Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChicagoTrash

Editting weapons

Question

I was wondering if there was a way to alter the fire rate/ammo type of Doom's weapons. Maybe adding an alt-fire?

2 answers to this question

You can use inheritance to create via DECORATE a new weapon that replaces the default one. 

Of course you still have to write the code for the new weapon.

However: inheritance is a special DECORATE command that allows you to modify an actor without deleting all of his properties. The new actor will have all the properties of the previous one, exept the ones that you are going to modify (for example, if you use inheritance to modify a caco to give him 10000 health, the new actor will be exactly like the old caco despite the health). You don't have to write all the code again, you simply have to write the parts of it that you want to change in the way that you want them to change (in our previous example, you could simply write "health 10000" and you are done).

To start inheritance you simply have to write the following code (we are going to modify always the caco):

Spoiler

Actor nicename : cacodemon 9500

{

Health 10000

}

9500 is the editnumber of your new actor, be sure to use a number that isn't used by something else (10000+ should be a safe choice)

If you have done everything right, the new actor will appear in the editor in the decorate section of your thing tab.

The easiest way to edit a fire rate on a gun is to simply reduce its delay in the animation section. Normally a FIRE statement would look something like this for example:

FIRE:

FSNG D 4

FSNG EF 5

FSNG G 4 A_CUSTOMPROJECTILE (Custom projectile data here)

FSNG H 3

FSNG I 3 A_REFIRE

If however you want to speed it up, then do this:

FIRE:

FSNG D 2

FSNG EF 3

FSNG G 2 A_CUSTOMPROJECTILE (Custom projectile data here)

FSNG H 1

FSNG I 1 A_REFIRE

Simply shrinking the numbers will speed up the animations and thus speed up the fire rate. This however can be a little wonky so do test before releasing it.

Another method that I DON'T recommend is simply chop out animation frames:

FIRE:

FSNG D 4

FSNG F 5

FSNG H 4 A_CUSTOMPROJECTILE (Custom projectile data here)

FSNG I 3 A_REFIRE

This not only looks choppy but also gets confusing if you don't rename things properly.