Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dylanblitz

What level editors are people still using?

Recommended Posts

It has been a while since I last visited Doomworld, and I learned recently that there is a new type of editor called Doom Builder X.

 

I have yet to try it out myself, but I am curious to know: What level editors are currently being used, or being used the most?

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, tempdecal.wad said:

GZDoom Builder Bugfix seems like one of the most used level editors.

I believe that is what most professional creators use?

 

What are the best editors for multiplayer-type maps?

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Dylanblitz said:

I believe that is what most professional creators use?

 

What are the best editors for multiplayer-type maps?


Same, Doom Builder x and Gzdoom Builder - bugfix. Multiplayer flag for things are included in both editors. For resources you need link them in builder. 

Share this post


Link to post

Doom Builder 2 (but have just started with the Doom Builder X and Gzdoom Builder - bugfix) for map editing and scripting.
Slade for other lumps, textures, etc.
//I still cannot understand how could I use DoomCad in the past :D

Share this post


Link to post

Personally I use GZDoomBuilder because I prefer the extra mapping options that that UDMF format provides you to go beyond vanilla-style maps.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm using GZDoomBuilder because I'm working on ZDoom stuff. I'm planning to check out X in the future for an Eternity Engine project.

Share this post


Link to post

Using GZDoomBuilder here because of all the cool plugins, like stair builder and automap viewer.

Share this post


Link to post

I use Eureka.

 

My primary machine is a Mac, and I preferred Eureka to Slade. Eureka is also cross-platform, which allows me to use the same program on another Windows machine I have. Eureka doesn't require administrative rights, which is a nice bonus.

Share this post


Link to post

GZDoomBuilder. The Map Analysis Mode (error checking tool) is really useful for me. You can batch-remove a list of unused textures etc. Lots of useful plugins as well. Breezeep is right, stair builder is great and super-useful. 

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, damned said:

Doom Builder 2 (but have just started with the Doom Builder X and Gzdoom Builder - bugfix) for map editing and scripting.
Slade for other lumps, textures, etc.
//I still cannot understand how could I use DoomCad in the past :D

That's why maps weren't as good back then lol

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, MegaZzZeux said:

Wadauthor...16 years and counting! 


That's what I started with. Was a great program. Basically like a blueprint of what would become DoomBuillder...

 

Share this post


Link to post

Started with Deu, then Deth and *eth variations while using a little of WadAuthor, then Doom Builder 1 and 2.   Using Slade3 for other wad editing.   Maybe I should check for the newest version.

 

Which recent version of Doom Builder is best to keep multiplayer compatibility with Zandronum 3.0 last updated in 2017?

 

And maybe tougher question: Which version of Doom Builder is best to keep compatibility with ZDaemon, I guess still having older ZDoom capabilities?

Edited by Gokuma

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Gokuma said:

Started with Deu, then Deth and *eth variations while using a little of WadAuthor, then Doom Builder 1 and 2.   Using Slade3 for other wad editing.   Maybe I should check for the newest version.

 

Which recent version of Doom Builder is best to keep multiplayer compatibility with Zandronum 3.0 last updated in 2017?

 

And maybe tougher question: Which version of Doom Builder is best to keep compatibility with ZDaemon, I guess still having older ZDoom capabilities?

 

Gzdoom builder bugfix should have both formats inside, I saw zandronum one, not sure about zdaemon, I believe it supports doom in hexen. Zandronum also supports zdoom in udmf too. You can also check doom builder x and if it no builders satisfy your needs, use older ones. 

Share this post


Link to post

Doom Builder X, because is the only one that currently supports UDMF Eternity, but its a nice tool. Hope for portal support in visual mode soon :)

 

Share this post


Link to post

GZDoomBuilder for maps (these days - I started on DEU back in 94). Whacked for creating DEH files. Doomwriter for level name graphics. Slade for importing non-map resources into the maps WAD.

Share this post


Link to post

GZDoom Builder for maps/scripts. GIMP for sprites. SLADE3 for everything else....But i still whip out xWe once in awhile too get dirty with bitmaps.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×