Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DustFalcon85

Doom 64 coming to PC and modern consoles?

14 minutes ago, scalliano said:

EX, probably.

EX should be safe, it's just an EXE with no actual game data. The user has to supply the ROM and run WadGen. Without that, EX is useless.

I'd bet on BD64, and probably Retribution.

Thinking about it, it'll likely have the exact same controls as the ports of Doom and Doom II.

55 minutes ago, wheresthebeef said:

Singleplayer only? :(

Well, Doom 64 was multiplayer only originally, so this isn't a surprise.

Multiplayer would be an extremely intrusive change, it's not something you can do trivially.

Given that Night Dive's apparently had a hand in this, I wouldn't be surprised if Kaiser's work is being used here.

6 minutes ago, LadyVader1138 said:

Thinking about it, it'll likely have the exact same controls as the ports of Doom and Doom II.

Well, Doom 64 was multiplayer only originally, so this isn't a surprise.

You know what it won't have?

Chaingunners.

Just now, Gerardo194 said:

Hmmm @Dark Pulse I'm gonna give them my chaingunner then, hahaha

Oh, don't worry, I'm sure the GEC ROM hack of Doom 64 will have lots and lots of chaingunners...

...If that ever happens.

Y'know, if it ever comes to PC (which it might considering the PC and PS4 ratings after QC), I might get it since it looks like it has the 3-point bilinear filter Kaiser's had in the works for a while now:

Switch_DOOM64_01.png

On a side note, I was slightly offended by the decision to play BFG Division in the trailer.

So now the modern consoles have

The Ultimate Doom

Doom II: Hell on Earth + The Master Levels for Doom II

Doom 3 BFG Edition

Doom 64

So they're still missing

Final Doom

Doom II: No Rest for the Living

Maybe they could sell the last two together. It would be a shame to have almost all of Classic Doom on one device.

9 minutes ago, famicommander said:

So now the modern consoles have

The Ultimate Doom

Doom II: Hell on Earth + The Master Levels for Doom II

Doom 3 BFG Edition

Doom 64

So they're still missing

Final Doom

Doom II: No Rest for the Living

Maybe they could sell the last two together. It would be a shame to have almost all of Classic Doom on one device.

Agreed. I really want that sooooo badly.

15 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

You know what it won't have?

Chaingunners.

You're evil for bringing that up.

1 hour ago, scalliano said:

Except for one Nightmare Imp dying, none of the gameplay here shows a single iota of blood or gore. The footage cuts the frame before a demon dies, and the player can't even use any hitscan weapons. After all these years, I guess Nintendon't really still don't!

But, of course, I kid! The game certainly isn't going to be censored, surely!

Wait a minute...

YJudYCS.png

BETHESDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, LadyVader1138 said:

You're evil for bringing that up.

Don't worry though!

What it WILL have is you getting a facial from a Shotgun Guy you thought was a Zombieman, because you'll never tell the damn things apart, especially in the dark.

1 minute ago, Dark Pulse said:

Don't worry though!

What it WILL have is you getting a facial from a Shotgun Guy you thought was a Zombieman, because you'll never tell the damn things apart, especially in the dark.

Yeah, I'll admit, I'm not looking forward to that part. But to be fair, I treat them the same anyway, other than priority on taking out Shotgunners.

1 minute ago, Revenant100 said:

Except for one Nightmare Imp dying, none of the gameplay here shows a single iota of blood or gore. The footage cuts the frame before a demon dies, and the player can't even use any hitscan weapons. After all these years, I guess Nintendon't really still don't!

I'm guessing they just didn't want to show gore in the Direct, but that the game will have all the traditional gore, even on Switch. :D

Just now, LadyVader1138 said:

Yeah, I'll admit, I'm not looking forward to that part. But to be fair, I treat them the same anyway, other than priority on taking out Shotgunners.

Yeah, and that's the kicker. You don't know, so you won't prioritize.

Then they'll turn out to be Shotgun Guys, and so usually you'll turn around to kill them and eat a couple dozen points off your Health after you've mopped up some Imps or Pinkies or something.

3 minutes ago, Revenant100 said:

The game certainly isn't going to be censored, surely!

Wait a minute...

YJudYCS.png

BETHESDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's actually not Bethesda's fault, that's the International Red Cross cracking down on that. You won't see red health crosses in most any game anymore, not just Bethesda stuff.

Just now, LadyVader1138 said:

Is it wrong that with this, I just want them to add Quake as well to the Switch?

Yes, because Quake II is better.

20 minutes ago, LadyVader1138 said:

But Quake has an atmosphere that just is so cool.

No, it really doesn't, not compared to Quake II anyway. Doom felt coherent - start in a military base, go to corrupted military base, go to Hell, (come back to Hell on Earth). Quake II felt like a nice progression deeper and deeper into Strogg territory.

Quake I? It's basically a potpourri, with no real order or progression, just a succession of levels.

I'd think that if we were to take a good look at what impressed in terms of coherence versus simply having cool tech, Quake doesn't hold up. In a lot of ways, it's Doom, but in 3D. It needs more than that, it needs to be, well, Quake II or Unreal. Cool as shit on the technical merits, but in terms of actual ports, I'd much, much, much rather play one of those than Quake.

It just makes sense that they would have Nightdive behind the remaster. Repurposing the work Kaiser has done already seems more practical than getting a different developer make their own port from scratch.

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

That's actually not Bethesda's fault, that's the International Red Cross cracking down on that. You won't see red health crosses in most any game anymore, not just Bethesda stuff.

And hey, at least the new graphic looks nice. The pill sprites that Nerve has made for their DOOM and Duke 3D ports look kinda terrible and out of place.

13 minutes ago, chemo said:

And hey, at least the new graphic looks nice. The pill sprites that Nerve has made for their DOOM and Duke 3D ports look kinda terrible and out of place.

Get PILLS against my orders. Get moving!

The trailer footage was way too bright and the decision to use Doom '16 music instead of actual Doom 64 music is very misleading to new people as they are just going to assume that Doom 64's OST sounds like that yet its nothing like...

Neat, and not-so-neat.

One, it's real and happening. But so far it seems to be Nintendo exclusive :(. We got screwed again. And I agree, Doom 2016 music in the trailer was a very poor choice since people who have never seen it before will think that's how the game sounds like, which couldn't be farther from the truth.

2 hours ago, LadyVader1138 said:

But Quake has an atmosphere that just is so cool.

+1. Better music and gameplay as well. Tried to play Q2 twice recently, and both times I had to quit after 10 mins. Just how much fun it was for me... Just like Heretic, that's an interesting game to watch, but not to play.

31 minutes ago, seed said:

Neat, and not-so-neat.

One, it's real and happening. But so far it seems to be Nintendo exclusive :(. We got screwed again. And I agree, Doom 2016 music in the trailer was a very poor choice since people who have never seen it before will think that's how the game sounds like, which couldn't be farther from the truth.

+1. Better music and gameplay as well. Tried to play Q2 twice recently, and both times I had to quit after 10 mins. Just how much fun it was for me... Just like Heretic, that's an interesting game to watch, but not to play.

It's not going to be Nintendo exclusive. The ratings boards in Europe and Australia already rated the game for release on PC and PS4.

They're just holding off on announcing the other platforms because Nintendo gave them the spotlight on Nintendo Direct to announce the game. Give it a day or so and I'm positive they'll confirm PC, PS4, and Xbox One releases at minimum.