Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shawny

Shallow World Episode 1 v1.2 IDGames

Bumping the thread, as I explaind above, E1 is finalized and has a IDGAMES link now.
Dev thread was updated with new link but was not bumped.

I haven't finished playing through this WAD yet, but I've been enjoying what I've seen. It starts off slow, with the maps being nicely detailed but rather tame in terms of combat (which I suppose is appropriate if this is to be the first episode of a larger project), but around MAP05 it really picks up and becomes quite fun and interesting, and so far (I'm up to MAP08) it hasn't let up. I like how there are callouts to the original Doom II levels' themes and locales, but they're subtle enough that I didn't recognize them as such while playing and only realized while writing this post and flipping through the levels.

@Shepardus I am happy you are enjoying the wad so far.
The project shaped quite a lot during the development including the name change.
The final product is a retelling/reimagination of Doom2, hence the names and similarities with the original wad,

but in my mapping style. The pacing and monster introduction is also a reason why the first maps, arguably even

the whole E1, is easier than most of the modern wads. Slower pacing, on the other hand, gives me more room

to have different encounters and more varied combat scenerios in the future episodes.

That though, remains to be seen.
For now I very much appreciate you playing the wad and commenting. I hope you enjoy rest of the maps.

Spoiler

(Probably not MAP09, though. That one is kinda rough both design and gameplay vise.)

Edited by Shawny

Post IDGAMES v1.1 update

Since dei_eldren decided to play the wad once again on HMP continuous and I found quite
few things I wanted to change, so I decided to update the wad (nothing major though).

TLDR patch notes

• Fixed various visual issues - HOMS, some slimetrails, wrong textures/flats, bleeding midtextures, etc.
  • Revamped/adjusted secrets - good chunk of secrets are now easier to find and activate
  • Some visual updates and balance/gameplay changes to MAP02 and MAP09.
  • Changed angles of decorations and items to make it less jank for voxel and model based pickups
    (mostly aimed for voxel doom compatibility once it´s out).

More details:

• MAP02 hitscanner pocket room is now accessible once bars to the cistern are raised.
  • MAP03 door in the slime pit now opens and closes a bit slower.
  • MAP08 lowering platforms are now much more quiet, added MBL at the conveyour belt.
  • MAP09 balance changes includes less monsters on HMP (only by a single digit),
              replaced revs in the top of the cavern by more imps (all difficulty settings),
              first green armor replaced by blue one, added small amout of HP pickups
              swapped medikit (next to group of hell knight) and berserk (in the green room with imps and revs)

• GENERAL - secret changes
              - MAP03 shootable switch is now more prominent with added light
              - MAP04 shootable switch is now more visible and has better angle to be shot from the central crates
                           - RL secret now has bigger switch
                           - Soulsphere secret now has different type of button that is more wide
              - MAP05 RL secret in the "library" now has wider switch
                           - BFG secret was untagged since it is too complex and has little payout for pistol starts
                           - new berserk secret was added in the nukage room
              - MAP06 plasma gun secret switch is now a bit wider (still bit awkward to press though)
              - MAP08 opening RL secret near the mancubus is much easier now that the whole texture is a trigger
                           instead of just the tiny symbol in the middle
              - MAP09 candle that indicates the soulsphere secret is now moved onto the console for better signposting
              - MAP10 blue armor secret door now has more obvious (and wider) trigger
                           - soulsphere secret has wider trigger and is now shootable from the floor rather than stairs
                             (this means that can be activated by accident, but at the same time is now more useful since
                              player doesn´t need to raise the bars first to even have the chance to get to it.)
              - MAP11 BFG secret now has wider button

Updated link in the first post, also leaving (only mediafire has the updated version for now, IDGAMES pending) download link here:
Shallow World E1 (v1.1) - Mediafire

Edited by Shawny

Whoa, this project flew right under my radar. Are you planning on making a full megawad? The screenshots look very good!

