously, on the zdoom page, I thought I only saw up to, "Version 1.13"

Biffy said:

I can't get it to work. When I used WA on Hexen.wad, it was somehow able to decompile the scripts and I'm beginning to think that John Williston hard coded that into WA. I deleted the scripts lump from a recent zdoom wad, leaving the behavior lump, and WA did not decompile it, just listed some default korax stuff from Hexen.

The korax stuff appears because the default.acs file is used for ZDoom as well as Hexen (ie. no special ZDoom one). I'm not sure about why it doesn't decompile, maybe it's because the wad you tried wasn't built with WA. Or maybe it doesn't support this with ZDoom. (since it's so much newer than the latest version of WA)

There are also some internal commands that will not appear in the common files.