Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DustFalcon85

Doom 64 coming to PC and modern consoles?

20 minutes ago, Gez said:

Rename or delete the movies folder to skip through them.

There's also a command line argument for that too, or console cvar.

1 hour ago, seed said:

Same here, and weapons also carry more punch. So, D64 never gets tedious, at least not for me, despite the presence of Barons and HKs everywhere sometimes.

I feel almost like cheating using the Unmaker because it's so powerful that it rekts everything so easily and fast. They even provide some Invulnerability sphere to make things even simplier at moments where there's a little more things going on.

10 minutes ago, DesecratorJ said:

I feel almost like cheating using the Unmaker because it's so powerful that it rekts everything so easily and fast. They even provide some Invulnerability sphere to make things even simplier at moments where there's a little more things going on.

Hey, classic Doom did the same, did it not :p .

I think this is due to the fact that it ultimately comes from a time when there were no standards, and the controls setup was... really not ideal for a FPS, so they probably had to design things around these aspects.

2 hours ago, DesecratorJ said:

Yeah, especially once you start getting the Demon Artifacts, it does throw off the weapon balance a bit.  I feel like I don't need to bother with either the plasma gun or the BFG much, once I have even a partially upgraded Unmaker in my arsenal.  Probably would've been better if the Unmaker had its own type of ammo, and in fairly limited supply, as to preserve general balance.  

12 minutes ago, Devils950003 said:

Yeah, especially once you start getting the Demon Artifacts, it does throw off the weapon balance a bit.  I feel like I don't need to bother with either the plasma gun or the BFG much, once I have even a partially upgraded Unmaker in my arsenal.  Probably would've been better if the Unmaker had its own type of ammo, and in fairly limited supply, as to preserve general balance.  

Yep, as soon as you have let's say, two demon artifacts, which is by level 13, you literally obliterate everything without worrying much about ammos.

9 minutes ago, DesecratorJ said:

Yep, as soon as you have let's say, two demon artifacts, which is by level 13, you literally obliterate everything without worrying much about ammos.

But here's the question - how many people actually use the Unmaker non-stop? I definitely only use it on bosses.

Just now, seed said:

But here's the question - how many people actually use the Unmaker non-stop? I definitely only use it on bosses.

Pretty much the same here (or on occasion for tougher enemies), but I just never loved the fact that an Unmaker with two artifacts pretty much renders both the plasma gun and BFG obsolete.  I still think the Unmaker should have its own ammo, with just enough available that you really have to think about when and where you want to use it.    

I Trink the unmaker best use, it's on the last level of the lost levels, it's like, Here it's your OP weapon, now look to the keys in this wave of monsters and kill the mother demon.

3 hours ago, Gez said:

Rename or delete the movies folder to skip through them.

He said he is on Switch.

Playing this on Switch and having a blast. Playing on Watch Me Die and like I did on the original N64 controller, using none of the sticks for movement. Just got through the first level and Hectic, the rest of the main game should be smooth to get through. Really excited to get to the new maps.

Is it just me, or do the spawn pads in Watch Your Step trigger whether you walk over them or not?

1 hour ago, scalliano said:

Is it just me, or do the spawn pads in Watch Your Step trigger whether you walk over them or not?

Yeah that's what I noticed as well, dunno if it's a bug or something.

Also, first time I got into the last level of the game, I went to close the demons cages and the mother demon never actually spawned, I had to reload the game lol.

3 hours ago, scalliano said:

That's how it's supposed to be. If you open the map in Doom Builder 64, you'll see trigger things placed across the entire path where a tile is. Completely unavoidable.

2 hours ago, DesecratorJ said:

Also, first time I got into the last level of the game, I went to close the demons cages and the mother demon never actually spawned, I had to reload the game lol.

If you don't cross into the middle area by walking down the steps, the battle will not start. It's a bad place to put the trigger lines but it is what it is.

It's possible to break the second map of the Lost Levels. The PE/Arach trap that triggers when you hit the blue key, if you retreat back into the room where you picked up the blue key and then drop off that balcony you CANNOT return to the area with the PE's as, in true D64 fashion, that stairway behind the yellow door is now blocked off with a wall. Good job I quicksaved, eh?

8 hours ago, scalliano said:

It's possible to break the second map of the Lost Levels. The PE/Arach trap that triggers when you hit the blue key, if you retreat back into the room where you picked up the blue key and then drop off that balcony you CANNOT return to the area with the PE's as, in true D64 fashion, that stairway behind the yellow door is now blocked off with a wall. Good job I quicksaved, eh?

Yeah, I hadn’t so I had to noclip to continue the level.

What is the number, quality and length of the new maps compared to the original campaign?

I believe it’s a nine-level “episode” and then a bonus fun map. I haven’t finished playing through them yet but they’re comparable in length to the originals.

9 hours ago, VGA said:

What is the number, quality and length of the new maps compared to the original campaign?

They're good but the length is actually typically longer than the average Doom 64 map, not by much but significant enough to mention, the final level is also quite the battle (although the final fight is easily *accidentally* exploited due to some quirks with the game itself, nothing could've been done to prevent them).

Sorry if this has already been asked: I'm playing the Xbone version, and for the life of me can't figure out how to unbind anything. I want to switch weapons with the D-pad like the console ports of Doom and Doom 2, but I can't figure out how to get rid of the default D-pad binds, resulting in them working for both weapon switches and turning.

1 hour ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

Sorry if this has already been asked: I'm playing the Xbone version, and for the life of me can't figure out how to unbind anything. I want to switch weapons with the D-pad like the console ports of Doom and Doom 2, but I can't figure out how to get rid of the default D-pad binds, resulting in them working for both weapon switches and turning.

Press the same key to unbind. 

On 3/28/2020 at 4:13 AM, scalliano said:

How do you access the lost levels?

31 minutes ago, Bob9001 said:

How do you access the lost levels?

Go through the normal campaign or unlock the "Feature" menu by beating level 32 "Hectic" I guess.

10 hours ago, DesecratorJ said:

Go through the normal campaign or unlock the "Feature" menu by beating level 32 "Hectic" I guess.

Or by using this password: W83M 7H20 BDY0 N9VB

and easily beat just the last level.

Easiest difficulty, all demon keys and weapons. 

For anyone not that familiar with the last map:

Spoiler

Press all the switches near the “portals” to close them when enemies start to spawn in. And use Unmaker for the Mother Demon.

Edited by plynthus

4 hours ago, KainXavier said:

Was Map 25 updated to count the hidden hallway as a secret area or did the "secret area" text always appear?

Pretty sure it always appeared, though on the N64 the text color was white like every other item so it might’ve blended in a bit.

Is the Features Menu not saved in a save game? I unlocked it by beating Hectic, gotten through a lot of the levels without paying much attention to the pause menu, but now see that I don't have it anymore.

18 minutes ago, betabox said:

Is the Features Menu not saved in a save game? I unlocked it by beating Hectic, gotten through a lot of the levels without paying much attention to the pause menu, but now see that I don't have it anymore.

No, it's saved in your config. You only see it while in a level also.