Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DustFalcon85

Doom 64 coming to PC and modern consoles?

46 minutes ago, marver0PS said:

Are you supposed to lose the demon keys when you die? Because EX didn't do that.

You lose everything when you die. That's been in Doom since Doom. Load from a save or password.

21 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Did you make sure the textures were in 8bit as suggested? Doom64 sprites are a little weird, the game is true colour but each graphic can and is intended to have its own 8bit palette.

Oh ya, I used one of the Doom64.wad textures and simply renamed it, still crashes. Exported it out and it is indeed an 8 bit image. Attached the problematic wad for reference (in the zip). The two levels are from Doom 64 Community Chest, which do work when the additional texture is removed. Note: the additional texture isn't the one missing in the first level, just a test one to see if I can get it to load a level without crashing.

D64CPtest10.zip

Edited by Immorpher

23 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

Also not being able to choose levels separately. That would of been a nice QOL feature.

If you beat the level 1 secret level Hectic, you unlock "Features" menu which includes a level select

Switch version has a very annoying disadvantage in comparison to Xbox One and pc versions(probably PS4 as well).

You can't bind weapons at all on Switch. You only have Next/Previous weapon buttons.

You could easily bind 4 weapons to d-pad alone on switch.

I've been playing the xbox one version and it's been almost as good as when I play on GZDOOM(only things missing for me are 180 quick turn and being able see the level stats). A fantastic console port of a classic Doom game.

I played couple levels on Switch today and noticed this problem. I personally would not want to play the whole game(unless it was the only option) always having to slowly scroll through the weapons.

I hope it will be added at some point.

I have beaten Hectic and had the features unlocked however upon completing the game on the same save file I lost the features menu, so keep that in mind.

-

I never played Doom 64 before, I've had the opportunity to over the years but never did because I didn't like how it looked. Come current day and I am kicking myself for my arrogance, I missed out on a real winner here, whilst there is not a chance in hell I would have done it on original hardware on Watch Me Die, Doom 64 has probably the best level design (especially that texture work God damn) and best atmosphere (even better than Doom 3) in the series.

The only gripe I have is how ridiculous the Lost Soul is, I hate them but who said it would be easy, afterall I "look so good in black"

I actually love the D64 Lost Souls. Finally they behave more like an actual enemy instead of a dumb moving wall...

AND they're also weaker.

22 hours ago, Edward850 said:

You lose everything when you die. That's been in Doom since Doom. Load from a save or password.

So, I've never played the original N64 version, but... really? You lose the demon keys as well? That doesn't make sense to me, from a game design perspective, since you can't go back to get them again... that said, if that's how it originally was, then whatever.

Yeah, I never knew this either, and indeed, it's one supremely stupid thing to do since they're impossible to get again....

Or are they? Couldn't you just use the passwords to go back to the maps? Or do the keys just not respawn anymore either?

8 logo or warning screens to sit through before you even get to the main menu.

Come on. This is a 1997 game. I can beat 2 or 3 maps in the N64 version in the same time it takes just to get to the menu on Switch, 23 years later.

1 hour ago, maxmanium said:

So, I've never played the original N64 version, but... really? You lose the demon keys as well? That doesn't make sense to me, from a game design perspective, since you can't go back to get them again... that said, if that's how it originally was, then whatever.

Yes, that's how it worked, however you were also able to restore the level directly from the password (which gets automatically entered whenever you advance to a new level).

Edited by Edward850

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but is it possible to turn on the bilinear filtering for the HUD elements?

It seems to only affect the textures and world objects, but your HUD weapons and the ammo/health/armor counters are still crispy pixels. Most people turn off the filters anyways, but in Doom 64's case I like to have it on for authenticity. The inconsistency between the filtered sprites and the unfiltered HUD stuff is a bit jarring for me though.

I messed around with the antialiasing options aswell, but that too only affects world objects and textures, but doesn't affect the HUD elements.

8 minutes ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

but in Doom 64's case I like to have it on for authenticity

If it's authenticity you wan't, then turning on bilinear filtering would do the exact opposite. Doom64 never had bilinear filtering and all 2D elements (the HUD, menus, etc) were unfiltered. You might be thinking of emulators, which got N64 graphics very wrong.

