Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tangerine

Doom 1-3 on the Switch?!

Yikes!

With how everyone is interpreting everything, it seems they have even screwed up the ports on modern consoles.

What I find most disappointing, other than the technical issues is the lack of a more refined multiplayer and modding system.

I first played the original games with the BFG Edition on Xbox 360.

Edited by Dylanblitz

20 hours ago, Eurisko said:

Are these ports worth buying if you already own DOOM 3 BFG Edition on 360/PS3?

BFG Edition had No Rest for the Living, which in this port is replaced by Master Levels. It was the Doom Classic Complete release on PSN that had everything. So basically its only worth it for trophy hunting and playing the Master Levels if you've never played them. 

2 hours ago, Devalaous said:

BFG Edition had No Rest for the Living, which in this port is replaced by Master Levels. It was the Doom Classic Complete release on PSN that had everything. So basically its only worth it for trophy hunting and playing the Master Levels if you've never played them. 

Didn't know this port had the master levels. Doom classic complete is something I've wanted for a while actually. Considering buying a cheap PS3 just to have it in my collection.

I haven't really heard anything about the Doom 3 port yet. Have there been any complaints for it?

(I can't check for myself since I don't use a Switch (Or really any console, for that matter), although I imagine it's also based on BFG Edition and it doesn't have the expansion packs.)

On 7/28/2019 at 5:15 AM, WadArchive said:

I have done some digging into the WAD files include in the switch release. As mentioned in another post that the format is basically the same as the Xbox Live Arcade file format

How did you extract the wad files? I managed to copy the ipa files from my iphone, and extracted them. Thats what i get:

doom_assets.png.ea5ba33d397325c3da806252c1ae87b2.png

Opening doom_disk and doom2_disk with an hex editor telling me "UnityFS 5.x.x 2018 3.12f1" in the header.

4 hours ago, Eurisko said:

Didn't know this port had the master levels. Doom classic complete is something I've wanted for a while actually. Considering buying a cheap PS3 just to have it in my collection.

Good luck, they appear to have pulled it from the PlayStation Store. I was going to do the same thing. :/

Okay, i managed to get doom.wad and doom2.wad out of those disk files using an hex editor. Changes to doom.wad are as mentioned here before, new menuback and NIN-Logo removed from E4M1.

As far as i could see, in doom2.wad MAP31 and MAP32 are changed like in the BFG Edition WADS, former humans instead of SS, every swastikas and stuff removed.

MAP06 is now at the end of the WAD, though i haven't found any changes until yet.

Really?! Seriously wondering why Bethesda decided to delist Doom off of the 7th gen consoles. Kind of puts into perspective how vulnerable media is to disappear when it comes to online store-fronts like Steam, PlayStation Store, (etc). They won't last forever. I wouldn't exactly compare this to the Scott Pilgrim game, or Wii Shop situation; Since Doom is extremely popular; And you can still get the wad files; Fortunately though, I purchased Doom Classic Complete before it got delisted.

Such a shame too, like Tangerine mentioned; It's needlessly difficult to get wads like NRFTL through legitimate means because of this; since it was originally bundled with BFG edition.

damn.PNG

NoDoomClassicComplete.jpg

17 hours ago, cybdmn said:

How did you extract the wad files? I managed to copy the ipa files from my iphone, and extracted them. Thats what i get:

Opening doom_disk and doom2_disk with an hex editor telling me "UnityFS 5.x.x 2018 3.12f1" in the header.

The 'UnityFS' header means that it is in an Unity assets bundle, there are tools to extract it however I don't think it compress it so as you did you could just pull the IWAD out. I googled a bundle extractor to get the doom disk file. From there wrote a program based on the format on https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Diskfile, but where it says 'big-endian' it needs to be 'little-endian' as mentioned earlier in the thread, and then extract all the content .

@Diabolución that was me that create those patches

18 hours ago, Jayextee said:

Good luck, they appear to have pulled it from the PlayStation Store. I was going to do the same thing. :/

ahhhhh what? That's just typical. I suppose they don't want them on there as they want people to buy these ports. At least they can't do that with the Xbox 360 ports as they would still be applicable to folks that are still just on that console.

