Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
seed

Hexen Community WADs

Wow, I'm actually making a new topic in... forever.

Jokes aside, after growing increasingly dissatisfied with Heretic as a game overall I was thinking about trying some Hexen WADs instead. The problem is, I have no idea what kind of WADs are out there. I've heard about a few such as Necrosis, Scourge of Viscerus, and A New World, but I did not manage to find any of them.

Do you have any recommendations folks?

Edited by seed

There's also the prequel of A New World, called Tower of Chaos. You might also check Caldera and Centromere (this one is incomplete, sadly)

Looks like someone didn't enjoy Wayfarer either. I know u are not looking for Heretic wads, but I still recommend giving Faithless a quick try. It is very Hexen'y (in terms of asthetics, level design, hub system, presence of some Hexen monsters etc.) so u might end up liking it.

4 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Looks like someone didn't enjoy Wayfarer either. I know u are not looking for Heretic wads, but I still recommend giving Faithless a quick try. It is very Hexen'y (in terms of asthetics, level design, hub system, presence of some Hexen monsters etc.) so u might end up liking it.

Faithless is on my list for a long time, so it's going to happen eventually :p .

Also no, I actually had much more fun with Wayfarer than I ever did with the base game, it's just that it does seem like it's just not really working for me. I think Hexen is where I can mostly feel in my element.

5 minutes ago, seed said:

Faithless is on my list for a long time, so it's going to happen eventually :p .

Also no, I actually had much more fun with Wayfarer than I ever did with the base game, it's just that it does seem like it's just not really working for me. I think Hexen is where I can mostly feel in my element.

You certainly didn't enjoy that last room in map 7 or most of map 8.

9 minutes ago, Ichor said:

You certainly didn't enjoy that last room in map 7 or most of map 8.

Seems like someone stopped by today.

But yes, that final room kinda killed my excitement for the wad honestly, in addition to the inventory system (which yes, is mostly the same in Hexen, but it's just not fun to scroll through the inventory when 100+ enemies surround the player when the hotkeys don't work... ). That's also when I realized how awkward some weapons are when powered up by a Tome. Maybe it's just me being too bad at the game to have much fun with it, but even so, the process of learning doesn't sound exciting either. I think Heretic simply isn't my cup of tea. I've had much more fun with Hexen and its expansions. But the fact that I had much more fun with Wayfarer than I ever had with the base game as a whole still stands, even though I eventually hit a dead end.

E1M8 was pretty much where I gave up so I just put godmode to see what the map was like and then moved on with my life.

24 minutes ago, seed said:

Just as a side note, if you prefer the way Wayfarer is balanced, the Wayfarer's Tome mod lets you play almost any Heretic map with the gameplay rebalance. From what I understand, Faithless is compatible, but I haven't tested it myself yet.

Whenever you do get to XUMP, you'll eventually come to Stagnum Ignis, which is a massive map where you will be doing a lot of running back and forth between the two almost identical sides looking for switches and trying to figure out what switches need to be hit in which order. It can be real frustrating at times.

10 minutes ago, Ichor said:

Whenever you do get to XUMP, you'll eventually come to Stagnum Ignis, which is a massive map where you will be doing a lot of running back and forth between the two almost identical sides looking for switches and trying to figure out what switches need to be hit in which order. It can be real frustrating at times.

send help

Thanks for the heads-up, maybe there's some videos of the map out there or something.

3 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

From what I understand, Faithless is compatible, but I haven't tested it myself yet.

I played Faithless using Waytome. The only minor problem I encountered was that Elixir Vitae (an inventory item from Faithless) does not heal above 100% health (it is meant to heal up to 150% health). Other than that it works great.

Meanwhile, I was wondering about something else: Are there any palette modifications for Hexen?

I remember stumbling upon some images somewhere which seemed to indicate there are some palette modifications for Hexen, but can't find any (search beats me maybe).

17 hours ago, seed said:

Meanwhile, I was wondering about something else: Are there any palette modifications for Hexen?

So... nothing at all?

Not that I know of. Most of those are for Doom. Though a lot of the newer maps are for GZDoom and aren't even limited by the palette.

Also, I noticed from when you were playing Scourge of Viscerus that you don't have anything bound to secondary fire. Some of the mods I mentioned have alt-fire for some or all of the weapons.

33 minutes ago, Ichor said:

Not that I know of. Most of those are for Doom. Though a lot of the newer maps are for GZDoom and aren't even limited by the palette.

Also, I noticed from when you were playing Scourge of Viscerus that you don't have anything bound to secondary fire. Some of the mods I mentioned have alt-fire for some or all of the weapons.

Damn shame. I do remember seeing some screenshots in a topic somewhere so I thought maybe there were some palette modifications out there. Too bad I can't remember where exactly... maybe it was also part of a mod?

Yeah, I didn't bind anything to secondary fire since it didn't have any use to me, but I'll bind something when (or if, I dunno) I'll eventually get to the wads that come with gameplay/weapon modifications.

20 hours ago, seed said:

I could almost swear I saw someone post a screenshot on "Post your Doom picture (part 2)" thread that showed a custom palette for Hexen.

But I think it might not be available yet.

50 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

I could almost swear I saw someone post a screenshot on "Post your Doom picture (part 2)" thread that showed a custom palette for Hexen.

But I think it might not be available yet.

Yeah, that's where I think I saw a picture. But indeed, it might not be available yet. It seemed pretty cool though.

E: And after some digging, I managed to find it. It was the palette posted by @RonLivingston on page 538.

I'm certainly gonna check this out.

Edited by seed : Jackpot.

2 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

And since u are checking out various Hexen mods, would u like to give Hexen Rebalanced a shot.

(apologies for shamelessly promoting my own mod)

Ah, I like shameless self-promoting :p.

I would, problem is that I don't know what to play with it. The best shot would be at Scourge of Viscerus or A New World since those don't alter the gameplay (or at least Viscerus definitely didn't). Viscerus was also fairly short so I might revisit it with your mod and the custom palette.

I just remembered another Hexen wad that might be fun to try.

F***ing Hexen

Also, this mod for Heretic, but it is absolutely nothing like the Heretic that you know and love. It's more like something out of Diablo 2.

Diablo 3D

Any idea how to make the music work for Serpent Resurrection? YES, I AM using the puke 808 command. I also encountered buggy door after the monastery boss. It didn't open after the fight. There was some script issue, I think. Does anyone think it's connected? Like a compatibility issue, because it's an old wad. I played through it years ago, and had no issues with either door or music. If it didn't play I used the puke 808 command. Doesn't work anymore.

Any ideas?