5 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

You might be thinking of emulators, which got N64 graphics very wrong.

Oh definitely. I never owned an N64, and most footage I see from it seems to be emulated in that case. Thanks for clearing that up

1 hour ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

Oh definitely. I never owned an N64, and most footage I see from it seems to be emulated in that case. Thanks for clearing that up

Put this video on 1080p and look at the shotgun here when the player walks over a lit area, you can see the pixely look of the weapon. Even on the thumbnail it shows. And that's with Youtube compression. Of course, the game looked different depending on the CRT the owner had ...

Downloaded this on my daughter's Switch a couple of days ago...then once I saw that classic Doom was available (and fixed through after-release patches), I snatched that up too.

I played through Doom 64 on N64, way back when it was first released, in time eventually traded in the system, and then bought an N64 and Doom 64 cart just to play through it again in the early 2000s.  I still have them and was just about to give it another go when I saw that D64 was coming out for the Switch and other consoles, so I decided to wait until I could download it. 

I enjoyed D64 quite a bit on the N64, but after having spent considerable time in the years that followed playing PSOne Doom, and then Xbox360 Xbox Live Doom, going back to D64 definitely takes some getting used to...I forgot how different it feels initially (textures, enemy re-designs, etc).  When I first played it on N64 back in 1997, I played through the first few levels, wasn't quite feeling it...then gave it a second chance a couple of weeks later, and it "took".  I've seen some complaints about the N64 controller, but I thought D64 controlled like a breeze on the N64, with some minor tweaking of the controller settings.  I'm finding it a little tougher to get it "right" on the Switch.  It's very sensitive (still trying to find that "just right" setting), and oddly it almost seems TOO smooth.  I also accidentally keep clicking the left stick, so I'm constantly toggling "Auto Run" off and on.  

I'm also having the same reaction that I did back in 1997...as soon as I played classic Doom on the Switch, that immediately felt like home, with D64 again feeling like some stranger.  And classic Doom on the Switch IS a terrific version...looks great on the Switch's smaller screen (I have it in 4:3 mode), and I turn off Bobby Prince's music (never liked much of those tunes; the first version I played that had music with the PSX version and that will always feel right to me...Prince's tunes just sound too silly and dated by comparison).  I have Aubrey Hodges' PSX Extended Soundtrack, and I play that through my computer next to me as I play through classic...I couldn't enjoy that arrangement more.  I miss the PSX's lighting sometimes, and some of the missions beyond Episode 1 really drag in classic (I prefer some of PSX's shortened missions), but playing classic on the Switch is truly a blast.  

I'll definitely circle back to D64 sooner than later...just got to get a handle on finding a comfortable control scheme, and again getting used to its much different visuals.  Pretty awesome to be able to play these games in all of their improved glory on a handheld though.  Going to be enjoying these quite a bit.  

Looking at some videos of Doom 64 (mostly on the real console) I find it weird that the default is "Bring it on". It is like a trap, the name suggests it is probably the normal/medium difficulty and well ... it is the default after all.

But this difficulty is just crap. You start the game and there are no enemies in the cages. They're useless empty cages. You walk into the corridor and while killing the zombiemen a trap door opens behind you. Oh, wait, it is only a closet with health in this difficulty. Ah, yes, a health trap! Huh?! Then on the upper level normally there is the switch you press and easily run to the closet that opens and get the key. But on "Bring it on" difficulty the blue key is just thrown on the ground next to the switch like an empty soda can. Huh??!!!

It is a travesty and it is sad that so many people get sucked into selecting this difficulty.

Honestly, Watch Me Die is the only way to go. It's not like Nightmare with Fast Monsters and Respawning Monsters, but a lot of the traps are actually traps, dangerous, fun.

Makes the last few levels of the first campaign interesting. Played the 2nd campaign on WMD, so I don't know how horribly toned the monsters and traps are on that.

On 3/23/2020 at 1:20 AM, Tarvis said:

If you beat the level 1 secret level Hectic, you unlock "Features" menu which includes a level select

Oh cool! Thanks! It's been so long since i've played the game :)

On 3/23/2020 at 5:14 PM, famicommander said:

Come on. This is a 1997 game. I can beat 2 or 3 maps in the N64 version in the same time it takes just to get to the menu on Switch, 23 years later.