EDIT: Just read one of the posts above and they HAVE deleted those ports too. Jesus , just goes to show that physical media will always be very important.

7 hours ago, WadArchive said:

The 'UnityFS' header means that it is in an Unity assets bundle, there are tools to extract it however I don't think it compress it so as you did you could just pull the IWAD out. I googled a bundle extractor to get the doom disk file. From there wrote a program based on the format on https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Diskfile, but where it says 'big-endian' it needs to be 'little-endian' as mentioned earlier in the thread, and then extract all the content .

Yeah, googleing a little bit said the same, that it is an unity assets file. Copying the IWAD out into a new file, using an hex editor means that its uncompressed. And seeing the paths i the file, i came to the same conclusion, that its a format like those diskfiles in the XBLA releases of Doom/Doom II.

Did you had a chance to compare MAP06 from an original IWAD to the one thats inside of this IWAD? There must be a reason for being on the end of the WAD.

On 8/1/2019 at 1:33 AM, Devalaous said:

to be fair, Master Levels > NRFTL. At least, imho.

If they really wanted to turn heads and screw with people, they could have tossed in SIGIL. Pretty sure that would have caused some commotion lol.

I wonder how long will it be until the original doom.exe + doom.wad become no longer available legally (like pulled off Steam and GOG). Especially the wad, imagine that all these PWADs we have released on /idgames become unusable. Stuff like this I suspect is happening with Doom 3 (BFG Edition replacing it), so why not also with classic Doom... Especially when wanting to get rid of sensitive intellectual property, institutional or extremist displays like NIN, Red Cross or Nazi respectively.

Edited by printz

I expect there would still be some way to extract data somehow so it can be formatted for ports to load.

And if not... well.. at least we'll always have Fredoom to play PWADs.

3 hours ago, printz said:

sensitive intellectual property, institutional or extremist displays like NIN, Red Cross or Nazi respectively.

The NIN logo and the Red Cross I can understand over legalities of copyrights/trademarks... And while I take it they've removed the SS/Swastika references to be more "pc", but it's kind of strange they removed them from DOOM re-releases and yet still pump the new Wolfenstein reboot series full of them to represent the Nazi threat in game.

I wonder what their logic and reasoning for editing out this content from Wolfenstein secret area doom 2 maps could be seeing how Wolfenstein is still a thing and literally covered in Nazi banners and uniforms it even more so than Wolfenstein 3D ever had?

I was thinking perhaps they removed it because "today's gamers wouldn't understand the cross-title reference or have grown too PC as a society", but that's kind of debunked considering it's still in Wolfenstein today.

While we might say they had this removed caving to today's social pressure, let's not forget before Doom 2's secret maps there was a swastika in the drop down ceiling map in Doom 1 that was quickly edited out due to potential controversy or legal standings in certain countries. So it's not just modern issue... the OG id team also did this as well.

Hallo, 

There's nothing wrong with the switch ports IMHO. On my Switch they are doing just fine and it's still fun playing this old games played long time ago 😎. It's DOOM - Ultimate, DOOM ] [ - Hell on earth, with the Master levels and of course the DOOM 3 BFG Edition. 

Mfg

Edited by KickAss

8 hours ago, printz said:

I wonder how long will it be until the original doom.exe + doom.wad become no longer available legally (like pulled off Steam and GOG). Especially the wad, imagine that all these PWADs we have released on /idgames become unusable. Stuff like this I suspect is happening with Doom 3 (BFG Edition replacing it), so why not also with classic Doom... Especially when wanting to get rid of sensitive intellectual property, institutional or extremist displays like NIN, Red Cross or Nazi respectively.

Then Zenimax or whoever would hold the rights at that point can forget about me even considering buying any Doom stuff that was even touched by their greasy hands. Piracy all the way if that happens.

5 hours ago, Ferk said:

I expect there would still be some way to extract data somehow so it can be formatted for ports to load.

And if not... well.. at least we'll always have Fredoom to play PWADs.

That's not a real solution. Let's not forget that the vast majority of texture/sprite replacements rely on having the original sprite/texturesets as the original IWADs.

1 hour ago, -TDRR- said:

Piracy all the way if that happens. 

