Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Witness of Time & Monument & Unwelcome

MAP06: Myriads

36:10 | 100% Kills | 59% Items | 62% Secrets

It took me a while to recognize this map, but once I did I remembered and immediately dreaded the cyberdemon encounter. I think last time I must have been low on ammo or something? This time he gave me no real problems; I just dropped off the ledge and shot at from below, easy-peasy. Anyway, this map is very cool; a more standard-issue techbase, but based around Monti's trademark curving architecture. You can go a couple different ways from the start, and probably get a different experience depending, but it's all really one big loop. Lots of incidental combat here, with a couple of sneaky traps (I thankfully managed to catch the yellow key archie before he had a chance to do any resurrectin'.) And oh my goodness I adored that MIDI!

Hrm. I thought I had updated all 3 WADs for this month's plays, but it looks like I'm still using an older version of Witness. Boooo. I might be forced to pistol-start MAP07...

MAP07: Sol y Verde

So we have another city map, but it's quite different from the towering vertical proportions of most Doom urban levels and the inner-city environments they invoke, instead feeling like part of the outer-urban sprawl; with its low-lying buildings of bunker-like construction beneath a broad and open sky, this is more like a low-density industrial park than the brooding, monolithic edifice of MAP12: The Factory or the looming towers of MAP13: Downtown.  If there's a repeating motif in the gameplay it's delving into bunkers within which you'll find switches and slit-like windows through which you can observe the effects of those switches, with a clarity of cause and effect combined with a pretty fair degree of freedom to roam.  I'll admit I left the map with one secret yet to be found and the Cyberdemon in the dry reservoir area still penned in; even with an invulnerability close at hand he just didn't seem like fun to fight.

5: The opening vista is somewhat similar to what we've got in the submap, with some sort of open-sky tech-base setting with a central building. But as soon as you start exploring the level, that feeling go away, and you get yoursetf into some sort of a network of different techbases, where you access different areas through jumping from higher areas (which is a really cool progression element). The "arrow" jump, for example, is very iconic. There's more presence of boss monsters here, and the first Spider Mastermind and the first Cyberdemon fight can be very tough if you aren't well prepared. As for myself, I wrongly switched my weapon to plasma instead of BFG, and got myself dead lol The Cyberdemon into the trees fight also has some surprise revenants + archville which killed me a few time too lol. Very strong map!

6: I believe that this was the first map Monti's has released from the Witness of Time package. Looking now it isn't very remarkable, just another of his trademark very solid/good techbases, although I remember well the dark section, the weird cyberdemon area (which killed the Pain Elemental for me), and the final area with the SM. This level flows really well and it's very non-linear, loved it. Music is also pretty good here too.

Edited by Deadwing

Nb. Looks like Sector 76 in Map04 does not lower in PRBoom+ on complevel 2 - the sector lowers as intended on complevel 9.

I'm not sure if this was the issue that was raised at release, and supposedly rectified here:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/1785003

If so it would be good if the text file made it clear that CL 9 is needed, although I see now that the release thread did state it was prboom compatible.

Unsure if this is relevant to anyone now given most people have moved on, maybe @galileo31dos01?

EDIT: Yeah, I wish I'd have seen that post warning about precisely this - d'oh!

Edited by Sui Generis

MAP08: Taioron

So, after the compact Phobos-esque techbase of MAP06 and the friendly neighbourhood of MAP07 (that long nukage canal at the very end aside) we come to this shuddering colossus of a level.  I'd consider it to have three major areas - the laboratories in the south, the reactor in the north, and the container port in the east - spaced around a roughly triangular arrangement of smaller structures; to tell the truth, the laboratories are substantial enough to constitute a decent-sized level all on their own, and it's only once you swing around to the northern side of that block and get a look up the processional toward the arched, cathedral-like entrance to the reactor complex that you get a sense of just how vast this particular map is.

The level features a fairly substantial population of monsters including a trio of Cyberdemons (one per major area) plus a Spider Mastermind guarding the processional.  It's not shy about providing you with weapons and ammunition suitable for the task in front of you, although I was left with the impression that there weren't quite so many health and armour power-ups on this map as on most of the prior levels.  What's going to stay with me is the disorienting scale of things here, not just of the level itself but of its constituent areas; the big, squarish southern block alternates between cramped perimeter passages/walkways and cavernous primary hallways, and similarly the teleporters scattered throughout the level can whisk you from conspicuously open and airy spaces to claustrophobic, chemical-reeking tunnels and back again with dizzying briskness.  Even without the monsters, this is a level that's coquettish about its secrets and its functionality, presenting itself as a puzzle to be slowly unravelled, inviting you to do just that and rebuffing your efforts by turns, and I can't help but like it for that.

@TheOrganGrinder: Yeah, Taioron is the first map that comes to mind when I think of this WAD. As you said, the scale really impresses itself upon you; "disorienting" is a good way to put it.

32:42 | 99% Kills | 93% Items | 66% Secrets

I really like the theme here: a kind of downtown-ish vibe, but all the buildings are squat and dug into the ground. Gameplay then consists of figuring out how to get into all of those buildings. I for one did a poor job of it, as I only made it into the rocket launcher building once I was something like 2/3 finished with the level; and I'd been maxed out on rockets for some time. (I was late to the BFG, as well.) Probably the nastiest trap I encountered was in the hall to the switch overlooking in the first cybie's silo yard: approach the switch, and suddenly you've got revvies coming your way, as well as chaingunners ready to perforate you through the walls. I was real low on ammo at that point, and gave it a couple (futile) tries before giving up on that area entirely; later I found the yellow key, which gave access to those chaingunners/revenants from a different direction, making things far easier. (I ended up chainsawing the revvies through the windows in their little cubbies!) I never fought the first cyber; I didn't have the rocket launcher at the time, so just skedaddled by him, and once I was properly equipped, I saw no real point in going back to kill him.

