Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GamingMarine

If you have any friends who don't play Doom, what are their thoughts on the game?

For instance, here's a list of things one of my closest friends has said about Doom:

-"Doom is overrated."

-"Doom looks like trash."

-"Doom is only a 90s first-person shooter that got lucky."

What do you guys have?

Some of mine respect the series, but none would ever dream to touch the originals in the present as they are "dated" and "silly".

Then again, one of them is usually chasing for the "big things" so it would be absurd to expect him to play old games/classics, and the fact that I still play and look for old/retro games is amusing for him, he usually chuckles when he sees me playing one. He does (or did) play Doom 2016 and liked it, but that's as far as it goes in terms of playing games from the series.

None of my friends know that I play doom. I am afraid that if they find out, I would become a laughing stock 🤣.

I doubt my friends are even interested in Doom 2016, although many of them probably know about it. Most of my friends are interested in games like FIFA, PES, Battlefield, CoD, Rocket League, Skyrim, Dota, Fortnite etc. The closest they ever got to classic/old school (especially when talking about FPS games) is playing CS 1.6 and that too is because it has been mainstream in my country for such a long time.

But then again, I am only 23 years old and people from my age group did grew up with modern games, so I don't blame them.

None of my friends are particularly into video games, but they recognize the games name, if not it's content.

I've tried to reintroduce Doom into the lives of those around me who, either never played the game, or played it a long time ago.  It's mainly just to see they're reaction to new source ports, maps and mods and what the community has done to keep it going.

Let's just say their excitement never matches mine, and it's usually a let down, and the worst part is no matter how I change the game, no matter what map I play, they always say "That looks like Doom" in an unimpressed tone.  It wrenches the gut, I got so sick of hearing that phrase that I now don't even mention my love of Doom to anyone, except my poor wife.

Once I was playing doom my friend looked over my shoulder and said: 'That looks like minecraft.' For some reason it really gets on my nerves when people say this.

I'm the only one among my friends who plays Doom at all.

Okay, that's a slight overstatement, because my best friend has played Doom 3 and DOOM '16, and he at least appreciates the series if nothing else. Funnily enough, I met him through my Doom 3 videos on YouTube - I used to do Let's Plays, and he stumbled upon some of them, presumably because he was stuck in the game and looking up a walkthrough. Eventually, we got to talking (this was back when you could still send PMs reliably on YT), and we've been friends ever since.

Obviously he doesn't play the games nearly as actively as I do, nor is he involved in the community. But I love how he understands my love and enthusiasm for the series - not many other people in my life do.

Being an old-timer (I was 32 when Doom came out) all of my friends know and at least have loved Doom, but none of them plays it now. Some went on to modern gaming, most of them seldom even grab a controller at all, because "gaming is childish".  But at least my son (now 31) still is a Doomer at heart, even if he only plays with "Brutal Doom" can´t understand why I still map for it and thinks I should switch to more modern engines.

My son in law (25) is a typical modern gamer and plays Fifa and COD semi-professionally. After a lot of time and long talks I finally got him to buy and install Doom2 on his PC and strangely he liked the game and even playtests some of my stuff now. He likes the speed and that there's no fat on the game, so in fact all what makes me a Doomkid in heart. 

2 hours ago, CrbnBased said:

Let's just say their excitement never matches mine, and it's usually a let down, and the worst part is no matter how I change the game, no matter what map I play, they always say "That looks like Doom" in an unimpressed tone.  It wrenches the gut, I got so sick of hearing that phrase that I now don't even mention my love of Doom to anyone, except my poor wife.

And this is why I am too afraid to show Doom to my friends as the result would most likely be a let down.

4 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

But then again, I am only 23 years old and people from my age group did grew up with modern games, so I don't blame them.

Eh, I suppose it just depends honestly. I'm also only 22 and grew up with oldies back in the early 2000s, such as Doom, Wolf 3D, Death Rally, Jazz Jackrabbit, and lots and lots of NES games.

Honestly I am just so glad I have such a background because if I grew up with other kinds of games I would have probably never picked up oldies/retro games and even worse, there's a chance I would have turned into a graphics whore later in life. Glad I can think for myself and do what I want without feeling pressured to "keep up" like others do, but that's also easier said than done in other cases.

Oh, and let's not even mention pixel styled games in my friends group, that's even sillier to them. But hey, if your friends find out that you play Doom, I'll be there for you :p.

