Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Casketkrusher

WAD project - Condemned To Eternity

Progress update:

My final map, MAP 06 - The Lurking Fear has been completed. Its the final map from my mappack including a final boss battle at the end. Its a rather though map on U.V.

Maps that have been updated and completed thus far are MAP 01, MAP 02, MAP 03 and MAP 06.

The other maps are still in progress, MAP 04 which will be a secret map in the final version is fully playable but at the moment a huge mess. 

MAP 05 is at the moment nothing special, I am playing around with 3D floors. And unplayable, there's nothing to do there yet. 

Feel free to check out MAP 06 for a playtest, or if interested the other maps as well.

I used assets from the PSX Total Conversion mod, so special thanks to the people who made that.

Tested with GZDoom.

These maps are not designed with jumping and croutching in mind, but if you want to use these options its not a problem.

Freelook is always welcome.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0i2wf3r6j6fvi0r/Doom - Condemned To Eternity.wad?dl=0

Edited by Casketkrusher

Thank you for considering some of my suggestions. I'm a little behind with your maps, still haven't played the third one and you already have a fourth! :) I gotta catch up.

I think you should link to all your previous maps in this thread, too. Just for the sake of completion.

I decided to talk about your second map also here, not in the previous threads, since this one is now "one thread to rule them all".

So Damnation is a great map, considerably harder than the first. I managed to find all the secrets on my own, which means they were not super-hard (thank you for that, I'm terrible with finding secrets). I again tried some mods and yet again with some not all the monsters spawned as intended (so I stick to EVP, which spawns them all with no problems). The ambience, lighting and atmosphere are just great, I can't praise those elements enough. Great job! The ambushes were quite effective, cost me my life a few times ;) The only thing I didn't like were the tombstone switches doing nothing (well, most of them). I as the player prefer my switches to grant me some progress, not to deceive me :)

Here's my modded playthrough (with Polish commentary):

Spoiler

Playthroughs of the newer ones are coming :)

27 minutes ago, Yebudoom said:

Thank you for considering some of my suggestions. I'm a little behind with your maps, still haven't played the third one and you already have a fourth! :) I gotta catch up.

I think you should link to all your previous maps in this thread, too. Just for the sake of completion.

I decided to talk about your second map also here, not in the previous threads, since this one is now "one thread to rule them all".

So Damnation is a great map, considerably harder than the first. I managed to find all the secrets on my own, which means they were not super-hard (thank you for that, I'm terrible with finding secrets). I again tried some mods and yet again with some not all the monsters spawned as intended (so I stick to EVP, which spawns them all with no problems). The ambience, lighting and atmosphere are just great, I can't praise those elements enough. Great job! The ambushes were quite effective, cost me my life a few times ;) The only thing I didn't like were the tombstone switches doing nothing (well, most of them). I as the player prefer my switches to grant me some progress, not to deceive me :)

Here's my modded playthrough (with Polish commentary):

Hide contents

Playthroughs of the newer ones are coming :)

I love your enthusiasm! Although I can't understand your language. I've actually fixed a lot of problems, especially the switches, more people had trouble with them in the case of being activated (red eyes). I'm going to polish my first 4 maps now, also fixing the teleporting with scripts so it will work with mods (I think). Also what mod are you using? Very cool, it fits perfectly with the atmosphere, I also think it makes this map a lot more difficult (Original map has been updated with more rooms to explore). And the switch in the secret room actually killed a Hellknight as a bonus :) the platform what you saw with the pile of blood it had a crusher so it squashed him, I thought it was a cool idea a free kill and some extra ammo. I've actually made text messages for certain switches like these, alteast the ones who are a bit out of eye sight to let the player know what it does so nobody gets confused. The graveyard switches have also been changed to a puzzle, make all eyes red and you get a reward. I suggest you wait until I fix all 4 maps for the best experience. There's one thing I can't fix in map 02 that's the weird visual glitch (witch you mentioned I believe) with the curved linedefs I have absolutely no clue what causes it, sometimes it happen, and sometimes it don't. But that's a minor thing.

Thank you for playing!

Cheers!

40 minutes ago, Casketkrusher said:

I love your enthusiasm! Although I can't understand your language. I've actually fixed a lot of problems, especially the switches, more people had trouble with them in the case of being activated (red eyes). I'm going to polish my first 4 maps now, also fixing the teleporting with scripts so it will work with mods (I think). Also what mod are you using? Very cool, it fits perfectly with the atmosphere, I also think it makes this map a lot more difficult (Original map has been updated with more rooms to explore). And the switch in the secret room actually killed a Hellknight as a bonus :) the platform what you saw with the pile of blood it had a crusher so it squashed him, I thought it was a cool idea a free kill and some extra ammo. I've actually made text messages for certain switches like these, alteast the ones who are a bit out of eye sight to let the player know what it does so nobody gets confused. The graveyard switches have also been changed to a puzzle, make all eyes red and you get a reward. I suggest you wait until I fix all 4 maps for the best experience. There's one thing I can't fix in map 02 that's the weird visual glitch (witch you mentioned I believe) with the curved linedefs I have absolutely no clue what causes it, sometimes it happen, and sometimes it don't. But that's a minor thing.

Thank you for playing!

Cheers!

Thank you for watching! I could record in English, but I created the channel specifically to promote old Doom and Quake mapping/modding in the Polish part of YT, they're gravely underrepresented.