Edited by Salt-Man Z

99% kills, 1/6 secrets

Bright open sky and happy music, yup. Interesting to note that despite the open sky I still felt constricted, though that's not the author's fault so much as mine in knowing how Doom works and that the real 'ceiling' is barely a few units above the player's head. :) The bunker description is apt here, and is usual, provides a bit of choose-your-own-adventure here in finding your weaponry before moving onto the keys, which went pretty smoothly for me. Like others I ended up ignoring the first cyber. I liked how the yellow key gave an alternate route to that chaingunner/revenant trap, like @Salt-Man Z I went the other way first and had a rough time. Not a fan of the meatwall cyber or SMM but ah well.

7: Yeah, that's the bunker map and it was one that stuck in my memory. it's a somewhat a different approach of what we're used to see in city level, where most vertically happens down instead of upper. The map is pretty casual regarding monster placement with few surprises, 2 cyberdemons and an ending SMM (with a weird but interesting placement). Progression was somewhat crypt for me, especially to find the way to BK >.< Took me a while to figure out a very outdoor path that led to it. The arrow in the end of the map pointing to the next makes me wonder what's the context behind all these levels haha But you know you're into something bigger and more epic, very cool detail.

8: And that's indeed the juggernaut of this mapset, and the level that easily standouts from the others. The song starts playing and you know that things got serious and this will be a long journey. The huge facility + very restrained corridors in the outer area sticks in the mind easily, as the SMM battle and the ending circular area. It's indeed a larger map compared to the rest, but things really flow well there. I didn't get lost any moment and I died only a few times (in the port area and the circular entrance with arch-ville + Cyberdemon setup). The exit area is very curious and it has a strong context feel. Amazing level, one of the best I've played.

100% kills, 4/11 secrets

I think this level is a great example of how important soundtrack is to setting the mood - while the large chambers and tech textures certainly help sell the idea of some sort of colossal machinery, the ominous bell music here is what really helps create the atmosphere IMO. As usual, there's a bit of scouting out your surroundings and finding the weaponry before figuring out the keys (which I think is blue first, then yellow/red in either order, but the teleporters here made the progression a bit confusing). I found most of the weaponry early on just fine, but didn't get an armor vest until later which meant taking some hits (and health is somewhat limited). I telefragged the first cyber, the second by the red key I got to infight with an AV, but the yellow key fight is really the spectacle with a good mix of the cyber, two AV snipers and lots of other assorted annoyances (cacos, PEs, mancs) to create crossfire. Bit of a shame that I got the yellow key and opened up the portal before doing the red key, since the red key's ending is a bit anti-climatic. Good level though on the whole.

MAP09: Tears in Caelo

Witness of Time ends with this odd duck of a map, which sends the player crawling through a (mostly) abandoned succession of techbase spires before a climactic arena battle.  Given the pervasive stillness and general lack of monsters prior to the arena battle, apart from a single room full of zombies, one might expect darkness to be prevalent here, accompanied by a low, menacing background music track to build up the sense of dread and lurking threat to be delivered upon in the final encounter; instead, the level is as generally brightly lit as all that have come before, and the music puts me in mind of Studio Ghibli or a NES-era JRPG, evoking a sence of the mystical rather than the menacing.  This is not the transformed heart of some subverted starport, then, nor some vast pile of Hellish substructures arranged like theatrical props; the atmosphere here is quite different, communicating an almost melancholic feeling rather than one of excitement or incipient triumph.  The final arena battle throws wave upon wave of mixed enemy types at you; there are plenty of cells provided to keep your BFG fed, so it's an exercise in target selection and crowd control, in identifying the arch-viles as pain elementals as soon as they appear and before they can go on to clutter the arena and undo all your hard work, without getting so caught up in the process of hunting them that you lose track of your cell supply or let the area-denying waves of mancubi, arachnotrons, and revenants get out of hand.

I've got a hectic few days ahead so I'll probably be back for Monument around Wednesday of next week.

9: And here is the finale. It's basically composed of 3 weirdly shaped techbases, with a somewhat melancholic soundtrack, that somehow fits well the map. Most of the adventure here is a build-up without monsters that leads to the central area. Visually is a really interesting and distinct area, with lost of contextual elements, such as the star-shaped teleport, the two outdoors towers and the final area. The final skimish was harder than I was expecting, especially due to my poor skills on BFG. I remember myself doing a lot better when I played this when it got released lol The trick, as TheOrganGrinder said, is to lookout for Arch-villes, avoid getting hit by them (which is hard considering that the others enemies might make going through a quite complicated quest) and kill them. The ending was a bit anti-climatic though, since I was expecting some more contextual elements before reaching the exit. But regardless, it's a very good map that closes well the whole journey.

Next one is Monument, right?

Edited by Deadwing

100% kills, 0/1 secret

I suppose this is a bit of a drawn-out coda to last map's climax, with a long period of monsterless starbase before one last big arena battle. I actually like the use of the monsterless area here, something that I don't think gets used enough, and the music also lends a hand here in evoking a sense of detachedness, or maybe melancholy? Not quite sure what the storyline is supposed to be here though.

So, you know, IRL situations, crappy internet reception, this and that. Anyways...

MAP04: Charon Lab

Wikipedia says Charon is one of Pluto's satellites. Ok then, we are a crap ton miles away from another crap ton miles away from Earth, oof so far away yeah. Spooky place to be, Monti puts the player in his signature sort of laboratory characterized with a vast surrounding area devoid of brightness and some vertigo-inducing height variation, both combined provide quite an experience not as suspenseful given the midi choice has some high pitches, that I suspect would sound smoother in a different soundfont except OPL2. However, there was a moment I felt my heart pounding at the narrow high staircases which I found later weren't mandatory for progress. That was a bit horrifying the first time should I say without exaggerating. 

All good with the exception of the backpack, there is no way to grab it without jumping and you can't in PRBoom+, and an area is broken in vanilla to rely on Crispy Doom's jump option. The pistol start here was interesting because the RL was tucked away in the middle of the map, which made the other tools feel more relevant for a while with practical decisions like ignoring the first green armor to not wake up the archvile behind pinkies. Plus there're two ways to tackle progression, but either is okay. Monti's secrets are a pattern repeated in almost every of his maps, one goody of each item type that could be very useful with foreknowledge, or might impact negatively depending on people's perspective, in this case the googles can totally destroy the ambient unless you hate darkness or want to see what's down there in the void, but for me seeing the vibrant strawberry juice in the bottom was, tempting. Again the backpack situation was a pity yet not life-changing.