17 minutes ago, Firedust said:

Whoa, this project flew right under my radar. Are you planning on making a full megawad? The screenshots look very good!

Thank you, I am happy that first impressions are good. And yes, the megawad was planned from the start, slower pacing of E1 is testament to that.
Sadly both my will and dedication to mapping are quite low since IRL stuff is a bit rough and was for few months now.
I also want to contribute to community projects in the meantime.

That being said, normal pace was map a month, so when I get back to full speed, it should take like 2 years to fully complete the wad.
My personal estimation is 2025, though. My priority is map variety mixed with some gimmickry (E1 has some of that already).

Good luck on the project! A map a month is actually a solid pace, especially with a lot IRL stuff taking up your time.

Had some time to do a playthrough of this, and I'm in awe of the creative encounter and layout designs you came up with. Solid stuff all around!

Finished the set over the holidays and had a really good time with it. Originally just tested it so i could write the Doomwiki article as i'm working myself through this year's list of recipients, but this was a very pleasant surprise all round. Really cool mapset! Love the themes in each map and how they riff off the Doom 2 originals. Some really creative ideas like the one with the two elevators at the beginning of map03 where you have to choose the rocket launcher or SSG as your main weapon for the level. Looking forward to a potential episode 2 & 3. Cheers!

5 hours ago, Gregor said:

Finished the set over the holidays and had a really good time with it. Originally just tested it so i could write the Doomwiki article as i'm working myself through this year's list of recipients, but this was a very pleasant surprise all round.

Thank you so much, I am very happy to hear that.

Love the themes in each map and how they riff off the Doom 2 originals.

The project was originally called Re-Doom2 but I decided to change that after a while, since people were expecting something more true to original Doom2.
I had felt that the title is a bit misleading, but the core idea to reimagine the original wad the way I map have stayed unchanged, hence the nods, riffs etc.

Really cool mapset!Some really creative ideas like the one with the two elevators at the beginning of map03 where you have to choose the rocket launcher or SSG as your main weapon for the level.

As I mention in the cacoward thread, the maps are mostly tech base/base-ish themed similar to the original so I wanted to vary them by doing stuff like this.

Looking forward to a potential episode 2 & 3. Cheers!

I am planning on doing more next year, but I need to complete some already started community project maps and put together ideas, some

custom textures and generaly do some pre-production before that.
My personal deadline is year and a half for an episode so next one is planned somewhen in 2024 and full megawad hopefully 2025.
Who knows though.

Edited by Shawny

Btw, is the title of the midi for MAP04 actually called "Undreground Lake" as listed in the tracklist above and the text file, or is that a typo?

1 hour ago, Gregor said:

Btw, is the title of the midi for MAP04 actually called "Undreground Lake" as listed in the tracklist above and the text file, or is that a typo?

Oooops, yup, that is a typo. It should be Underground Lake.

Also, I took a quick look at the doomwiki entries, thanks for that to all people involved, and there are few additional details
about the secrets that can be added, like untagged BFG in MAP05 (relevant only on continuous play) and a way
to actually get BFG in MAP08.
Do with this information as you will.

Spoiler

MAP05-BFG.jpg

MAP08-BFG.jpg

Edited by Shawny

Well, that is one really good mapset. I played the 11 maps (UV + brutal doom mod, Gzdoom on Linux) and it was a smooth experience. No issues and it's a beautiful architecture and gameplay, crunchy difficulty sometimes, lots of fire from multiple positions. I found most secrets, but not all, some are fairly well hidden, but not unfair. Nw music was a nice addition. Very high quality mapset, highly recommended.

My only complaint would be that it is "just" 11 maps. ;)

(edit: I didn't find the secret maps... well, maybe I'll changemap into them to see them)

1 hour ago, Cacodemon said:

Well, that is one really good mapset. I played the 11 maps (UV + brutal doom mod, Gzdoom on Linux) and it was a smooth experience. No issues and it's a beautiful architecture and gameplay, crunchy difficulty sometimes, lots of fire from multiple positions. I found most secrets, but not all, some are fairly well hidden, but not unfair. Nw music was a nice addition. Very high quality mapset, highly recommended.

