Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PeterMoro

John Carmack on the Joe Rogan show - it happened!

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
On 8/3/2019 at 11:14 AM, Mr. Freeze said:

...he's more of a lazy enabler who allows his guests to ramble on for long chunks of time relatively unopposed, thus giving free airtime to extreme and/or misguided viewpoints. 

 

 

 

That's only a problem if you're too stupid to identify bad actors with crummy info.

Share this post


Link to post

Nice interview. Joe is respectful of people who know their shit in their field of expertise. He was the same when Brian Cox was on the show , he sits there pretty much fascinated.

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/29/2019 at 12:05 AM, Mk7_Centipede said:

Carmack's thoughts on quantum were interesting.  The notion that (basically) nothing will be able to be encrypted is, to me, fantastic (discard them private company rights for them private citizen rights).  Quantum radio seems essential to space travel, too.  But yeah, cryo lab stuff is what I grew up with.  Val Kilmer in Real Genius is probably based on my father.  Popcorn and all (the birds ate all the popcorn and by morning nobody knew what happened btw).

Bad news then: it's only traditional, classical cryptography that is broken by quantum computers. Quantum computers in turn enable quantum cryptography, which is widely expected to be completely unbreakable.

Share this post


Link to post

I liked it. I was expecting more libertarian politics, but it was mostly just cool stuff about VR and rockets, and geeking out about Quake.

 

I think he's a bit too dismissive of crunch culture in game development. He seems to think that people mostly work long hours voluntarily, that implicit threats to your job are overblown, and people complaining must be disgruntled employees. Maybe he means well, but that seems very naive to the way a lot of studios operate. It's another case of the Just World fallacy. (In his defense, he also says multiple times that he's only speaking from his own experience.)

 

I only bring that up because it's the one part where I disagreed, it's definitely worth listening to if you're a fan of Carmack or Joe Rogan.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, komojo said:

I liked it. I was expecting more libertarian politics, but it was mostly just cool stuff about VR and rockets, and geeking out about Quake.

 

I think he's a bit too dismissive of crunch culture in game development. He seems to think that people mostly work long hours voluntarily, that implicit threats to your job are overblown, and people complaining must be disgruntled employees. Maybe he means well, but that seems very naive to the way a lot of studios operate. It's another case of the Just World fallacy. (In his defense, he also says multiple times that he's only speaking from his own experience.)

 

I only bring that up because it's the one part where I disagreed, it's definitely worth listening to if you're a fan of Carmack or Joe Rogan.

I couldn't think of what to say but you've summed it up perfectly. I think he is way too dismissive and while no one is going to disagree that he's an incredibly hard worker, he's certianly had his share of lucky breaks along the way. It's never as simple as "just leave LOL"

 

Carmack is one of my top 1 favorite people but still I didn't know about this libertarian bent or how chummy he's been with silicon valley's latest crop of supervillains.

 

In one aspect I agree with him though. There's tons of people on the internet that think software engineering is either video games or big 4. /r/cscareerquestions is nothing but Stanford kids having panic attacks because they didn't get a Facebook internship. All workers, including software/white collar workers have the right to stand up for better treatment, even if that means leaving a company, or a whole industry. Times are definitely not ideal for anyone in the lower/middle classes but software folks still have it good for the most part which puts them in a good place to stand up for these things.

 

Still though, I could listen to the guy talk for hours and joe rogan is good at setting up a place for his guests to riff on about whatever. 

Share this post


Link to post

Actor (on News Radio), comedian, show host (on Fear Factor), MMA guy, podcaster, and he still managed to squeeze in six thousand hours of Quake deathmatching??

Share this post


Link to post

That was awesome! :)

 

"We were trying to do so many things. Six degrees of freedom rendering, modding, internet based game servers, 3D models... it was a lot of stuff [...] we could have done half of those things in a Super-Doom, shipped it earlier and then done the other half better in [...] Quake"

 

Super Doom craving enabled!

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/30/2019 at 7:55 AM, Quasar said:

Bad news then: it's only traditional, classical cryptography that is broken by quantum computers. Quantum computers in turn enable quantum cryptography, which is widely expected to be completely unbreakable.

And even then, only some current classical crypto is broken. Certain trap-door based asymmetric encryption schemes break because the “presumed hard” math becomes “easy” with quantum (algorithms that require a quantum computer to actually run have been written and so some things are provably broken) but other things like many cryptographically secure hash functions (not encryption but still relevant in cryptography) will only be reduced in strength by some factor of bits that can be easily accounted for by just increasing the recommended bit-size output (eg. using a 512 bit output function instead of a 256 bit output function). And the headroom for security on output size is so high that’s it’s not even world ending if you suddenly lose half your bits of theoretical security for most applications. It would be a “let’s start migrating over to something better” not “everyone just got owned”.

Share this post


Link to post

JC is a total jerk. I'd prefer to hang around with the other John, he's WAY MORE COOL.
BTW:  Hi John, where's SIGIL II??

Share this post


Link to post

Can't help but wonder if "Super Doom" would have been a dark chapter in the community, or if it would have been embraced...Would a Quake-esque Doom game have usurped OG Doom modding?

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/3/2019 at 10:38 AM, Maximum Matt said:

Actor (on News Radio), comedian, show host (on Fear Factor), MMA guy, podcaster, and he still managed to squeeze in six thousand hours of Quake deathmatching??

Some people literally just need one game... for all of time.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×