I don't think Doomworld should ever suggest that, for its own good. Sticking with either Freedoom or data extracted from existing games would be the way.

Unofficially you can do what you want of course.

1 hour ago, -TDRR- said:

the vast majority of texture/sprite replacements rely on having the original sprite/texturesets as the original IWADs. 

That's also not a good thing, imho. And sometimes there's even content from other games mixed in. Though one could argue it's fair use.

13 hours ago, Buckshot said:

I wonder what their logic and reasoning for editing out this content from Wolfenstein secret area doom 2 maps could be seeing how Wolfenstein is still a thing and literally covered in Nazi banners and uniforms it even more so than Wolfenstein 3D ever had?

To prevent a ban in Germany perhaps. Have the new Wolfenstein games been released in Germany in their original, uncensored form? I seem to recall reading something saying TNO was a completely different thing in Germany back when it first came out.

Even though the ban of Nazi imagery in video games was lifted a while ago, but I don't know how this affects the games and their distribution there.

The new Wolfenstein game is released completely uncensored, sort of. Microsoft (for the Xbox One) and some retailers will not sell the uncensored version in germany, but they get an USK (german rating board) rating for the uncensored version, which means they could legally release the uncensored version in germany.

1 hour ago, cybdmn said:

The new Wolfenstein game is released completely uncensored, sort of. Microsoft (for the Xbox One) and some retailers will not sell the uncensored version in germany, but they get an USK (german rating board) rating for the uncensored version, which means they could legally release the uncensored version in germany.

Apparently all the big brick and mortar stores.

I consider that kind of (self) censorship to be highly problematic, because it can be interpreted in several ways: 1) conforming to a law that probably does not apply to it, 2) trying to hide the Nazi past, 3) prevent Nazis from being shown in a negative way.

Looks like the recent console ports release was handled by Nerve Software studio, as a quick Google of the names list them as devs there.

Names in the credits from PS4 version seem to indicate it. Someone just shared the end credits vid to group.

Unless, of course, this is just prexisting carry over data from the Xbox live/360/BFG edition version wads that were used.

Screenshot_20190804-231717~2.png

Screenshot_20190804-231732~2.png

This video is new. In the iPhone version it is inside the app, called "credits nerve.mp4", there were no such video in the XBLA version. Easy to see, that its new, because Todd Hollenshead is credited, who is an nerve employee since 2018. XBLA and BFG Edition versions are older.

42 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

So...why is NRFTL excluded if its still done by Nerve?

$$$ and time me thinks.

Even The Castle himself does look surprised by the lack of No Rest for the Living.

Edited by Diabolución

So a couple of things I'd like to state here if I may.

1. In theory, I believe the Android port was deliberately made to possibly get Delta Touch removed in the future, the way I predicted years back that Super Mario Maker was Nintendo's excuse for going after rom hackers.

2. Bethesda is going to do worse and worse shit in the future and get away with it because filthy casuals give them their money which encourages their poor behavior, no matter how good it's probably going to be, I'm not touching Doom Eternal. (As if one person's personal boycott matters anyway lol)

3. Bethesda may be becoming the next aughties era EA and might be fucking id the way EA fucked Westwood Studios and the other companies they absorbed into their bloated putrid clouds of greed and repugnance. They clearly are aware they can do whatever the hell they want with id's properties since they own them these days.

4. I agree with anyone who said that if the XBLA ports and the PS3 and BFG Edition ports are getting removed from digital stores, then the originals on Steam and GOG may potentially unfortunately be next.

The future is not bright here, Fallout 76 didn't seem to be enough to teach Bethesda a proper lesson.

10 hours ago, Lynnie said:

filthy casuals give them their money

Fascinating, I had no idea only those filthy scumbags play video games.

10 hours ago, Lynnie said:

4. I agree with anyone who said that if the XBLA ports and the PS3 and BFG Edition ports are getting removed from digital stores, then the originals on Steam and GOG may potentially unfortunately be next.

I fail to see any possible reason or excuse for that to happen. I agree that there really was no reason to take those ports down as there's no replacement for them on those platforms, but to take the original collection down on PC, for what? They would have done this by now if they had other plans.