So another fun map yup. Oh right, I don't know what happened there at the end, I did fine on that platforming like three times but failed so stupidly during recording because I get too nervous. Some entity told me to look behind, there was A LIFT!!!!! 

Spoiler

MAP05: After Cefyl

Yeah, CEFYL is specific from where I live, a way to translate it would be "Center of students of Philosophy and Literature", of the University of Buenos Aires (Argentina). Though I've never been there, probably parts of the layout of the map resemble that place. And since it looks somewhat like a corrupted industrial area, maybe it's just a pun Monti would know better than me what it means. I can only think of something like after Chernobyl, but that's it.

Once again a nice view of the sky, plenty of free space to move around and buildings to explore. I liked that first high jump to the central section and the courtyard far away, just as a place to be there. Combat felt like it escalated one step with the addition of pain elementals in the open, more archviles behind bodyguards, and maybe the SMM for an eep moment in that special context. I've seen this case before, Monti occasionally puts spiderdemons and archviles in sudden think fast - BFG faster scenarios with limited temporary cover or directly nowhere to hide, results vary as it's more fighting the odds than the monsters themselves, imo. People say these are two beasts not easy to deploy so I don't want to be too judgmental, but the archvile usage has been really fine so far, and there're a couple other spiders in fair situations later.

Things I wasn't a fan of were the end-of-level cyberdemon not interesting to kill and the secret soulsphere, which puts you in front of a chaingunner that can quickly make that soulsphere pointless. Also the reveal of that boss cacodemon got me insecure about my future (?). And that's pretty much it, fun map again. Might continue posting tomorrow.

Spoiler

I had been putting off Witness MAP08 just because of its sheer size (also busy) but figured I'd give it a go last night, and... GZDoom (4.0.0) decided to freak out. I couldn't move without everything lagging constantly. Tried tweaking my settings, turning off all the bells and whistles. Nothing. Gave up. This morning I gave it another test, and of course everything works fine. Go figure.

Anyway, last night I started Monument instead. (Again, GZDoom was a little twitchy, but it was mostly bearable.) I loved this WAD when it came out; I guess it's a bunch of Chris Hansen's old maps rejiggered into a standalone episode; but I'd never played any of them before. (I've since played one of them in ADO.) I'm sure I played on HMP then; I'm going to {gulp!} try it on UV this time. GZDoom/continuous/saves as usual.

E2M1: Rip and Tear

8:27 | 100% Everything

The first thing you notice when you dive in is that palette. That frickin' gorgeous palette. It sets so much of the atmosphere of the WAD all by itself, I just love it. The map itself is pretty straightforward; probably the only real surprise is the initial ambush at the shotgun, but it's more bark than bite. There's a pop-up caco later that's pretty startling, too. I like the crate room where you have to scramble up and over to get the key. (I only found the backpack there after I'd finished everything else.) The exit room is an odd choice, I think the switch to raise the platforms doesn't reveal itself until you've already dipped your toes in the nukage? Either that or I was just oblivious; either way, I crossed the whole thing by foot, and only noticed the switch on the far wall when I went back to find the last secret. The secret zerk I found early, but decided to save it until I need the health, and then felt like a goon when I had to unload a ton of shells into a squad of pinkies down the next hallway. >:| A good start to the episode.

Looking forward to hear what all you good people have to say about Monument! Even though it's all recycled stuff (except M8) I worked really hard to make it good and not just a "greatest hits" of sorts shoved out the door for cheap points. Rip'n'tear folks!

5 hours ago, Chris Hansen said:

Looking forward to hear what all you good people have to say about Monument! Even though it's all recycled stuff (except M8) I worked really hard to make it good and not just a "greatest hits" of sorts shoved out the door for cheap points. Rip'n'tear folks! 

I do remember playing and enjoying Rip it, tear it, smash it back in the day so I'm quite keen to get to this. I never played the High-low series or other maps so it will be interesting to see how your style has evolved :)

However, before that I want to at least try and make further inroads into Witness of Time:

MAP04 - Charon Lab - 6/7 Secrets
Whew this was a slog! In contrast to the bright, open spaces of previous maps, here we have a dark and more enclosed playable area, but it is set within several dark and cavernously tall open areas. Due to the aforementioned vanilla doom 2 incompatibility I restarted this one from pistol start and made it needlessly harder for myself by forgetting about the damn SSG at the start, leading to me eventually desperately chainsawing the initial AV and praying for pain states - that may possibly cloud my judgement.

This said the whole experience of the vast dark spaces is a memorable one. I sometimes see people commenting on levels that an area is 'too big'; this I find disappointing - large spaces in architecture can be as interesting as highly intricately micro-detailed ones, and the soaring cathedral like voids set this apart, with the emptiness and vastness giving it a cool feel of a darker and more eerie Deimos Lab crossed with E1M7 on steroids (Presumably that is what gives the map it's name?). I agree with @Salt-Man Z that the faintly pulsing mid chasm staircase is especially striking - you simply wouldn't expect to see something so crazy and abstract and yet 'what the hell let's just do it anyway' outside of the 90s.

The cyclic chain of four teleporter pads I found fine to navigate, although that's partly because I spent so long in the first half of the map on my first attempt (as I was convinced I was hitting the cyberdemon release switch out of order, as opposed to it simply being broken), but I don't put it purely down to that. I note each telepad was distinctive and the landing areas were dissimilar so a quick hop-in hop-out whilst viewing the automap gives you your bearings. The latter areas of the map I enjoyed more, partly because the stupid switch issue was behind me then, but also as the action starts picking up too. In particular we see some significant traps, such as the revenant and archie release by the red key and yellow key. Also the raised platform area behind the three key doors was quite interesting in an unusual way aswell.

After all time I spent on this map being stuck on at sector 76, and then having to replay from pistol start, I really didn't feel like lingering for long looking for all the secrets - ironically I then ended up finding all but the backpack secret.

It's a striking map and atmospheric map, with a pity for me about the vanilla incompatibility.