My only complaint would be that it is "just" 11 maps. ;)

(edit: I didn't find the secret maps... well, maybe I'll changemap into them to see them)

Thank you, I am very happy that people enjoy the mapset since it got the to the runners-up with... 0 mentions in the cacoward thread.
Good to hear that even modded the mapset is fun to play, I did try and compiled a list of tested mods prior to release.

Quite a lot of secrets were reveamped to be a bit less obsure and easier to activate, none all of them and there are some "non-secret" secrets as well in v1.1.

My intent is to make a full megawad as I mentioned before, but that is gonna take A LOT of time for multiple reasons.

The bonus maps are not accessable by normal means, you have to warp to them and work only on GZDoom.
The first bonus map is an "early version" of MAP05 that has been reworked and ported to work on Boom and the second bonus map
is also planned to be reused at some point the same way.

Again, thank you for playing and enjoying the mapset.

I've just finished playing through this mapset, and it's fantastic. You've done an excellent job Shawny. I really love the attention to detail on the textures. It's inspired me to put more effort into my own map designs. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next.

9 hours ago, Napsalm said:

Just finished playing through this wad. Really solid classic style gameplay. Really really enjoyed it. Thanks! 

Vod link: 

And I missed it... then again... probably for the best, considering I can´t shut up once I start spamming chat.
Anyway, thank you so much for playing, I will check the vod ASAP. I am always happy to see new playthroughs of my stuff NGL.

So I watched the VOD and here are few notes:

1. Wad was made in contplay in mind with death exits after map11 map15 and map20 (hopefully one day with the final product), which
    is how I usually play megawads. Pistol starts are perfectly doable, in fact Vile pistol started each map, and even though that
    was "pre-release" build not a huge amount, balance vise, has been changed.
  2. Map03 have slightly different progression depending on chosen weapon. Rocket launcher is the faster route
    going through the middle, SSG route takes the player around.
  3. Map04´s hole in the wall is now hole in my soul.
  4. Map05 has a non tagged secret BFG that is quite obsure and uselful only in contplay.
    (It was a normal secret in v1.0, but in v1.1 I added that one berserk as official secret.)
  5. Map06 has those spider closets in case player kills the SMM before starting the crusher so that you have to
    deal with the spiders instead, ammunition in those closets are for balance purposes.
  6. Map08 is a bit of a mess under the hood, I should start using joint sectors to distribue sound as a sane person.
    So... the bfg you have figured out during the stream. Basically the hint is in the "normal" version of the map
    (the skull with the glowing eyes) where you get the soulshepere. The "alternate" version´s version of that wall
    is also interactable, but instead it opens 4 monster closets with imps, one of them has the switch to move the BFG
    out of kill range into the secret tag sector. Player can tag the secret any time, but actually getting the BFG is a one
    time secret. That brings me to the sound tunnels and walls openings that occures after the player leaves the area.
    Since the "alternate" version of the map is accessable only once, I tried to make it that unkilled monsters follow
    player to the main map. This worked pretty well during testing, but I wouldn´t say with confidence that it works 100%.
    Icon of sin pain sound when opening the door was actually Vile´s idea. I liked the idea and was quite easy to implement
    so I did.
  7. Map09 soulsphere secret is marked by the candles (only 2 candles in the map) and that out of place blue trin
    on both the switch and door that opens.
  8. Map10 has a monster only teleporter in one of the rooms. I tried to make it that if player gets too far from the initial
    area, cybie will follow and teleport to the final section of the map. Works suprisingly well considering Doom AI is tied
    to planet constalations and current weather.

I think that is all the major things to point out from the vod that I remember.

Edited by Shawny : Added "commentary" after watching the vod.

