Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tangerine

Doom 1-3 on the Switch?!

8 minutes ago, FreakZoneGames said:

The aspect ratio may bother you (I've explained further up in this thread why it doesn't bother me, it's not the first official version of DOOM to do it and I kinda like having more of my TV taken up)

Might be misunderstanding here, but aspect ratio correction implies having the image and the things displayed correctly, not how much of the screen is being used (ex: running in letterboxed format). I hope they add that for the sake of consistency.

13 minutes ago, FreakZoneGames said:

IMO this is now the best console port of DOOM as it fixes the issues it inherited from the PS360/D3BFG ports.

Not all yet though, this version inherited the desync that occurs in one of the demos from Doom 2 in those versions.

3 minutes ago, ZeroTheEro said:

Now waiting patiently how they would handle Doom 64.

Doom 64 is being handled by Nightdive.

1 minute ago, seed said:

Might be misunderstanding here, but aspect ratio correction implies having the image and the things displayed correctly, not how much of the screen is being used (ex: running in letterboxed format). I hope they add that for the sake of consistency.

Yeah, I know. What I mean is, this isn't the first version of DOOM to use 'square pixels' and personally I like that as the 16:10 aspect ratio gives me a bigger picture to look at. Ideally I'd like to see it re-framed to widescreen while keeping the tall pixels of the original DOS version, like a lot of PC source ports do, but I prefer the 16:10 to having the game all thin in the middle of the screen at 4:3. That's just a personal preference and I understand that many prefer full letterboxing. Look further up the thread to see my explanation/justification.

I can't check out any Doom 2 demos yet as I only have Doom 1 on my Switch, I bought all three on my PS4 but I can't get on my PS4 until later.

Still not really perfect yet; the d-pad is STILL totally unused, really needs the quick weapon select from PS3 version, and the spider mastermind's death plays one of the hell noble's sounds.

Sounds a hell of a lot better, but I miss the 'incorrect lighting' as now the game is as dark as Doom 64 on my TV!

A quick select would be nice actually, yeah. Cycling weapons is a drag. As for the lighting, turn your TV brightness up? It shouldn't be too dark to see, the lighting is correct now.

21 hours ago, FreakZoneGames said:

• Music sounds better and is at full speed. It's a new soundfont, it's definitely Roland SC-55, which is ideal. I did a comparison and it sounds identical.
  • Lighting is now perfect. All rooms are the correct brightness. Tested up to E1M3 for the room where the lights go out, it now blacks out as it should.
  • Retains the DOS color palette; combined with the fixed lighting it means it really looks like it should in the hell levels now, with that 'effervescent' effect where the colours on textures change as they get further away.
  • It's still 16:10 aspect ratio (1:1 pixels), not 4:3 (original DOS aspect ratio). IMO this is fine, your mileage may vary.
  • Appears to still run at 35fps but perhaps frame pacing is a little better? I could be wrong. Currently testing on my Switch in handheld mode, I'll be able to tell this better when I can fire it up on the 4K TV later (where I'll be testing the PS4 version).
  • Bethesda.net login no longer happens automatically, it appears as an option in the menu instead, so startup is much quicker as it goes immediately to the menu instead of trying to log in.

I am extremely pleased that they fixed all of the glaring bugs and so glad to hear they're actually using a proper Roland soundfont - I expected them to fix the speed, but changing the soundfont was actually a step above and beyond.

This port actually seems to be at a point where we could call it superior to Doom95, which is sort of my "how crappy can a port get before it's flat out disgraceful" benchmark. The original release for the Switch was well below and the fact that they've spruced it up is making me consider buying a copy just for the novelty. They surpassed my expectations with this update.

7 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I am extremely pleased that they fixed all of the glaring bugs and so glad to hear they're actually using a proper Roland soundfont - I expected them to fix the speed, but changing the soundfont was actually a step above and beyond.

They didn't so much as "change the soundfont", rather they outright recorded all the music on an actual SC-55: 

Wanting to add in one other change to the patch: the Switch version now lets you use individual Joy-Cons in multiplayer!
Though it did make me wonder, can you play Doom and Doom II with the NES Joy-Cons? If anyone has them on the Switch and the NES Joy-Cons, please, tell me if they work as individual controllers!

22 minutes ago, LadyVader1138 said:

Wanting to add in one other change to the patch: the Switch version now lets you use individual Joy-Cons in multiplayer!

You could do this since launch. ;)

There are two paths the new ports can take. It can only take one:

1) be demo-compatible with the original version

2) allow you to select the fist when you have the chainsaw

3 hours ago, Linguica said:

There are two paths the new ports can take. It can only take one:

1) be demo-compatible with the original version

2) allow you to select the fist when you have the chainsaw

But since it's already been established that this port is not demo-compatible and hasn't been since its origins many years ago, it should be no problem to make non-canonical gameplay alterations now.

On 7/27/2019 at 12:31 PM, SiFi270 said:

If you have the chainsaw, the only way to switch back to the fist is by finding a berserk. Unlike both vanilla and BFG edition, switching to another weapon again after that makes the fist unselectable again. Because the "give berserk" cheat in the menu doesn't automatically switch back to the fist, it can be pointless if you have the chainsaw.