MAP05 - After Cefyl - 10/10 Secrets \o/
This was a pretty cool, brisk level. The map is open and superficially resembles Map03 as @Deadwing says, but it's more three dimensional, and the slime plays a more prominent part in directing the flow of the map. We have a nice variety of encounters at different ranges, and I appreciate that the player is forced to proceed using cover and think which monsters you can get close enough to pick off so as to simplify dealing with the others. Although the previous map had taller areas, this one seems more three dimensional in terms of gameplay as the map does see the player repeatedly jumping across the slime channel to progress.

In fact the progression mechanics as a whole are pretty clever really - in keeping with the previous maps, any switch needed to move forward is always pressed in view of the thing it opens, but also the trope of visiting the central island, departing it, and then finally returning back into the computer map structure nested inside of it once again is all nicely integrated. There are several arch viles, although I retained the BFG and a few extra cells from the last map (in spite of a continuous restart) so they were not a problem, similarly with the bosses which were generally encountered singularly and in space, although the spider master mind can hurt you a fair bit with the lack of cover before it dies. The number of PEs hanging around encouraged me to go steady with the rocket launcher, which is a good countervailing incentive after all the rockets that are generally given.

Finally I discovered all the secrets at last, with 8 being found by the time I reached the exit and then I backtracked and managed to access the remaining two. I like the design of the map.

Edited by Sui Generis

Monument by Chris Hansen - E2M1 UV Maxed with Zero Deaths

Playing on GZDoom, UV pistol starts, keyboard only, savescumming as usual.

I had to show up for the @Chris Hansen episode! I playtested this monster back in 2015, and I love that dark palette just as much today as I did then.

This is an easy map with a hot start, such that I was already under attack while firing up the Windows Game Recorder. ;D

Toughest fight was the shotgun battle right after the initial skirmish. Got me down to 27% because I misplayed the set-up and exposed myself to extra shotgunner fire. Smooth sailing after that except for my spastic shooting at walls after teleporting because I didn't know where that Imp was in the pitch darkness (he wasn't even in the room with me, d'oh!)

Played like a wimp throughout to avoid the embarrassment of successfully dying on M1.

We see notable features of Chris Hansen maps, including extreme darkness, hiding switches like the shoot-switch for the Zerk secret in the dark, more darkness after that, and even more darkness at the end. Without the Zerk you'll feel slight ammo stress here and there, but this map goes fairly easy on you by Chris Hansen standards. Another thing Chris is famous for is his parkour secrets, as exemplified by the backpack adventure in the crate room. With my keyboarder's lack of directional control, I decided to save before making my first jump so I wouldn't have to climb all those crates again.

All in all, this is a map heavy with dark, menacing atmosphere, showing you maybe one tooth of Chris Hansen's full set of fangs. Nice little opener.

And for those who'd like to see the Ancient Keyboarder stumble through this cramped little map, here's my playthrough.

Onward to Monument, which looks like it's a revamped collection of Chris Hansen maps. Let's see if I recognize any...

100% kills, 2/2 secrets

Very short and punchy intro, but felt rather unremarkable since the small hallways generally just meant it was a matter of running forward and shooting the shotgun at guys in front of you without any chance of being bushwhacked or really needing to move. There is a berserk but it's tucked away in a secret I didn't come across until I was two thirds done with the level, I think it might've been more fun to just give it away from the start (especially with that map title). Then again, I play on ZDoom which apparently makes it much easier to punch things so I'm probably overestimating how much 'fun' it would be for a punch-heavy level.

Not sure how I feel about the color palette yet... on one hand, it's pretty unique and I like how certain things (such as the red key and lost soul flames) really pop. On the other hand it also feels like it's giving me eyestrain. Not sure if that's my brain subconciously trying to turn it into the 'correct' palette I'm so used to or if it's just because so many of the darker colors blend together.

E2M2: Beta Station

100% kills, 3/5 secrets

This, on the other hand, plays a lot meatier than the one before it. Still lots of small spaces, but a lot more monster meat, some pincer attacks and use of trapped spaces makes it a lot more enthralling. The fight in the eastern room before the yellow key definitely got me on edge. There's quite a few alternate routes, which is nice. The path to the blue key was a bit unintuitive - I suppose just going the right way and causing the baron to appear is what unlocks the teleport? The caco attack at the end was a bit dull compared to the phone booth fights of the rest of the map IMO.

Apparently this is a map from 2002 ADO, which looks to be the only WAD I've played previously, but didn't recognize it.

I played a couple of maps from Witness of Time and sadly it didn't grab me that much (though I did appreciate the post-punk MIDIs). I'm definitely gonna give a shot to Monument though, love me some E2 tributes. Played on prBoom-plus, UV, pistol start with saves.

The start of a collection of Shores of Hell maps, with all the vine-covered tech and blood pools and plain wrongness implemented in all the right ways. The combat is typical of a first map, with highlights being the trap ambush near the start and a couple of surprise Cacos.

The new palette stands out immediately, making the game seem more faded, but I also liked the new sounds implemented, on the pistol and teleporter among other things. They’re a bit more subdued than what you hear in the stock game, and along with the palette it amps up the eerie atmosphere of E2. Even in a quick and fast-paced map you can feel a bit of a horror vibe, in between the sci-fi E1 and heavy metal E3.

Where the last map had tight spaces and close quarter combat in a first-map kind of way, this one takes the same style and throws considerably more monsters your way, baring its teeth and forcing you to choose your movements wisely.

The music by Jimmy has sections that sound a lot like his other track “Great Hall.”

Okay, to be honest I was lazy yesterday to write, there's at least one hour of processing my writings on my chair to then post something brief and concise, excluding details that slip through my mind, and it's already 12th. Good thing I have my recordings of Monument done for when I get there, both have been fun to demo. Eh whatever, more people on board is always nice to read, even more when one it's a fellow old-fashioned keyboarder like myself (-->@Steve D<--), so welcome everyone!

Onto the commentary...

MAP06: Myriads

What to say, a change of pace in navigation perhaps as it's possibly the map with less height variation of the set, or at least simulating to be flat. And this time the title says something too hard for me to connect with the context, I mean, a large number of things, but not sure of what. Otherwise the name sounds strangely intriguing. 

