Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Archaeo

Custom sounds with ZDOOM

How do I use custom sounds for zdoom? I cant get it to play the sounds that I put in my doom.wad. I went to Zdoom.notgod.com but I cant find where it says how to make it play my new sounds. Actually I found something about using a SNDINFO lump but I don’t know how to make one or what to do with it once I do. Can someone help me out here?

Holy CRAP! >=( I just cant get my normal edited sounds to work. For instance, when I make a new pwad with a new sound for the pistol and merge it with the main iwad it doesn’t do a damn thing. I’m using wintex and when I go in and check the doom iwad it thinks that the new sound is in there but when I play the game with or without zdoom it still has the old sound. I discovered that there are two pistol sounds that are identical but one has the new sound and the other has the old one but I cant seem to get rid of the old one. What am I doing wrong and what can I do to fix this?

He he I found this ages ago when using ye olde DOS prog DMAud to replace sounds. It replaced one copy, and doom used the other.

First and formost, why change the sounds in the IWAD? Simply put your sounds in a PWAD and load it on the command line. That will override any sound of the same name in the IWAD (both copies), but will not mean you changing your main game IWAD.

The double sound entries I believe were a mistake. What is happening is that you are replacing one sound entry, but doom is using the other one. You could replace them both (or just the other one), or use a tool like DeePsea or cleanwad to clear out the double entries.

By far the best option, however, is to leave the IWAD alone and do everything via PWADs

Enjay said:

He he I found this ages ago when using ye olde DOS prog DMAud to replace sounds. It replaced one copy, and doom used the other.

First and formost, why change the sounds in the IWAD? Simply put your sounds in a PWAD and load it on the command line. That will override any sound of the same name in the IWAD (both copies), but will not mean you changing your main game IWAD.

The double sound entries I believe were a mistake. What is happening is that you are replacing one sound entry, but doom is using the other one. You could replace them both (or just the other one), or use a tool like DeePsea or cleanwad to clear out the double entries.

By far the best option, however, is to leave the IWAD alone and do everything via PWADs

Hmm, I made a separate IWAD for my TC and assumed it would be easer to just convert the entire thing but obviously, I was mistaken. In the mean time, I will do as you suggest but when I find a way, POW! I am going to knock out the old sounds, unless of course this is not the way to make a TC. I have found that doom 2 does not do this.

I will look for this cleanwad that you speak of and hope it’s the answer to my prayers. (Yes, I do pray about doom.)

Archaeo said:

Hey Enjay. New question. How do I get zdoom to automatically load my PWAD?

Most common method - stick it in a subdirectory of your Zdoom dir called skins

eg

C:\zdoom\skins

Zdoom automatically loads anything in there with a .wad extention.

This will always load a file, which could cause problems if you use Zdoom to run Heretic or (soon) Hexen from the same directory as you will be loading a Doom specific file into those games. There is a command you can put into you Zdoom.ini to tell it to only load certain files for doom/heretic/hexen, but I can't remember it ATM. Anyone?

From console.html:

pullin wadfile
Loads a wadfile at startup. This command is only valid inside .cfg files that have been execed at startup.