If this is still how it behaves, then that's more of a problem for demo compatibility than letting you select the fist at any time at all, but since the only demos that can be played with these versions are the ones already built in, I don't suppose either will actually come up.

51 minutes ago, Revenant100 said:

But since it's already been established that this port is not demo-compatible and hasn't been since its origins many years ago, it should be no problem to make non-canonical gameplay alterations now.

It's not demo compatible because IIRC the weapon sway code was halved at some point which means weapon switch timing is a little off which means the chaingun does not raise in time and the player dies before he can stunlock the caco. People at id are now aware of this and there is a desire to keep the demo loop intact, so this might get fixed, actually.

tbh my biggest problem with this port is the fact that unlike every single version of doom in existence, holding run button does not make you turn faster. That's something that makes it very hard to play for me. I wish they fix that, but at the same time I know they won't because no one seems to be talking about it. 

5 minutes ago, Chamelenoel said:

tbh my biggest problem with this port is the fact that unlike every single version of doom in existence, holding run button does not make you turn faster. That's something that makes it very hard to play for me. I wish they fix that, but at the same time I know they won't because no one seems to be talking about it. 

Would this be because of a disability by any chance or just something you're not used too? Because that's an old anachronism of keyboard controls, FPS games do not do this for gamepads, instead you press the stick half in to turn slower.

@Chamelenoel @Edward850 I think that for the Xbox 360 versions of Doom 1 and 2 the controls were like that, as in you would hold down the left trigger to run and it would also make turning faster. Again i'm not 100% sure but the last time i played it i believe the controls were like that.

Anyway's, i agree that it's better to just have a sensitivity option in FPS games as in the 360 version there was no way to adjust the turning sensitivity so maybe that why run made turning faster...

14 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

think that for the Xbox 360 versions of Doom 1 and 2 the controls were like that, as in you would hold down the left trigger to run and it would also make turning faster. Again i'm not 100% sure but the last time i played it i believe the controls were like that.

Yes you're correct, I played both recently on 360. 

17 hours ago, Chamelenoel said:

Oh no no nonono, I hate when they put that in the games, the turning has gotta always be the same sensitivity for me.

As for the people saying this wasn't a thing, it was present in the PS360 version and on the PS360 port of Wolfenstein as well (though Wolfenstein's default turn speed was so slow that it was really hard to play without holding the trigger to run at all times.

If they were to add this back in I would certainly hope they made it optional.

There was an update recently for Doom on on the Switch. Its current version number is 1.0.3 and here's all the changes I noticed:

1. Music tempo was fixed.
  2. Screen scaling option was removed. (Could be a response to @Linguica's observation with incorrect and ugly screen scaling but as far as I can tell it's still there). As it stands the screen is fully scaled in singleplayer, and it's not scaled on local multiplayer.
  3. New features on the main-menu were added such as Bethesda.net, where you can change your account, and News, where it tells you information about Doom Eternal and I assume Doom-related news. Bethesda.net has an online/offline indicator to the left of it.
Spoiler

Menu (notice the indicator says I'm offline)

Bethesdanet.jpg.37b5c007db2ee6257e11035889c55626.jpg

Bethesda.net option.

News.jpg.ce04e971700af1b844187264a4b449bb.jpg

News.

Baaah just realized that it updated a while ago. Would be nice if they can eventually address the resolution and scaling issue and do something about the online requirement. It's annoying and unnecessary.

Edited by UndeadRyker : I'm slow

6 hours ago, UndeadRyker said:

and do something about the online requirement

That's also removed, and in fact arguably wasn't there to start with. It only needed you online once to link your account and that was it, and even that's gone now (you can skip account linking entirely). It works offline fine. 

I manage to rip the iwad files using the android version.

It seems that is the 1.9 not the 1.11 wads

16 minutes ago, MadGuy said:

I manage to rip the iwad files using the android version.

It seems that is the 1.9 not the 1.11 wads

1.11??

I would assume it is based on the 1.9 IWAD, but edited, given that the red cross is still removed, and the NIN symbol on E4M1, along with whatever else.

On 9/29/2019 at 10:22 AM, Linguica said:

People at id are now aware of this and there is a desire to keep the demo loop intact, so this might get fixed, actually.

BTW this is likely to be fixed in a future update.

That NIN logo removal is still the weirdest censorship decision. I can get the rationale for removing the Wolf walls, and the red crosses, but the NIN Easter egg? That's just bizarre.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

That NIN logo removal is still the weirdest censorship decision. I can get the rationale for removing the Wolf walls, and the red crosses, but the NIN Easter egg? That's just bizarre.

Could some licensing stuff be the reason for the removal?

2 hours ago, Linguica said:

I would assume it is based on the 1.9 IWAD, but edited, given that the red cross is still removed, and the NIN symbol on E4M1, along with whatever else.

Which begs the question: Why did they not use that IWAD instead since it seems to be  more-or-less identical? It even inherits the desync.