Once again, playability leans towards fast pace and several paths to take from the beginning. Mine was to get the secret chainsaw soon and take it moderately easy with ammo, the reason was that tall biped emerging from the unexpected and basically blocking the way. Gotta admit watching him struggle to come out of the hallway was funny, though not a particular placement that presented anything other than a roadblock. The combat did feel a tad easier, like mostly cleaning up hallways from safe points, with the occasional small open-ish room in between. Map has a nice flow regardless so bonus points for that, also the secret computer took me a while to figure, and final extra points for the midi choice.

About the video, I did not know the last room locked me in. Fuck the baron of shit for not cooperating :(

Spoiler

The title means "Sun and green", it's a train station from my city. I am, however, not sure where said train station is located in the map, so I believe it's about what surrounds that station, which according to some pictures it makes more sense, the place is a village. Monti recreated it and it looked attractive to run around, from my perspective. Very neat panoramic view of the sky, btw.

I liked that this had complete non-linear weapon progression, pretty much every tool was in different houses and accessible at any point. The layout also benefits enemies for roaming, plus opportunities for incidental infighting, like one arachnotron was constantly getting hit from multiple angles. Others pointed out the rev/chaingunners trap, was weird but effective, and it didn't occur to me to open the YK door and kill the gunners in beforehand. Probably the standout trap along with the YK trap also for effectiveness. A couple things to mention: first cyberdemon can be an ass to skip if you go straight ahead for the BK, the linedef that triggers his cage is somewhere on the little bridge, without knowing this by the time you backtrack he'll be blocking the other end and that's RNG to pray, or snipe him from safety which is inefficient. Best way is walking on that linedef and retreating immediately, but imo the cyber should be flagged ambush; the other case was the megaarmor secret, just a minor hiccup that it diverts progression. I accidentally screwed it at the in-your-face pinkies part and added pointless minutes to the demo, heh :s

Didn't fancy the second cyber placement but the invul artifact actually reverted that. The SMM reveal was mere spectacle, spammed BFG balls from the tunnel yet the first one already killed her lol. Reminded me of that one in Mano Laikas at the end of a humongous tekwall room, looked like an ant. Also spent over 15 minutes extra for secrets on my first playthrough, the computer and the invul, despite humping every wall and looking carefully at every texture, I threw the towel that night. Dammit I'm weak :(

Spoiler

16 hours ago, Magnusblitz said:

Apparently this is a map from 2002 ADO, which looks to be the only WAD I've played previously, but didn't recognize it.

It has undergone a lot of changes! A lot. Among them, I actually stretched parts of the level to make it less cramped (a style that's trademark for me, especially my older work).

Thanks for all the great comments so far!

MAP06 - Myriads - 6/8 Secrets
A much more conventional (in the relative sense) level, being a well designed techbase in a kind of sliced ring doughnut layout. Also contrary to several of Monti's other maps in this wad, there are fewer choices of where to go early on and the map is rather more directed in general - that's not a bad thing necessarily but just a difference I note; it's good to have the variety.

Although I respect and agree with @TheOrganGrinder and @Magnusblitz's opinions that the map is E1 style in architecture, though I wasn't specifically getting a Phobos lab vibe from this one. (Indeed I'd be curious to know how TheOrganGrinder saw that). I slightly spoilt the map for myself as I stupidly failed to explore the well-lit chord of the doughnut leading to the yellow key, so I did a few confused laps wondering how to progress - whoops.

As with many others, the cyb really caught me by surprise, although that's essentially all it did, as it's easy to back round the corner or drop off the catwalk and  you're immediately in cover and ready to start rocketing it at your leisure. Moreover, given the firing angles, the lip of the catwalk often prevents the cyb from being able to hit you, but with the cyb's height, the player is largely able to rocket it with impunity. Surely giving the cyb the run of the larger open area below the catwalk would have made for a better fight, possibly with a few monsters teleporting behind the player on the catwalk to discourage the player from hanging around there.

Beyond this I think the map is relatively conventional by Monti's standards - with a few more orthogonal and straight walls, and perhaps a few less interconnecting windows then it could probably have been made by any other mapper as a fairly generic (but competent) E1 map. This is only in the relative sense though and it's still recognisably Monti. Of the secrets I only failed to access the two outdoor areas, with the texture for the earlier one being a bit too non-obvious for me, given the pretty varied texturing in much of this set. The second remained a mystery to me even after looking in an editor, though I see how it would be done now.

Good casual map to stand in as a breather.

MAP07 - Sol Y Verde - 4/6 Secrets
This would be another entry into the bright, open-ish and cheery map style of this set a la Map03 and 5 - this time the map is structured vaguely in a sort of flat-ish reduced scale city style, with much off the map accessible from the outset and a need to search for weapons (if pistol starting), somewhat like map01. It put me more in mind of Mount Erebus though, than any of the more sprawling Doom2 city maps. Monti's signature overlooking windows connecting sectors are present here with the need to systematically extinguish the hit scanners and monsters contained therein before starting to get the keys and proceed with the map.

There are a couple of pretty good traps: for example at the switch granting access to the blue key (which as per @Salt-Man Z and @Magnusblitz I visited first), with a warp in of revenants in a tight, slightly curving hallway - dodging their rockets becomes pretty difficult and I had to spam rockets and suffered some damage; similarly the revenant release in the spectre pit was pretty hairy with the chaingun and trying to manoeuvre to keep them close enough to encourage their melee attack, without actually being punched, although with hindsight I probably would have been fine with the plasma gun.

Beyond this, the combat actually felt fairly casual and gentle: the arch viles were employed with cover, both in the one in the building and another outside from which the buildings are simple enough to hide behind.

The two cybs (and indeed the mastermind) have 'gatekeeper' roles in that they are positioned in fairly constrained ways that force you to deal with them to enter or leave an important area. This makes some sense from a progression point of view, but does cut down on their gameplay role to mere roadblocks as there is generally ample cover, so you can casually corner-camp them at your leisure, but as it's difficult to close them for a BFG double-shot, dealing with them degenerates into a time-consuming grind with rockets. This would be fine, except because of the cover the player isn't in much danger, other than splash damage if the repetition makes the player sloppy. This is more like a drill than a danger and a tad tedious - I am generally much of a fan of letting boss monsters roam, or having other monsters around to complicate the combat. The first cyb in particular forces the player to patiently rocket it, although there is scope to sneak out through the corridor at which point it can be BFG'd.