Yeah i noticed that too. I don't mind watching them a few times and i understand why they have to show them but being able to skip them would be nice. Obviously on PC you can with a command line but yeah...on console no. Of course this is just a minor gripe.

On 3/23/2020 at 8:08 PM, Edward850 said:

If it's authenticity you wan't, then turning on bilinear filtering would do the exact opposite. Doom64 never had bilinear filtering and all 2D elements (the HUD, menus, etc) were unfiltered. You might be thinking of emulators, which got N64 graphics very wrong.

Ah i thought so. I like how it looks with everything off tbh. Nice and crispy ;)

4 hours ago, VGA said:

Looking at some videos of Doom 64 (mostly on the real console) I find it weird that the default is "Bring it on". It is like a trap, the name suggests it is probably the normal/medium difficulty and well ... it is the default after all.

But this difficulty is just crap. You start the game and there are no enemies in the cages. They're useless empty cages. You walk into the corridor and while killing the zombiemen a trap door opens behind you. Oh, wait, it is only a closet with health in this difficulty. Ah, yes, a health trap! Huh?! Then on the upper level normally there is the switch you press and easily run to the closet that opens and get the key. But on "Bring it on" difficulty the blue key is just thrown on the ground next to the switch like an empty soda can. Huh??!!!

It is a travesty and it is sad that so many people get sucked into selecting this difficulty.

Yeah i'm playing on "Bring It On" and it's rather easy. Easier than HMP is on Doom and Doom II imo. But w/e. A playthrough on this difficulty to refresh my memory is fine for me especially since i'm playing on console (XB1). I am getting better at playing the Doom games with a controller though, so that's a good thing :)

The problem is that at WMD difficulty there are more tedious fights against Barons and Hellknights. So I Own Doom is easy and WMD too tedious. I wish they had a 4th difficulty between these two and it just had fewer health items and same enemies as I Own Doom.

You could change the difficulty from BIO to IOD using that online password generator. Input your password, decode it, change the skill level and encode it. Then input that on your Switch.

I find Doom 64 on WMD easier than Doom 2 or classic at UV tbh. There is so much ammos available that i'm able to be full on every weapons despite the large amount of Barons or Hell Knights.

I had a bit of fun with fast mode on the EX port, I wish they implemented fast monsters mode on the new release.

I have actually been enjoying the barons on WMD, really getting my super shotgun practice in. Getting close as I can to make the most of each shot, and avoiding their fire balls. Now a single Baron can be boring unless you're weaving through a bunch of tight corridors, but having a bunch of them is a nice challenge.

12 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

I had a bit of fun with fast mode on the EX port, I wish they implemented fast monsters mode on the new release.

-fast or -skill 5

Just wanted to congratulate Night-Dive and the entire team who worked on the new port Doom 64 for bringing this forgotten classic to modern platforms. I just beat the original levels as well as the new and excellent "lost levels" a day ago and had an all-around great time. My favorite maps were Alter of Pain, Pitfalls, and finally Plant Ops from the lost levels.  

On dimanche 22 mars 2020 at 3:42 AM, SteelPH said:

After some experimentation, it seems adding sprite replacements seems to shift what graphic the Unmaker uses for its lasers. In this case, from replacing three sprites, it shifted what it uses down three entries, picking out the dart graphic three entries below the intended laser graphic.

Makes sense with Doom64's index-based approach to retrieving graphic lumps.

Like, you have the alphabet: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Then you replace three letters, but you do that by loading them separately: abcdfghjklmopqrstuvwxyzEIN

Now when you look for the 15th letter, it's no longer 'o', it's now 'r'.

Probably solution: replace all sprites.

6 hours ago, DesecratorJ said:

I find Doom 64 on WMD easier than Doom 2 or classic at UV tbh. There is so much ammos available that i'm able to be full on every weapons despite the large amount of Barons or Hell Knights.

Same here, and weapons also carry more punch. So, D64 never gets tedious, at least not for me, despite the presence of Barons and HKs everywhere sometimes.

38 minutes ago, Gez said:

Probably solution: replace all sprites.

Just note we currently consider this a bug. Probably don't resort to that just yet.

On lundi 23 mars 2020 at 11:14 PM, famicommander said:

Rename or delete the movies folder to skip through them.