Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've named this map 'Cave', but 'Mine' would have been equally appropriate. Little bit of experimentation with an underground type map. No monster teleports, no keys and no doors.

I'm releasing it because I want to get feedback and I like spreading the Doom love, but I'm not particularly pleased with how it came out. There's something about it that I can't quite put my finger on that I didn't like. Anyway, maybe it's because I overplayed it testing the different sections and it may in fact be a reasonable new mapper kind of map. Let me know what you think.

cave.zip

Requires Doom2 to play. Made in Boom format, testing mostly done on GZDoom but also played through on PRBoom.

Lava fall texture from the 'NIGHTMARE ANIMATIONS PACK' by Nick Baker.

Screenshot_Doom_20190724_190443.png.888e7d061b0b306b81255a8c83724202.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190724_190542.png.7554a0f61b156c82e6bc85c0f64a4a40.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190724_190325.png.76d228cfd53e9b4e691861115e43daa6.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190724_190519.png.f2bfafcdb4db6a1173f58179c58d07d6.png

Edited by Magicana

cave.rar

FDA for you. Some notes:

-Some of it seemed too symmetrical, specifically the double switchs

-Some of the traps resulted in corridor fighting or simply backing up. The rocket launcher one with he Pinky blocking you was good though.

-The lava cages with the 1000 Cacos was the most interesting part. Very tricky. Also good idea to have a Baron block your path so you can't flip the switch and run away.

Nice map.

6 hours ago, Super Mighty G said:

cave.rar

FDA for you. Some notes:

-Some of it seemed too symmetrical, specifically the double switchs

-Some of the traps resulted in corridor fighting or simply backing up. The rocket launcher one with he Pinky blocking you was good though.

-The lava cages with the 1000 Cacos was the most interesting part. Very tricky. Also good idea to have a Baron block your path so you can't flip the switch and run away.

Nice map.

I enjoyed the playthrough.

The symmetry might have been one of the things that was bugging me. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but way too much of it at times as well (Mostly at the start of the map, which doesn't give a good first impression).

I didn't mind being able to back up, because apart from the mancubus into the one tight corridor, the monsters could follow you. I tested each room by fighting inside the room itself (Which is why there is so much health in the map) but I don't mind being able to back up. I really liked making that pinkie/imp trap as well, so I'm glad you liked it. Having everything awake and just tweaking the design so the pinkie sprinted around the corner took a bit of time, so I'm glad it went so well.

I'm always very hesitant about using barons, so I'm glad you liked that room. The original Caco swarm was 3x as big, but I quickly found that to be unfair.

What I'm most pleased about is that you didn't have too much trouble with the progression. I was a little worried that making people go through each room would take longer to work out what was going on - It seems being able to view the next room and think back to the branching paths was enough though.

I very much agree that the caco/baron room was a fun encounter, and I enjoyed this encounter much more than most of the others. Much of the rest of the map was made up of ambushes that could be easily escaped (as SMG stated), and I didn't really prefer it, as it played out like a trope that I didn't feel like revisiting again and again. I also didn't enjoy the corridor fights with the roaming monsters, as they didn't provide much of a threat.

I also did not have issue with the progression; it was pretty straightforward.

I really like the exit-room tease; in general, I like that "there it is!" feeling which is inevitably followed up by a "noooo, i'm not going to make it" feeling at some point.

Admittedly, this is not my favorite map of yours, but this may say more about my gameplay preferences than the actual quality of the map. I think the overall concept has a lot of potential.

Great architecture and detail. I didn't notice any HOMs or misaligned textures, nor did I really have to fight the map. The flow was smooth, even though I did some door-fighting and back-tracking for breathing room in a few of the ambushes. 

The first attempt at the map, I couldn't help but feel some of the ammo dumped behind ambushes should have been put before it. I found myself out of ammo until I started actively rationing it out and planning ahead. That's not inherently a problem, just an observation.

Good job, man.

5 hours ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I beat your level.

That is a uhh interesting gameplay mod...

Nice wad, really enjoyed it! Felt like it could've come right out of Doom II itself which is always a plus for me.

I liked all of the different ambushes, and there's a good steady increase in difficulty of each one before the final Caco/Imp/Baron fight to ease the player into it. Too many times I've played wads that start out at a steady pace, and then throw you off with some insane difficulty spike.

I finally got time to finish this damned video :)

Except some notes in the video i will say few notes. It was overral nice and solid map. Gameplay was nice yet i got stuck quite nicely in that caco/baron room which was probably the highlight of that map. Other than played that part like idiot :) i feel like the ammo placement could bitt better. I want to give you one advice, i like drawing caves or some other simmiliar nature stuff with draw curve mode instead of classic draw linedefs mode. It help a lot to avoid rectangular rooms and looks overall better. see here for example:

Spoiler

1998449081_egypt(editarea)at2019_09.1323-34-09.670R3074.jpg.abfdabd41534495ff56eb0a55770286a.jpg

Other than that good job and keep it up

8 hours ago, Marlamir said:

I finally got time to finish this damned video :)

Except some notes in the video i will say few notes. It was overral nice and solid map. Gameplay was nice yet i got stuck quite nicely in that caco/baron room which was probably the highlight of that map. Other than played that part like idiot :) i feel like the ammo placement could bitt better. I want to give you one advice, i like drawing caves or some other simmiliar nature stuff with draw curve mode instead of classic draw linedefs mode. It help a lot to avoid rectangular rooms and looks overall better. see here for example:

Hide contents

1998449081_egypt(editarea)at2019_09.1323-34-09.670R3074.jpg.abfdabd41534495ff56eb0a55770286a.jpg

Other than that good job and keep it up

Thanks for the playthrough!

It's hard watching people play this map. With my first few, I knew that even though they were bad, it was the best I could do. With this one, I wasn't even going to release it at first, but I did for the feedback - It's hard watching people play your map and thinking "I could have done better".

It was also very hard watching you die so often and thinking "Hmm, did they forget about those 4 medikits in that room?

Thanks for the feedback though, that automap looks amazing. In retrospect I should have called it 'Mine' because of the dominance of man-made features, but you live and learn.