Some of the secrets didn't make sense to me - in particular, the berserk texture did not strike me in retrospect as being marked at all and I only happened on that secret by a mixture intuition ('Oh, this feels like a good place to put a secret switch') and chance. Also, I feel as though the blur artefact was intended to be a secret but not marked as such, given it's slightly obfuscated means of attaining it - certainly non-secret items do not require the same level of puzzle solving to obtain, but equally it might just be that my ego is subconsciously hurting at not getting credit for a secret, given this wads general efficiency at hiding them. I was unable to gain access to the computer area map and the secret near the blue key revenant trap.

I really appreciate the fact that Monti left several rad suits to permit backtracking to hunt for additional secrets. This map is an interesting variation on the city style and I appreciate the fresh thinking, and interesting, almost anti-Doom airy feel.

Edited by Sui Generis

Actually played this map a couple nights ago, just hadn't gotten a chance to post it yet:

37:36 | 100% Kills | 89% Items | 81% Secrets

This level was not nearly as large as I remembered it being. Yes, it's "large" in scale, but it only contains a couple of relatively-simple sections. You've got the main (starting) building to the south, mostly a big ring with some side areas. It's connected by a short bridge to the northern reactor area and exit. And then you've got a large crateyard to the east, with a smaller building between it and the bridge. Almost all the exploring to be done is in the southern building, which houses teleporters to the bridge, the smaller building, and the crateyard. Either the crateyard fight was smaller than I remembered, or I managed to trick a bunch of them into infighting; I initially 'ported in, saw the cyberdemon right in my face, and immediately 'ported back out. I then explored the smaller building and everything else I possibly could before going back to the crates. When I went back, all that was left was the cyber, archie, a manc, and a couple of imps scattered around. I'm guessing there was some cacos that followed me out, but I ended up disposing of them through the windows. Anyway, nothing here is too tricky if you take things slowly and methodically. When I was testing out my GZDoom settings, a ran around kinda willy-nilly, and when I got to the reactor room all the baddies there did a number on me. But in my actual playthrough, it was easy enough to (for example) take the spiders out from a distance, lure out the cyber and deal with him, then take on the archie by himself, tackle the revenant on its own, etc. The most dangerous bit is probably just starting out in the southern building where lots of hitscanners can get the drop on you unawares from multiple angles. The ending was kinda anticlimactic, too: there's this really cool visual of the exit opening up, but I was expecting a battle to take place there, but nope. Still a really cool map, though.

6 hours ago, Sui Generis said:

Of the secrets I only failed to access the two outdoor areas, with the texture for the earlier one being a bit too non-obvious for me, given the pretty varied texturing in much of this set. 

Same. It wasn't after humping every nearby texture that sort of differed from the rest, that I found the access by pure coincidence. What makes sense is that Monti has used that texture before to act like a hidden switch (blur sphere in the same map, chainsaw in map 02), but to connect the pieces isn't that simple like you said.

6 hours ago, Sui Generis said:

the berserk texture did not strike me in retrospect as being marked at all and I only happened on that secret by a mixture intuition ('Oh, this feels like a good place to put a secret switch') and chance. Also, I feel as though the blur artefact was intended to be a secret but not marked as such, given it's slightly obfuscated means of attaining it

There's a tiny sector in the rightmost corner of the room (opposite to the chainsaw) with a different flat, hard to spot for sure. You have to step on the linedef to lower the 'zerk. And good point with the blur sphere as it was one thing I forgot to add, most possibly an oversight considering the pattern for placing secrets.

According to google, taioron is a crystal from the series of Sailor Moon. I never watched it so purely imagining the map's plot, maybe the power machine that functions as the exit is where you find that crystal. I dunno, anyways, it's a moderately large layout in the "Mt. Erebus/The Living End" spectrum like Sui Generis said. You get the RL first and it's maybe the map that most encourage it's usage so far, given the relatively vast supplies count for it and the openness in general. I'm one guy that generally trades optimal fast killing for weapon equality but ultimately I feel I should have simply spammed those rockets no matter what. 

Progression from a blind playthrough had its experimental moments. I initially didn't think that one switch lowered the teleport in the cyber room, as the pain elemental was enough to distract me. Then another teleport sent me on a platform occupied by sir boner, plus a little spider plasma gunning from afar and a bigger one dancing cha cha cha on the other side, I was undecided on what to do and went yolo inside, only to find various things that did their best to send me to bed. On a second attempt I took that early teleport first and found this baron coming to my nose (speaking about barons this particular one must have been the first decently placed to at least put a bit of pressure). From there things went calm for a while until the last bit of obligatory progress: the YK. I want to believe RNG the cyber always behaved during testing, it didn't shoot outright but I don't trust that setup, so the secret invul was the shield for that. Others talked about the exit sequence being an anticlimax, I really didn't mind the absence of any more invasions and appreciated the silent trip to the heart of the place, even though I mentally prepared myself for a group of archviles just in case. I was more involved into the secret hunt, which after killing everything, I realized all of them were missed!. Obvious to me a bunch required exploring the nukage, and I think the last one was the computer. That jump for the megaarmor was intense. 

Lastly, had to skip three bonus armors on a group of crates which were inaccessible without any kind of jumping. I wonder if Monti forgot to check whether another platform was required or to delete them. Not a big deal though. Overall, good map.

