Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CrocketRocket

UAC Lawsuits and. Work Violations

You ever wondered if there was any lawsuits or OSHA violations on the UAC before.

Like with all the toxic dumping on mars and the fact doom guy was ordered to fire on civilians you'd  think someone would attempt to try and take them to court. Right?

I assume that's why they took their research into space. Plus the fact if you're rich enough to build a facility on Mars, you're rich enough to have any plaintiff murdered. Plaintiffs? Dead. Attorney? Dead. Judges? Dead. Sorry for your loss, let's fund the justice system to ensure a tragedy like this doesn't happen again. Doomguy... go kill those civilians!

Aliens, Hellians, and Martians didn't make Doom 2 into the brown planet it is... Humans did.

Doomguy not firing on civilians is exactly why we need a robot army! Time to build one! Eh... metal is kind of expensive. Can't we just take a skeleton and mount some rocket launchers on it instead? Yeah... that's a good one. Wait if its just a skeleton how does it walk without spending more money? Archvile. How do we get to said archvile? Portal. Oh but we don't want that portal on Earth, something can go wrong... Mars! Oh but a gate to Hell for demon collection might seem bad... I know! Toxic waste disposal. That's what we'll call it! That's why we need portals, we'll just dump the toxic waste INTO HELL WHERE IT BELONGS!!! We can even get government funding for being eco friendly and socially conscious! Why should we have to pay for a portal to Hell to resurrect a skeleton army to do our bidding?

All because Doomguy wouldn't shoot civilians. Thanks Doomjerk!

Edited by geo

8 minutes ago, geo said:

I assume that's why they took their research into space. Plus the fact if you're rich enough to build a facility on Mars, you're rich enough to have any plaintiff murdered. Plaintiffs? Dead. Attorney? Dead. Judges? Dead. Sorry for your loss, let's fund the justice system to ensure a tragedy like this doesn't happen again.

At this point I'm going to assume they do the same to rival companies as well

Just now, CrocketRocket said:

At this point I'm going to assume they do the same to rival companies as well

What rival companies? I only see UAC. They're the Coke, Pepsi, Walmart, Disney all rolled into one company for your convenience. May as well call them "the Company" since there's just one.

Caring about such things is a sign that you are getting old.

It's implied that the UAC is way too rich and powerful to be legally accountable for it's actions. Maybe the teleportation experiments took place in Phobos and Deimos to avoid dealing with things like corporate terrorism or a freaky teleporter accident destroying the Earth.

EDIT: The below assumes we are talking about Doom 3's cannon since the original Doom never really had a story.

The UAC never told anybody what happened on Mars. Actually, how the UAC responded to the aftermath of Doom 3 is somewhat of a puzzle. It's sort of implied that the UAC knows about hell since McNeil doesn't seem shocked by the demons invading the facility in RoE and there is also that one audio log from some guy that says they UAC are "lying bastards" and that he can't believe it's "all happening again" (which is kinda odd since it implies he survived the events of the first game, even though it's stated in the intro of RoE that the marine was the only survivor).

Tbh it's to be expected that the UAC would know the truth seeing as the Doom marine survived and still had all the PDAs and recordings that he collected throughout the game, and then there is also the fact that the aftermath of the demon invasion is plain for all to see minus the demons (though actually that's debatable since some demons were kept in vats and did not vaporize). This actually makes me wonder if the marine and the ones who rescued him at the end of the game were simply killed off to keep the truth hidden. In any case it's extremely unlikely that the UAC would tell everyone that they opened a portal to hell, and in fact it's debatable that they would believe the dimension was even actually hell despite all the evidence.

1 hour ago, hardcore_gamer said:

The below assumes we are talking about Doom 3's cannon since the original Doom never really had a story.

What are you talking about? Doom had a story! This is a copy from page 1 of the manual for Doom. The story took up an entire page of the manual. And the story even explains why you start out with a pistol.

Spoiler

image.png.1b2736b9b51dca2a7ce88bcb4551ea7e.png

1 hour ago, Solmyr said:

It's implied that the UAC is way too rich and powerful to be legally accountable for it's actions. Maybe the teleportation experiments took place in Phobos and Deimos to avoid dealing with things like corporate terrorism or a freaky teleporter accident destroying the Earth.

2 hours ago, geo said:

Plus the fact if you're rich enough to build a facility on Mars

If you read the story, the military is the one who's actually performing the teleportation experiments. UAC (denoted as a "multi-planetary conglomerate," which basically implies filthy rich and ultra-powerful) is letting them use their facilities on the moons of Mars because the military has been their biggest source of funding. Furthermore, that sort of wealth and powerful bedfellows probably does serve to shield them from OSHA liability and whatnot. Besides, as geo pointed out, that's probably why they moved their research and waste treatment facilities to Phobos and Deimos. It is heavily implied that the moons are essentially unihabited, meaning that any resulting collateral loss of life would be restricted to company and military employees.

