Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CrbnBased

Doom 25th anniversary surprise!

Hello all, I just wanted to let you know that Bethesda has released official Doom and Doom 2 apps for mobile.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/07/26/bethesda-doom-ii-android/

I'm sticking with Delta Touch for it's sheer awesomeness, but it begs the question, will they allow Delta Touch to remain on the app store?

There are also other concerns I have upon this release.

1.  Why is the file so large?  It's over 330MB... For Doom 2, which came on floppy's.  Delta Touch has 8 source ports and is less than 200MB.  They added some maps, but those are less than 8MB.

2.  No description of controls in the app info, is it compatible with controllers or mouse and keyboard or am I stuck with touch?

3.  In the pictures it seems as if there is no widescreen support, same with the video.  Also, again, I'm not shown an onscreen button layout.

4. Is this the same app we lost ages ago?  I don't want them taking away an app I bought because they don't want to support it anymore, plus the controls on that one were a hot mess.

5.  No mod support and no suggestion of any type of multiplayer support, both have been a staple of Doom since the beginning.

I don't want Bethesda to come down on Delta Touch, we would lose the best app to play Doom, only to be replaced by some garbage cash in because of Doom Eternal.

I'm not sure if Beloko has heard about this release and if Delta Touch will be safe.  If not I'm willing to buy the APK directly from Open Touch/Beloko before they have it removed.  I only have Google devices, I can't play Doom otherwise.

** Update **

Reviews are coming in and it seems you have to create a Bethesda account to play!  It supports some controllers but not all.  It has no access to the wad files to play other wads.  There are reports of sluggish touch controls similar to the older iOS and Android versions that were removed.  There is an issue with multi touch.  And now I went back to read some more reviews and they're gone, lol.

Edited by CrbnBased : Reviews are available.

Lol you beat me to posting a topic lol 

Yeah, it looks like utter shit honestly. Just a basic ass app. 

I'll definitely stick with Delta Touch anyways, nothing else compares to it. 

And they showcased Doom 3 in their reveal trailer but that is separate, in that Nividia has right with ZeniMax to sell the BFG Edtion app. 

I have a new Samsung Galaxy phone and when I try to buy the BFG Edtion app, it says my phone isn't compatible. Pppffff, my fucking LG G5 can handle Doom 3. Maybe not the BFG Edition but Doom 3, yep.

Not even having wad/mod support, it's a fucking slap in the face to the doom world community  imho.

It's utter trash. 

Too bad id sold out......they used to be great

They can't do anything about Delta Touch, there's no infringements or threats of standalone properties etc Delta Touch isn't going anywhere but Bitchthesda should have taken note of how to do it right @beloko

Yep been discussing this on Discord. Downloaded and had a play, had to make a Bethesda account on my PC as the built in account option didn't work which was annoying. 

Does work, the controls are pretty basic but usable, music seems to be pretty slow. Also it is massive, 300 to 400mb! Uses Unity as a wrapper and some software source port not sure which. 

Hopefully it Delta will be OK, it doesn't infringe anything but you never know with Google! 

5 minutes ago, Welfare Prodigy said:

They can't do anything about Delta Touch, there's no infringements or threats of standalone properties etc Delta Touch isn't going anywhere but Bitchthesda should have taken note of how to do it right 

When there's money involved there are always potential issues.  Beloko didn't have anything on the play store for some time because of a decision by Google.  And now with Bethesda re-releasing a obvious cash grab, that Google gets a portion of, and can advertise heavily, I see them asking Google to have the competing apps removed.  And, sadly, they might, just to not cause trouble.

As for Doom 3 BFG, I know right!?  If Qualcomm would get their act together they'd have Nvidia for breakfast.  It's all drivers, update the drivers and we could run Xbox 360 quality titles on these phones.  I know for a fact that the Snapdragon 855 can run Doom (2016) it's just not optimized for it, it runs on a Tegra x1 with 4gb of shared ram!

To Qualcomm I say...

@beloko I wouldn't worry about Delta. As we have seen in the past, ZeniMax legal keep a close eye on (ppfff) their property. They would have said someth in ng to you by now but they can't anyways, everything about your app is your property and everything your app offers is all open source.

2 minutes ago, CrbnBased said:

When there's money involved there are always potential issues.  Beloko didn't have anything on the play store for some time because of a decision by Google.  And now with Bethesda re-releasing a obvious cash grab, that Google gets a portion of, and can advertise heavily, I see them asking Google to have the competing apps removed

Doom Touch was different, it used the name "Doom" in its app name. The word Doom isn't an infringement but using it in the context of what the app is about is one of main concerns Google had back then.

Even after he renamed it D-Touch, at that point Google was just being bitchy. If there was a problem with Delta, it never would never have been accepted into the Play Store to begin with. 

And yes, I completely agree about running 360 titles on smartphones, it's sad it's taken even Msoft this long to do what it plans in the future. 

I used to mod original Xbox's back in the day, where do you think Msoft got the idea for their marketplace when the 360 hit, or the fact of installing games to run smoother......

18 hours ago, Welfare Prodigy said:

Not even having wad/mod support, it's a fucking slap in the face to the doom world community  imho.

This is an instant show-stopper for everyone, not everybody wants to play the IWADs ad-infinitum.

Is it always online also? That would be the deal-breaker for me. I'd specifically want to play it in offline situations. 

This is my first time hearing about Delta Touch. I might try that instead. 

@Coopersville definitely check out Delta Touch,  you can do anything on it as you can on PC using GZDoom, Zandronum etc, you will not be disappointed. 

@Armaetus maybe for some but honestly, it's a last minute shit fest of an app Bethesda slapped together because of Doom Eternal coming out. 

I've yet to read one good review about it and as @Coopersville pointed out, most likely it's 'online play' so if Bethesda ever decides to shut down the app, you wont be able to play it anymore. Ridge Racer Slipstream was the same way. When Bandai Namco shut down the app, you could not play it offline. (Unless you modded it to play offline) 

It's a waste of money and no matter what anyone says, Bethesda's Doom & Doom II apps are shit. Period. Look at the file sizes Bethesda has for D I & II....ridiculous. Also look at how long Doom and Doom II lasted on iPhone's appstore, Google's wont be around for too long. And John Carmack mobilized Doom & Dom II for Apple, if that tells you anything.

And unless you have Nividia hardware, forget about playing Doom 3 BFG Edition on mobile. 

I now have a new Samsung Galaxy phone which can more than handle it. My previous LG G5 could handle Doom 3 as easy as it is to wipe my ass so that's a bunch of crap too. 

I'm not 25 years deep in the doomworld community but am as a game player, Doom holds a place in my heart like no other game. Despite the fact I'm not a doomworld staple in the community, I still feel like it's a slap in the face to doomworld, who is the sole reason Doom is still around 25+ years later.

Edited by Welfare Prodigy

Oh cool doom 2 rpg is back on ios app store and available  in 64 bit now

No Wolf rpg though 

Edit: false alarm sorry 

Edited by Jon