I wouldn't even recommend such an old game to them, they're not really into video games and so their taste in video games seems more "casual", only one look at the visuals would probably be enough of a turn-off to them. Though one of them once asked me what I think about Doom, I was suprised and said the first thing I thought of: "It's a very old game, but has a very active and creative modding community" only to find out he was refering to the new one, turns out he didn't even know about the older games.

"ᴏʟᴅᴇ et sɪʟʟʏ... but cool", says one of my classmates. The rest lost their virginity (if at all) in that dumb game, what was it called again?

Ah, yeah, that thing cough Free Fire cough.

My friends always say Doom is too hard. Actually I don't understand because the game lets you savescum... and the game has difficulty levels.

They're actually quite receptive of the game. The fact that Doom 2016 exists and was a huge success certainly helped establish the franchise as relevant and reputable, which extends to classic Doom. The game's reputation as one of the greatest, most popular modding platforms out there also increases the likelihood that they familiarise themselves with the game in advance, which makes it easier to discuss the game with them.

13 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

And this is why I am too afraid to show Doom to my friends as the result would most likely be a let down.

This is totally backwards to reality, in my opinion. Here's the *proper* attitude:

"I know about this awesome game, and I would be depriving you of a great experience by not getting you involved in it."

Most of us here realize what a kick-ass game Doom is. And I don't want my friends to miss out on something as awesome as Doom. And, you know what? If they don't recognize awesomeness when they see it, I start to question their ability to recognize awesomeness. "You guys go that way <--, I'm going this way --->. Buh bye."

I am sure as hell not going to be embarrassed for following what I believe in.

A good way in is to create the opportunity:

If your friends can hang out at your place, and you have the equipment, set up a LAN game/party. Order some pizzas and drinks, and pre-select an awesome co-op mapset.

Make it a nice-looking, fun set of maps with an hour or more of uninterrupted Doom fun. Then just sit your friends down at their PC, hand them the controller, and tell them to "get in there, monkey!"

There's absolutely no way your friends will be bored - they're playing Doom, after all! Get everything ready, and who can refuse?

back a few years ago I used to play Doom a lot with two IRL friends. They had admiration for these older games, which was nice.

they also liked quake 2 DM a lot

One of my friends loves retro games and is a collector like me, but he doesn't seem super interested in Doom. He always brings up MIDI Maze as the more revolutionary title. Another friend plays with me occasionally, but he tends to be navigationally deficient when it comes to Doom maps.

The good news is that I finally convinced my girlfriend to play Doom. We started E1 of UD... and she liked it. Now we're playing Scythe, and she still enjoys it! Keeper.

Most of them can't be harassed into playing it. I did play some co-op with one friend ages ago and we had a blast, but he no longer seems interested and he's something of a graphics whore. Downright shame.

Friends don't let friends suffer Doom withdrawal :)

3 hours ago, noisebloom said:

The good news is that I finally convinced my girlfriend to play Doom. We started E1 of UD... and she liked it. Now we're playing Scythe, and she still enjoys it! Keeper.

If she finishes Plutonia on UV, pop the question

On 7/24/2019 at 4:55 AM, Dit Dit Lord said:

Once I was playing doom my friend looked over my shoulder and said: 'That looks like minecraft.' For some reason it really gets on my nerves when people say this.

Whenever someone says that, go over to a wall and start punching it. Say you're trying to get those diamonds.

11 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

"What, they made a game based on that shitty Dwayne Johnson movie?!"

This is the most cursed thing I have ever read.

In high school, a few of my friends were into games from the 80's and 90's, including Doom. It got worse in college. There was only 1 person that I knew who wouldn't complain about the "bad graphics", things looking stupid, little details being unrealistic, etc.

My friends respect Doom but don't play it. A couple has early memories enjoying some levels and occasionally ask me "oh what's that level with all the..."

My inner circle are all JRPG/CRPG nerds.

They think of me as a simpleton for enjoying FPS games, new and old. "All you do is point and shoot. Boring!", "Where's the story/dialog/character development/etc?", "RPGs are better because they require planning and T H I N K I N G.", "Oh god, you have a powerful gaming PC! Why are you running something that runs on a toaster?", "Oh you! Your gaming tastes have become so simple!", etc.

I could keep going. I deal with this on a daily basis.

I have a little sister who tried doom on her ipad. She told me she thought it was pretty " meh ". She is no longer my sister.