Spoiler

Pretty much echoing Magnusblitz about the monsterless stretch as a preamble to the final confrontation. It is a rarity in general, the suspense and mystery that comes from pure abstract silence and darkness is on my top 10 favourite tropes. That isn't exactly what you get here, quite the opposite (although agreed the music evokes melancholy, it was midnight here and looked outside at the sky a few times while listening to it). The linear weapon arrangement and mishmash of indoors-outdoors sections without monsters is a trope Monti has used before in other concluding maps, now except for the ring of zombies which caught me by surprise. The teleporting invasion in a round-shaped arena too, thinking of Eviltech map 29 iirc. Execution was solid, a target priority-crowd control combo done where archviles are obvious priorities but company also needs to be chilled in order to success: revs keep you moving, pinkies/cacos eat up space, but mancs/trons can actually block you at inconvenient times, barons tank the shit and also guard the soulsphers, PEs do what they do best. Seems like the teleportations aren't scripted so it's random to be fucked by an archvile or two when you can't escape. That's not that bad with all the health around. I liked it.

Berserk secret frustrated me, grr. At the end I wanted to get kills with all the weapons :p. Also impressed youtube suggested the perfect screenshot.

Spoiler

Some final Witness of Time thoughts: I've started playing Monti's maps since Erkatainne, and Witness of Time is a lot similar to his previous two wads (Mano Laikas being the other), and that was probably the reason that the wad was overlooked. However, I think that the alpha textures gives this a unique feeling and the layouts by itself are very memorable. Also, if you haven't played Mano Laikas, the rocket-focused gameplay is something that makes it very distinct from others wads. (and where I got the inspiration for my next works haha). For me it's one of my favorites wads (better than Erkatainne) and it's a good entry point to start discovering Monti's works.

--------------------

Now to Monuments:

1: By starting this, I thought that this was going to be a new E2 experience, but once I got it playing, I started remembering that I've played this before, even though I don't remember the maps that I haven't played yet lol Anyway, the new sound-effects and the color palette are pretty good. I probably used that wad as a inspiration to create the color palette from Moonblood rsrs.

As for the level itself, I think it's a short introduction of what you'll find in the next maps, which is a bigger departure from what we've found on WoT: Action first instead of exploration, shorter and enclosed environments instead of larger and open, and layouts closer to reality instead of pure abstractness (none of that is something bad, for either side). Anyway, you quickly get the shotgun and it's your main weapon here. Finding the red key in the small deposit isn't hard, as the backpack secret, and going through the "loop" to find yourself that you're back into the initial area is a pretty cool feeling. The other secret was also easy to find, where you have to shot a hidden switch and go back to find the hidden passage. Action was mostly easy and straightfoward, a little bit too much meat for my tastes, but still a very good opener.

2: Things get real soon you start playing this map: It has a lot more enemies and it's definitely longer. My favorite area was the underground acid pool which stuck in my memory and has some very cool encounter design. Another good moment of pressure was the red-marble room where Cacodemons come out from the flames and the exit with a small swarm of Cacodemons. The layout itself this time is a lot more non-linear, giving space to explore a bit, but never making the player to get lost. Playing through it again was a really cool experience.

3: Difficulty keeps raising up, and this is the first level that I got myself dead. Lot of cool vistas and interconnections, such as the main hallway (close to the Blue Key), the outdoor area (where I wasn't able to figure out how to get that soulsphere >.<) and the underground exit area past the crushers. This level is again very non-linear, and sometimes I didn't know exactly what I was doing, but I was making progress haha. The encounter that lowers the BK can be diffficulty, especially due to lack of health in the later sections, which was a good thing for me, since even if you end up with 10% health, you still can make good progress and survive. Loved it.

E2M3: The Wailing Halls

100% kills, 2/3 secrets

The start of this can be dangerous with lots of shotgunners hidden on ledges or in dark cubbies who can easily take big chunks out of your unarmored body, once you get some armor (and the big guns) though things get easier. This one has another example of what I consider unintuitive progression (or at least, very gamey), where the player drops down to grab the blue armor, fights his way back and some bars have mysteriously lowered. Took me awhile to realize the bars by the elevator were connected to the bars by the skull switch, too. The last big battle didn't do much for me, as the small doorways meant it was far too easy to just sit back and let the monsters file in one by one (especially the fliers). Weirdly silent once you grab the blue key, was well (no monsters from the blue bars to the exit).

MAP08 - Taioron - 10/11 Secrets
Whew! You guys were serious when you said this was a long map! The map is a little bit overwhelming, both in the quantity of level (ie. the area it covers) but also the scale of many of the areas and structures, with the cavernous corridor areas in the initial building being particularly prominent - they put me in mind of Michael Krause's maps. These areas do not prevail universally, and are contrasted with several comparatively cramped areas.

I'm quite grateful for @TheOrganGrinder's precis of the level in the three distinct sections which is a pretty good summary, as otherwise it's a little tough to digest. These areas where the cyb battles take place stood out to me most though, and I will join in @Magnus in complimenting the design of the cyb fight in the yellow key area with the archies - that is an excellent use of monsters to compliment their strengths and complicate dealing with them. I believe the music is tubular bells and I agree with @Magnusblitz that it's atmospheric, although I think this is always going to be limited in a brightly themed mapset like this with such a busy and well-populated map.

This map counters my criticism of the previous map about 'gatekeeper' bosses that aren't able to roam or have built-in, easy cover. Here the three cybs do still have cover but are all able to roam their respective areas whilst presenting you with other monsters to deal with - the result is far more interesting than Map07's encounters so well done to Mr Monti for being quick to confound me. It's not all big boss battles though and the quieter, cramped moments  in the maze for example or in the side areas in the southern building give a nice variety to play, even if the map is so big they did start to blend into one for me a little bit.

The map naturally encourages exploring the slime channel (particularly with the many hidden secrets in Monti's maps), and it struck me after just a little bit of exploration that this would be the key to many of the map's secrets, as indeed it was. Also the teleporters that throw you around the level are also disorientating, but helpful for getting past and then dealing with the spider mastermind on the long catwalk when you have the BFG. Although that brought out in it's own issues in then needing to deal with the Cyb and accomplices near the exit.

I don't think I can get this far without having to applaud the epic scope and ambition of this map, although I'm glad that they aren't all present like this as it is a lot. I also appreciate the number and hiding methods of the secrets to hunt for, as by now Monti's methods are becoming more familiar. Good map, although it is a slog, and I wouldn't want to play maps of this length every day.