Hey again, everyone.
After Napsalm made some pacifist speedrun of the wad I decided to update the episode one more (hopefully the last) time.
This update is aimed mostly at pacifist and NoMo parameter speedrunning, though there are some  tiny changes and fixes for casual play.
This is, hopefully, the last patch for E1 so I can focus on other episodes/projects.

Patch notes:

• General - *Fixed incorrect TP angles that matters
                  *Changed various texture mistakes

• Map03 - Map is now beatable with NoMo parameter.
                 Some small improvements to boom "scripting".

• Map04 - Moved trigger line (and added pass action just in case) before the door in the starting room.
              - Moved hitscanner at the end of the map further from the switch that open bars to exit room.
              - Changed geometry where the world hole was located .
                (I could not replicate the glitch for some reason so I have no idea if that fixed anything.)

• Map06 - Changed doors/door switches around mid section to be more consistant.
              - "SMM cover" and corresponding triggers are now branded for better clarity.

• Map07 - Most of the monsters behind the bars will teleport outside their cages if not killed to a certain point.
              - Added monster portal with 4 additional monsters that will spawn after a certain point.
                (4 imps on Skill 1/2 ... 2 imps and 2 knights on skill 3 ... 4 knights on skill 4/5.)
              - Swapped imp for a hell knight in the left bottom corner of the map on skill 4/5.
              - Added NoMo route since the door doesn´t automatically open.
                (To open the door player need to press 1-st (normal progression) button in each corner.)

• Map08 - Using a tiny switch in the first secret that sets a pattern for the 4 switch blood room
                 in bottom right now also swap mancubus for a hell knight in the next room.
                 (The other is crushed near the end of the map. Other patterns still have the mancubus in the way.)
               - Moved dummy sectors for the 3-key room so that raising the room back up is not too loud anymore.

• Map10 - Fixed wrong difficulty tag that prevented 100% on skill 1/2/3

• Map11 - Sped up the opening process of the courtyard door not to slow player too much.
              - Added death exit and secret continuous play exit for future proofing of the map.
                (That includes any speedruns that would otherwise in incompatible with planned full megawad.)
                (Normal exit is accesable by hugging the exit sign for 9 seconds and then quickly pressing
                 revealed exit sign on the west/left wall.)

* I probably still missed some.

Notes I Forgot to mention in the .txt file.

- This version of the wad was tested in GZDoom 4.10.0 and DSDA 0.25.6
  (Had some weird interaction in map06 in GZDoom where red key ignored SMM hitbox and teleported before she died.
   Not really an issue, but it is weird nonetheless, I may have just missed something in the options.)

Edited by Shawny

4 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

RIP Napsalm's demos

Definitely few of them... yeah. I am not too happy about it either.
I haven´t test how many are gone since not all maps have been edited.
I also notified Napsalm in advance and basically asked if I should do this, so I don´t feel that bad.

24 minutes ago, Shawny said:

Definitely few of them... yeah. I am not too happy about it either.
I haven´t test how many are gone since not all maps have been edited.
I also notified Napsalm in advance and basically asked if I should do this, so I don´t feel that bad.

Well I think even texture changes will result in desync...
I'm semi-joking, so don't feel bad about that.

But good thing is that I don't know what to play recently so I can play this :)

Is the BFG on Map08 a joke due to the map name?

If so, You can rocket boost yourself out of the room, but it's a voodoo doll death that you can't avoid, lol...

24 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Is the BFG on Map08 a joke due to the map name?

If so, You can rocket boost yourself out of the room, but it's a voodoo doll death that you can't avoid, lol...

As I mentioned in the previous post, you can get that. Actually getting the BFG is technically a one time secret, even though you
can tag the secret sector without dying anytime.

Spoiler

MAP08-BFG.jpg

Hey, everyone.
Last update to this thread/project (E1).

Final version 1.2 is on IDGames, even though initial .txt file is from previous version.
Downloaded files (.wad .txt) are up to date, I have tested Napsalm demos for v1.2 with it and everything works.

For the final time I want to thank all of you, from people involved in making and archiving the wad to all the players, both casual and speedrunners.