2 hours ago, CrocketRocket said:

doom guy was ordered to fire on civilians

It was his superior officer that gave that order. There's nothing to indicate that it was spurred by some corporate officer from UAC.

2 hours ago, geo said:

All because Doomguy wouldn't shoot civilians. Thanks Doomjerk!

That's about the same as saying Hamlet is the real villain of "Hamlet" because he didn't kill Claudius when the opportunity presented itself in the middle of the play. Therefore, it's all Hamlet's fault when

Spoiler

all the characters that die over the course of the rest of the play shuffle off their mortal coils. Granted, he does personally kill 3 of them, order the execution of 2, and lead to the suicide of another. However, Claudius is the one who started everything by usurping the throne and setting all the madness (figuratively and literally) into motion.

Ha! Love this topic. 

I think if anything did get out about the UAC I'd reckon it would be a similar situation to what happened in Resident Evil with the Umbrella Corperation. Stocks would fall etc......

22 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

Ha! Love this topic. 

I think if anything did get out about the UAC I'd reckon it would be a similar situation to what happened in Resident Evil with the Umbrella Corperation. Stocks would fall etc......

Seeing as it's implied the UAC is funding basically every single major power on earth it seems very unlikely this would happen. Why would most people on earth care that some space base on mars got destroyed? Even in terms of total number of deaths we are probably talking about a few dozen thousand people at most. There are probably 100x as many people who die of smoking every year. And it's not like most normal people who buy into the idea that hell exists.

4 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Seeing as it's implied the UAC is funding basically every single major power on earth it seems very unlikely this would happen. Why would most people on earth care that some space base on mars got destroyed? Even in terms of total number of deaths we are probably talking about a few dozen thousand people at most. There are probably 100x as many people who die of smoking every year. And it's not like most normal people who buy into the idea that hell exists.

Fair point , most people probably wouldn't care unless they lived next door to the thing or it impacted their lives directly. That's humans for you. 

5 hours ago, geo said:

What rival companies? I only see UAC. They're the Coke, Pepsi, Walmart, Disney all rolled into one company for your convenience. May as well call them "the Company" since there's just one.

or maybe we just never seen other parts of the world. after all, almost everything we've seen happened in UAC facilities (and then on devastated Earth). i wouldn't trust UAC propaganda about "UAC is Father, UAC is Mother".

could it be that teleporting experiments were subverted by some rival company, for example? a theme for a wad, i guess.

No railing on most catwalks. What would the court charges be for the thousands of UAC workers who died from the hell portal? Manslaughter?

1 hour ago, ketmar said:

or maybe we just never seen other parts of the world. after all, almost everything we've seen happened in UAC facilities (and then on devastated Earth). i wouldn't trust UAC propaganda about "UAC is Father, UAC is Mother".

could it be that teleporting experiments were subverted by some rival company, for example? a theme for a wad, i guess.

In addition to the UAC logos, there's been the logo from The Darkening 2 as well as the logos from OTEX. Granted, the last 2 were made by ukiro, but perhaps someone can come up with a mapset incorporating all of them as 3 rival multi-planetary corporations.

18 hours ago, ketmar said:

Then clearly you need to avoid marines told to shoot civilians in that year what which Doom 1 took place. Perhaps all humans are products of UAC and just clones, therefore no rights.

I'm pretty sure nVidia becomes UAC (most likely because of John Carmack and his rocket program):

DSCN2086.jpg?fit=2048,1536&strip=all

UAC:

200px-UAC_insignia.png

Wake up sheeple!

Edited by geo

On 7/29/2019 at 4:13 PM, CrocketRocket said:

You ever wondered if there was any lawsuits or OSHA violations on the UAC before.

Like with all the toxic dumping on mars and the fact doom guy was ordered to fire on civilians you'd  think someone would attempt to try and take them to court. Right?

no chance, demons took over the world too quickly to make a difference

Why the hell do they need so many crushers on Deimos? Can't they teach the staff to just cut up and flatten their cardboard boxes themselves?

On 8/2/2019 at 2:21 AM, Maximum Matt said:

Why the hell do they need so many crushers on Deimos? Can't they teach the staff to just cut up and flatten their cardboard boxes themselves?

Nah, that's too expensive. I mean, you gotta go through the effort of actually training them, making sure they know how to use knives safely, and then you gotta make sure they get paid on time, and get all the benefits, and put up with their bathroom breaks, conversing with coworkers, loud music, lunches, lives outside work....

Far cheaper and less hassle to let the crusher hallways do it.