Glad you're perfecting the maps, I'll probably take a look at the updated first two again when you finish. So you say it's best to wait with map 03 and 04? All right :)

What you see in the video is a combination of mods:

Enhanced Vanilla Project (the visuals, the weapons, the look of the monsters)

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=58191

Champions (random monsters on the map become colour-coded mini-bosses with special abilities)

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=60456

LegenDoom Lite (random monsters become additionally buffed when their health is dropped to a certain level)

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=51035

I'm gonna ditch these last two for now probably, as they tend to make harder maps even harder ;) Though they're great fun too.

Yes, I mentioned those linedefs. But that was the only visual glitch I've seen there.

Keep going, cheers :)

I've been meaning to play Map04 for a little while now.

Enjoyable as always. Some very nasty traps in there.

Only thing that jumped out at me was the lone pain elemental after I flicked a switch - They're not very dangerous in close quarters with no other monsters because you can stop them spawning lost souls quite easily. I punched it out to save ammo (Which was pretty well balanced).

My first 3 maps have been updated, MAP02 has a whole new section to explore, switches have been put to default (no glowing eyes if not activated) text messages are now given to switches which do something out of "eye sight" so the player never gets confused. MAP04 still needs to be updated but the first 3 are final. Difficultlty has been ramped up a bit, no more annoying teleportation of enemies especially on MAP02, Monsters (most of them) now roam the streets in that map. Still not sure about the OP super shotgun. 

Feel freel to give it a go :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmhy6vit0lp3mlr/Doom - Condemned To Eternity (Mappack).rar?dl=0

Cheers!

Take out every one of those god damn messages- there is no need to take the player's hand at every turn. Players will figure it out because it doesn't seem like they will get lost at all.

MAP02 for example "A bridge has raised" yeah- no shit it's right behind you and you can hear it.

On the flipside the maps have some really good atmosphere, going with that PSX look and feel certainly helps and you stuck to it quite well!

I made a music track a few years ago if you would like some freebie music that's original but to the style~

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/319878754761703434/609447751599521832/psx1_fuzz.mp3

16 minutes ago, Fuzzball said:

Take out every one of those god damn messages- there is no need to take the player's hand at every turn. Players will figure it out because it doesn't seem like they will get lost at all.

MAP02 for example "A bridge has raised" yeah- no shit it's right behind you and you can hear it.

On the flipside the maps have some really good atmosphere, going with that PSX look and feel certainly helps and you stuck to it quite well!

I made a music track a few years ago if you would like some freebie music that's original but to the style~

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/319878754761703434/609447751599521832/psx1_fuzz.mp3

Thank you, I found some playtesters which had no clue what a switch did so they were confused, that's why I added those hints.

12 hours ago, Casketkrusher said:

Thank you, I found some playtesters which had no clue what a switch did so they were confused, that's why I added those hints.

If I might interject. When it comes to Doom maps it's better to show not tell. If players are getting confused about what something does it should be made more obvious.

1 hour ago, Magicana said:

I'm too tired to add any commentary for tonight, but here's my playthrough!

Thanks for the playthrough, too bad you didn't find some secrets! Hope it wasn't too confusing with flipping those 3 switches.

16 hours ago, Casketkrusher said:

Thanks for the playthrough, too bad you didn't find some secrets! Hope it wasn't too confusing with flipping those 3 switches.

Nah progression was fine. I knew what the overarching goal was the whole time, so that helped. Without that starting message, it would have been a little obtuse.

On 8/9/2019 at 11:44 PM, Casketkrusher said:

@Yebudoom If you want to playtest some of these maps, feel free, most of them are complete.

I'd like to wait for the full set this time :) Gonna make a small series when they're done.

Been away from mapping for a while. I'm back and made some new progress, the wad has been extended with 5 new maps. Will update these soon.

Cheers!

14 minutes ago, Casketkrusher said:

Been away from mapping for a while. I'm back and made some new progress, the wad has been extended with 5 new maps. Will update these soon.

Cheers!

Was thinking I hadn't seen you in some time!

Little update:

I was a bit dormant with map making the last couple of months, since October 2019 I haven't been active nor did I make any maps. Mostly busy running my record label and playing a lot of J-rpg's. I finally came back to invest time to continue my project. After playing the amazing port of Doom 64 on PS4 I was inspired to continue my maps, adding more details to the old maps and changing the layout to give it a bit more sense and ofcourse less monster spawns in your face. I'm currently making a open air map in some bog/swamp like envoirment with caves to explore and a bit of open world feel instead of grab key to open gate and continue etc. Also been experimenting with 3D floors, ofcourse I know the PS1 port and the original didn't support these features but I kinda like the idea to make more complex levels this way. I'm trying to give it my best to add more detail but to be honest that is not my strongest point. I usualy am never satisfied with something and in most cases I just delete the parts I don't like or can't improve to my liking. But, nontheless what you see is what you get. For the people who care I hope you like the changes and new maps which I will post soon. 

Cheers.

I'm back after a long, long, long time. I started a new project, and kinda abondonded my Condemned To Eternity project. I wasn't satisfied with it, boring maps, bad enemy placement. I tried to improve on it with my new project, inspired by Powerslave/Exhumed, even made some custom things myself which I still can't believe I pulled off. Took me weeks to figure that out but it looks good in my taste. If anyone remembers me and want to check out my new project, feel free to download :)

Still needs some testing though!

Screenshot_Doom_20220804_185146.png

Edited by Casketkrusher