Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chewyninja69

Surprise re-release of Doom, Doom 2 and Doom 3 on PS4. Had an observation/question about it.

I didn't see any threads/posts about it here, but I've been playing it for the last couple days and noticed something odd: the music is... different. Like it sounds at least one quarter to 50% slower. Was that on purpose? Or have I been hearing Doom music wrong all for the past 20-odd years? 

Anyone know anything about this? Because it's awkward af, ha.

-Chewy

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the quick response. I just watched that Digital Foundry video above and was surprised how many problems there was/is with the Trilogy (port? remaster? or maybe demastered?).

The music is what bothers me the most. It sounds like someone fed magic mushrooms to the instruments. Any word on a patch coming?

2 hours ago, Chewyninja69 said:

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the quick response. I just watched that Digital Foundry video above and was surprised how many problems there was/is with the Trilogy (port? remaster? or maybe demastered?).

The music is what bothers me the most. It sounds like someone fed magic mushrooms to the instruments. Any word on a patch coming?

I hope to god they are since it is bethesda we're talking about here. Who knows what bugs they'll somehow bring to the game 

8 hours ago, Chewyninja69 said:

Any word on a patch coming?

The Bethesda.net login is going to be turned optional soon, but apart from that, nothing about more fixes being on the way.

I wouldn't hold my breath honestly. Fixing the lightning, music, and adding aspect ratio correction + 60fps are something I am not expecting to ever see, let alone the missing expansions... I'd be glad to be proven wrong though.

4 hours ago, seed said:

The Bethesda.net login is going to be turned optional soon, but apart from that, nothing about more fixes being on the way.

I wouldn't hold my breath honestly.

Same here. I had heard about the optional log in forthcoming, but nothing about any other possible fixes. Makes me quite sad, tbh.

The login stuff is optional in the iPhone app. Not sure if that's from the start or patched, because i downloaded doom and doom 2 just today.

The situation with the music in the XBLA/PS3 versions is completely separate from the Switch/PS4/XBone/etc situation. With the former, the music was played in real time with a built in timidity using the standard Gravis Ultrasound patch set (played back in GMIDI, not DMXGUS). The music in the new versions appears to be pre-rendered recordings that use the Roland SC-55 based lo-fi Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth. That alone shouldn't account for the inexplicable slowdown in the pre-rendered recordings.

just give the game justice with gzdoom + your favorite mods and wads   mine is project brutality or insanity brutality and megawads

On 8/3/2019 at 9:15 AM, Danfun64 said:

That alone shouldn't account for the inexplicable slowdown in the pre-rendered recordings.

Someone concluded that the slowed down music is due to the music being in 48khz originally and they improperly converted it to 44.1khz, resulting in speed reduction.

On vendredi 2 août 2019 at 11:51 PM, LadyVader1138 said:

The music will likely never be fixed as I believe it is a bug dating back to the XBLA version.

The XBLA version was due to faulty tempo conversion from MUS to MIDI, which got the tempo wrong.

Here it seems they rendered streamed audio at 48 kHz but it's being played back at 44 kHz, making it about 8% slower. The fix would be either changing the playback to be at 48 kHz, or replacing the audio by 44 kHz renders.

The pro-move would have been to use the audio from Bobby Prince's "Doom music" CD. It contains an alternate, longer version of "Donna to the Rescue", so it'd have been some cool added value.

On 7/31/2019 at 3:30 PM, Chewyninja69 said:

I didn't see any threads/posts about it here, but I've been playing it for the last couple days and noticed something odd: the music is... different. Like it sounds at least one quarter to 50% slower. Was that on purpose? Or have I been hearing Doom music wrong all for the past 20-odd years? 

Anyone know anything about this? Because it's awkward af, ha.

-Chewy

The original, non-DRMed versions:

https://www.gog.com/game/the_ultimate_doom

https://www.gog.com/game/doom_ii_final_doom