MAP09 - Tears in Caelo - 0/1 Secrets
And in contrast to the last map, we have this conclusion, which in spite of the monsterless areas is still quite brief. I respect @TheOrganGrinder's comments about how bizarre the atmosphere is in comparison to most other Doom wads, but I'm starting to think that contrast, and a disregard for convention are Nicolas Monti hallmarks, with contrast in: texture choice; architecture (with the vast coupled with the small) and; the more rocket launcher focused gameplay (in partial rejection of the usual bread and butter shotgun action). Instead of monsters in the earlier parts, we instead get a show case of architecture, with the external two tech towers across the void and (for me) the tall veranda pillars area with the BFG being particularly good looking, although other parts are varied and visually interesting too.

The one area of combat prior to the final arena with the zombiemen can actually take a surprisingly significant portion of your health, particularly if you are slow to chaingun your way to the switch; getting your back to the wall and using the alcove of the walls to cut the line of sight for the hitscanners is the most important thing, whereas I made the (essentially irrelevant) mistake of just trying to chaingun a bunch from the centre where you are more exposed.

The final fight is a matter of loosening one's BFG trigger finger after the first few riff-raff teleport in and then prioritise the arch-viles and then pain elementals. For me the concern was less so much the resurrections which due to the rate at which fresh enemies were teleporting in resulted in comparatively few additional monsters being added to become BFG'd/victims of infighting but rather the archies' unavoidable attack. It's good to try and stay close to the central pillar as it is quite crucial for breaking line of sight and replenishing the player's health, and being close permits a swift circumnavigation, but it quickly gets crowded so I did tend to take a few AV burns. Probably I needed to be more aggressive with the BFG, really.

I didn't hang around too long trying to find the one secret in this map (even though with there being only one  then it adds to the desire to find it and gain another 100%) -- after having located the secret in an editor after finishing, I think this was the right choice as I doubt I would have found it. This was an architecturally good looking map, and in some ways a neat send-off, though I agree with @Magnus that the monsterless part was an interesting idea that seemed as though it was trying to portray something, but didn't.

E2M4: Hive of the Horde

100% kills, 6/7 secrets

Things get even meaner here, as it's quite possible to get overwhelmed from the flurry of fireballs that will be flung at you in various places early on, and not having much room to maneuver. It's also very easy to get bushwacked in the yellow key 'column' room, especially with monsters on both the top and the bottom portions... I'm not sure if it's a use of verticality I like, since the height difference and small surroundings means the player won't really be able to functionally shoot up and down, but the monsters sure will. But you can also argue it means the player needs to be more aware of their surroundings and careful about the monsters, keeping track of lost souls that might swoop down or sergeants that will plink at you from below. Once you get to the midpoint of the map things loosen up, but there's still enough monster meat to keep things interesting. There's plenty of nooks and crannies to explore, including a nice multi-secret bit of work for the BFG. I liked the re-use of the room right before the exit room, it doesn't add anything gameplay-wise but helps create some cohesion that gives it a sense of feeling like a real place despite the very classic abstract nature of everything.

E2M3: The Wailing Halls

A super interconnected map, with multiple floors that you maneuver around to access more areas, and eventually the key needed to exit. The ending ambush of teleporting monsters puts your awareness of the map to the test, as Lost Souls and Cacos and Spectres roam around to your position and impede your movement. This ambush is the combat highlight of the map, which gives you a good amount of exploration and switch pushing to keep you invested.

E2M4: Hive of the Horde

There's a really strong flow to this map, continuing the sense of moving back and forth between areas, finding new paths and rooms. The packed group of pillars stands out and is a near center hub, even if it leads to some infinitely tall fun.  I ended up clearing out the bottom of it and wandering around the surroundings before finding the lift up to the top floor. There’s a neat visual too, first heading to the yellow key, of the walls lowering to reveal the rockred alcoves of monsters hiding, the hellishness waiting in the ruined base.

The cramped corridors and pillars share space with a couple of more spacious arenas. One of them pitting you against caged imps on each side picking at you, the other with the wall to the eventual exit lowering with an ambush of baddies. Smooth of the map too, to introduce the rocket launcher right before a bunch of lost souls come out.

Okay, now that a priority in my life has softened a bunch, I have a little more optimism to continue everyday from here on out. With Monti's episode covered, let's move on to Chris Hansen territory. He has been around for years and this would be my formal introduction to his solo works. What we know is that all of the maps aren't exactly new but refreshed from previous releases, and so not to spoil myself I refused to read the whole text file and play with my memory. At least one layout was in 2002:ADO, only half different and maybe even cuter now. Rest was fresh as fish. Also many familiar midis where I'll save my thoughts for later. Once again, Crispy Doom for playthrough and GLBoom+ for video conversion, Ultra Violence, pistol starts and saving when I want to. Blah blah etc just eat the damn orange me!

MAP01: Rip and Tear

Oh my goodness what are those shades, those contrasts, also is that young Donald Trump in the status bar?. UH okay jk, I loved the customized palette. The bubblegum pink tone makes certain enemies look chewy and fierce, and the red/orange shades sort of set a different atmosphere, hard to describe, feels as if these technological bases and other places are closer to the nucleus of the planet so you're under constant heat without overwhelming your body. Add the music composition by Jimmy, which gave me Jazz Jackrabbit vibes, my first thought was this was going to be a detour from any traditional wads trying to emulate Romero and co. I instantly corrected myself because I never mind stuff like that as long as it's fun for me. And I wouldn't call this a departure but there are a few interesting things to be seen in future maps.

So that was the case, pretty fun stuff, from the first sandwich SG trap to the, well pretty much that was the highlight gameplay-wise, with the addition of optional easy-going 'zerk action if desired. The pop up cacodemon and minions are my only gripe, because things magically appearing out of normal floor make no sense imo (exceptions exist though). I know Hansen has a thing for orthogonal shapes and narrowness, as also the incidental curvy corner reminding us geometry variance is sexy indeed. Oh and vines!. He has good taste for attractive rooms and texture arrangements. All in all, simple cute map, very fitting track for an opener. Must say, while generally Doom 1 anything is appetizing for me, the palette and music enhance the experience a lot. Kudos for that sir Hansen.

@Salt-Man Z That switch was always there in sight :P

Spoiler

Edited by galileo31dos01