Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GamingMarine

If you have any friends who don't play Doom, what are their thoughts on the game?

Most of my friends are into battle royale games. Even though I havent showed them it I doubt they'd be interested in it. However one of my friends is exempt from the other group because he says that hes played through Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom. He also says that he liked the games but wouldnt really come back to them any time soon.

Well, all of my friends either like Doom or are indifferent to it at worst because if someone shit talks Doom to me I can pretty safely write them off as a potential friend!

I’m maybe half joking with that but not really. I haven’t experienced the ‘shit talking Doom’ phenomenon though. I met some of my closest friends from

school in 2001 when we were kids and they thought Doom was awesome, especially that you could make maps for it. I moved to AUS in 2009 and the people I met here liked it too, my buddy J actually owned the SNES cart. In 2013 I got a job and met a few friends through that, they hadn’t ever played Doom and are 4-5 years younger than me but nowadays it’s a regular in our rotation of games when I visit them. On top of all that, most of the women I’ve been romantically involved with actually liked playing it, though it was me who introduced them every time.

The game tends to go over really well. The youngest friend I have is 19, but he was 12 when I first met his older brother. Even as a kid he liked Doom and has nostalgia for the Dwango5 music from watching me and his older brother play ~ 6-7 years ago. For some reason it warms my heart to see someone I consider a youth saying they have nostalgia for Doom music!

That’s my little ramble on the matter.

10 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Well, all of my friends either like Doom or are indifferent to it at worst because if someone shit talks Doom to me I can pretty safely write them off as a potential friend! I’m maybe half joking with that but not really...

I can relate with that thought process. Yeah, we had arcade video games in my youth, and we had Atari 2600's. We also had baseballs with mitts, and, we had sticks that we could smack trees with.

We could have fun just about anywhere, and we didn't need cell phones, or games with realistic lighting and volumetric fog to have a good time. Back then, we would have killed to have a game like vanilla Doom on a 12" monitor.

Now, I know that minds are developed when young, and people get accustomed to a certain level of quality. But those old games were of a high quality. I know that I had as much fun playing them as anyone does nowadays with the latest titles.

Part of having a friend is respecting them. And I have a hard time having respect for people that short-circuit their potential happiness, by...

• ...believing that everything in the past is old, boring, and has no value
  • ...assuming that, because it's not current, it's going to suck
  • ...being afraid to try new experiences
  • ...refusing to give the benefit of the doubt
  • ...smuggly justifying these choices as fact, when I know better :)

To each his own, I guess. I'm not wanting to slight anyone...I just don't think I'd be the best friend to such people.

None of my friends are really big Doom players, they don't really seem to quite understand the appeal. Which is perfectly fine; to each their own. I'm not really into their favorite games either. However, whenever we're together I can usually convince them to get a deathmatch going, which is always always a blast. Doom's prowess as an excellent multiplayer game is something we all agree on and my friends have come to enjoy that, even if they aren't very interested Doom's single player gameplay.

i don't have friends, no one here plays anything close to what im interested in if they play any games at all

14 hours ago, Gaia74 said:

I showed then doom one time...

since that day all call me satanic

I'd take that as a compliment if I was you :p.

On 7/26/2019 at 7:20 AM, Doomkid said:

Well, all of my friends either like Doom or are indifferent to it at worst because if someone shit talks Doom to me I can pretty safely write them off as a potential friend!

Pretty much this. I couldn't get along with people who don't respect my hobbies, dealing with such people inevitably leads to friction that can quickly end a friendship. I wouldn't expect them to like the game but if it, as ReaperAA put it, leads to becoming a "laughingstock", these are people I wouldn't want to have extended contact with because it's always walking a fine line and being on constant guard not to say something they might consider un-cool.

54 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

Pretty much this. I couldn't get along with people who don't respect my hobbies, dealing with such people inevitably leads to friction that can quickly end a friendship. I wouldn't expect them to like the game but if it, as ReaperAA put it, leads to becoming a "laughingstock", these are people I wouldn't want to have extended contact with because it's always walking a fine line and being on constant guard not to say something they might consider un-cool.

Honestly going this far with hobbies might be a bit too much, but it essentially boils down to 2 aspects: mutual respect, understanding and accepting the differences between people. There's many factors to take into consideration in a friendship, but usually if these essentials are missing no bond can ever be formed between individuals and that only leads to tension and even conflicts.

I've been around many people who can't accept differences and no amount of common points and whatnot saved these relations (also the fact that they were just a bunch of assholes in general).

I have a friend who is more into his modern shooters (The Division, Destiny, etc), and while he can appreciate Doom for what it is (he was absolutely blown away by some of the more advanced Z-based wads I've shown him), his favourite in the series is actually Doom 3, since he's a big Dead Space fan. In fact, he has told me that he would rather have had the shitcanned Doom 4 instead of the one we actually got.

9 hours ago, seed said:

I'd take that as a compliment if I was you :p.

in fact I take it with humor but that nickname got stronger when they saw a drawing that I made of a demon

so for all I am the satanic

yesssss.....

There was one time when a couple of friends were giving me some shit and joking about how i was 'not a true doom fan' since i didn't had any merch or anything like that, and at one point i explained that a huge part of the community wasn't so much into the game itself, but rather on the content the community makes for the game, and then one of them gave me a 'are you fucking kidding me?' stare and said in a rather condescending tone 'Wait, i get it, now i get it' while slowly nodding his head

So uhh, yeah, i guess that sums it up

General consensus is "seems cool, respects its importance in video game history, not interested." One of my friends is into it though.

My obsession with the game is kind of an in-joke with all of my close friends though. :P

A friend of mine saw me playing and asked "Is that Minecraft?!", but thats about it. Luckily i've got myself some pretty open-minded friends who enjoy mostly older games, music and movies, and who also don't mind when i talk about it for a while.

Some other people i've known tho... holy moses. Not going into detail, but i've been told that the whole Metal Gear Solid series is horseshit because the graphics aren't up to date and you play as an old man.

2 hours ago, SchwTrdLeenW said:

because the graphics aren't up to date and you play as an old man.

*brain farts intensify*

I once tried to get some of my friends into Doom coop scene, but failed. They either are used to multiplayer games, or games with average to good graphics, or they can't figured out how to set up GZDoom properly. (The benefits of living in a 3rd-world country, yay)
An RL people I've known closely once saw me modifying Doom textures in SLADE and they mocked me 'cause they thought I was wasting my time doing shitty stuff.  

My SO and my friends all respect the franchise and although they're not into it to the same degree as I am they know the games are enjoyable.